collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127346 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2625 on: March 28, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
That is true. Our governor doesn’t believe in statewide bans on almost anything.

And our governor channeling his inner hate for first amendment, have banned a couple reporters from attending his news conferences. They weren’t nice to him. Sound familiar?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2626 on: March 28, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »
Trump threatens to quarantine NewYork and several other states.  Cuomo calls it Anti-American and Anti-Social, threatens legal action against the Feds.  So much for those demanding a federal quarantine when states threaten to sue, even those most in need of that action.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/604376/andrew-cuomo-new-york-coroanvirus-slams-donald-trump/

Well there is a lot of questions about the legality of that. And a federal quarantine would mean shutting everything down.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2627 on: March 28, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
I fear we are going to see a larger death-rate in the US than China, hopefully not as bad as Spain and Italy.

The reason, we can't handle the sick. One of the reasons China was able to both mitigate the spread and limit the death rates, is that they tested widely, and isolated the sick within the medical care system (right away). That allowed them to monitor their condition, and limit spread.

In Italy and Spain, they can't do that, and are instead sending people to isolate at home. This doesn't allow them to monitor their conditions, so when the virus ramps up, they don't have time to treat it, and it continues community spread.

Germany, where things have been comparatively better, has more nurses per capita than any of the nations, so they can care for and monitor patients right away. That so far has led to a lower mortality rate, despite them having one of the highest rates of smoking in the world.

Right now, we are leaning toward the Italy/Spain model, but with more testing. Sadly, that means the likely outcome is a higher mortality rate, just not as bad as Italy/Spain, because we are testing more.

I cannot believe you trust China’s numbers.  Story today showed many times the runs delivered to hospitals than deaths reported.  No way our death rate will be higher than China if the real numbers are used.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2628 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:02 PM »

Well there is a lot of questions about the legality of that. And a federal quarantine would mean shutting everything down.

Which is why those demanding that action do not have all the correct information at their disposal.  Everyone is an expert at the moment in a situation this country has never faced before in these conditions.  By that I mean air travel, car, products shipped overnight, freedom of movement and international exposure within hours.  This is new territory, but the blame game by all sides is sickening.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #2629 on: March 28, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »
Which is why those demanding that action do not have all the correct information at their disposal.  Everyone is an expert at the moment in a situation this country has never faced before in these conditions.  By that I mean air travel, car, products shipped overnight, freedom of movement and international exposure within hours.  This is new territory, but the blame game by all sides is sickening.

Lol.

Ok Cheeks...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2630 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:35 PM »
I cannot believe you trust China’s numbers.  Story today showed many times the runs delivered to hospitals than deaths reported.  No way our death rate will be higher than China if the real numbers are used.

Many of their own people don’t believe it either cuz they know if they ask the wrong questions, they could end up like dr #1 or in jail or both. So just shut up and help support your local wet market. Heard the salamander is going fast ...smack my lips. We got da “meat”
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2631 on: March 28, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
::) ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2632 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
@benorlin: *asteroid approaches*

SCIENTISTS: If we don't stop this, it will destroy Earth.

PEOPLE: Oh no. How many people has it killed so far?

SCIENTISTS: None yet.

PEOPLE, SUDDENLY ARMED WITH STATISTICS: Why, that's fewer than traffic accidents! Fewer than vending machines! Fewer than

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2633 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
Why a travel advisory for NY, NJ, and Connecticut. Why not in Florida, Louisiana, and other places equally or harder hit than Connecticut?

The addition of Connecticut seems completely random.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2634 on: March 28, 2020, 11:05:32 PM »
I have no words for this.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/facebook-coronavirus-infection-parties-misinformation-policy_n_5e7faf6cc5b6cb9dc1a16f36

A right-wing magazine’s Facebook post suggesting people infect themselves with coronavirus en masse does not violate the platform’s rules, a spokesperson told HuffPost.

The Federalist, a fervently pro-Trump outlet, shared the still-active post to its 100,000-follower Facebook page on Wednesday morning. It links to a Federalist article written by an unlicensed dermatologist, who argues that Americans should throw coronavirus infection “parties” as a way to establish “herd immunity” and save the economy.

Facebook explicitly prohibits coronavirus-related misinformation “that could contribute to imminent physical harm.” The company declined to explain how a post proposing readers deliberately contract a virus that has rapidly killed tens of thousands of people does not meet that standard.

Like other social media giants, Facebook introduced new policies under guidance from the World Health Organization to minimize the reach of “misinformation and harmful content” about the pandemic. But its decision to keep the Federalist post online raises questions about its enforcement of those policies.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2635 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »

Because I know people from Wuhan, and they can report on the actual situation and the methods used to contain/suppress the spread.

They are consistent with what China's government reports, and they aren't fans of the Government.

Also, we aren't even reporting all the actual deaths. When a person dies of pneumonia despite testing negative for flu and other respiratory diseases, we are not testing for coronavirus. We say death by pneumonia. We don't even try to track down contacts and others that may have been infected. We just move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2636 on: March 28, 2020, 11:14:21 PM »
Who cares if China has more than we do?

I don't believe them, either. So cool ... we're only No. 2 maybe.

We have a f%ck-ton of infected people, numbers growing, as are number of dying. Getting worse and worse in several states, including those in the south and midwest.

So maybe we're only No. 2. Huzzah! Let's open for business!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2637 on: March 28, 2020, 11:31:11 PM »
Who cares if China has more than we do?

I don't believe them, either. So cool ... we're only No. 2 maybe.

We have a f%ck-ton of infected people, numbers growing, as are number of dying. Getting worse and worse in several states, including those in the south and midwest.

So maybe we're only No. 2. Huzzah! Let's open for business!

Agreed. Comparing us to China provides little comfort with all the suffering going on. Our response has been disappointing all along, from the delays in testing, to the denial of the severity of the outbreak, to the delay in invoking and enforcing the DPA. America deserves better, regardless of where we end up on the list.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2638 on: March 28, 2020, 11:40:39 PM »
Gonna get way worse before it gets better.

The death toll of the coronavirus outbreak has reached 2,000 victims in the U.S., doubling within the span of two days.

Hopefully the stay-at-home orders will start bringing down the numbers in 2-3 weeks. The problem is that many states are still business as usual.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2639 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52:09 PM »
Why a travel advisory for NY, NJ, and Connecticut. Why not in Florida, Louisiana, and other places equally or harder hit than Connecticut?

The addition of Connecticut seems completely random.

Many people--and I mean many--live in CT and work in NYC. 

CT puts the "tri" in "tri-state area."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2640 on: March 28, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »

PEOPLE, SUDDENLY ARMED WITH STATISTICS: Why, that's fewer than traffic accidents! Fewer than vending machines! Fewer than

#facts

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2641 on: March 29, 2020, 02:43:55 AM »
Gonna get way worse before it gets better.

The death toll of the coronavirus outbreak has reached 2,000 victims in the U.S., doubling within the span of two days.

Hopefully the stay-at-home orders will start bringing down the numbers in 2-3 weeks. The problem is that many states are still business as usual.

So, an underbritches guy moonlights as an epidemiologist who can’t get tested and he has all the answers from how screwed up the leadership is to where this disease is going...I think I’d rather hear what jockey is doing with their new line of crotch less panties
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #2642 on: March 29, 2020, 07:20:41 AM »
Many of their own people don’t believe it either cuz they know if they ask the wrong questions, they could end up like dr #1 or in jail or both. So just shut up and help support your local wet market. Heard the salamander is going fast ...smack my lips. We got da “meat”

So, an underbritches guy moonlights as an epidemiologist who can’t get tested and he has all the answers from how screwed up the leadership is to where this disease is going...I think I’d rather hear what jockey is doing with their new line of crotch less panties

I thought you had stopped drinking.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:25:47 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

• All American
« Reply #2643 on: March 29, 2020, 07:50:16 AM »

Right.  Which is why the "we're not shutting anything down with so few cases" crowd is so dangerous.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2644 on: March 29, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
Kinda crazy to think, but I think it’s realistic to think Tom Hanks and Rudy Gobert (inadvertently of course) saved thousands if not tens of thousands of lives.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2645 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »
Because I know people from Wuhan, and they can report on the actual situation and the methods used to contain/suppress the spread.

They are consistent with what China's government reports, and they aren't fans of the Government.

Also, we aren't even reporting all the actual deaths. When a person dies of pneumonia despite testing negative for flu and other respiratory diseases, we are not testing for coronavirus. We say death by pneumonia. We don't even try to track down contacts and others that may have been infected. We just move on.

I talk to people in Guangdong Province a couple times a week who say the same as forgetful's people.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2646 on: March 29, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »
Interesting US map showing confirmed cases per capita, sorted by county. While some of the hotspot metro areas like NYC and N'awlins are understandably high, it's interesting that some rural areas in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Georgia and Arkansas have higher per capita rates than other notable hotspots like the Bay Area and Seattle.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/29/coronavirus-heres-a-map-of-rural-counties-in-us-most-affected-by-pandemic.html

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2647 on: March 29, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
I thought this was a good analysis/discussion of the road ahead. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/29/coronavirus-strategy-economy-plan
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:32:12 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2648 on: March 29, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
I thought this was a good analysis of the road ahead. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/29/coronavirus-strategy-economy-plan

Unfortunately, WaPo seems to be one of the few newspapers that hasn't given free access to its stories about COVID-19. I subscribe to the NYTimes, and was happy to see that they are allowing everyone to read their stories on the outbreak.

So for us non-WaPo subscribers, could you provide a 30,000 foot summary?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2649 on: March 29, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »
Well, maybe not the flu or traffic accidents:

Dr. Anthony Fauci says U.S. will have “millions of cases” of COVID-19 and more than 100,000 deaths. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, is the U.S. government’s foremost infectious disease expert.