'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 82822 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2024, 04:23:49 PM »
Sometimes we're hour-to-hour.
Meh, I’m not sure what, if anything is going to hurt when I get up of this couch in a minute.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2024, 04:27:01 PM »
Meh, I’m not sure what, if anything is going to hurt when I get up of this couch in a minute.

Fair. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
Maybe the virus duped him and made him think it was an oblique

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2024, 11:36:51 PM »
Jeff Goodman just said on the Field of 68 that he thinks Kolek's injury is probably pretty serious given the fact that he didn't even travel but was able to push through a black and blue ankle in November to win at Illinois. He is pretty close to TK, so not sure if he is just guessing or maybe has some "insider info", but he mentioned that he doesn't think he will play until the Big East Tournament.
VIOLENCE!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2024, 11:43:11 PM »
Jeff Goodman just said on the Field of 68 that he thinks Kolek's injury is probably pretty serious given the fact that he didn't even travel but was able to push through a black and blue ankle in November to win at Illinois. He is pretty close to TK, so not sure if he is just guessing or maybe has some "insider info", but he mentioned that he doesn't think he will play until the Big East Tournament.

Shaka said in the press conference that Kolek is feeling significantly better and thought it just made sense for him to stay home and continue rehab. That’s really all I needed to hear on it. He’ll be back soon.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/live/KWXy-2G7OGc?feature=shared

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2024, 12:10:38 AM »
Shaka said in the press conference that Kolek is feeling significantly better and thought it just made sense for him to stay home and continue rehab. That’s really all I needed to hear on it. He’ll be back soon.

I trust Shaka,.  Not Jeff Goodman. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2024, 12:22:19 AM »

I think it might be tough to keep him out of Senior night against UConn. It sure would be nice to send those 2 Seniors out with a win and lock in a 2 seed, but I'd rather be a 3 and completely healthy.

Part of me thinks it could be a good thing that Marquette has become an afterthought to many with the Kolek injury and the blowout loss in Connecticut...assuming Kolek is able to get healthy at some point.
VIOLENCE!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2024, 07:22:22 AM »
I think it might be tough to keep him out of Senior night against UConn. It sure would be nice to send those 2 Seniors out with a win and lock in a 2 seed, but I'd rather be a 3 and completely healthy.

Part of me thinks it could be a good thing that Marquette has become an afterthought to many with the Kolek injury and the blowout loss in Connecticut...assuming Kolek is able to get healthy at some point.

I could see him suiting up and playing 30 seconds against UConn and subbing out.

But he won’t be playing fully until BEast tourney or the ncaas

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2024, 07:30:53 AM »
Is Marquette being quiet about the injury because it could effect NCAA seeding? I cant recall ever trying to find updates on a player and there is literally silence even minutes before the game. Possibly because its not an injury that's just black or white like a acl tear.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2024, 07:33:15 AM »
Is Marquette being quiet about the injury because it could effect NCAA seeding? I cant recall ever trying to find updates on a player and there is literally silence even minutes before the game. Possibly because its not an injury that's just black or white like a acl tear.

It has nothing to do with seeding. Why give your opponents any information you don't have to? There is no reason for Marquette to say anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2024, 07:41:28 AM »

No.  It’s not at all like professional sports for college athletes due to privacy laws. I’m far from any expert on it, but different rules apply for college and amateur athletes.  Notice all they said about Oso being out yesterday was “Illness”. 

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2024, 07:55:53 AM »
No.  It’s not at all like professional sports for college athletes due to privacy laws. I’m far from any expert on it, but different rules apply for college and amateur athletes.  Notice all they said about Oso being out yesterday was “Illness”. 

TAMU would know more about this than I would but I don't think it has anything to do with privacy laws as those are largely, but not entirely waived as student athletes. Otherwise Shaka couldn't even say anything at a press conference.

There is simply no mandatory disclosure...so why disclose?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2024, 08:02:17 AM »
TAMU would know more about this than I would but I don't think it has anything to do with privacy laws as those are largely, but not entirely waived as student athletes. Otherwise Shaka couldn't even say anything at a press conference.

There is simply no mandatory disclosure...so why disclose?

My understanding is players can give consent to what info is put out there as public information. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2024, 08:06:31 AM »

I agree. That said, these players are no longer amateurs and sports betting is now paying the bills. I expect this to change with disclosures required. It introduces a cloud.

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2024, 08:07:34 AM »
My understanding is players can give consent to what info is put out there as public information. 

Then why can Shaka talk about Tyler's oblique injury at a press conference?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2024, 08:09:07 AM »
I agree. That said, these players are no longer amateurs and sports betting is now paying the bills. I expect this to change with disclosures required. It introduces a cloud.

I agree, just a matter of time given how significantly the landscape of college athletics has changed so drastically.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2024, 08:15:43 AM »
Then why can Shaka talk about Tyler's oblique injury at a press conference?
Players sign blanket release forms at the beginning of each season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2024, 08:18:25 AM »

When I started to read this, I expected the conclusion to be something really bad. Then I got to the last sentence.

If Kolek really is only out until the Big East Tournament, I will consider it very good fortune for Marquette - especially if he returns at close to full health. Heck, I'll consider it very good fortune for Marquette even if he misses the BET but is back at full strength for the NCAAs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2024, 08:25:03 AM »

I agree. If TK is back for BET I will be a very happy guy. There is no need to rush things and I am sure they will not. Their resume has given them flexibility on how to handle things and that is all you can ask for in March.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »

While I get where you’re coming from, it may be your thoughts and concern due to it being the end of year and kolek.

If you look back a few months, I do on chase’s shoulder, kams ankle, koleks ankle, and Mitchell’s hamstring was also very sparse. You couldn’t find anything on them on twitter. Shoot, we thought Chase was out another 2 weeks possibly, and boom 15 min before the nova game he was announced as playing.

It may be keeping it close to the chest with the NCAA tourney coming up, but maybe also just cause there’s no info to give the opponents.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2024, 10:08:30 AM »
Tweet from Marquette Basketball.
Guard Tyler Kolek (oblique) will miss the final two games (vs. UConn, at Xavier) of the regular season & be re-evaluated prior to the team’s BIG EAST tournament opener on March 14.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 10:10:33 AM by MarquetteMike1977 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2024, 06:07:02 PM »
Well, since they are honoring TK and Oso pregame on Wednesday, it takes away some of the questions for next season. The boys have a great run and hope the crowd arrives early to salute their efforts.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2024, 06:37:11 PM »
TyKo  knocked out is a tough blow for MU to absorb. Kind of reminds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEIMQ42-oU
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2024, 06:39:12 PM »
Well, since they are honoring TK and Oso pregame on Wednesday, it takes away some of the questions for next season. The boys have a great run and hope the crowd arrives early to salute their efforts.

Creighton honored Scheierman on its Senior Day last season but then he decided to return.

I am 100% certain Oso is gone and 98.6% sure about Kolek, but being honored, in and of itself, doesn't guarantee a player leaves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2024, 07:23:56 PM »

All this tells us is that either Tyler is leaving or he hasn't decided yet.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback