'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo Could Learn Something From Matt  (Read 4972 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Theo Could Learn Something From Matt
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Not every shot needs to be blocked. Stay in position. Don’t bite on every shot fake. For as much progress as he’s made, his inability to stay out of foul trouble has been a problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

fjm

• All American
Re: Theo Could Learn Something From Matt
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
Not every shot needs to be blocked. Stay in position. Don’t bite on every shot fake. For as much progress as he’s made, his inability to stay out of foul trouble has been a problem.

Could he also learn how to lose 3 easy rebounds in the first half from Matt?
Or is this a “things theo does wrong” only thread?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26:41 PM »

I literally just said the same thing out loud.... "not everything needs to be blocked".  He picks up some dumb fouls, his first one over the back was unnecessary, too. I don't want to damper his play or his aggressiveness, but you are exactly right. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »

No it’s things Theo needs to work on. He’s better than Matt and should be playing in front of him. But Matt’s positional defense is very good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »
I don't disagree with the premise. Theo has some dumb fouls, and two of them in this game. But you're not the player he is without taking risks.

He needs to stop biting on pumps - probably his biggest weakness

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:36:30 PM »
I have mentioned that many times.   He is block happy, going for pump fakes, picking up fouls, taking himself out of position for rebounds.   Sophomore.     He has improved so much.    I have little doubt he will continue to.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »
I have mentioned that many times.   He is block happy, going for pump fakes, picking up fouls, taking himself out of position for rebounds.   Sophomore.     He has improved so much.    I have little doubt he will continue to.   

I concur. Mostly frustrated that he can’t stay on the floor.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:29:00 PM »
In 15 Big East games, Theo has had at least 4 fouls in eleven of them.  Thats not good. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
Matt can learn how to recover in pick and roll defense from Theo. Not sure I’ve seen a worse big than Heldt in that area
No Finish Line

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 10:30:16 PM »
In 15 Big East games, Theo has had at least 4 fouls in eleven of them.  Thats not good.

Once he gets that first block, that's all he's looking for. A little balance to his game would help a lot. Luckily, he's just a sophomore, so he'll continue to improve.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
Easily could have been called for his 5th on that Paschal travel too.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:24 PM »
I literally just said the same thing out loud.... "not everything needs to be blocked".  He picks up some dumb fouls, his first one over the back was unnecessary, too. I don't want to damper his play or his aggressiveness, but you are exactly right.
Tonight, the two fouls on rebounds where he didn't have a chance at the ball were the bad fouls.  I don't mind the fouls when going for blocks, though.  He does take himself out of rebounding position quite a bit when selling out for the block.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:58 PM »
Matt can learn how to recover in pick and roll defense from Theo. Not sure I’ve seen a worse big than Heldt in that area

Sacar’s foul at the end of the game was because John misplayed the pick and roll.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:28 PM »
No it’s things Theo needs to work on. He’s better than Matt and should be playing in front of him. But Matt’s positional defense is very good.

Matt’s positional defense is not good.  He is slow, overcommits and gets beat frequently.  He’s a solid player/contributor but I don’t agree that there is something to ‘learn’ from Matt specifically.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
Sacar’s foul at the end of the game was because John misplayed the pick and roll.
Ergo he’s bad in pick and roll defense?
No Finish Line

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
It'll come. And a lot of it is reputation based. Theo had to learn how to read the play to snipe the block. Now that he's getting a reputation as a big time shot blocker, he has to learn to use that reputation to get inside the offense's head and alter shots without leaving his feet. That's a really good problem to have though, and probably not something we start seeing until conference games next year.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
Yes, Theo loves blocks. Sometime a foul on a block attempt is OK. I honestly believe that sometimes he gets fouls called without contact just because he looks so menacing.

But tonight, I think there were two fouls which were needless - he was out of position and went over the top - that's going to be called every time. He needs to learn when NOT to contest for a bound.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
It'll come. And a lot of it is reputation based. Theo had to learn how to read the play to snipe the block. Now that he's getting a reputation as a big time shot blocker, he has to learn to use that reputation to get inside the offense's head and alter shots without leaving his feet. That's a really good problem to have though, and probably not something we start seeing until conference games next year.

Eh, I'm not sure I buy that in college. I think he gets more fouls called because he tends to swing his arms too much. He loves to swat the ball instead of just deflecting the shot. The more a defender moves his arms, the more fouls he's going to get called for.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
Theo has a lot to learn. From Matt, though? I think I'd pick a different teacher.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
The dumbest one was his third under Nova’s basket...except he got pushed by 21 so ya know.  Dude looks like A WWE wrestler and fouls are called accordingly.  Sacar had some really dumb grabs.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:28 PM »
I wouldn’t mind seeing him let guys have a shot when beat on occasion early just to be able to stay on the court. Theo’s 4th I believe was after someone got beat and he helped and nailed them to avoid giving up a good look. There was still enough time left that the foul was not necessary.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »
And a lot of it is reputation based.

I've heard reputation is the key to adult learning.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
Tonight, the two fouls on rebounds where he didn't have a chance at the ball were the bad fouls.

Agree 100%. Theo was totally out of position and had no chance at those rebounds. Clear over the back. I'm sure it's not quite that simple in the moment. But he needs to commit fewer avoidable fouls.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

burger

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
He "wasted" two fouls with needles over the backs.....The refs did not want to call them......But when you knock the opposing player down......

But the "butter fingers" thing on rebounds is annoying as ........3 possessions tonight.....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »
I know what I'm about to say is probably sacrilege, but there are times I would rather see Morrow at the 4 than Joey who could give Matt more help inside. We still have Sam and Markus to hit the 3.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »
I know what I'm about to say is probably sacrilege, but there are times I would rather see Morrow at the 4 than Joey who could give Matt more help inside. We still have Sam and Markus to hit the 3.
I'd rather see Joey at the 5 than Matt TBH
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »

the last 2 directly led to 4 pts at the end of the half.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
Yes, Theo loves blocks. Sometime a foul on a block attempt is OK. I honestly believe that sometimes he gets fouls called without contact just because he looks so menacing.

But tonight, I think there were two fouls which were needless - he was out of position and went over the top - that's going to be called every time. He needs to learn when NOT to contest for a bound.

This. His two silly fouls vs Nova had absolutely nothing to do with him going for blocks.

He is going to get some fouls because he is an aggressive defender, and most of us can live with those, especially given how solid Ed has been. But he has to not get the cheapies -- like the 2 he got last night, or the moving screens. He has gotten much better at avoiding moving screens, so obviously he can be coached and improved, and he will continue to get better.

the last 2 directly led to 4 pts at the end of the half.

This. Heldt actually played pretty well for us -- better than I thought he would, I admit -- but those were absolutely killers.

He went from not playing in several games to playing 7-8 straight minutes there. He probably was gassed. Wojo probably should have gotten him a breather and gone with Joey at the 5. Easy for me to say now, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 08:22:40 PM »
Two of John's fouls came after dumb plays by our other players. The first one was Joey throwing a weak pass that got intercepted. John and some of other players rushed down and kept the original shot from going in, but John fouled after we did not get the rebound. The foul would not have happen, if we did not turn over the ball. His fourth or last foul came when he was asking for the ball, but Anim forced up a bad shot instead of passing it to John. John fouled going for the rebound. The foul would not have happen, if Anim passed it to him like he should of. Mistakes lead to players being out of position and that is what happen to John on these plays.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
Yes. It is true that TJ needs to be more selective, but right now he’s not. He is picking up fouls due to the mistakes of others that he is covering for and then overcompensating.
Hard to blame others for his fouls, but their mistakes aren’t helping his situation.