collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127346 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1275 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
I always thought it was about time Billy did a sequel.  Both my kids used the song as reference in APUSH class and played frequently.

Twitter Gives ‘We Didn’t Start the Fire’ Revamp in Wake of COVID-19
Social media users adding verses to Billy Joel classic as coronavirus concerns mount

By DAVID BROWNE

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/we-didnt-start-the-first-covid-19-967692/

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: March 16, 2020, 11:11:04 AM »
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/remdesivir-surges-ahead-against-coronavirus/

Not a lot of new ground here but a bit of interesting background and context to Remdesivir as a potential therapy. I saw somewhere (having trouble finding the link right now, sorry) that data on its efficacy is due April 4.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1277 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:05 AM »
Eye cee, so Inn a knutshell, Trump's ta blame four da entire covid-19 outbrake, aina?

Exactly zero people said that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
And then the usual suspects started throwing monkey poo around (82, tsmith, da pontiff, pakuni) and rocky encourages it. 

Trump hasnt helped.  The media hasnt helped.  Pelosi hasnt helped.  Biden and bernie havent helped.  The CDC has, Fauci has. 

We should be able to discuss this without political finger pointing and pot shots.

But when the moderator says, go for it, but only from one side, that opens the deep tunnel into Lake Michigan.

And you Hards have done a commendable job keeping politics out of your posts.  Not so much the hysteria  ;) but the political.   :D

I've said nothing about Trump or his response to this, but thanks for including me.
That said, labeling criticism of the federal government's response to a pandemic as "political" seems like little more than a lame attempt to suppress anything that may reflect poorly upon a particular commander in chief.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: March 16, 2020, 12:07:52 PM »
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/remdesivir-surges-ahead-against-coronavirus/

Not a lot of new ground here but a bit of interesting background and context to Remdesivir as a potential therapy. I saw somewhere (having trouble finding the link right now, sorry) that data on its efficacy is due April 4.

Nm hoping for good news. Also saw another company started human testing today
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: March 16, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

I've said nothing about Trump or his response to this, but thanks for including me.
That said, labeling criticism of the federal government's response to a pandemic as "political" seems like little more than a lame attempt to suppress anything that may reflect poorly upon a particular commander in chief.

Troublemaker!   ;)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: March 16, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »
Im currently in NYC with my GF and have been since mid last week.  Obviously paying close attention to everything as I'm supposed to head back to the Midwest on Wed.  The messaging and responses and leadership, IMO, could not be more different at the city and state level.  Love or hate his politics, Cuomo has been FANTASTIC.  He's been calm, measured, communicating warmly and reassuringly, and very transparent to his thought process and reasoning behind actions.  True leadership.  DiBlasio has been all over, spent most of his words (up until yesterday's school closing announcements) taking shots at Trump and the WH (and not in a productive way) and using $20 words to emphasize how serious he is taking things.  He also dropped about 5 diff variations of "kids will be kids" and said he knows cause he is a parent when addressing concerns about kids being home for weeks potentially.

Just thought it was interesting the contrast in response to a large scale crisis in the most major of cities.  NY has been the hardest hit overall and they've had to make moves where necessary, but I respect that lack of snap judgement and lack of panic appearing moves.  The coalition with CT and NJ to all be uniform in their directives and policies today was another excellent move.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
Im currently in NYC with my GF and have been since mid last week.  Obviously paying close attention to everything as I'm supposed to head back to the Midwest on Wed.  The messaging and responses and leadership, IMO, could not be more different at the city and state level.  Love or hate his politics, Cuomo has been FANTASTIC.  He's been calm, measured, communicating warmly and reassuringly, and very transparent to his thought process and reasoning behind actions.  True leadership.  DiBlasio has been all over, spent most of his words (up until yesterday's school closing announcements) taking shots at Trump and the WH (and not in a productive way) and using $20 words to emphasize how serious he is taking things.  He also dropped about 5 diff variations of "kids will be kids" and said he knows cause he is a parent when addressing concerns about kids being home for weeks potentially.

Just thought it was interesting the contrast in response to a large scale crisis in the most major of cities.  NY has been the hardest hit overall and they've had to make moves where necessary, but I respect that lack of snap judgement and lack of panic appearing moves.  The coalition with CT and NJ to all be uniform in their directives and policies today was another excellent move.

Get back safely. In Chicago, I think Lightfoot and Pritzker have also done a pretty commendable job thus far. Calm, measured, taking appropriate action.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »

Governors and mayors have stepped up big-time. Inslee and Newsom have been outstanding as well.

Those are the types that we need on a national stage when a crisis arises and leadership is required. Calm, rational, and able to run off a list of the things they are doing to fight this. Dealing with the crisis is Job one for them.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1284 on: March 16, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »

DiBlasio also got heckled going to a YMCA, which propted Cuomo to close all gyms by 8:00 PM tonight.  Which is humorous.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: March 16, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
Governors and mayors have stepped up big-time. Inslee and Newsom have been outstanding as well.

Those are the types that we need on a national stage when a crisis arises and leadership is required. Calm, rational, and able to run off a list of the things they are doing to fight this. Dealing with the crisis is Job one for them.

Dewine in Ohio too (just to make sure we are naming some folks on both sides of the aisle)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1286 on: March 16, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
Dewine in Ohio too (just to make sure we are naming some folks on both sides of the aisle)

Dewine has been an allstar in all this.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1287 on: March 16, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
Eye cee, so Inn a knutshell, Trump's ta blame four da entire covid-19 outbrake, aina?

The whole thing? No - I doubt he caused the virus to mutate and all, and I don't think anyone claimed that.

Still, his disbanding of the pandemic response office greatly delayed our ability to be prepared for it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1288 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »

The whole thing? No - I doubt he caused the virus to mutate and all, and I don't think anyone claimed that.

Still, his disbanding of the pandemic response office greatly delayed our ability to be prepared for it.

Certainly don't think it helped, but I struggle to understand in the heat of the moment how it would have been handled differently

I don't me how it should have been handled, we will definitely need to figure that out for "future proofing" but given the personalities and culture involved I'm not sure how much differently we would have responded
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1290 on: March 16, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »
Craig Calcaterra  @craigcalcaterra
1m
Ohio governor closing: fitness centers, gyms, bowling alleys, public rec centers, movie theaters, indoor recreation all to close by end of business today.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: March 16, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
Stringer Bell has coronavirus.
Sh@t just got real.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: March 16, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
Sh@t just got real.

What about Omar?

I don't me how it should have been handled, we will definitely need to figure that out for "future proofing" but given the personalities and culture involved I'm not sure how much differently we would have responded

I just want a leader who won't lie to us day after day after day after day about something that might kill us. Doesn't seem too much to ask.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1293 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
I just want a leader who won't lie to us day after day after day after day about something that might kill us. Doesn't seem too much to ask.

Don't disagree, just nothing I can do about it right now.....I'll save that for November.

Really trying to focus on the controllable as opposed to the uncontrollable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: March 16, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »
Certainly don't think it helped, but I struggle to understand in the heat of the moment how it would have been handled differently

eng,
I suspect back earlier this year when the situation was developing fast in China a complete roll-out would plan would have been developed with medical supplies ordered and in place including significant quantities of test kits.
Now, whether the narcissist-in-chief would have listened or over-ruled them is whole separate and different discussion.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: March 16, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
I know this isn't surprising or crazy to post, my sister works for the State of Arizona, and has heard that tomorrow the Fed's are going to shut the country down.

I have no context around it, she's not the type of person to share stuff (she's very guarded).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: March 16, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »
Sh@t just got real.

Heimdall.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1297 on: March 16, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
eng,
I suspect back earlier this year when the situation was developing fast in China a complete roll-out would plan would have been developed with medical supplies ordered and in place including significant quantities of test kits.
Now, whether the narcissist-in-chief would have listened or over-ruled them is whole separate and different discussion.

Yep. And actually, the roll-out plan would have been mostly developed ahead of time, in anticipation of a pandemic. It would have needed tweaks based on the origin and nature of the pathogen, but one of the main functions of the office was disaster (specifically, pandemic) planning.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: March 16, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
I know this isn't surprising or crazy to post, my sister works for the State of Arizona, and has heard that tomorrow the Fed's are going to shut the country down.

I have no context around it, she's not the type of person to share stuff (she's very guarded).

They have to give people notice though, no?  Less than 24 hours is going to create a disaster

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: March 16, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
They have to give people notice though, no?  Less than 24 hours is going to create a disaster

Yes, I agree with you. I have no context around it, if you were to know my sister, she's not the kind of person who is a rumor person, she's very textbook and guarded about everything.

I have no idea what that shutdown would entail, but wanted to provide what I heard.