collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127384 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5675 on: May 20, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »
The audience of your message shouldn't be those open protesters, they are either astroturfers or unconvincable no matter what approach/tactic you take. Your audience are the Karen's and Karl's at home who are persuadable. Or the people in this thread that are skeptical but not unreasonable people, etc.

I can't do the math, but if 100% compliance yields 75% elimination of transmission then 80% compliance also yields a non-zero reduction in transmission. In this case, half measures make an impact too.

But you even see it here. "They told us masks are useless, now they say wear them. Why should I listen to them now?"
Has anyone here changed their mind about wearing masks? Doubt it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5676 on: May 20, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »
Nah they banned chicos. they banned jb. you kept saying how they were the problem and why you do what you do.

But they are gone and you are still doing the same political crap.

Or, a radical idea, don't respond to it if you think its political. This message board tattletelling and scalp taking has made all the Scoop boards unreadable.

I clearly don't agree with some in this thread, which is great. I actually want my mind changed and thoughts challenged, it's how I learn. But all this "look at him look at him, hes being bad" is just an attempt at suppression.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5677 on: May 20, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
When the protestors started in Michigan, I attempted to differentiate between the whack jobs looking for an excuse to carry an AR15 into the capital and those who had reasoned, principled arguments for wanting the quarantining eased.    I could make the case that certain additional industries should be allowed to open sooner and totally understood that argument.   
   With masks, it feels like the principled are aligning themselves with the goons.   Perhaps out of frustration.    I know that I tune out the overweight shaved head guy with the ZZ Top beard waving a rebel flag and his AR15 complaining he is being oppressed.   And sadly, for me, allowing that person to be the face of a movement cheapens and weakens and basically neutralizes any principled argument.

Because I  intellectually understand and have sympathy for the arguments for wanting to reopen.   Less so for not wearing masks.  And I think that if the masks were more universally embraced, opening would be easier.

Loud applause emoji
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5678 on: May 20, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
But you even see it here. "They told us masks are useless, now they say wear them. Why should I listen to them now?"
Has anyone here changed their mind about wearing masks? Doubt it.

Have you asked?

I will, anyone change their mind on masks? What was your position and why did it change?

Edit: I've talked people in real life into wearing a mask. People have a tough time understanding that the mask stops/limits the air droplets the virus depends on for transfer and aren't stopping things at the microscopic level. The number of people who were surprised by the basic science is pretty large....not everyone has the privilege of this board's educational background  ;D

Edit 2: it's not just the don't wear them no wait now wear them. It's the shut down itself that reinforces the resistance....."well if masks work, why did we have to shut down in the first place?" Lots of mixed messages (which I 100% agree that if Trump wore a mask this would get way better)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:13:58 PM by mu03eng »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5679 on: May 20, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
Well figured I'd reinforce the concept.

Wasn't necessary. My post wasn't debating the effectiveness, or reasons for wearing them. I get all that and comply when I have to.

I'm just tired of the snap judgments and broad strokes people are using, and not just here. That's all.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5680 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:19 PM »
Nah they banned chicos. they banned jb. you kept saying how they were the problem and why you do what you do.

JB wasn’t banned for politics. Reasonably sure Chico’s wasn’t either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5681 on: May 20, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »
Or, a radical idea, don't respond to it if you think its political. This message board tattletelling and scalp taking has made all the Scoop boards unreadable.

I clearly don't agree with some in this thread, which is great. I actually want my mind changed and thoughts challenged, it's how I learn. But all this "look at him look at him, hes being bad" is just an attempt at suppression.

I haven't responded. Until it affected me.

Mu82 and his antics have gotten the Wisconsin thread locked. Twice. He did the same thing with 2 baseball threads last year. We've banned the two other problematic children. Its time he goes as well.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:14:02 PM by #UnleashJayce »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5682 on: May 20, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
JB wasn’t banned for politics. Reasonably sure Chico’s wasn’t either.

No they were banned for their disruptive behavior and getting threads locked. Exactly like 82.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5683 on: May 20, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
Honest question, how much of the non-mask wearing public do you think fits in the bucket you are describing?

I spoke of three buckets - those making a political statement, those buying into conspiracy theories and those who aren't comfortable with it. I believe the vast majority of the non-mask wearing public falls into one of those categories, with the latter including people who just don't like it.
And with some exceptions among the third group (i.e. those who may suffer severe facial irritation something like that), they're all being selfish.

Apparently some men don't wear masks because "it's not cool."
https://psyarxiv.com/tg7vz?mod=article_inline

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5684 on: May 20, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
No they were banned for their disruptive behavior and getting threads locked. Exactly like 82.

JB was banned for repeatedly lobbing personal and often crude insults at other Scoopers.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5685 on: May 20, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
JB was banned for repeatedly lobbing personal and often crude insults at other Scoopers.

Disruptive behavior   ?-(

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5686 on: May 20, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »

The connection you are trying to make here is incorrect, UJ.

Look, if the mods say right this second, "OK, everybody, we've had our fun but no more political comments related to COVID-19 or it will be an instant banhammer," I would stop making political comments. Maybe you and the dozens of others who routinely make political comments on this "Child Board" would do the same.

OK ... I felt I had the right to defend myself ... now I will again refrain from commenting for awhile and continue to benefit from mu03eng's discussion with others.

UJ, I sincerely hope you have a safe, healthy, satisfying day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5687 on: May 20, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
I spoke of three buckets - those making a political statement, those buying into conspiracy theories and those who aren't comfortable with it. I believe the vast majority of the non-mask wearing public falls into one of those categories, with the latter including people who just don't like it.
And with some exceptions among the third group (i.e. those who may suffer severe facial irritation something like that), they're all being selfish.

Apparently some men don't wear masks because "it's not cool."
https://psyarxiv.com/tg7vz?mod=article_inline

I generally agree, and its definitely bucket 3 and a little of bucket that I'm advocating needs polite outreach to articulate the cost-benefit analysis....ultimately they are selfish but humans are inherently selfish and they might also be ignorant of the C-B

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5688 on: May 20, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
Let me re-articulate 1 because I think we're in strong agreement, I just didnt explain well. Over the last several months, the narrative within the media has felt like somehow Coronavirus is unique as a virus,  obviously it is unique to some extent, but the feel has been that even the base understanding of how viruses transmit could be undercut by this new virus. What I saying is that the fundamentals are still the fundamentals but that feels like it's been lost in the breathless and sometimes sensational reporting. I mean, we had panic about beaches and parks being open, the fundamentals would say those are some of the safest places to have open.

You are right, we are in strong agreement. I also agree that in general beaches and parks are very safe places to be. As long as there is some degree of social distancing (that wasn't the case for beaches during spring break).

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5689 on: May 20, 2020, 01:12:31 PM »
Have you asked?

I will, anyone change their mind on masks? What was your position and why did it change?

Edit: I've talked people in real life into wearing a mask. People have a tough time understanding that the mask stops/limits the air droplets the virus depends on for transfer and aren't stopping things at the microscopic level. The number of people who were surprised by the basic science is pretty large....not everyone has the privilege of this board's educational background  ;D

Edit 2: it's not just the don't wear them no wait now wear them. It's the shut down itself that reinforces the resistance....."well if masks work, why did we have to shut down in the first place?" Lots of mixed messages (which I 100% agree that if Trump wore a mask this would get way better)

My mind has changed. I initially didn’t wear a mask for my grocery store or Home Depot runs because there were a number of reasons that were given they didn’t work. Poor fitting, causes you to touch your face more, and material didn’t really do much unless N95. In some ways, it caused more harm than good.

I’ve changed based on guidance that it does help slow the spread. The poor fit does cause me to touch my face more, so maybe that’s just a me problem of not finding the right mask. However, when I’m in a store or running an errand, I wear it now.

I also worry if touching the mask when taking on and off will cause me to touch Covid germs on my mask and get on my face. I’m not totally sure if that’s a reasonable fear, but has made me hesitant to put on a mask if it’s a quick trip somewhere.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5690 on: May 20, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
The connection you are trying to make here is incorrect, UJ.

Maybe you and the dozens of others who routinely make political comments on this "Child Board" would do the same.

I'll stop after this. If you can find political posts I make, that would be great.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5691 on: May 20, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
I'll stop after this. If you can find political posts I make, that would be great.

If you’ve never made political posts, I apologize for misrepresenting you. Otherwise, I’ve sent you a PM.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5692 on: May 20, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
Once a person has reached age 75, his/her average life expectancy is another 11 years. Many of those people are very fit, especially for somebody that age. Some are still freakin' working.

My parents were still playing tennis well into their 70s. My father-in-law worked until he was 84, still living by himself at 89, and is still in decent shape at 94.

Obviously, many 75+ are not in good health, but the notion that these folks are "disposable" is sickening.

Not saying you were insinuating that, WD/chicos/hoopaloop.

Disposable?  Blood on his hands? Are you insinuating he said that?  He is pragmatic, but because he said it we're ok with it?

Andrew Cuomo May 17th  “Older people, vulnerable people, are going to die from this virus,” the governor said today when asked about whether more should have been done to protect nursing homes residents. “That is going to happen. Despite whatever you do.”

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5693 on: May 20, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »

I also worry if touching the mask when taking on and off will cause me to touch Covid germs on my mask and get on my face. I’m not totally sure if that’s a reasonable fear, but has made me hesitant to put on a mask if it’s a quick trip somewhere.

That is something i worry about as well

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5694 on: May 20, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »
That is something i worry about as well

Wash/sterilize your hands immediately before and after you remove your mask and you're good to go

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5695 on: May 20, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »

I have worried about this, but if you take your mask off then wash your hands or sanitize your hands with a wipe that worry can be lessened.  I’m pretty much resigned that the mask isn’t great at preventing me from getting sick.  But if I do it and the sick person does it, then we are more likely to have less virus floating around. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5696 on: May 20, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
Wash/sterilize your hands immediately before and after you remove your mask and you're good to go

I keep hand sanitizer in the car and the first thing I do after taking my mask off is hand sanitize.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5697 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »

Yep. I wash my hands and then put on my mask before I even get in the car for a short errand, and then take it off only after I get back in the house and wash my hands again.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5698 on: May 20, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »

Ideally, you haven't contacted any "public" surface before putting the mask on.  Do it in your car or in a parking lot.  Then, yes, you need to make sure it's fitted such that you don't need to touch it until taking it off.  Then assuming it's not a disposable mask, you should use hand sanitizer before taking it off (after touching all the "dangerous" public surfaces). 

If you just follow those steps, getting sick BECAUSE of wearing a mask is virtually eliminated.  The danger is really in your hands, and what else you've touched.   It's unlikely COVID germs would have been "deposited" on your mask - unless you were too close to people, or one of those heathens  referenced above coughed on you :) (Joke - take it easy...)

If you can, only handle it by the elastic/straps (not often possible).   Oh and wash/disinfect your mask when possible in the times between using it.

Maybe I'll publish this as Rocky's tips to safer mask usage...

I keep hand sanitizer in the car and the first thing I do after taking my mask off is hand sanitize.

If you take your mask off then wash your hands or sanitize your hands with a wipe that worry can be lessened.

To be safe, you should really sanitize your hands before taking the mask off.  If you can't take it off without touching it a lot, then after is good too...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:23:12 PM by rocky_warrior »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5699 on: May 20, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »
I appreciate the feedback everyone. These are great tips. I’ve been keeping the mask mostly in my car, so may just have to get some hand sanitizer in there.