[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 37158 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »
Even the Sikma J?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
FEED THE FISCH!!!!!

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
He has a high basketball IQ, great fit for Wojo's system.

Homer said the same thing at halftime.  He plays smart.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »
I wonder if my coworkers will think I've lost it tomorrow when I am walking around whispering to myself "it's just one game...it's just one game...it's just one game..."

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
Fischer is the real deal.  He's a difference maker!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
I've won money from my dad on two separate performances this week. One for Abdel NaderNader and the other for Fischer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
He was a stud tonight. However, he did not have a block or rebound in the last 10+ minutes. I think he got tired. We have to remember ASU did not have a scouting report on him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »
Absolutely.   I understand riding the hot hand, but big guys need rest.   STjr and Cohen need to step up.   Luke simply cannot go 30+ a night. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
Let's relax.  One game against an undersized team.  He certainly helps and understands the game.  Allows Wojo to play the style of game he would like to see (aggressive man defense, force turnovers, and transition, work the ball inside in the half court).  But I'm not going to expect 8, 5, and 4 blocks every half, or even every game.

What is undersized about ASU? Jacobson is 6'10 and their forwards are 6'8". Hardly undersized. Maybe you confused them with Marquette.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:00:16 AM by 79Warrior »

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »
If he can stay out of foul trouble, MU will be the surprise team of the Big East!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
Luke is a beast.  Made everyone around him better.

Loved Raft starting to compare him to Butch...but then right away saying Luke does so much more!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
What is undersized about ASU? Jacobson is 6'10 and their forwards RE 6'8". Hardly undersized. Maybe you confused them with Marquette.

Jacobsen is 6'10", Atwood & Gilling are the only others over 6'6". They're bigger than we are, but still not big.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
Many have said it...Luke was much more than just the blocks, more than the rebounds, more than just the points, more that the altered shots...the BEST thing was that he made the rest of the team look good.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
When was the last time we had a guy with 5 blocks in a game? Seriously, I have no idea.

brandx

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
Many have said it...Luke was much more than just the blocks, more than the rebounds, more than just the points, more that the altered shots...the BEST thing was that he made the rest of the team look good.

He changes the lineup. Without him, DW had to play 30 minutes because we needed the defense. Now with Luke covering mistakes in the middle we could go with Duane, JJJ, and Carlino on the perimeter. They all have to be guarded so Luke will have a lot of one-on-one oppurtunities down low.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
Bill Walton II

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 10:52:28 PM »
That shoulder worries me.  It maybe just that it was so heavily wrapped that it constricted his mobility, but it appeared he was favoring it, and not in a good way.  

I know I read like a Debbie Downer, I just hope he stays healthy for his time at MU because what I witnessed out there on the court was a post player (5) having an impact on every aspect of the game which I haven't seen done in an MU uniform for I don't know how long.  Very promising.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
Luke came from an excellent HS program, and was very well-coached. His understanding of space and positioning is so far ahead of Taylor, who is in his third year of D1 ball. He allows them to handle ball screens much better, and shut off some driving lanes. 19 points on the other end ain't bad, either.

I'll raise my hand and say I underestimated how much he'd help. I know it's one game, but things just got interesting for this team.

brandx

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »
Bill Walton II

Not in this universe.Not even a poor man's bill Walton.

PS - I know you were joking 8-)

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
Sort of

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:53 PM »
Reminds me of a developing Kelly Olynyk from Gonzaga.  If he turns into Olynyk by his senior season we'll be really lucky.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
He changes the lineup. Without him, DW had to play 30 minutes because we needed the defense. Now with Luke covering mistakes in the middle we could go with Duane, JJJ, and Carlino on the perimeter. They all have to be guarded so Luke will have a lot of one-on-one oppurtunities down low.

What defense?  We were playing zone.  One guy is 6'11", the other guy is 6'1" playing way undersized at the forward position in our zone. Derrick playing less tonight had nothing to do with Luke Fischer being available.

I figured Wojo would eventually figure it out by conference play.  We saw the sagging take place tonight, and it was so interesting to watch Carlino and Duane come off screens at the elbow only to have Derrick's defender standing there.  LOL.

That aside.  As Buzz said:  Luke is manna from heaven.  Highly skilled big.  Great feel for the game.  Good with left and right.  Plays under control.  Assuming a similar level of play continues - Luke is the best all around big at MU since...well...I can't even remember.  Better than any of Gardner, Robert Jackson, Amal, Mac.  I never saw the Al Years to know any of those guys games.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
The thing about Derrick is he does not need to be an offensive juggernaut but just a move or two to keep the defense honest. Practice a ten foot bank shot or a floating layup anything

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
What defense?  We were playing zone.  One guy is 6'11", the other guy is 6'1" playing way undersized at the forward position in our zone. Derrick playing less tonight had nothing to do with Luke Fischer being available.

I figured Wojo would eventually figure it out by conference play.  We saw the sagging take place tonight, and it was so interesting to watch Carlino and Duane come off screens at the elbow only to have Derrick's defender standing there.  LOL.

That aside.  As Buzz said:  Luke is manna from heaven.  Highly skilled big.  Great feel for the game.  Good with left and right.  Plays under control.  Assuming a similar level of play continues - Luke is the best all around big at MU since...well...I can't even remember.  Better than any of Gardner, Robert Jackson, Amal, Mac.  I never saw the Al Years to know any of those guys games.

Yippee! A thread about a great game by our newest eligible member of the team turns into Ners bashing Derrick! Woo hoo!

Seriously, weren't you self banning yourself?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
Saw him play at Indiana last year and he was nothing special, maybe because Tom Crean does not know how to use a center since he never recruited an offensive center with center moves,
I discount Devante just used his weight, and body.  Luke used both hands, left and right lay-ups, knows how to use his body in getting shots off.  The 15 foot shot from the baseline was really
impressive.  I can not remember a better opening game for a center in years or 40 years.  MU has had many average offensive centers but nobody really with his ability.  He will make MU a much
better team.  Liked how Wojo used him on the offensive end, he knows what he has and used it.  Crean had no idea how to use a center, most of the time he ran the baseline behind the basket.
He is not Bill Walton, but if he keeps on playing like today, might be one of the best centers in MU history.  Then again there has not been to many,  Whitehead, McIlvaine, MaCaskell, Downing,
Copa, Lovette, Barro, and others all had weaknesses in there game, Luke can stack up with all of them.  The year just got more fun, the same night Parker is out for the year, to bad for the
Bucks. Also, Luke can play a little D.

feedback