Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another one dimensional Wojo team  (Read 10591 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Another one dimensional Wojo team
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »
At the open practice this year Wojo specifically said, we were much more dangerous this season.  We had the ability to attack the basket AND shoot from the perimeter.  He assured us we would not be so one dimensional and much more difficult to guard - and I believed him. 

He lied.

We launch 3's, we don't get to the free throw line, we don't attack the basket and we don't put any pressure on the defense.  Same soft offense we have been seeing for years under Wojo. 

In addition, the turnovers continue to be a huge problem and defensively we can't defend without fouling, as we have seen each of the last 6 years.

I have defended Wojo for 5 years.  And, as badly as I want him to succeed, it is clear his approach is not working.  I don't want to start over, and lose our recruiting class, but it might be time to move on.

I won't be fooled the next time he lies to the fanbase.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:53:41 PM by 94Warrior »

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Another soft Wojo team
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
When I see yet another new thread bashing Wojo pop up

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:41:01 PM »
At the open practice this year Wojo specifically said, we were much more dangerous this season.  We had the ability to attack the basket AND shoot from the perimeter.  He assured us we would not be so one dimensional and much more difficult to guard - and I believed him. 

He lied.

We launch 3's, we don't get to the free throw line, we don't attack the basket and we don't put any pressure on the defense.  Same soft offense we have been seeing for years under Wojo. 

In addition, the turnovers continue to be a huge problem and defensively we can't defend without fouling, as we have seen each of the last 6 years.

I have defended Wojo for 5 years.  And, as badly as I want him to succeed, it is clear his approach is not working.  I don't want to start over, and lose our recruiting class, but it might be time to move on.

I won't be fooled the next time he lies to the fanbase.

Amen.  I'm done.  This was going to be the year.  It's not gonna be.

I said in another thread, the Hauser brothers were smart.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 05:44:01 PM »
Fluff

He has been out of his league for a few years. I have said it many times, he was not an assistant for 30 years because he was highly sought after. Funny thing, ball Godfather,Doc Rivers, rubber stamped this hire.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
I don't know how soft they are but Wojo's offense never gets them any easy looks.  SH is not a good offensive team and they consistently got slams and easy layups.  Wojo's offense is all about getting nba talent and just letting them improvise.   Worked at Duke.  Won't work here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »
Woj likely wuz nice ta Austin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
What kind of kool aid were you drinking to think this roster would be anything other than one dimensional!??????

Lets axe this coattail riding loser before we become loyola north

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
I don't know how soft they are but Wojo's offense never gets them any easy looks.  SH is not a good offensive team and they consistently got slams and easy layups.  Wojo's offense is all about getting nba talent and just letting them improvise.   Worked at Duke.  Won't work here.

It's one dimensional.  They can only score one way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »

It's one dimensional.  They can only score one way.

What was telling was when we were down by 9 and they showed the huddle. Wojo was preaching how it’s a 3 possession game, which is 100% true, but also shows he doesn’t even try to get ball inside. If we’re not hitting from 3 we’re lost. Zero inside game
Bring back FFP!!!

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 05:51:54 PM »

Amen.  I'm done.  This was going to be the year.  It's not gonna be.

I said in another thread, the Hauser brothers were smart.

No doubt on the Hausers. They took a ton of crap here on Scoop after the transfer, but they will have the last laugh.

This team is bottom level BE talent (other than Howard). And, the worst part it is old talent.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
Grad transfers are fookin' awful, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
I never understood the "fear of rebuilding" concern. Assuming this teams wins 6--7 BE games in 2019-20 with all of your recruits, etc. a one year drop to 3-5 wins isn't that big of a deal. With the buy games, a rebuilding season should be around .500.

Secondly, what is so special about a sub 500 BE finish, quick exits in the BET, and infrequent NCAA bids resulting in blowouts?

The only question is whether another coach would be more successful given the circumstances and resources.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »

True, soft was a bad choice of words.  Absolutely one dimensional.

• All American
Re: Another one dimensional Wojo team
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
I'd rather rebuild than watch next year's class underperform and/or transfer.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
True, soft was a bad choice of words.  Absolutely one dimensional.

They're both.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
Warrior of Law

Agreed. You never keep a coach over a fear of a rebuild. That is how you are a bubble team for six years. Bite the bullet and move forward.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:46 PM »
I never understood the "fear of rebuilding" concern. Assuming this teams wins 6--7 BE games in 2019-20 with all of your recruits, etc. a one year drop to 3-5 wins isn't that big of a deal. With the buy games, a rebuilding season should be around .500.

Secondly, what is so special about a sub 500 BE finish, quick exits in the BET, and infrequent NCAA bids resulting in blowouts?

The only question is whether another coach would be more successful given the circumstances and resources.
Yeah I'll wait until after to see how we are half way through but if it's bad I may have to jump on board

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »
Yeah...the Hausers wouldn't make this the Top 5 team people were predicting last year.  That was a fallacy all along.   So...whatever

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
Fluff

He has been out of his league for a few years. I have said it many times, he was not an assistant for 30 years because he was highly sought after. Funny thing, ball Godfather,Doc Rivers, rubber stamped this hire.

I guess he was probably like an assistant on the floor when he was 13 years old. Should’ve consulted Goose instead of Doc Rivers.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
Looks like we significantly over rated the talent. is there any player on this team that has lived up to expectations? other than howard?

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »
Looks like we significantly over rated the talent. is there any player on this team that has lived up to expectations? other than howard?

Cain. I had no expectations for him. And he’s done that!!!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 06:14:31 PM »

I’d argue almost all of them did. This wasn’t a very highly rated roster coming out of high school.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »

Not consistently. Everyone has shown flashes, but the inability to find any consistent play outside of Markus is maddening.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
Hey, it could be worse. We could be North Carolina!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
Not consistently. Everyone has shown flashes, but the inability to find any consistent play outside of Markus is maddening.

Theo is especially frustrating to me.  He markedly improved from frosh to soph seasons.  Seems like he has regressed a bit this season.

feedback