Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Miss the NCAA tournament??  (Read 19189 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Miss the NCAA tournament??
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »
Let’s say wojo loses the next 2 (not unthinkable as they are on the road). Wojo in year 6 and a first team all-American, once in a generation talent and all we fans can say we are slightly better than GT, SJ, and DePaul.  And if they lose to SJ and DePaul to end the season, one would say they are trending worse that SJ and DePaul. 

But wojo’s a great coach....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:06:57 PM by PointWarrior »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
I mean if you take SJU and GT(all the injuries) and DePaul out of the equation(and SJU did just roll Creighton today) is their a BE team playing worse then MU right now?? Unequivocally no. At a time when you're supposed to be playing your best basketball..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
I mean if you take SJU and GT(all the injuries) and DePaul out of the equation(and SJU did just roll Creighton today) is their a BE team playing worse then MU right now?? Unequivocally no. At a time when you're supposed to be playing your best basketball..

I think we are better than Butler and Xavier in addition to the other three you just mentioned. I don't think we are far behind Nova. Providence and Creighton (today notwhithstanding) have taken their games to new levels and Seton Hall was always above us.

Yesterday was not an example of MU playing poorly. It was an example of a top 15 team playing near their ceiling. Providence was an example of MU playing poorly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
Assistant coaches actually talk to players during game with advice/coaching?  Who knew?  Thanks for that contribution. In your playing days, did the assistant coaches determine substitutions?  In mine I never was subbed into a game by assistant coaches. I don’t recall watching MU games and seeing Stan call to the bench for a players to sub in.

You see a lot of improvement in Brendan Bailey, Cain, Theo?  Guess you have low standards for what improvement looks like. Markus? Sam?  Both those guys had great freshman campaigns. Players should get incrementally better year over year...but to suggest our 4-year kids have improved massively under Wojo?  Please. At minimum an equal number have transferred out/regressed.

End of the day, you’ve been a die hard Wojo supporter. I sounded the alarm in the 1st semester of Wojo’s time at MU saying he didn’t have it. 6 years later we are still hoping for just a sniff of March success, with most in our fanbase prepared to a step back in Year 7.

Meanwhile you and your infinite wisdom of basketball as a former participant in the Gus Macker tournament (and Intramural champ) continue to try to prop up the thin accomplishment of our head coach. Carry on, faux alpha.

I forgot which Marquette player were you or which D1 school did you play for?  I know it was at the highest levels so I assumed you must have that second Gus Macker title if that’s the case.  When you compare your high school and rec league playing days to how assistant coaches work in D1 you can see why people get confused.

You were anti-Wojo before the first game and have done as much mental gymnastics as possible to make yourself right. Maybe if you stopped that and look at it without emotion who would realize he is a lot better than you think. You can’t even say when it is obvious players got better.  Markus and Sam had good freshman years. They were also the highest ranked kids and they got incrementally better year over year to being top college players. Sacar has gotten significantly better. Theo has gotten significantly better. Cain has gotten significantly better but still hasn’t figured out how to dribble.  Bailey has gotten significantly better as a sophomore.  I call BS on the transfers because that has been the case for 20years. Remember ODB. Who would transfer when they were going to be a huge part of the system?  him.  You conveniently overlook the transfer rates under our previous coaches to even develop a bench mark.  For every, Cheatham, I can point to and Erik Williams or a MBakwe. Same transfers.  Did Roseboro or McKay finish their careers at Marquette? Last I checked they never played for Wojo.  Transfers aren’t a Wojo thing they are a Marquette thing.

We have people on here hoping that we get to a sweet sixteen not for Marquette’s success but instead so Wojo decides to leave. Embarrassing to be in that group. If we did hit a S16, he would have hit the heights of Kevin O’Neil. 

Four months ago, you were complaining about how we weren’t good enough for the NCAAs. Guess what we are there. 3rd time in 4years. Now the messaging is we are there but don’t deserve it. The rest of college basketball sucks. 

If we take the NCAA appearances out, none of our coaches have had conference tournament success so to hold that against Wojo is BS.

I am not pro-Wojo. I am pro-Marquette. I want them to do the best regardless of coach and I am going to root for their success. I also see MU and the Big East in a different place than a lot of people here.  I don’t think your top talent players think MU and the Big East as the Mecca of college basketball. I think they look at the Big Ten, ACC, and to some degree the SEC now as the places where the best talent plays. The league needs big time names as coaches and unfortunately the average college basketball fan likely only knows three in the big East and that is Jay Wright, Ewing, and Wojo. Ask one of your Wisconsin buddies if they know Travis Steele, Jordan, McDermott, Anderson, Cooley, or Leitao.  They might pick out a few and say they are ok. Somehow Wojo is pulling in the big names so something has to be done right.

If you honestly look at our squad they are significantly better than years 1 and 2. They are also better than 3 and 4. Even without post season success Wojo is bringing in more 5 star kids to even consider the program.  I think years 7 and 8 will be our best yet. 

Just keep thinking you played at the highest levels and dunking somehow makes you more knowledgeable than the rest of us. I will keep referencing your Gus Macker titles or lack there of.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2020, 08:04:47 PM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2020, 04:27:40 AM »
I forgot which Marquette player were you or which D1 school did you play for?  I know it was at the highest levels so I assumed you must have that second Gus Macker title if that’s the case.  When you compare your high school and rec league playing days to how assistant coaches work in D1 you can see why people get confused.

You were anti-Wojo before the first game and have done as much mental gymnastics as possible to make yourself right. Maybe if you stopped that and look at it without emotion who would realize he is a lot better than you think. You can’t even say when it is obvious players got better.  Markus and Sam had good freshman years. They were also the highest ranked kids and they got incrementally better year over year to being top college players. Sacar has gotten significantly better. Theo has gotten significantly better. Cain has gotten significantly better but still hasn’t figured out how to dribble.  Bailey has gotten significantly better as a sophomore.  I call BS on the transfers because that has been the case for 20years. Remember ODB. Who would transfer when they were going to be a huge part of the system?  him.  You conveniently overlook the transfer rates under our previous coaches to even develop a bench mark.  For every, Cheatham, I can point to and Erik Williams or a MBakwe. Same transfers.  Did Roseboro or McKay finish their careers at Marquette? Last I checked they never played for Wojo.  Transfers aren’t a Wojo thing they are a Marquette thing.

We have people on here hoping that we get to a sweet sixteen not for Marquette’s success but instead so Wojo decides to leave. Embarrassing to be in that group. If we did hit a S16, he would have hit the heights of Kevin O’Neil. 

Four months ago, you were complaining about how we weren’t good enough for the NCAAs. Guess what we are there. 3rd time in 4years. Now the messaging is we are there but don’t deserve it. The rest of college basketball sucks. 

If we take the NCAA appearances out, none of our coaches have had conference tournament success so to hold that against Wojo is BS.

I am not pro-Wojo. I am pro-Marquette. I want them to do the best regardless of coach and I am going to root for their success. I also see MU and the Big East in a different place than a lot of people here.  I don’t think your top talent players think MU and the Big East as the Mecca of college basketball. I think they look at the Big Ten, ACC, and to some degree the SEC now as the places where the best talent plays. The league needs big time names as coaches and unfortunately the average college basketball fan likely only knows three in the big East and that is Jay Wright, Ewing, and Wojo. Ask one of your Wisconsin buddies if they know Travis Steele, Jordan, McDermott, Anderson, Cooley, or Leitao.  They might pick out a few and say they are ok. Somehow Wojo is pulling in the big names so something has to be done right.

If you honestly look at our squad they are significantly better than years 1 and 2. They are also better than 3 and 4. Even without post season success Wojo is bringing in more 5 star kids to even consider the program.  I think years 7 and 8 will be our best yet. 

Just keep thinking you played at the highest levels and dunking somehow makes you more knowledgeable than the rest of us. I will keep referencing your Gus Macker titles or lack there of.
Outstanding defense of Wojos wonders. Give that man a power point.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2020, 07:49:34 AM »

If we did hit a S16, he would have hit the heights of Kevin O’Neil.

KO inherited a program in total disarray, one that hadn’t seen success in a long time. A S16 in year 4 was indeed “hitting the heights”. Comparing that situation to inheriting a program that had been to 8 NCAAs in 9 years and to the S16 twice and the E8 once in the previous 4 years is silly.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »
KO inherited a program in total disarray, one that hadn’t seen success in a long time. A S16 in year 4 was indeed “hitting the heights”. Comparing that situation to inheriting a program that had been to 8 NCAAs in 9 years and to the S16 twice and the E8 once in the previous 4 years is silly.

But you see the thing is, Buzz missed the postseason entirely his last year (because his best player surprised everyone by going pro) and the success you mentioned happened in the much better Big East where it was easier to recruit and stuff (even though all you hear about on here is how we play in such a tough conference where every game is a dogfight and road wins are literally impossible to get).  The Marquette Wojo took over was really a completely different program from what Buzz had to work with.  So there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
But you see the thing is, Buzz missed the postseason entirely his last year (because his best player surprised everyone by going pro) and the success you mentioned happened in the much better Big East where it was easier to recruit and stuff (even though all you hear about on here is how we play in such a tough conference where every game is a dogfight and road wins are literally impossible to get).  The Marquette Wojo took over was really a completely different program from what Buzz had to work with.  So there.

I wouldn't go this far, but your main point is correct. What players a coach is left with in their first year is a lot more important to immediate success then what the program did 2+ years before. But I think Lenny's point is correct, what a program has done overall speaks more to what the expected ceiling of the new coach should be. KO making the Sweet 16 would be a lot more impressive than Wojo making the Sweet 16 IMHO.
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
I wouldn't go this far, but your main point is correct. What players a coach is left with in their first year is a lot more important to immediate success then what the program did 2+ years before. But I think Lenny's point is correct, what a program has done overall speaks more to what the expected ceiling of the new coach should be. KO making the Sweet 16 would be a lot more impressive than Wojo making the Sweet 16 IMHO.

My post was intended to be sarcastic, as I’ve seen BallBoy make those arguments before, but I agree with everything you said.  Especially the last sentence.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »

Still waiting for you to answer the question:  In your playing days, did your assistant coaching staff make the substitution decisions for you/your team?  As in - Hey Ball Boy, sub in for water boy?

For the record, I never said I played at MU or D-1. Where did you pull that from?  Did you?  Did you even play at the high school level?  Wasn’t soccer your thing?

And please, don’t compare Wojo to Kevin O’Neill. And don’t make sh$t up about me wanting Wojo to fail before he even coached a game at MU. That’s absurd. He earned my disdain for the way he coached his first and second teams at MU. However I’ve been trying hard to give him the benefit of the doubt this season.

And if you think Year 7/8 are going to be better, well, that’s pure fantasy. I do appreciate reading your posts as you clearly think you are bright AF as it relates to basketball, but in reality you are totally clueless. (Even with your Gus Macker title.). No doubt three on three half court basketball is the hallmark of hoop wisdom.

Lastly, you aren’t a better fan, nor do you want MU to win anymore than those of us who are critical of Wojo. Instead you perform all kinds of mental masturbation to try to rationalize how and why Wojo has underperformed Buzz, Crean and Kevin O’Neill. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »
My post was intended to be sarcastic, as I’ve seen BallBoy make those arguments before, but I agree with everything you said.  Especially the last sentence.

My post was intended to ignore your sarcasm  ;D
TAMU

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
Still waiting for you to answer the question:  In your playing days, did your assistant coaching staff make the substitution decisions for you/your team?  As in - Hey Ball Boy, sub in for water boy?

For the record, I never said I played at MU or D-1. Where did you pull that from?  Did you?  Did you even play at the high school level?  Wasn’t soccer your thing?

And please, don’t compare Wojo to Kevin O’Neill. And don’t make sh$t up about me wanting Wojo to fail before he even coached a game at MU. That’s absurd. He earned my disdain for the way he coached his first and second teams at MU. However I’ve been trying hard to give him the benefit of the doubt this season.

And if you think Year 7/8 are going to be better, well, that’s pure fantasy. I do appreciate reading your posts as you clearly think you are bright AF as it relates to basketball, but in reality you are totally clueless. (Even with your Gus Macker title.). No doubt three on three half court basketball is the hallmark of hoop wisdom.

Lastly, you aren’t a better fan, nor do you want MU to win anymore than those of us who are critical of Wojo. Instead you perform all kinds of mental masturbation to try to rationalize how and why Wojo has underperformed Buzz, Crean and Kevin O’Neill.

Poke the faux-alpha and it yips.  You can make as many snide remark to prove you are an alpha as you want won’t help.

I know you never played D1 or D2 or D3 but you claimed your basketball knowledge was greater than everyone’s because you played at the highest levels of basketball. I never claimed I did nor have I ever said my basketball knowledge was based my ability to dunk. I thought bringing up the Gus Macker titles would give us a chance to bond over meaningless basketball success so ease up a little bit Uncle RICO. 

So to answer your question, assistants play a critical role in the game. They are tracking everything and reminding the coach of minutes played, streaks, foul trouble and are recommending player roles and subs based on data. In most structures they take on either offense or defensive leadership or lead bigs vs guard development.  They are in many cases stating their belief on the depth charts.  They are scouting the competition and telling the players what to expect. In many cases they engage with the players more so know their strengths and weaknesses better than the head coach.  That was how it worked during my playing days (I will leave out the rec league stuff).  One person can’t track it all.

We go back to the original point of our little debate whenever you say Wojo is cheating someone of minutes or should be playing someone max minutes or is yanking a player around you are saying that about the entire Marquette coaching team. They are aligned.  If they weren’t they wouldn’t be there.  there is a reason that it is extremely rare that when a head coach is fired an assistant takes the job without an interim tag. When a coach leaves that is another story. In your dream scenario when Wojo gets fired they aren’t going to hire Stan. He was part of the failure.

If you notice when I compare coaches I just state fact and will also state my opinion on why something might be the case. Fact the pinnacle of O’Neill’s career was a sweet 16. If Wojo hits a sweet 16 the pinnacle of his career is a sweet 16. We can debate whose was harder to achieve but the fact didn’t change. fact the pinnacle of Mike Deane’s career was a Conference USA tournament title. crean’s was a final four. buzz’s was an elite eight.

We can debate what led to his first years being bad. I know you wanted max minutes for Magic Dawson but for some reason two coaching staffs didn’t make that move. I know you want to believe that evil Wojo ran off Burton just because he didn’t like him.  Maybe he should have cleaned house like some coaches have done.  My opinion he didn’t have enough really good talent.

I never claimed I was a better fan than anyone. Only stated that I am a fan of Marquette over Wojo. My personal believe is for MU success we need someone who wants to build a program for the long haul. Our track record for coaching tenure isn’t great but the longer we have a a good coach who can grow the better we will be. Case in point Willard. Record was mediocre at Iona. First 5 years at Seton Hall were .500 and then magically five straight NCAA tournaments (only one win and including this year where he could be setup well).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:25:27 AM by BallBoy »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2020, 06:43:23 AM »
Assistant coaches actually talk to players during game with advice/coaching?  Who knew?  Thanks for that contribution. In your playing days, did the assistant coaches determine substitutions?  In mine I never was subbed into a game by assistant coaches. I don’t recall watching MU games and seeing Stan call to the bench for a players to sub in.

FIFY

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:06 AM »
As someone who played college basketball, yes actually, some assistants do sub players in and out.

There's a lot more delegation then there is in youth or high school basketball you dweebs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2020, 08:29:46 AM »

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
Are we still, legitimately having multiple paragraph "bare cupboard" arguments in Year 6?  Yikes.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »
I never claimed I was a better fan than anyone. Only stated that I am a fan of Marquette over Wojo. My personal believe is for MU success we need someone who wants to build a program for the long haul. Our track record for coaching tenure isn’t great but the longer we have a a good coach who can grow the better we will be. Case in point Willard. Record was mediocre at Iona. First 5 years at Seton Hall were .500 and then magically five straight NCAA tournaments (only one win and including this year where he could be setup well).

Willard is a poor comp for Wojo.  Seton Hall was a Big East doormat when he took over, having finished no better than 10th the previous four years under Bobby Gonzalez.  SH was a moribund, forgotten program at that point, nothing like the run MU had from 2005-06 to 2012-13.  They weren’t quite where we were when KO took over at MU, but they were among the dregs of the conference with South Florida, Rutgers, and DePaul.  So, different situation and completely different standard of success.  What Willard’s been able to do there has been pretty impressive.  I thought they’d fall off the map once that Angel Delgado class left.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »

Want to take a look again at the roster Buzz left Marquette with?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
Willard is a poor comp for Wojo.  Seton Hall was a Big East doormat when he took over, having finished no better than 10th the previous four years under Bobby Gonzalez.  SH was a moribund, forgotten program at that point, nothing like the run MU had from 2005-06 to 2012-13.  They weren’t quite where we were when KO took over at MU, but they were among the dregs of the conference with South Florida, Rutgers, and DePaul.  So, different situation and completely different standard of success.  What Willard’s been able to do there has been pretty impressive.  I thought they’d fall off the map once that Angel Delgado class left.

Willard is a poor comp but not for the reason you write about. Two other issues are more important.

Willard had head coaching experience prior to Hall. The only reason he moved on from his mediocre tenure at Iona is because Hall hired Iona's AD. Package deal. Willard had already learned on the job at Iona and he was still unimpressive his first seven years in South Orange.

Willard had the soft landing spot of being at a program no one cares about (including 75% of Hall alums) and being given a wide berth by his AD who stuck with him through multiple off court incidents, multiple inter-program incidents, recruiting violations, consistent .500 conference records, etc.

Wojo isn't operating under any of the same conditions Willard has the last decade at Hall. Two different levels.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2020, 11:11:16 AM »

Why couldn't the first 5-6 years of wojos MU tenure be the worst of a 10-20 year career?

That would be the comp I think OP was trying to use

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
Circles

1) MU is making the NCAA's (title of the thread)

2) In 6 seasons Wojo will have just 1 season where MU is more than 1 game above .500...last year, or 17% of the time in league play.

3) In 6 seasons MU will have hopefully made the NCAA 3nd weekend once. Let's be positive. Right now it is 0, as is NCAA wins.

4) Conference tourney results have improved but overall have not been an MU strength over multiple coaches.

Buzz was the immediate previous coach. He made the NCAA 2nd weekend 50% of the time, 3 of 6 seasons. And Buzz was 4 games or more over .500 in league play 67% of the time or 4 of 6 times including 14 wins twice.

This is why we are here.

Some people will say historically this and that. Some people will say their annual expectations this and that.

Crean wasn't successful in the NCAA's outside of the Final Four. But that is of course a major accomplishment and counts for a lot. He also had those stronger league records discussed above, 5 out of 9 times over multiple leagues or 56% of the time.

Mike Deane had the stronger league record as defined above 3 out of 5 times or 60% of the time. He wasn't successful in the NCAA's making 2 of 5 and trended downward when leaving.

KO had the stronger league record 40% of the time or 2 of 5 seasons and trended upward when leaving with two NCAA's and a 2nd weekend.

There is a second added perception that compared to some other recent MU coaches that Wojo has not had as good of league results. I understand different leagues and eras etc...apples to oranges.....but it has added to perception.

League record, NCAA results and to a lesser extent conference tourney. The perception there is not as bad due to recent results there.

The long term goal and/or annual expectations for some are frequent 2nd weekends, stronger league finishes, or a top 16 program. Lofty goals in the eyes of some, yes. On the other end of the spectrum, what is the minimum to avoid the cycle of coaching change and starting over? A nice NCAA this year, good recruiting class that adds 1-2 more. etc...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
Circles

1) MU is making the NCAA's (title of the thread)

2) In 6 seasons Wojo will have just 1 season where MU is more than 1 game above .500...last year, or 17% of the time in league play.

3) In 6 seasons MU will have hopefully made the NCAA 3nd weekend once. Let's be positive. Right now it is 0, as is NCAA wins.

4) Conference tourney results have improved but overall have not been an MU strength over multiple coaches.

Buzz was the immediate previous coach. He made the NCAA 2nd weekend 50% of the time, 3 of 6 seasons. And Buzz was 4 games or more over .500 in league play 67% of the time or 4 of 6 times including 14 wins twice.

This is why we are here.

Some people will say historically this and that. Some people will say their annual expectations this and that.

Crean wasn't successful in the NCAA's outside of the Final Four. But that is of course a major accomplishment and counts for a lot. He also had those stronger league records discussed above, 5 out of 9 times over multiple leagues or 56% of the time.

Mike Deane had the stronger league record as defined above 3 out of 5 times or 60% of the time. He wasn't successful in the NCAA's making 2 of 5 and trended downward when leaving.

KO had the stronger league record 40% of the time or 2 of 5 seasons and trended upward when leaving with two NCAA's and a 2nd weekend.

There is a second added perception that compared to some other recent MU coaches that Wojo has not had as good of league results. I understand different leagues and eras etc...apples to oranges.....but it has added to perception.

League record, NCAA results and to a lesser extent conference tourney. The perception there is not as bad due to recent results there.

The long term goal and/or annual expectations for some are frequent 2nd weekends, stronger league finishes, or a top 16 program. Lofty goals in the eyes of some, yes. On the other end of the spectrum, what is the minimum to avoid the cycle of coaching change and starting over? A nice NCAA this year, good recruiting class that adds 1-2 more. etc...

10-8 in 2017 and 12-6 in 2019. That's two, not one. Could be three after this weekend.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
10-8 in 2017 and 12-6 in 2019. That's two, not one. Could be three after this weekend.

He qualified it by saying "more than 1 game over .500" that'd be 11-7 or better.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »

Do assistants sub in players?  Yes and no. They usually tell the head coach who to sub and when to do it. That's one of their jobs as an assistant. They also talk to players immediately upon them coming off the court to discuss what was going on when they were out there. And, if you've seen players adjust their positioning on the bench it's because they are going to talk to the assistant to discuss strategy before they check-in. I've sat directly behind enough benches at college hoops games to see that and overhear that. I know enough D1 assistants to know what an assistant's job is during the game. Whichever assistant has the scout for the game should be the most vocal if they know what they're doing. I watched one assistant diagramming plays and yelling out adjustments to the head coach during the game.

That is unless the assistants are just bodies occupying chairs on the sidelines like they do at Duke.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”