'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why John Dawson should play 25 minutes+  (Read 6619 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Why John Dawson should play 25 minutes+
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »
Had to do it...this one play shows a ton of creativity, talent, skill - hard to coach this kind of thing - either a player has it, or doesn't.  Will never understand why more guys can't seem to execute the jump stop/hop you see here to clear space and get into a good shot...JD could get this shot consistently and it would do wonders for the team...plays like this are why I've been so bullish on him..shows a great feel for game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOc-PfH4IZM
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Why John Dawson should play 25 minutes+
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Had to do it...this one play shows a ton of creativity, talent, skill - hard to coach this kind of thing - either a player has it, or doesn't.  Will never understand why more guys can't seem to execute the jump stop/hop you see here to clear space and get into a good shot...JD could get this shot consistently and it would do wonders for the team...plays like this are why I've been so bullish on him..shows a great feel for game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOc-PfH4IZM
To Ners:
Stop it Ners...just stop.

Signed With Regards,
Buzz Williams
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Gotta pace yourself, Ners - Derrick has another year.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
I'm not on the "Awesome Dawson" bandwagon yet. I think you may be evaluating him compared to Derrick, and colored by many of the other high level point guards we've played against. Not to say he doesn't have potential, but I need to see more production before I jump on.  (Of course if he gets 25+ minutes today...)

brandx

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
So... Ners is jumping on the Dawson bandwagon  :P

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
I'm back on the ignore NER's bandwagon.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
I'm back on the ignore NER's bandwagon.

Sorry it was so offensive to you to upload a video that illustrates the nice talent Dawson has..that has been underutilized all year.

Sensitive much?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
12 is that bad that we have been reduced to clamoring for a PG that isn't just quite ready yet.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Is Dawson's freshman year better than Derrick's?

I think so and it could be better if Dawson gets more minutes, but not many games remain.
SS Marquette

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Is Dawson's freshman year better than Derrick's?

I think so and it could be better if Dawson gets more minutes, but not many games remain.

Sad thing is derricks freshman year was better than his junior year

At least he played the amount he should and couldn't derail a team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TeamOh

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
Sweet move by JD there.  Have a chance to take a lead, turn it over, they go to the line and get 2.

This is seriously a thread asking for more playing time for a person based on one play?  Jesus!  There are some NUTS on this site!  I'll go find Dylan Flood's highlight film from high school and see him hit some big time outside shots.  Does that mean he should get more time on this team?!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
Sweet move by JD there.  Have a chance to take a lead, turn it over, they go to the line and get 2.

This is seriously a thread asking for more playing time for a person based on one play?  Jesus!  There are some NUTS on this site!  I'll go find Dylan Flood's highlight film from high school and see him hit some big time outside shots.  Does that mean he should get more time on this team?!

Yes.   Yes there are.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
If he played 25 mins against this defense he'd have 25 turnovers.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
Sorry it was so offensive to you to upload a video that illustrates the nice talent Dawson has..that has been underutilized all year.

Sensitive much?

Nice potential, not ready yet against any team who can play tight man to man. Today in a minute and a half he's given St John's 5 points.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
Cue NER's with a GIF of Dawson successfully getting the ball past mid-court.    My position hasn't changed.   Dawson is better than I thought he was going to be, he has made great progress, but he is not the best PG on the team, or the one who give MU the best chance to win.   For now.   

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »
Cue NER's with a GIF of Dawson successfully getting the ball past mid-court.    My position hasn't changed.   Dawson is better than I thought he was going to be, he has made great progress, but he is not the best PG on the team, or the one who give MU the best chance to win.   For now.   

Well, let's stick with Derrick who has shown no ability to improve. I would prefer the guy who could at least potentially help on offense and not be a liability. He has a couple of to's today, big deal. What has Derrick done that's been so great today?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
Nm

dddawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
Mistakes and turn overs all around by juniors and seniors as well .....The Diff .... juniors and seniors don't get yanked for theirs!!!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Mistakes and turn overs all around by juniors and seniors as well .....The Diff .... juniors and seniors don't get yanked for theirs!!!

+10000

Longest leash on the team has gone to a guy that has done virtually nothing offensively for the ENTIRE season. 

Shouldn't Derrick get yanked for missing his 2 FT's??  I mean they call them "free" throws...talk about unforced error...coming when game is at complete standstill..

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
+10000

Longest leash on the team has gone to a guy that has done virtually nothing offensively for the ENTIRE season. 

Shouldn't Derrick get yanked for missing his 2 FT's??  I mean they call them "free" throws...talk about unforced error...coming when game is at complete standstill..

When the season is over and Buzz is analyzing the numbers, I would like to hear him defend Derrick's production (or lack of).
SS Marquette

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »

Exactly!! When you play 90 seconds and keep getting a quick hook, how can you get into a rhythm? How about when Derrick misses his ft's, he gets put on the bench for a little while. It's a double standard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
Mistakes and turn overs all around by juniors and seniors as well .....The Diff .... juniors other than Todd Mayo till 8 games ago and looks what's happened with Todd's gameand seniors don't get yanked for theirs!!!

Fixed slightly...Buzz used to do the same thing to Todd all last year, and then up until 8 games ago this season.  I've always argued he had Todd on way too short of leash and was totally not getting his full value/potential due to the short leash.  The last 8 games prove that beyond a shadow of the doubt.  Hope he learns.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
+10000

Burton went 1-4. Not defending either of their poor FT shooting.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
Burton went 1-4. Not defending either of their poor FT shooting.

Think Burton is shooting north of 43% from FT line and scores the ball at a high rate, and steals and blocks shots at a much higher rate than the other player in question.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Does anyone really believe that JD would have had 9 assists and no more TOs if he would have gotten 46 additional minutes? When St Johns plays man to man with their length and quickness the game is simply too fast for John to deal with. The first (only?) thing Buzz (and anyone else with a basketball IQ higher than 10) would do in retrospect today would be take JD's 90 seconds away from him. They were a major contributor to our loss.

feedback