collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127403 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4200 on: April 16, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »
If the initial statistics leaked from the Chicago trial prove to be the norm in all of the studies, then we are one step closer.  Keep sciencing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4201 on: April 16, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »

If the initial statistics leaked from the Chicago trial prove to be the norm in all of the studies, then we are one step closer.  Keep sciencing.

Yep. Good thing we didn’t just toss hydroxychloroquine at everyone and call it a day.

Science, not intuition, will ultimately provide the best answers....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4202 on: April 16, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

Yep. Good thing we didn’t just toss hydroxychloroquine at everyone and call it a day.

I'd shake your hand for saying that but ... you know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4203 on: April 16, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »

The science said the two most likely therapies to have success would be remdesivir and plasma. Both are looking promising.

The remdesivir results actually look far better than I'd imagined. I was hoping for moderate improvement in most cases. If the leaked results are accurate, that's a game changer.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4204 on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
Dow futures up 800 points on the Gilead news.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4205 on: April 16, 2020, 07:49:20 PM »
DJIA futures up 33 atm...

No. You were looking at closing prices.

Dow closed up 33 points today. Currently up 758 in after hours trading.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4206 on: April 16, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
No. You were looking at closing prices.

Dow closed up 33 points today. Currently up 758 in after hours trading.

You are correct.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4207 on: April 16, 2020, 08:10:48 PM »
You are correct.

It’s OK. We wouldn’t expect you to understand this area
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4208 on: April 16, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
It’s OK. We wouldn’t expect you to understand this area

I didn't think the nerve I struck with you would strike so close to home.

I've upset you to the point you're going to sweat me now too?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4209 on: April 16, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »

"Dr" Oz. What a dipcrape
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4210 on: April 16, 2020, 08:24:24 PM »
Keep sciencing.

I hope they keep sciencing their asses off.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4211 on: April 16, 2020, 08:49:04 PM »
Apt

jesmu84

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4213 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:22 PM »

Suggested nobody ever.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4214 on: April 16, 2020, 08:58:41 PM »
"Dr" Oz. What a dipcrape

You can disagree with his “agenda” and his alternative medicine stuff is dumb, but dudes credentials are unimpeachable.  Always kind of annoys me when he’s written off as a moron. It’s not like he has his medical degree from an Eastern medicine teaching school in the Caribbean. Which I guess makes his random Trump support stuff even more bizarre given how respected he is in his field

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4215 on: April 16, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »
Well, if you don't understand that Trump is now driving the CDC messaging, I don't know what to tell you. Here's from March 29, though not about the specific topic you're demanding proof for...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/cdc-issues-travel-warning-new-york-states-trumps-quarantine-threat-2020-3%3famp
So if he can request the CDC issue a travel advisory (and they complied), why could he not request they open up testing today? Makes no sense, right?

I would expect the charge levied had data to support the charge.  Nothing. 

The travel advisory was put out by State Dept initially which the CDC also confirmed.  Dr Fauci said earlier this week that was the CDC’s call and an appropriate one.  He felt the info from China was not accurate or would have issued even earlier.  CDC issuing travel advisories is not against the norm.
In 2016 for the Zika virus with Obama presidency.  In 2018 CDC advisory for Honduras. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4216 on: April 16, 2020, 09:12:56 PM »
You can disagree with his “agenda” and his alternative medicine stuff is dumb, but dudes credentials are unimpeachable.  Always kind of annoys me when he’s written off as a moron. It’s not like he has his medical degree from an Eastern medicine teaching school in the Caribbean. Which I guess makes his random Trump support stuff even more bizarre given how respected he is in his field
Agreed on his credentials, but somewhere along the line he realized he could make a lot more money selling "magic" cures. He certainly isn't a moron, but has sort of become a sham.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/opinion/coronavirus-trump-dr-oz.html
"I’ve written about him a few times and kept an eye on him over the years, because back in 2010, when I was a staff writer for The New York Times Magazine, I was assigned an in-depth profile of Oz as a one-man wellness industry. He had just begun his TV show, and I spent hours hanging out with him on the set at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in Manhattan and elsewhere. I even stood just a few feet from him in an operating room at the NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center in Manhattan as he performed open-heart surgery on a 74-year-old woman. I remember that the white pages of the notebook in which I was scribbling ended up splattered with little red dots.

"I also remember thinking again and again that the values of serious science and the values of television were perhaps incompatible. As I watched Oz and his producers try to sex up medicine for what they hoped would be many millions of daytime viewers, I watched him travel toward silliness.

"That journey accelerated over the ensuing years, as Oz became notorious for promoting unproven supplements and fad remedies and using words like “magic,” “miracle” and “revolutionary,” especially as they pertained to weight loss. Rudolph Leibel, an obesity expert at Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition, once told me that Oz’s approach in this regard was just plain nutty.

“It’d be like if we went to NASA and they were using astrological charts to try to figure out how to get a rocket to Europa,” Leibel said.

"At one point, a group of 10 physicians wrote to Columbia University to urge it to sever its formal ties to Oz. At another, Oz was hauled before a Senate panel to defend some of his ludicrous weight-loss claims. At yet another, a study in The BMJ evaluated scores of his show’s medical recommendations and determined that more than half didn’t have sound scientific support.".

He basically promoted HCQ like another one of his miracle cures.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:14:42 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4217 on: April 16, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
Suggested nobody ever.

Nobody sane, at least.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4218 on: April 16, 2020, 09:27:24 PM »

His academic background is excellent, but he has long been working outside the bounds of mainstream medicine when he gets on the stage. Both the medical faculty at Columbia (and elsewhere) and the AMA Journal of Ethics have gone on record as being very concerned about his professionalism.

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/case-dr-oz-ethics-evidence-and-does-professional-self-regulation-work/2017-02

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2015/04/poll_should_dr_oz_be_forced_to_resign_from_columbi.html

Knowledge used for good can be a tremendous thing. Knowledge used for self-promotion...well, you know.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4219 on: April 16, 2020, 09:32:30 PM »
Our only hope is the ingenuity and greatness of the “big, bad pharma corps”. Thank goodness for capitalism to fight this Chinese virus!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4220 on: April 16, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »
Our only hope is the ingenuity and greatness of the “big, bad pharma corps”. Thank goodness for capitalism to fight this Chinese virus!

👍

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4221 on: April 16, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
Our only hope is the ingenuity and greatness of the “big, bad pharma corps”.
Which is what people have been saying throughout this entire thread--that the end game is developing treatments in the short term until a vaccine can (hopefully) be developed in the long run.

#readingnomatta?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4222 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:03 PM »
His academic background is excellent, but he has long been working outside the bounds of mainstream medicine when he gets on the stage. Both the medical faculty at Columbia (and elsewhere) and the AMA Journal of Ethics have gone on record as being very concerned about his professionalism.

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/case-dr-oz-ethics-evidence-and-does-professional-self-regulation-work/2017-02

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2015/04/poll_should_dr_oz_be_forced_to_resign_from_columbi.html

Knowledge used for good can be a tremendous thing. Knowledge used for self-promotion...well, you know.

I’d argue his entire medical career outside of his show and Oprah is quite accomplished. One of my college friend’s cardiologist father was a colleague of his and said he’s easily one of the best surgeons he’s ever known. But I agree he’s latched on to the financial opportunities outside of that realm. And that’s worthy of  ::) I always find it funny when people need to act like he’s some whack job moron cause they don’t agree with him (not pointing fingers here)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4223 on: April 16, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »
I’d argue his entire medical career outside of his show and Oprah is quite accomplished. One of my college friend’s cardiologist father was a colleague of his and said he’s easily one of the best surgeons he’s ever known. But I agree he’s latched on to the financial opportunities outside of that realm. And that’s worthy of  ::) I always find it funny when people need to act like he’s some whack job moron cause they don’t agree with him (not pointing fingers here)

Agreed. But we aren’t talking about surgery; we’re talking about public statements about COVID and hydroxychloroquine...which puts it closer to Oprah than an OR.

Just a shame that his desire for fame is keeping him away from helping patients.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4224 on: April 16, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
I would expect the charge levied had data to support the charge.  Nothing. 

The travel advisory was put out by State Dept initially which the CDC also confirmed.  Dr Fauci said earlier this week that was the CDC’s call and an appropriate one.  He felt the info from China was not accurate or would have issued even earlier.  CDC issuing travel advisories is not against the norm.
In 2016 for the Zika virus with Obama presidency.  In 2018 CDC advisory for Honduras.

LOL.  You didn't even click my link.  You're talking about the wrong travel restriction.

feedback