[Today at 04:54:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41374 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but, at this point we have zero idea why Sam and Joey left.  It could be about Markus or Wojo? It could be about basketball or off court personal issues. It could be all kinds of things. 

All we know is those two left and it is important to add key players for next season as well as to keep developing the current players, as well as recruit at a high level. This is top priority

Less of a priority.....I am of course interested as to why they left. I would like to know. But there is no point in guessing. 

Wojo this Wojo that. If he wins he wins, if he doesn’t he won’t be around simple as that. High pressure on him next year for results, as well as the next few years. And that is fair. This is with any type of roster.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
Still

There are guys drooling over Elliott and has not done a thing yet. If he can make major improvements, how come Joey could not? I would bet on Joey getting better over Cain or Elliott.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
I have a question. I’ve always been a Wojo backer, but it’s impossible not to wonder if he’s asleep at the wheel.

My question, however, is if this was a Wojo issue for the Hausers, why did they wait to announce they were transferring until after Markus said he was coming back? Doesn’t that suggest they’d still be at Marquette (with Wojo) if Howard wasn’t?

And do the Hausers understand they’ve forever tarnished whatever legacy Howard will have as the all time leading scorer?

I do understand that it’s the coach’s responsibility to rein players in, but I gotta say I believe this is more a Howard issue than a Wojo issue. Even fans on this message board have been screaming about it all year and we don’t work 365 days a year to make ourselves better basketball players. I don’t blame the Hausers for transferring away from Howard. I wouldn’t even want to wait to play a Rec League game with him.

connie

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
I have a question. I’ve always been a Wojo backer, but it’s impossible not to wonder if he’s asleep at the wheel.

My question, however, is if this was a Wojo issue for the Hausers, why did they wait to announce they were transferring until after Markus said he was coming back? Doesn’t that suggest they’d still be at Marquette (with Wojo) if Howard wasn’t?

And do the Hausers understand they’ve forever tarnished whatever legacy Howard will have as the all time leading scorer?

I do understand that it’s the coach’s responsibility to rein players in, but I gotta say I believe this is more a Howard issue than a Wojo issue. Even fans on this message board have been screaming about it all year and we don’t work 365 days a year to make ourselves better basketball players. I don’t blame the Hausers for transferring away from Howard. I wouldn’t even want to wait to play a Rec League game with him.
In a rec league there is presumably no coach getting paid millions of dollars to ensure that you and your rec league buddies play as a team, which requires a measure of sacrifice.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
Still

There are guys drooling over Elliott and has not done a thing yet. If he can make major improvements, how come Joey could not? I would bet on Joey getting better over Cain or Elliott.

Again, we agree.  As I said, I am in an apparent minority that thinks Joey might end up even better than Sam.  Still, I think it's likely he would have seen his minutes decrease next year.  This is in no way, shape or form intended to diminish Joey.  I think Marquette was going to have an improved team next year, with some additional options.  I don't think it's remotely controversial or surprising to think that Joey might have experienced a reduction in minutes in light of this.  I'm honestly a little confused why you are so determined to resist what seems to me -- a big Joey Hauser fan -- pretty obvious.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
Again, we agree.  As I said, I am in an apparent minority that thinks Joey might end up even better than Sam.  Still, I think it's likely he would have seen his minutes decrease next year.  This is in no way, shape or form intended to diminish Joey.  I think Marquette was going to have an improved team next year, with some additional options.  I don't think it's remotely controversial or surprising to think that Joey might have experienced a reduction in minutes in light of this.  I'm honestly a little confused why you are so determined to resist what seems to me -- a big Joey Hauser fan -- pretty obvious.

I have noticed this too. There are some people on here comparing a first year player with a 3rd year player. Yet many times, not always, the biggest jump in level happens between year 1 and 2. Sam was obviously better but he was also in his 3rd season. Not really able to compare until after Joey’s 3rd season. Can only compare their first seasons at this point. I do expect a jump in level for Greg and Brendan. It didn’t happen for Cain in that 1-2 time range. Maybe it can happen for him for next year. We’ll see.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

This is just a guess, and it may be a stupid guess...but I bet when Wojo recruited these guys, he knew they would “get theirs” in our program, but just maybe he thought they would enjoy the open looks they do get courtesy of a stud All-American, who, by the way, also seriously padded the Hausers’ rebounding numbers by drawing multiple defenders into awkward positions.  Yes, no question some of his own shots were ridiculously hoisted.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »
I don't understand Sams thinking at all, is he his brothers keeper? He would have had the spotlight on him in his senior year and maybe been drafted!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2019, 06:16:37 PM »
Still

We are in agreement. My only point, it is impossible to judge PT six months out. Joey could have come back a beast and been best player. If I were Wojo, I would not be selling less or more PT to any player at this point. You are correct, Joey might have ended up with less minutes, but would not have bet on current guys taking any away from him.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »
Still

We are in agreement. My only point, it is impossible to judge PT six months out. Joey could have come back a beast and been best player. If I were Wojo, I would not be selling less or more PT to any player at this point. You are correct, Joey might have ended up with less minutes, but would not have bet on current guys taking any away from him.
So very true.  If Joey shot 50% from the 3 point line next year he'd have all the minutes he could handle. I doubt any decent coach would guarantee less minutes unless they were running off a player.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2019, 09:17:08 PM »
From the 247 board:

“ghostBehind 2421

63 minutes ago

The record needs to be set straight as there is a fair amount of slander going around with the current situation. Please, please, please no one take out their frustrations on Markus or the Hauser’s.

Markus has a way that he likes to play and he believes that style will get him to the next level. It’s not directly on him to change to make his teammates happy.

The Hauser’s have a right to be frustrated with the lack of looks in the offense and shouldn’t be looked down upon because they’re leaving for greener pastures.

It’s human nature to selfishly take care of yourself/family first. However it’s on the coach and coaching staff to manage the egos and quell frustrations, especially with a roster as talented and potent as we would have been next year.

This situation rests squarely on the shoulders of the head coach for repeated negligence on managing the personalities on his team and refusing to cope with very vocal frustrations throughout the past year.

Some animosity began when Markus was allowed to go back home over the summer to work out with his family while everyone else was required to stay on campus. A lot of players were frustrated with this and rightfully so. Sure, Markus’ dad is a trainer, but if you’re building a team, why allow a key member of your team to leave everyone else during a crucial team building period to live at home, away from the rules/restrictions everyone else must abide by.

Frustrations grew significantly when Markus was dominating the ball down the losing stretch and Wojo refused to rest him or adjust to allow a more team oriented approach. Because many on the team felt it was the only option to get through to Wojo, a letter was written to him, initiated by the Hauser’s and cosigned by other members on the team, but it still fell on deaf ears.

There was a one sided conversation following the season and it ended with the Hauser’s saying thanks and we’re leaving.

This situation rests squarely on the shoulders of Wojo not being able to manage his team over the past year.”

If any of this is true regarding his handling of Markus, it further confirms to me Wojo needs to go.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:18:42 PM by Otule's Glass Eye »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
It always bugged me that they let him go home when the guys were going through workouts here.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »

There was a one sided conversation following the season and it ended with the Hauser’s saying thanks and we’re leaving.

This story leaves out the ultimatum Dad and sons gave Wojo that led to the one sided conversation.

If any of THAT is true, Wojo absolutely handled it the correct way and should be commended.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
This story leaves out the ultimatum Dad and sons gave Wojo that led to the one sided conversation.

If any of THAT is true, Wojo absolutely handled it the correct way and should be commended.

Agree 100%

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »

But doesn’t really address the larger point that his preferential treatment of Markus, whether real or perceived, was not managed well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »

It’s Wojo’s fault that it got to the point of an ultimatum being issued.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
From the 247 board:

“ghostBehind 2421

63 minutes ago

The record needs to be set straight as there is a fair amount of slander going around with the current situation. Please, please, please no one take out their frustrations on Markus or the Hauser’s.

Markus has a way that he likes to play and he believes that style will get him to the next level. It’s not directly on him to change to make his teammates happy.

The Hauser’s have a right to be frustrated with the lack of looks in the offense and shouldn’t be looked down upon because they’re leaving for greener pastures.

It’s human nature to selfishly take care of yourself/family first. However it’s on the coach and coaching staff to manage the egos and quell frustrations, especially with a roster as talented and potent as we would have been next year.

This situation rests squarely on the shoulders of the head coach for repeated negligence on managing the personalities on his team and refusing to cope with very vocal frustrations throughout the past year.

Some animosity began when Markus was allowed to go back home over the summer to work out with his family while everyone else was required to stay on campus. A lot of players were frustrated with this and rightfully so. Sure, Markus’ dad is a trainer, but if you’re building a team, why allow a key member of your team to leave everyone else during a crucial team building period to live at home, away from the rules/restrictions everyone else must abide by.

Frustrations grew significantly when Markus was dominating the ball down the losing stretch and Wojo refused to rest him or adjust to allow a more team oriented approach. Because many on the team felt it was the only option to get through to Wojo, a letter was written to him, initiated by the Hauser’s and cosigned by other members on the team, but it still fell on deaf ears.

This situation rests squarely on the shoulders of Wojo not being able to manage his team over the past year.”

If any of this is true regarding his handling of Markus, it further confirms to me Wojo needs to go.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2019, 09:30:54 PM »

Care to explain further?

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:11 PM »
Picture from the banquet

muguru

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute PR...I had a theory today...supposedly this has been known about for awhile, at least before the banquet...Markus had several weeks after the season ended to announce his intentions. I would argue he knew awhile ago he would be back. So using the theory that he also knew that Sam and Joey wouldn't be back, he waited...waited to see if maybe there was a chance they would change their minds, and if they did, maybe he decided then he'd go pro. When they didn't change their minds, he announced it when he did, knowing bad news was coming soon, and this way he looks like the good guy. Not saying that's bad at all. I think it was smart.

Also, Purdue played all year and made an Elite 8 with a more shot dominant Guard than Markus was and one who also had a lower assist rate than did Markus..yet, you never once had any problems from Purdue coming out of the woodwork. Point being, Matt Painter made it work for Purdue, why the hell could Wojo not make it work for MU?? That's the question..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
It always bugged me that they let him go home when the guys were going through workouts here.

Markus also went down to freakin’ Costa Rica to build a basketball court in 100 degree heat to give back, in addition to sitting on that NCAA committee, in addition to likely doing 5times the interview/media requests of his teammates in addition to single handedly putting the Marquette brand front and SportsCenter almost every game day.

Plus, the work he had done in the past with his family training led to pretty good results. I’m sure Wojo weighed everything and felt it was in the team’s interest and Markus’s to let him go.

For Chrissakes, the young man gives, gives, gives to the point of smartly seeking outside therapy to maintain balance and then comes forward with his quest for mental balance in another selfless act to help others, all the while representing MU in just about the manner of a saint, and this is his Thanks?

The Hauser kids are the ones who quit, QUIT on their teammates and coaches. Remember that.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2019, 09:52:21 PM »
Markus also went down to freakin’ Costa Rica to build a basketball court in 100 degree heat to give back, in addition to sitting on that NCAA committee, in addition to likely doing 5times the interview/media requests of his teammates in addition to single handedly putting the Marquette brand front and SportsCenter almost every game day.

Plus, the work he had done in the past with his family training led to pretty good results. I’m sure Wojo weighed everything and felt it was in the team’s interest and Markus’s to let him go.

For Chrissakes, the young man gives, gives, gives to the point of smartly seeking outside therapy to maintain balance and then comes forward with his quest for mental balance in another selfless act to help others, all the while representing MU in just about the manner of a saint, and this is his Thanks?

The Hauser kids are the ones who quit, QUIT on their teammates and coaches. Remember that.

Sir, this is an Arby's.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute PR...I had a theory today...supposedly this has been known about for awhile, at least before the banquet...Markus had several weeks after the season ended to announce his intentions. I would argue he knew awhile ago he would be back. So using the theory that he also knew that Sam and Joey wouldn't be back, he waited...waited to see if maybe there was a chance they would change their minds, and if they did, maybe he decided then he'd go pro. When they didn't change their minds, he announced it when he did, knowing bad news was coming soon, and this way he looks like the good guy. Not saying that's bad at all. I think it was smart.

Also, Purdue played all year and made an Elite 8 with a more shot dominant Guard than Markus was and one who also had a lower assist rate than did Markus..yet, you never once had any problems from Purdue coming out of the woodwork. Point being, Matt Painter made it work for Purdue, why the hell could Wojo not make it work for MU?? That's the question..

How do you know Painter would have made it work if the Hausers were on Purdue or if he was the MU coach?  You don't.

I'm not absolving Wojo of blame but you can't just compare the two situations.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:52 PM »
This was supposed to be a breakfast club letter gif
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2019, 10:16:09 PM »

Scary Guru.  I also thought of a very similar theory. 

Markus realizes the rift with the Hausers is beyond repair.  Markus tells the team he's going pro, thinking at least the Hausers stay and the team will still be strong next year, as Markus moves onto his next chapter in life. 

But when Markus learns the Hausers are going to leave anyway, he changes his mind and returns.  "Dear Marquette, I'm back."  Isn't that unusually short?  It definitely stood out to me in a "Well that's different" sort of way.

But like I said, it's just a theory.