[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Thoughts on Open Scrimmage  (Read 9802 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: [Paint Touches] Thoughts on Open Scrimmage
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 07:10:58 AM »
That’s priceless coming from you.

Was just curious as to how he reached the “at least 90%” number.
You don't know a thing about wizards.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 10:53:30 AM »
Was just curious as to how he reached the “at least 90%” number.

My eyeballs. But you're right, not all people aged mid-20s in attendance and up were necessary alumni and their families, just most of them. Mostly the sentence was to illustrate that it was more well attended by non-students than students.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 11:01:30 AM »
I’d hate to be so glass half empty because I’m usually not, but I sort of feel the same.

Seeing the guards score with ease in these scrimmages concerns me more about the defense than it makes me feel confident that they are ahead of schedule offensively.

Unfortunately won’t really know until they play against other good defenses in the OOC portion of the schedule.

I felt this way about the Gold team's defense but not the Blue team's. Stevie and Sean were disruptive on D but they weren't locking people down. Itejere is fine on defense but not great and Gold is a negative on defense at this point. Blue team I felt like was playing very good defense, Oso in particular looked like a real rim protector....and they had Jonah Lucas trying to cover Sean and Stevie.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2022, 11:10:11 AM »
Ty TAMU.  What do you see with S.Jones defensively?  Can he use his quicks to lock down opposing guards eventually?  How do you forsee Shaka using our four guards?

Sean was very disruptive, got his share of deflections and was all over the place...but Kolek and Jones were able to get him turned around and out of position multiple times. It's going to take him time to become a lockdown type defender but will be able to be a pest right away. I'd compare him to Stevie's defense last season. Lots of energy and deflections but not locking anyone down yet. Difference between them is that Sean's offense and PG skills seem to be significantly ahead of where Stevie's were last season.

I think Kolek plays as many minutes as he can handle. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he'll be on an All-Big East roster at the end of the season. I think one of Stevie and Sean will almost always be playing opposite Kolek to give a second ball handler on offense and a disruptor on defense. I also think Kam will spend a lot of time at the 3 and it seems clear that he is going to be our go to scorer. Even so, I still suspect that Kam may come off the bench (but play more than most starters) to set the tone on defense before bringing in the microwave.
TAMU

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2022, 11:47:06 AM »
I’m kind of curious on thoughts for the starting lineup. I could see it being the Blue team with OMax there instead of Lucas. Maybe Stevie going in for Kam or Wrightsill.

Part of the reason I wasn’t too concerned about the big gap in score was I figured it was almost a first team versus second team.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2022, 12:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the write up.  Combining your comments with the other thread, here's my take:

Kam and Oso have taken the next steps to become starters.  Kolek is our most important player and O-Max is still solid, though probably not a great iso scorer.

Top 4 players:

Kolek
O-Max
Kam Jones
Oso

Mitchell and Wrightsil are probably 5 & 6 in some order, with Sean Jones 7th (or at worst 8th if Joplin is ahead of him).

Itejere and Gold are both works in progress.   It may take time to sort out which one plays more.  But I also think Gold had one of his worst days at the scrimmage.  I still think he improves as the season goes on and ends up a very nice bench piece.

Wish Joplin would have played but understand why he was kept out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
Sean was very disruptive, got his share of deflections and was all over the place...but Kolek and Jones were able to get him turned around and out of position multiple times. It's going to take him time to become a lockdown type defender but will be able to be a pest right away. I'd compare him to Stevie's defense last season. Lots of energy and deflections but not locking anyone down yet. Difference between them is that Sean's offense and PG skills seem to be significantly ahead of where Stevie's were last season.

I think Kolek plays as many minutes as he can handle. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he'll be on an All-Big East roster at the end of the season. I think one of Stevie and Sean will almost always be playing opposite Kolek to give a second ball handler on offense and a disruptor on defense. I also think Kam will spend a lot of time at the 3 and it seems clear that he is going to be our go to scorer. Even so, I still suspect that Kam may come off the bench (but play more than most starters) to set the tone on defense before bringing in the microwave.

You're drinking the Kolek-Ade, and I think that's great. I love the optimism, Wiz, and I sure hope you're right. Having an all-conference PG would cover up a lot of warts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2022, 12:05:14 PM »
I’m kind of curious on thoughts for the starting lineup. I could see it being the Blue team with OMax there instead of Lucas. Maybe Stevie going in for Kam or Wrightsill.

Part of the reason I wasn’t too concerned about the big gap in score was I figured it was almost a first team versus second team.

My guess has been:

Kolek
Stevie
O-Max
Wrightsil
Oso

With Kam being a supersub that gets more minutes than Stevie and Wrightsil (and as many as O-Max and Oso).

I think this would be our best defensive lineup and my thought is that Shaka values defense over offense and will want to set the defensive tone early. The only concern would be if having both Wrightsil and Oso out there would bog down the offense too much by allowing the opposing defense to cheat to the paint. That didn't happen during the scrimmage and the two of them combined for 9 assists. I think their post passing is enough to counteract any pack em in defenses.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2022, 12:44:34 PM »
I’ve got Kam starting now. Jop to supply the offensive spark off bench
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2022, 12:46:39 PM »
this, I agree.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2022, 12:59:17 PM »
That's how I would see it.  I'm not confident Stevie and TK can play a lot of minutes together.  Joplin will need to play a lot of minutes.  I think we need Kam to be really good this year. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »
My guess has been:

Kolek
Stevie
O-Max
Wrightsil
Oso

With Kam being a supersub that gets more minutes than Stevie and Wrightsil (and as many as O-Max and Oso).

I think this would be our best defensive lineup and my thought is that Shaka values defense over offense and will want to set the defensive tone early. The only concern would be if having both Wrightsil and Oso out there would bog down the offense too much by allowing the opposing defense to cheat to the paint. That didn't happen during the scrimmage and the two of them combined for 9 assists. I think their post passing is enough to counteract any pack em in defenses.

I respect your opinion and appreciate all the great work.

I understand this point of view.

However, I just can’t see a situation where Shaka doesn’t start Kam.
He started a lot last season when no one expected it, and it seems like he is taking a big jump to become one of the best players on the squad.
Also, Shaka always seems to start what he deems to be his best lineup.

I actually would argue that other than Kolek and Oso he’s the third most guaranteed start on the team, with Omax behind him in a situation where Wrightsil steps up and plays better (wouldn’t happen until later in the season imo) or Jop just starts becoming a necessary must have in the lineup scorer that doesn’t get deflated on defense.

Prospers versatility in defense and sheer athletic ability will likely have him as a locked in starter, but a lot of that comes due to his intense defensive effort and positive attitude.

More than likely my guess is that Shaka starts the season with Stevie as the last starter in a 3 guard lineup with
Kolek-Stevie-Kam-OMax-Oso

and as the season progresses and Wrightsil gets more accustomed to the team and higher level of play, as well as Shaka realizing that we need more size due to a difficulty on the boards/interior defense he enters into the starting lineup and likely replaces Stevie unless Kolek/Kam struggle mightily offensively
Kolek-Kam-OMax-Wrightsil-Oso.

That also depends on how useful Shaka thinks Gold/Itijere are spelling Oso at the 5, because if he doesn’t have the confidence they can hold their own Wrightsil continues coming off the bench to spell Oso and gets additional minutes at the 4.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
Kam isn’t any good
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »
Kam isn’t any good

I dunno about that, Unk. He reminds me of Diener.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 02:49:39 PM »
I respect your opinion and appreciate all the great work.

I understand this point of view.

However, I just can’t see a situation where Shaka doesn’t start Kam.
He started a lot last season when no one expected it, and it seems like he is taking a big jump to become one of the best players on the squad.
Also, Shaka always seems to start what he deems to be his best lineup.

I actually would argue that other than Kolek and Oso he’s the third most guaranteed start on the team, with Omax behind him in a situation where Wrightsil steps up and plays better (wouldn’t happen until later in the season imo) or Jop just starts becoming a necessary must have in the lineup scorer that doesn’t get deflated on defense.

Prospers versatility in defense and sheer athletic ability will likely have him as a locked in starter, but a lot of that comes due to his intense defensive effort and positive attitude.

More than likely my guess is that Shaka starts the season with Stevie as the last starter in a 3 guard lineup with
Kolek-Stevie-Kam-OMax-Oso

and as the season progresses and Wrightsil gets more accustomed to the team and higher level of play, as well as Shaka realizing that we need more size due to a difficulty on the boards/interior defense he enters into the starting lineup and likely replaces Stevie unless Kolek/Kam struggle mightily offensively
Kolek-Kam-OMax-Wrightsil-Oso.

That also depends on how useful Shaka thinks Gold/Itijere are spelling Oso at the 5, because if he doesn’t have the confidence they can hold their own Wrightsil continues coming off the bench to spell Oso and gets additional minutes at the 4.

I don't even disagree with you. I'm certainly putting a lot of money on the idea that Kam will come off the bench, just a hunch. I put close to zero value on who starts vs who plays the most minutes. We definitely agree that Kam is getting a ton of minutes this season.
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »

Wojo recruit.  Pass

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 04:51:32 PM »

Ty TAMU.  I'm extremely excited about seeing Sean on the floor.  I don't think we've had a guy with his jets in a long time. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »
After reading comments about the scrimmage from those who attended it, it doesn't sound like we have a dominant player on this team. I wish we did. Does anyone feel that we have potential stars on this team?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:58 PM »
After reading comments about the scrimmage from those who attended it, it doesn't sound like we have a dominant player on this team. I wish we did. Does anyone feel that we have potential stars on this team?

I think TK is a potential star in the Arcidiacono/Gillespie type mold. Defensively, I think O-Max is a potential star. Scoring wise, Kam feels most likely to be able to be that consistent leading scorer.

I don't think we have a BEPOY contender like Justin was last year, but I think we have a couple potential second team guys. I'll take that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
I don't think we have a BEPOY contender like Justin was last year, but I think we have a couple potential second team guys. I'll take that.

I’m rebuilding years I guess I’ll take that. Overall no. Talent wins. You need dudes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2022, 06:09:32 PM »
I’m rebuilding years I guess I’ll take that. Overall no. Talent wins. You need dudes.

Yup.  This was why the whole who cares if Justin leaves talk was idiotic.  If he’s back, this is a much better team with a potential BEPOY on the roster.

He isn’t back, however.  Will someone rise to the occasion and take that spot?  I’m pretty bullish someone will. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2022, 06:51:30 PM »
Was there much talk, if any, of Lewis being BEPOY potential at this time last year? There’s a lot of time for that, and I’m not sure a hour and a half scrimmage is enough to say we don’t.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2022, 06:57:28 PM »

I dunno, Mike. They’re both guards with great range but beyond that? Diener had great court vision and handles - and could dish like few others. Kam is bigger, stronger and a better athlete who could become an outstanding shooting guard. Not all that similar to me.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2022, 07:01:49 PM »
Put me in the camp that thinks TK could be a potential star in the BE

I just really hope hes improved at the rim. Gonna need that and a mid range.

I am actually not worried about the outside shot
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2022, 07:07:12 PM »
Put me in the camp that thinks TK could be a potential star in the BE

I just really hope hes improved at the rim. Gonna need that and a mid range.

I am actually not worried about the outside shot

He can get the floater any time he wants.  I think the trifecta is important as well but I agree with you.  He has to convert in the paint.