[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Louisville leaving for ACC  (Read 18266 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Louisville leaving for ACC
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
Stability is key here.  Greed may be part of it, but ultimately these schools are looking for stability.  Can't blame them one bit.  We knew this was coming many years ago.

On the academic side, the UNC and Duke grads at work are very pissed but they also knew this was coming.  The only conference that can really keep the academics in check and the athletics is the Big Ten.

I heard the B10 wants UNC.  UNC wants the B10.  The stumbling block is Duke.  That rivalry is important enough but Duke doesn't want to go the B10 with them.  Duke is happy associated with an "east coast" conference.  So UNC is paralyzed trying to figure out what to do.

If UNC does make the jump to the B10, that gives them a sold east coast core (Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers and UNC) and then the B10 will try and "turn" ND from the ACC to the B10.

The B10 is the top dog, thanks to the B10 network.  The ACC can be as shaky as the BE if UNC jumps to the B10, Fla State goes to the SEC and ND flips to the B10 (like TCU flipped to the B12 from the BE.)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
If UNC bolts for the B10, i'd think ND would take a seat at the table.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »

I heard the B10 wants UNC.  UNC wants the B10.  The stumbling block is Duke.  That rivalry is important enough but Duke doesn't want to go the B10 with them.  Duke is happy associated with an "east coast" conference.  So UNC is paralyzed trying to figure out what to do.

If UNC does make the jump to the B10, that gives them a sold east coast core (Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers and UNC) and then the B10 will try and "turn" ND from the ACC to the B10.

The B10 is the top dog, thanks to the B10 network.  The ACC can be as shaky as the BE if UNC jumps to the B10, Fla State goes to the SEC and ND flips to the B10 (like TCU flipped to the B12 from the BE.)

Great post.  While I know there is the UNC/Duke rivalry to worry about they could simply schedule each other every year like MU/UW.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »

I only want this to happen because I want the ACC poached as they're the biggest culprits in all of this reshuffling and they only take from the BE.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »

Hearing the same thing about UNC and B1G, but not that Duke is the one getting in the way.  More to it than that, including NC State and the politics of the state of North Carolina.  NC State powers want to be part of wherever UNC is and are putting the screws to it.  Even threatening legislation in the state gov't that would force that action.

Also, Big 12 is making hard run at FSU right now.  ND may flip to the B1G, but the B1G is still demanding ND for all of football and ND is saying NO...for now.  ND has tremendous leverage right now due to their football program's ascent.  Timing is everything.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Great post.  While I know there is the UNC/Duke rivalry to worry about they could simply schedule each other every year like MU/UW.

When's the last time tradition has gotten in the way of realignment?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
I only want this to happen because I want the ACC poached as they're the biggest culprits in all of this reshuffling and they only take from the BE.  

BE is every bit as culpable if you go back years ago when they added Miami, Va. Tech, WVU, etc

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
- Big Ten is waiting on UVA, and UVA is waiting on the court proceedings between Maryland and the ACC.

- Duke/UNC are a package deal if they were to go to BIG

- If UVA, Duke & UNC bolt for BIG Notre Dame will follow

- ACC will be screwed if any of the above happens. This will turn the ACC into half ACC schools and half former Big East schools. Not too many teams outside of Cincy and UCONN want into ACC at this point.

- ESPN is pushing UCONN to join the ACC for many obvious reasons there yet ACC does not want UCONN.

- FSU and Miami want to go to SEC.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
When's the last time tradition has gotten in the way of realignment?

That is exactly my point :)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »

- ESPN is pushing UCONN to join the ACC for many obvious reasons there yet ACC does not want UCONN.

BC is still blocking???

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
- Big Ten is waiting on UVA, and UVA is waiting on the court proceedings between Maryland and the ACC.

- Duke/UNC are a package deal if they were to go to BIG

- If UVA, Duke & UNC bolt for BIG Notre Dame will follow

- ACC will be screwed if any of the above happens. This will turn the ACC into half ACC schools and half former Big East schools. Not too many teams outside of Cincy and UCONN want into ACC at this point.

- FSU and Miami want to go to SEC.

B1G won't take UVA, UNC, Duke and ND because that would be 18 teams. Also, what schools in the ACC are in the AAU ("required" for B1G membership)? As another post said UNC wants to be in the B1G and the B1G wants UNC. And expect at least Florida St. to go to the SEC.

On the plus side, eventually the BE will run out of football schools the other conferences want, that's when all this ends.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 09:20:06 AM »
why not join the A10? Bring the hoops schools with us and for a true powerhouse league.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
I too think this merry-go-round ends when we finally run out of football schools.  I've not studied the issue as closely as some but somehow I think the BEast either eventually marries the ACC or the A-10, the former if a viable 5th best football conference can emerge from those two former BCS conferences, the latter if that proves impossible and we go the Catholic BB Conference route.  I'm of the opinion that the new western BEast football schools pay the $5MM and head back home just like SMU.

I'll call it the Big Atlantic for now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »
Also, what schools in the ACC are in the AAU ("required" for B1G membership)?

UVA, Duke, UNC and Pitt (if you count them).

edit - modified the quote.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
I too think this merry-go-round ends when we finally run out of football schools.  I've not studied the issue as closely as some but somehow I think the BEast either eventually marries the ACC or the A-10, the former if a viable 5th best football conference can emerge from those two former BCS conferences, the latter if that proves impossible and we go the Catholic BB Conference route.  I'm of the opinion that the new western BEast football schools pay the $5MM and head back home just like SMU.

I'll call it the Big Atlantic for now.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the schools that were moving to the BEAST don't just reform a new conference and take the best of the west schools not in the PAC-12/Big 12.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Please ACC, just finish us already...

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
why not join the A10? Bring the hoops schools with us and for a true powerhouse league.

Because of:

- Fordham
- St. Bonaventure
- LaSalle
- St. Joe's
- GW
- Duquesne
- Rhode Island
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
UVA, Duke, UNC and Pitt (if you count them).

edit - modified the quote.

The irony of all this is that UNC has a huge under reported academic scandal on its hands.  The B1G might have an image problem at some point if they start grabbing all these "problem" children.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Because of:

- Fordham
- St. Bonaventure
- LaSalle
- St. Joe's
- GW
- Duquesne
- Rhode Island

thats no worse than Tulane and SMU...
if you're going to make a basketball conf that's the cleanest way to do it. there'd be 26 teams but you'd still have the main players from the BEAST and you get Butler, Xavier, VCU, etc...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
The irony of all this is that UNC has a huge under reported academic scandal on its hands.  The B1G might have an image problem at some point if they start grabbing all these "problem" children.

I think it's not the academic rigor of the programs the athletes study that concerns the Little 10, it's the ability to say "mwa ha, we're all American Association of University schools, mwa ha" while hob nobbing with donors. Few, if any, athletes are in the AAU-type programs (e.g. research).

I mean, UW has had some academic issues with its athletes, Michigan has too, and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Not every single year, and maybe not big 'scandal' type issues, but the AAU distinction is about the institution, not the athletes.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
thats no worse than Tulane and SMU...
if you're going to make a basketball conf that's the cleanest way to do it. there'd be 26 teams but you'd still have the main players from the BEAST and you get Butler, Xavier, VCU, etc...

My point was why join that conference when you can just pick off the best pieces and begin anew.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »

This sort of thing is why I'm guessing Congress will get involved at some point in the coming year.  Essentially, you have corporations (TV/Athletic Equipment) pushing public institutions of higher learning funded by tax dollars.  I think the wrong e-mail gets in the right hands and the situation will be at least discussed.

I don't want this to happen, but I think it's the only thing that will stop the chaos at this point. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
Congress needs to stay away.  Not a federal matter in the least.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »
Congress needs to stay away.  Not a federal matter in the least.

Exactly. Plus, we want this to be over sooner rather than later right? Congress isn't exactly known for doing things quickly.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
Exactly. Plus, we want this to be over sooner rather than later right? Congress isn't exactly known for doing things quickly.

The fastest way to get congress involved is screw Gtown, lot of alums in a lot of positions of power
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."