collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127412 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4325 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »

The problem we have come to as a nation is that people who hate Trump will attack whatever he does only because it is him.  Good decisions by him are automatically labeled.  He has brought that on himself with media attacks, but they want to take him down so badly that their initial response is to attack

Good decisions automatically labeled, initial response is to attack...hmmm, who does that sound like?

Yes, many people have attacked Trump from the moment he took office, but I suspect it was because he was maliciously attacking others long before that. And even though both sides are still attacking, Trump is still the most aggressive and high-profile attacker. Less than 24 hours after telling the governors to make the decisions themselves using sensible guidelines, he started ripping many of them for doing exactly what he asked.

If Trump wants to have any chance to stop the attacks, he needs either to

* lead us through this by pushing CDC to fix its failed efforts at testing, by taking the lead on testing and contact tracing; or
* delegate testing, contact tracing and decisions to reopen to the states and then stop criticizing them for doing it.

Regrettably, I doubt he has it in him to do either. I will be the first to admit I was wrong if he does one of the two above....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:18:44 PM by GooooMarquette »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4326 on: April 18, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
So yeah, Elon Musk...

Elon Musk Promised Ventilators. None of Them Showed Up

Tesla's CEO faces criticism over his bold promises. Why keeping your promise matters.

Elon Musk is no stranger to bold promises or controversy. They frequently travel together in his case. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise then that Musk is facing criticism for failing to live up to one of those bold promises. Except in this case, when you promise to deliver life-saving ventilators and you don't, it's more than simply controversial.

Over the past few weeks, Musk's public statements on ventilators have included statements that Tesla would manufacture them if needed, that he had purchased 1,000 "FDA approved ventilators," and that he had sent those to hospitals.

The problem is no hospitals have actually received ventilators from Musk or Tesla. Instead, some of what was donated and sent to hospitals were devices used to treat sleep apnea. Known as BiPAP machines, those devices don't force air directly into the lungs using a breathing tube--which is required for patients suffering from severe forms of Covid-19.

In addition, the California Governor's office has said none of the hospitals in that state have received any ventilators that were promised.

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/elon-musk-promised-ventilators-none-showed-up.html

Appears the media was sloppy with this one.  HBO last night on the Bill Maher show he had a great line.  Don’t let Trump’s Fake News charged become true as it only helps him.

Case in point, Musk did deliver what the hospitals asked of him. They thanked him on Twitter yesterday and today despite the erroneous reporting by CNN.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/04/19/there-are-no-missing-ventilators-elon-tesla-kept-their-promise/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4327 on: April 19, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
Appears the media was sloppy with this one.  HBO last night on the Bill Maher show he had a great line.  Don’t let Trump’s Fake News charged become true as it only helps him.

Case in point, Musk did deliver what the hospitals asked of him. They thanked him on Twitter yesterday and today despite the erroneous reporting by CNN.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/04/19/there-are-no-missing-ventilators-elon-tesla-kept-their-promise/

The article TSmith posted is accurate. It clearly indicates that he did send BiPAP machines, which aren't invasive ventilators. They technically constitute a type of "ventilator" but were not what was promised.

Also, saying the media is sloppy on this one is inaccurate. The article you link indicates that the media asked Tesla and Musk for comment and they refused to comment.

Seems like you have a vendetta against media.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:29:17 AM by forgetful »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4329 on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:45 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4330 on: April 19, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Yesterday, trump claimed he has saved a billion lives by his actions on Covid-19. 13% of all human life on Earth.

Anyone besides Hutch, rocket, ziggy or 4never believe it?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4331 on: April 19, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
It should be a spectacular 5.5 months of dueling misstatements and malapropisms. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4332 on: April 19, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Yesterday, trump claimed he has saved a billion lives by his actions on Covid-19. 13% of all human life on Earth.

Seems legit. Given his history of honesty and fact-based statements why should anyone doubt the words of our Great Leader?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4333 on: April 19, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/18/asia/singapore-coronavirus-response-intl-hnk/index.html

Singapore looks like a great case study for how things should be handled, and what can go wrong.

They had tremendous initial success for two big reasons.

1. A great tracking and tracing program for testing. They were able to identify cases early.

2. If one tested positive. They were placed in hospitals and isolated from the community .

These are textbook methods in mitigating spread of a disease. It is also what they eventually did in Wuhan to quench the virus.

Now it seems to be failing, the why is equally interesting. They didn't test poor impoverished areas of migrant camps. Essentially, they ignored the undesirable population. They missed these cases and now they have spread. Not surprisingly, it will disproportionately affect the poor.

We never did 1 and 2, we also ignored the poor. Which is why are situation is drastically different.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4334 on: April 19, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4335 on: April 19, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »

Can you prove he didn't save a billion lives?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4336 on: April 19, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »
Joe Rogan is buying tests and testing all of his guests.

Is this good/bad/neither?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/884yka/joe-rogan-podcast-covid-19-testing?utm_content=1587140885&utm_medium=social&utm_source=VICE_twitter

I think its great.  Businesses/factories should start doing this too.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4337 on: April 19, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »

I have no problem with it in general. But they should be using FDA approved tests that have been widely validated in terms of false positives/false negatives.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4338 on: April 19, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
That settles it. Between Trump saving 1 billion lives and Ivanka creating 15 million jobs, how could you vote for anyone else?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4339 on: April 19, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »

Contact tracing

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/493416-why-contact-tracers-are-key-to-unlocking-economy

Yep - I've been harping on this for weeks. And if the administration demanded that the CDC jump all over this back in January or February, the resource needs would have been far less than 100,000 people at a price tag of $3.6B.

Instead, he was hoping for his miracle....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #4340 on: April 19, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »

Where would businesses/factories get all of those tests?

I have been on this for more than 6 weeks. We need more testing!!

We don't have it because the orange clown who could make it happen, wont.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4341 on: April 19, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
Where would businesses/factories get all of those tests?

I have been on this for more than 6 weeks. We need more testing!!

We don't have it because the orange clown who could make it happen, wont.

They can fund/procure it.  I think it would be more efficient if we did this centrally/nationally but it’s not an impossibility for a corporation to pull off.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #4342 on: April 19, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
They can fund/procure it.  I think it would be more efficient if we did this centrally/nationally but it’s not an impossibility for a corporation to pull off.

I'd like to think you are right, Frenns, but without using the DPA, I see no way we can get to the level of testing needed.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4343 on: April 19, 2020, 03:58:46 PM »
I'd like to think you are right, Frenns, but without using the DPA, I see no way we can get to the level of testing needed.

I’m not making a comment on testing needed...but sans a better wholistic system this can contribute to keeping essential industries running and safe.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4344 on: April 19, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
The article TSmith posted is accurate. It clearly indicates that he did send BiPAP machines, which aren't invasive ventilators. They technically constitute a type of "ventilator" but were not what was promised.

Also, saying the media is sloppy on this one is inaccurate. The article you link indicates that the media asked Tesla and Musk for comment and they refused to comment.

Seems like you have a vendetta against media.

The FDA approved the ventilators he provided for use on COVID patients several weeks ago.  In reading the article I attached the hospitals were extremely grateful for the donations, they took the appropriate path here.  There are multiple Twitter and instagram links directly to responses by the doctors and how they are using them for COVID purposes.

The media are an enterprising lot to get a story.  They do tremendous work for our democracy, but occasionally in today’s gotcha culture if they can make someone they do not like look bad they will.  It would not have been difficult for them to work a bit harder on this one.  The CNN reporter doubling and tripling down and Twitter users correcting him every bit of the way.  It was nice to see the digital citizenry push back and question what exactly is the goal here?  Musk also said more equipment was on the way, but sometimes it is never good enough.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4345 on: April 19, 2020, 09:21:39 PM »
Good decisions automatically labeled, initial response is to attack...hmmm, who does that sound like?

Yes, many people have attacked Trump from the moment he took office, but I suspect it was because he was maliciously attacking others long before that. And even though both sides are still attacking, Trump is still the most aggressive and high-profile attacker. Less than 24 hours after telling the governors to make the decisions themselves using sensible guidelines, he started ripping many of them for doing exactly what he asked.

If Trump wants to have any chance to stop the attacks, he needs either to

* lead us through this by pushing CDC to fix its failed efforts at testing, by taking the lead on testing and contact tracing; or
* delegate testing, contact tracing and decisions to reopen to the states and then stop criticizing them for doing it.

Regrettably, I doubt he has it in him to do either. I will be the first to admit I was wrong if he does one of the two above....

He has made some terrible decisions which you and others tell us about every day countless times.  Others have also made some mindless decisions.  There have also been very good decisions made, but they do not count.  We would be out of WWII in 6 months with our attitudes today and the mistakes made.  Life is not a video game in which you get to respawn for another chance at the prize.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4346 on: April 19, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
He has made some terrible decisions which you and others tell us about every day countless times.  Others have also made some mindless decisions.  There have also been very good decisions made, but they do not count.  We would be out of WWII in 6 months with our attitudes today and the mistakes made.  Life is not a video game in which you get to respawn for another chance at the prize.

He’s handled this great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4347 on: April 19, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »

He is the President of the United States. He does not get a free pass for the terrible decisions he made. But instead of owning up to them and leading us through this crisis, he continues to double down, pass the buck and blame everyone except himself.

If that’s all you expect in your President, great. I expect better...which is why most of my post proposed two ways he could still lead us out of this. You know...moving forward.

Any confidence that he could do either?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:14:15 PM by GooooMarquette »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4348 on: April 19, 2020, 10:35:47 PM »
He is the President of the United States. He does not get a free pass for the terrible decisions he made. But instead of owning up to them and leading us through this crisis, he continues to double down, pass the buck and blame everyone except himself.

If that’s all you expect in your President, great. I expect better...which is why most of my post proposed two ways he could still lead us out of this. You know...moving forward.

Any confidence that he could do either?

I am not aware of anyone here saying he deserves a free pass.  Nor do I think any of these leaders in the US or anywhere else could have stopped this.  There is a reason the entire world has it. 

The problem is that everyone’s definition of what it means to be let out of this is so different.
— Plato

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4349 on: April 19, 2020, 11:09:08 PM »

Give me a f*cking break.