* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[Today at 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[Today at 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND Fans Using Racial Slurs To Taunt Players?  (Read 19722 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
Re: ND Fans Using Racial Slurs To Taunt Players?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »
In the Briar Cliff jeer card they published the player's phone number....and its on the internet.  I wonder what the Briar Cliff fandom thinks of that?

Update...I shared it with the Briar Cliff Director of Athletics. Ill let you know his response.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:34:14 PM by Knight Commission »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
Whatever, until I actually see this I'm not going to get mad.  I don't know what kind of anti-venezuelan slur they used but for a group of people who are still angry about a PC decision that was made 15 years ago you all seem awefully pro-PC.

Oh wow, some ND kid yelled that james' child is illegitimate.  I'm supposed to act like that would be in the top 20 worst things I've heard yelled from MU's student section.  Feeling a little self rightous this morning?

mugrad99

• Team Captain
These are tame compared to what they were
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
a few years ago I emailed some higher ups at notre dame concerning this...mainly because they were published on the nd.edu website. I believe due to the fact that it is a .edu site, the university should take notice.

The response back was very apologetic, and they would do what they could to stop these from appearing on the website...I am presently trying to locate the emails

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
I found this gem on the 06-07 MU cheer sheet in reference to Ooze:

"Majoring in Social Welfare. Classes include: How to redeem food stamps,  making money while sitting on one’s ass, and soup line courtesy."

http://www.muscoop.com/nd_legion/jeer/www.nd.edu/~legion/jeer/0607/Marquette.doc
The General has taken on a new command.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
Here is a despicable one regarding Cincinnati's Jamual Warren. How is it even remotely possible ND could allow this on their website, and for so long? 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
Whatever, until I actually see this I'm not going to get mad.  I don't know what kind of anti-venezuelan slur they used but for a group of people who are still angry about a PC decision that was made 15 years ago you all seem awefully pro-PC.

Oh wow, some ND kid yelled that james' child is illegitimate.  I'm supposed to act like that would be in the top 20 worst things I've heard yelled from MU's student section.  Feeling a little self rightous this morning?

I agree for the most part... MU students have said some nasty stuff (myself included).

However, yelling about somebody's baby (and having the correct name)... that's getting a little scary. I feel like that's only a couple steps from "I'm going to hurt your family" type stuff... which is a little scary, especially after what we saw at the DUNK.

Also, I have to be honest and say that stuff that just gets yelled in the "heat of the moment" isn't as bad as this type of premeditated stuff.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
Yeah, when I was in college, I can remember worse stuff being yelled in the MU student section.  I specifically remember people yelling stuff about Francisco Rodriguez's dead brother.  That being said, it probably wouldn't have been allowed to be on a University sponsored website either. 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
Aside from any racial or family slurs, it's actually pretty funny how lame most of those jeers are.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
I'm an abehole,
I'm an abehole,
I'm an abehole just the same,
But I'd rather be an abehole
than to go to Notre Dame.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »
I can't believe they have guide sheets on how to taunt other teams.  I mean cmon, really?  Where's the creativity? 

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
It's clear and unfortunate but Notre Dame University administrators are enablers.  These are the seeds of hate crimes. 

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
So when the guy at the trib called me yesterday to talk about how this compares to our cheer sheets.  I was like wahhhhh  they wrote that.

I am proud to say that the "Gold Mine" is fun to read and doesnt cross the line.

bballjones98

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
this is terrible...and they are supposed to be one of the elite schools in the country...what a joke

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
stupid, classless, arrogant, bigoted micks...
 ;)

JSwarriors08

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
This page is no longer available at this time. We would like for it to be known that any material previously pulled from this page is not actually what was distributed at the basketball games. 

Go Irish.

Guess they just changed it :)  Thank God we're all on our game.

yungmufan20

• Scholarship Player
  • The Three Amigos
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:52 PM »
This just makes me plain mad. But seriously who has to come up with sheets for their student section. ?-(

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
Soooooooooooooooooooooo, does anyone know exactly which "racial slurs" were directed at our players yet?  I'd imagine that someone somewhere has a copy of this jeer sheet.  I'd just like to know what we're getting all up in arms about. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
ND is in the middle of nowhere in Indiana.  You can't be too surprised that they're a bunch of hicks acting like hicks.

Never underestimate the educational value of spending 4 years in a diverse urban environment as opposed to being surrounded by cornfields.  MU is a blip on the radar of the greater Milwaukee community.  ND is the entire community down there.  You can't learn how to function in the real world by being surrounded by people just like you.  You've got to feel somewhat sorry for them.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »
I posted in the comments of the MU Tribune article they ought to post a PDF copy of the "jeer sheet" for us to all view.

However, looking at some of the other sheets they've had over years and comments they have made, I'm fully expecting at best some very tasteless commentary.
The General has taken on a new command.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »
I agree that I can't pass judgement until I know what was used.

However I also agree that predetermined chants whtat contain personal information or slurs is tasteless.  In the heat of the moment happens, and that is often by one drunken fan that makes everyone else look bad.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »
If someone has a copy of the jeer card they definetely should scan it and save it for later.  Also this seems like a nice story for the Outside the Lines program.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
If someone has a copy of the jeer card they definetely should scan it and save it for later.  Also this seems like a nice story for the Outside the Lines program.

SOMEONE GET BOB ON THE LINE!!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »
I'm an abehole,
I'm an abehole,
I'm an abehole just the same,
But I'd rather be an abehole
than to go to Notre Dame.

That really brings back memories!  I've taught song that to my golf buddies here in Vegas.  "Holier than thou" ND is #2 on their hate list.  They hate Duke the most because of what Hurley, Laetner & company did to them in the final four in the early nineties.  We do have some good arguments about Tark the Shark.  He is a saint here and I argue against that!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

LON

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
I can't believe a school as diverse as Notre Dame would use racial slurs.

/fully aware that MU is not winning an award for most diverse, but our urban setting makes up for it IMO.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
I remember encountering in the Final Four year.   As I can recall, there was some racial derogatory things about Wade and the name of his son.   There were also some pretty rough comments about Diener's sister.  I can't believe it's taken at least 6 years for there to be some sort of backfire on this
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:30:15 PM by MUsoxfan »

feedback