collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127345 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1225 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »
Dude, wtf are you talking about?

LGW had a post claiming that Trump acted before any other politicians did.  Because it was so absurd, it was deleted.  He then complained (we left that), and sent me a PM that my bias was showing (OK, fine), and that he's done here forever (also fine).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: March 15, 2020, 08:31:37 PM »
LGW had a post claiming that Trump acted before any other politicians did.  Because it was so absurd, it was deleted.  He then complained (we left that), and sent me a PM that my bias was showing (OK, fine), and that he's done here forever (also fine).

He/She doesn’t know how to read either, or follow how quoting works on here. I purposely steer clear of trying to rankle any pure politics here.

I’m fine if my comments get ripped, but LGW certainly mis-read that entire conversation.

Now back to regularly scheduled fear talk...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: March 15, 2020, 08:34:51 PM »
Good thing the citizens of Milwaukee County brought this man to prominence.

@SheriffClarke: It is now evident that this is an orchestrated attempt to destroy CAPITALISM. First sports, then schools and finally commercial businesses. Time to RISE UP and push back. Bars and restaurants should defy the order. Let people decide if they want to go out

@SheriffClarke: Not ONE media outlet has asked about George Soros’s involvement in this FLU panic. He is SOMEWHERE involved in this.

@SheriffClarke: Folks, the LEFT has collapsed our institutions that have served us in times of trouble. TAKE...TO ...THE...STREETS.  That is the battlefield the LEFT has defined. I will no longer sit back and watch the destruction of this great republic over the FLU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1228 on: March 15, 2020, 08:36:06 PM »

@SheriffClarke: It is now evident that this is an orchestrated attempt to destroy CAPITALISM. First sports, then schools and finally commercial businesses. Time to RISE UP and push back. Bars and restaurants should defy the order. Let people decide if they want to go out

@SheriffClarke: Not ONE media outlet has asked about George Soros’s involvement in this FLU panic. He is SOMEWHERE involved in this.

@SheriffClarke: Folks, the LEFT has collapsed our institutions that have served us in times of trouble. TAKE...TO ...THE...STREETS.  That is the battlefield the LEFT has defined. I will no longer sit back and watch the destruction of this great republic over the FLU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMR5zf1J1Hs

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »

Just here to say that the mods have done a great job during this situation. No young future moderator of a midwestern private unversity's basketball message board grows up intending to have to decide which posts live or die in the midst of a pandemic - but ya'll have been very present and done a great job and the board is better for it. 

Please make sure you're not modest and that you remind us knuckleheads that you do this for free and of your steady hand during this difficult time when it comes time to encourage us to donate to Al's Run 2020.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1230 on: March 15, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »

He thought he would be relevant. He’s not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1231 on: March 15, 2020, 08:47:48 PM »

You can’t fake that kind of crazy.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1232 on: March 15, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
 ::)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: March 15, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »

I was a few rows behind him last year on a flight from LaGuardia to Milwaukee.  He was in first class of course.
Like 2 people asked for a selfie with him in the terminal.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: March 15, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »

Trenchant insight right here on the Coronavirus from the mighty sheriff.

What is the President waiting for?!?!?

Make this man Secretary of Agriculture ASAP!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:42 PM »
My hospital - and most in state of Indiana - have suspended elective surgeries.

Unprecedented

OMG. Where are Canadians going to get their new hips?

(Sorry, just trying to insert a little humor into a difficult situation)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: March 15, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
If your interested in some additional sobering news. An infectious disease doc told me that they are being told that it has been confirmed that COVID-19 is airborne, and can be spread even after the infected person has left a room, or possibly through ventilation ducts.

That is different than it being spread through droplets in the air.

There was preliminary research before.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-can-spread-as-an-aerosol.html

They are now being told it has been confirmed.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: March 15, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
While Trump certainly deserves criticism for some of the things he has said, he has done things well too.  Shutting down travel from China was absolutely the right move, and he was called xenophobic and racist for it.  He was right in shutting down travel from Europe, and got criticized for leaving the UK and Ireland open, because they had far fewer cases.  That changed the next day, on both counts. 

Honestly, I can completely understand thinking this was a lot of hype before we saw what happened in Italy (I have to admit, I kind of did).  The reactions in Japan and South Korea weren't as devastating, and I don't know if you can ever believe anything one way or another that you hear from the Chinese government.  But the way that Italy descended into turmoil pretty quickly was frightening. 

As far as Western countries go, the US seems to be doing a better job than anyone in the EU (it seems like Germany is doing ok...).  It seems like we have reacted and put measures in place far earlier on in the outbreak than other nations, and yes, we have the advantage of being farther away and the advantage of seeing what happened in places like Italy.  But the UK had the same advantage, and their plan seems like a disaster waiting to happen, and a great way to make the outbreak last longer, I'm not a doctor, but it seems like most doctors think their strategy isn't so great.

South Korea seems to be containing the virus with mass testing and distancing, we are at least following part of that protocol.  I get that things that work in Eastern cultures may not work in the West, but it would be foolish not to pay attention to a system that is working pretty well to say the least.  According to the chart above, less than a 1% mortality rate so far.  But that data doesn't tell the whole story, as this virus clearly has demographics where it is not dangerous at all and others where it is terribly lethal, so maybe SK just isn't getting the elderly infected?  Maybe all their testing is giving a truer mortality rate where other countries are missing the milder cases.  I don't know, but you would hope the powers that be, not just here but everywhere, are really watching South Korea.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:15:40 PM by buckchuckler »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »
never Mind. Found it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:17:52 PM by pbiflyer »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: March 15, 2020, 09:10:30 PM »
This isn’t intended to be political, but Illinois chugging forward with its primary on Tuesday seems foolish.

Downright insane.  Illinois will close schools and restaurants, but we'll be damned before we let something gunk up the political machine. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1240 on: March 15, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
Just here to say that the mods have done a great job during this situation. No young future moderator of a midwestern private unversity's basketball message board grows up intending to have to decide which posts live or die in the midst of a pandemic - but ya'll have been very present and done a great job and the board is better for it.  .

Appreciate the support.  But also because I think I'm fair, here's the PM response I received from LGW, as well as the article link that s/he apparently thinks is relevant. And totally proves that...trump would have completely been on top of this if not for the Dems impeachment  follies....???

Ur an idiot

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-coronavirus-story-was-ignored-by-media-obsessed-with-impeachment.amp

That's an "opinion" piece from today.  FWIW - Benny started this thread on Jan 27.  We've had mostly reliable info since, and many firsthand accounts of China/Covid-19 stories. 

I appreciate all that have contributed.  It's been very informative.  I was initially supremely confident in the CDC.  Then the CDC admitted this was likely bigger than they could handle, then their message was neutered by Politicians.  We're all trying to take care of each other....I think....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
I was thinking about this, today.
I have a friend who works in HHS in a "Disaster and Emergency Planning" department and he's been telling me forever that a viral outbreak will eventually happen.
I haven't heard from him in the last two weeks.

I heard from another friend on Friday that the Army took him back after the White House press conference.  He does the job like the Secret Service except protecting Secretaries.  Protected Secretary of Commerce for awhile and was most recently protecting Secretary of Health and Human Services (Azar).  Sent me a photo of the press conference.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:24:39 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
This administration responded before the Dems
Before the media who was more concerned with impeachment in January.  This was a story on Tucker Carlsons show as early as January 15th...
The media the Dems were nowhere.
Trump shut down the borders and was highly criticized.

Get a clue.

This crap is allowed and my post calling out the Administration, the Dems and the Media was deleted.

crap...

Sorry this is for the post by MU dish ripping the administration
"If this virus happened under any other president in history, it would be a no-brainer. But these are dire times.

Still, I'll be shocked if it isn't postponed by midday tomorrow."

Should be removed if you are going to remove mine...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1244 on: March 15, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »
If your interested in some additional sobering news. An infectious disease doc told me that they are being told that it has been confirmed that COVID-19 is airborne, and can be spread even after the infected person has left a room, or possibly through ventilation ducts.

That is different than it being spread through droplets in the air.

There was preliminary research before.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-can-spread-as-an-aerosol.html

They are now being told it has been confirmed.

Wow - that is truly frightening.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2020, 09:27:03 PM »
To be fair, Trump did act 2 years ago--by firing the pandemic response team.  Thank god Fauci is still around.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2020, 09:28:22 PM »

Wow - that is truly frightening.

Agreed, but it makes some other things make sense.

Administration people today were emphasizing that one of the key things they learned from China and the WHO is the need for dedicated hospitals to treat patients to avoid spread amongst the patients. Apparently that was a big part of China's success.

I know in my area there is a dedicated hospital to treating all COVID-19 patients.

Now airborne aerosols still have a range of lifetimes where they are stable. Let's hope it is on the shorter end so that it isn't surviving through ducts. Its bad enough that a 6-foot social distancing may be inadequate. Let's also hope that the initial data suggesting this may only be relevant in healthcare settings is true.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:44:02 PM by forgetful »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »
Some evidence of the value of closing the school system during a pandemic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Massachusetts

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1248 on: March 15, 2020, 11:01:23 PM »
If the Johns Hopkins chart above is correct - Italy has identified about 10K new cases this weekend? 

That's a question, but I see media reports about 15k from Friday, and 24k on the chart above right now.  Holy....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:04:55 PM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: March 15, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »
While Trump certainly deserves criticism for some of the things he has said, he has done things well too.  Shutting down travel from China was absolutely the right move, and he was called xenophobic and racist for it.  He was right in shutting down travel from Europe, and got criticized for leaving the UK and Ireland open, because they had far fewer cases.  That changed the next day, on both counts. 

Honestly, I can completely understand thinking this was a lot of hype before we saw what happened in Italy (I have to admit, I kind of did).  The reactions in Japan and South Korea weren't as devastating, and I don't know if you can ever believe anything one way or another that you hear from the Chinese government.  But the way that Italy descended into turmoil pretty quickly was frightening. 

As far as Western countries go, the US seems to be doing a better job than anyone in the EU (it seems like Germany is doing ok...).  It seems like we have reacted and put measures in place far earlier on in the outbreak than other nations, and yes, we have the advantage of being farther away and the advantage of seeing what happened in places like Italy.  But the UK had the same advantage, and their plan seems like a disaster waiting to happen, and a great way to make the outbreak last longer, I'm not a doctor, but it seems like most doctors think their strategy isn't so great.

South Korea seems to be containing the virus with mass testing and distancing, we are at least following part of that protocol.  I get that things that work in Eastern cultures may not work in the West, but it would be foolish not to pay attention to a system that is working pretty well to say the least.  According to the chart above, less than a 1% mortality rate so far.  But that data doesn't tell the whole story, as this virus clearly has demographics where it is not dangerous at all and others where it is terribly lethal, so maybe SK just isn't getting the elderly infected?  Maybe all their testing is giving a truer mortality rate where other countries are missing the milder cases.  I don't know, but you would hope the powers that be, not just here but everywhere, are really watching South Korea.

I'm going to be incredibly nice and call you willfully ignorant.

feedback