Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why John Dawson should play 25 minutes+  (Read 6652 times)

dddawson

• Walk-On
Re: Why John Dawson should play 25 minutes+
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
If game ready is the issue then play your freshmen in the games where the lead was large and let them gain experience then there's no question ... i do believe that young Dawson has proven when given huge minutes he produces .... Each chance he's been given ...3 for 3 ... i like derrick too busy believe he gets tired like today and still you don't play a capable PG ... not young Dawson s fault

Norm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
Mistakes and turn overs all around by juniors and seniors as well .....The Diff .... juniors and seniors don't get yanked for theirs!!!
+ 100,000,000

I love Buzz, but he has done this throughout his tenure at MU.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
Does anyone really believe that JD would have had 9 assists and no more TOs if he would have gotten 46 additional minutes? When St Johns plays man to man with their length and quickness the game is simply too fast for John to deal with. The first (only?) thing Buzz (and anyone else with a basketball IQ higher than 10) would do in retrospect today would be take JD's 90 seconds away from him. They were a major contributor to our loss.
Give me a break. One series for a guy playing 90 second was NOT a major contributor to today's loss.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Does anyone really believe that JD would have had 9 assists and no more TOs if he would have gotten 46 additional minutes? When St Johns plays man to man with their length and quickness the game is simply too fast for John to deal with. The first (only?) thing Buzz (and anyone else with a basketball IQ higher than 10) would do in retrospect today would be take JD's 90 seconds away from him. They were a major contributor to our loss.

Look...Derrick was plenty shaky against the tight man to man as well...Dawson made a turnover being aggressive going to the basket...got tied up/stripped....happens to Mayo, Jamil, Derrick a few times a game...Dawson made the other turnover passing to Todd on perimeter..defender jumped lane well...Derrick had similar turnover in 1st half.

How do you build a players confidence when he gets yanked after 1 mistake?  How is a guy supposed to play loose?  What I do know, is that Dawson if given 48 minutes would have scored 10+ points if not 15+.....

The first thing anyone with a 10+ Basketball IQ would acknowledge is that it wouldn't get any worse with Dawson at PG and his upside is a lot better and he more than Derrick is the future of the position/program.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
I agree with DDawson in principle, and Buzz did give the frosh lots of run in the cupcake portion of season.   There haven't been any blowouts in league play, however.      Again, I like Dawson.   To me, he has been one of the pleasant surprises of the year.   I think that clearly, his long term upside far exceeds Derrick Wilson.   I simply haven't seen that he gives MU the best chance to win, night in and night out.    Not this season.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
Give me a break. One series for a guy playing 90 second was NOT a major contributor to today's loss.

In a double OT 1 point loss how can you say that a guy who handed the opponents 5 points and made the play that resulted in one of Todd's 5 fouls while doing absolutely nothing even remotely positive wasn't a major contributor to the final outcome?

TeamOh

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
Look...Derrick was plenty shaky against the tight man to man as well...Dawson made a turnover being aggressive going to the basket...got tied up/stripped....happens to Mayo, Jamil, Derrick a few times a game...Dawson made the other turnover passing to Todd on perimeter..defender jumped lane well...Derrick had similar turnover in 1st half.

How do you build a players confidence when he gets yanked after 1 mistake?  How is a guy supposed to play loose?  What I do know, is that Dawson if given 48 minutes would have scored 10+ points if not 15+.....

The first thing anyone with a 10+ Basketball IQ would acknowledge is that it wouldn't get any worse with Dawson at PG and his upside is a lot better and he more than Derrick is the future of the position/program.

Here's the thing, Derrick played 47 minutes and you are pointing every single turnover Derrick had right there.  Dawson played ninety seconds and had those turnovers.  You are absolutely clueless.

brandx

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
Cue NER's with a GIF of Dawson successfully getting the ball past mid-court.    My position hasn't changed.   Dawson is better than I thought he was going to be, he has made great progress, but he is not the best PG on the team, or the one who give MU the best chance to win.   For now.   

I don't know if Dawson will be a good player or not. But I have honestly come to believe that we would be a better team if he led the team in minutes rather than Derrick.

And why do I believe that? Because the PROOF is there that were are not very good with Derrick. I don't think we could be worse without him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »
I think that if Buzz had quit on this season, Dawson would have gotten more minutes.    But that isn't Buzz's nature. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
I hope like heck that we have a PG better than Derrick or Dawson next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
I don't know if Dawson will be a good player or not. But I have honestly come to believe that we would be a better team if he led the team in minutes rather than Derrick.

And why do I believe that? Because the PROOF is there that were are not very good with Derrick. I don't think we could be worse without him.

The total lack of logical thinking in this post scares me. Please tell me you're joking, you mistyped or you didn't go to MU.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »
The total lack of logical thinking in this post scares me. Please tell me you're joking, you mistyped or you didn't go to MU.

What is illogical? So we are a good team this year?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »
Think Burton is shooting north of 43% from FT line and scores the ball at a high rate, and steals and blocks shots at a much higher rate than the other player in question.

That's all true. But that's not the original point you were trying to make. You were saying Derrick should get pulled d/t his poor FT shooting. Deonte had poor FT shooting as well.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

The point is that we were not going to make the tournament and we knew it in January. There was no reason not to try something else. 30+ minutes of Derrick every game is not going to be successful. You know that and I know that. But John has shown that the game is not too big for him. Growing pains - sure. But would his growing pains produce worse results that what Derrick did? Maybe, but I doubt it. I won't go into the stats because you already know what they will show.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
I disagree with the premise that it was known in January that MU wasn't going to make the tourney.    It was known that MU would have to step up, but that is normal under Buzz.     

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
The point is that we were not going to make the tournament and we knew it in January. There was no reason not to try something else. 30+ minutes of Derrick every game is not going to be successful. You know that and I know that. But John has shown that the game is not too big for him. Growing pains - sure. But would his growing pains produce worse results that what Derrick did? Maybe, but I doubt it. I won't go into the stats because you already know what they will show.

This is very different to what you originally posted. I don't totally agree with it (I hadn't given up on the tournament in early January) but at least it's logical if one accepts your premises.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
I agree with DDawson in principle, and Buzz did give the frosh lots of run in the cupcake portion of season.   There haven't been any blowouts in league play, however.      Again, I like Dawson.   To me, he has been one of the pleasant surprises of the year.   I think that clearly, his long term upside far exceeds Derrick Wilson.   I simply haven't seen that he gives MU the best chance to win, night in and night out.    Not this season.   

You may find your answer here:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42467.0
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
I disagree with the premise that it was known in January that MU wasn't going to make the tourney.    It was known that MU would have to step up, but that is normal under Buzz.     
You are right, it was known on December 21, against New Mexco, that this team wasn't going to make the tourney.  How many teams get an at-large bid without a single non-conference quality win?  Sure they could've won the Big East regular season or BET(still can).  But no one who looked at this team objectively thought they would make the tourney after that New Mexico game.  The writing was on the wall for this team after the Ohio State game.  Big changes needed to be made then, they weren't, these are the results.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
Here's the thing, Derrick played 47 minutes and you are pointing every single turnover Derrick had right there.  Dawson played ninety seconds and had those turnovers.  You are absolutely clueless.

LOL - Clueless as acting as if things would get worse with Dawson....but...if you are sincerely interested in getting a clue...visit here:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42467.0

I await your logical and well thought out rebuttal...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

It was evident to anyone with a shred of a basketball IQ that if a major change wasn't made at PG...we weren't going to be very good...and many of us wanted to see the freshman unleashed at that time as they would have been a lot better at this point having gotten all the game experience...and that might have been enough to help us win the BET tourney...and if not...at least they got their feet wet with game speed action, and experience...which you simply cannot replicate in practice.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Derrick sucked last year. It was obvious before the season that if he was our main PG then this team would be bad. It's incredible we won 17 games this year with him leading the team in minutes played.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
In a double OT 1 point loss how can you say that a guy who handed the opponents 5 points and made the play that resulted in one of Todd's 5 fouls while doing absolutely nothing even remotely positive wasn't a major contributor to the final outcome?
Because Dawson sat on the pine for the last 40+ minutes of the game! There are always swings in games. an how about if Mayo was moving toward the ball when Dawson passed it to him in stead of waiting for it to get to him? Maybe the St. John's guy wouldn't have picked it off?

It is just a ridiculous argument to be blaming a guy who play 90 second around the 5 minute mark in the first half as a "major contributor" to why MU lost. How many points did the guys who played 30+ hand to St. John's with their mistakes?