collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127399 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4850 on: May 04, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »
What's wrong with liquor stores? In some areas that liquor store is the primary grocery store. I feel like there's a lot of better things to get frustrated about than those

In cases where that is true, they would fall under the grocery store exception.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4851 on: May 04, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
The only hope is we find effective treatments and soon.

This always was the only hope.
The leadership at the top has been incompetent and negligent at best and I have zero doubt that has made the situation worse.
But it's also a feature of our system that there never was going to be a unified, national approach to this. We can debate the New Zealand approach vs the Sweden approach vs any other approach all we want, but none of them would have produced similar results here because of who we are.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4852 on: May 04, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »
We seem closest to the Brazil approach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4853 on: May 04, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »
This always was the only hope.
The leadership at the top has been incompetent and negligent at best and I have zero doubt that has made the situation worse.
But it's also a feature of our system that there never was going to be a unified, national approach to this. We can debate the New Zealand approach vs the Sweden approach vs any other approach all we want, but none of them would have produced similar results here because of who we are.

Precisely, and now we're going to put our doctors and nurses in more danger so Karen and Todd can get haircuts and other bullspit for two weeks... when we realize what a terrible decision we've made.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4854 on: May 04, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »

You are correct - it would never be fully unified like in SK or China.

But if we had a strong president who emphatically and consistently encouraged stay-at-home orders, and leaned hard on governors who didn't follow, we could have been close. Look at the reality - most of the states that were late in closing or that never closed have Republican governors. And they knew he wasn't really serious about stay-at-home orders, because he waffled back and forth between that and his 'liberate' tweets. A strong leader who took the experts seriously might very well have gotten us to 90% or better compliance in closing and then opening up in a more scientifically sound manner...and that would have been much better than we got.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4855 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
I actually think the next month will be interesting.  In my opinion, the northeast went through a real hard phase 1 of this because we had no confirmation it was circulating.  It damn near broke the health system, and caused really bad deaths/1M (like worse than Italy, Spain, UK or pretty much anywhere else).  People here are shell shocked, but I think there is a hope we can relax a bit now that the health system caught up.  The govt's are going to find ways to turn things on and are working to improve testing and tracing. 

The other parts of the country acted quick enough to slow that from happening, benefited to some degree and now are quick to return. 

We (the NE) may actually get to learn from them this time .  Most people are tired of this, but also have low desire to go back to the way it was until at least later this month.   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4856 on: May 04, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
On behalf of your inferiors everywhere, thanks for your prayers that we be delivered from our stupidity. So thoughtful, so kind - just what we hope for from our superiors.

Apologies that despite your efforts we continue to disappoint you. It must make your life very difficult.

The fact that you responded in this manner to a post that wasn't directed specifically at you says it all. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4857 on: May 04, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »
I actually think the next month will be interesting.  In my opinion, the northeast went through a real hard phase 1 of this because we had no confirmation it was circulating.  It damn near broke the health system, and caused really bad deaths/1M (like worse than Italy, Spain, UK or pretty much anywhere else).  People here are shell shocked, but I think there is a hope we can relax a bit now that the health system caught up.  The govt's are going to find ways to turn things on and are working to improve testing and tracing. 

The other parts of the country acted quick enough to slow that from happening, benefited to some degree and now are quick to return. 

We (the NE) may actually get to learn from them this time .  Most people are tired of this, but also have low desire to go back to the way it was until at least later this month.

Frenn,
Was speaking with a business acquaintance on Friday who lives in sparsely populated (for Connecticut) Windham County.  He's fairly certain he and whole family had Coronavirus in late January / early February.  He said it was also going through all the schools in the area.   He had all the symptoms.  There are several Prep Schools in the area among them The Woodstock Academy and Pomfret School who have numbers of international students including Chinese.   He knows someone at The Woodstock Academy who told him "we figured early we might have a problem because we got 5 students from Wuhan."  All the students came back early after New Year's and the thought is some had it and it passed through to the locals.

On a good note, over the weekend I saw my neighbor works in the Yale-New Haven Hospital Medical Lab and she has obviously been very busy but said the hospital was ramping up now for massive increases in testing.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4858 on: May 04, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
On a good note, over the weekend I saw my neighbor works in the Yale-New Haven Hospital Medical Lab and she has obviously been very busy but said the hospital was ramping up now for massive increases in testing.

I think CT is up to 10-12 days of declining hospitalization—which is awesome.  We are also very close the to testing recommended by the Harvard study.  Hopefully can help us keep it better contained for eventual new normal or round two if it comes. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4859 on: May 04, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

You are correct - it would never be fully unified like in SK or China.

But if we had a strong president who emphatically and consistently encouraged stay-at-home orders, and leaned hard on governors who didn't follow, we could have been close. Look at the reality - most of the states that were late in closing or that never closed have Republican governors. And they knew he wasn't really serious about stay-at-home orders, because he waffled back and forth between that and his 'liberate' tweets. A strong leader who took the experts seriously might very well have gotten us to 90% or better compliance in closing and then opening up in a more scientifically sound manner...and that would have been much better than we got.

It would be nice to think so, but the cynical portion of me has its doubts.
We live in a country where powerful influences on both sides of the debate (looking at you Fox News and MSNBC) have worked very hard to profit off portraying the other side not just as wrong, but as malevolent. Where a president has spent the last few years openly attacking and fomenting distrust in our institutions. Where a significant portion of our population view our government as a swamp. Where the phrase "government worker" is used as a pejorative.

I agree that a better president would have produced better results, but I think the combination of our political structure combined with our current political climate and culture would make it very difficult to bring about a unified approach.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #4860 on: May 04, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
Agreed, whether you like his politics or not, is one thing. But he is a genuinely enjoyable and kind individual.

Yeah I don't think it is a matter of disagreeing with politics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4861 on: May 04, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »

It would be nice to think so, but the cynical portion of me has its doubts.
We live in a country where powerful influences on both sides of the debate (looking at you Fox News and MSNBC) have worked very hard to profit off portraying the other side not just as wrong, but as malevolent. Where a president has spent the last few years openly attacking and fomenting distrust in our institutions. Where a significant portion of our population view our government as a swamp. Where the phrase "government worker" is used as a pejorative.

I agree that a better president would have produced better results, but I think the combination of our political structure combined with our current political climate and culture would make it very difficult to bring about a unified approach.

I get what you are saying - we already had a very polarized society, and along came a presidential candidate who saw the fire and poured gasoline on it with "fake news!" "lock her up!" and "drain the swamp!" And he won so the polarization went nuclear.

But my hope was that the person who had widened the divide also had the ability to narrow it in the face of a catastrophe. And I think he could have, if only he had recognized and seized the opportunity.

Alas.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4862 on: May 04, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »
He makes some good points in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/28I5WyLp15o
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4863 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:47 PM »
He doesn't have to turn it on, hes always been charming.  Politics and presidency aside, hes always been an enjoyable and charismatic person to be around.  Michelle Obama loves him, that speaks volumes.
m

He was destroyed by 1/2 the country.  As was Obama.  As were others.  That’s all we do is destroy these people, that is 100% the goal of the resistance the other side puts up.  It didn’t always used to be that way. 
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4864 on: May 04, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
Alexander Hamilton misses the genteel old days.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4865 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:41 PM »

One can always serve up the exception as the rule.  We have had periods of time with cooperation and bipartisanship, and periods of endless fighting.  Guess which one we are in now.
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4866 on: May 04, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »

Lincoln, too. He was one of the two worst-treated presidents in history, I'm told.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4867 on: May 04, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »
One can always serve up the exception as the rule.  We have had periods of time with cooperation and bipartisanship, and periods of endless fighting.  Guess which one we are in now.

For someone like yourself who has only ever voted left, your posting sure seems like we're in a period of time with cooperation and bipartisanship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4869 on: May 04, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »
This would be crazy if true.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/europe/496075-french-hospital-discovers-it-treated-coronavirus-patient-in

Two things, if this is true, and not just a false positive.

1. I'd love to see the genetic sequence of this positive test. What mutations are present? We know that it had to be circulating either in animals or humans for a while before being able to spread more readily in humans.

2. This could call into question whether this actually started in China at all, or if they were just one of the earliest nations to have the version most able to spread person to person.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4870 on: May 04, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »

Rose.  Tinted.  Glasses.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4871 on: May 04, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
Lincoln, too. He was one of the two worst-treated presidents in history, I'm told.

People say.

And they say it very strongly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4872 on: May 04, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
A tiny glimmer of hope? Study finds COVID-19 mutation weakening virus, similar to what happened with SARS.
Obviously a lot of caveats here, but you take hope where you can get it.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/asu-ast050420.php

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4873 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:21 PM »
The fact that you responded in this manner to a post that wasn't directed specifically at you says it all.

In many ways people are the sum of their experiences. Judging people stupid because their biases are different from yours says nothing about them and volumes about you. It doesn’t advance the discussion - it stops it in its tracks.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4874 on: May 04, 2020, 10:59:18 PM »
    "A strong leader who took the experts seriously might very well have gotten us to 90% or better compliance in closing and then opening up in a more scientifically sound manner...and that would have been much better than we got."

who are these people you refer to as "experts"?  i've been saying this all along.  if we ran a montage of wjat the various "experts" have said over time, they were only expertly right until they were proven wrong.  then it was the next man/woman up.

that aside, dr fauci should know a little more than some with regards to this bat virus test as he was for it before he was against it, eyn'a?  i
    think he' got some "splaining to do

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741

don't...don't don't don't don't