[May 10, 2024, 10:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] John Thompson III named Big East Coach of the Year  (Read 3170 times)

MJS_Says

John Thompson III named Big East Coach of the Year

In something of a surprise, Georgetown's John Thompson III was named Big East Coach of the Year.

Many thought the award would go to Marquette's Buzz Williams.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/197594141.html

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: [MJS Blog] John Thompson III named Big East Coach of the Year
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »

In something of a surprise, Georgetown's John Thompson III was named Big East Coach of the Year.

Well, his team did win the Big East, after all
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Skiwarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
The last time I checked it was a 3 way tie for the big east title and MU and Georgetown split this yr. I guess when u go 28-8 in two yrs tied for the best record with only one other team that means absolutely nothing. If you want to compare what buzz did for MU compared to what Bo did for Bucky, it isn't even close. If any of you read Lindy's or Athlons college periodicals u will know that what they have been saying about uw finishing or predicted as low as 8 is not true. They were preseason ranked 19th to as low as 22nd. MU on the other hand was picked to finish 7th in conference play and out of the top 40 nationally.  I guess they don't realize how good and tough of a program that buzz and his staff run here because we are one of only two teams in Big East history to have double digits victory seasons in their first five yrs of play in the big east. Granted some of those yrs were with that douche Crean, but Buzz is just as good if not better. They have gotten it wrong for two years running now, lets give it to Boeheim who had 5 NBA quality players last yr. and JTIII this yr. I thought these awards are for someone who exemplifies all the qualities of what a coach should be, and Buzz has exceeded all expectations thus far in my book but unfortunately he gets screwed again.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
Affirmative Action.   
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

sarcastro

• Starter
  • Live Comedy. Dead Serious.
    • Coalition Theater
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
Why should Buzz get it?  Marquette is awesome EVERY YEAR!

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
I don't mind JTIII winning, but the logic doesn't make sense.  When you have the POY, you should be a winner.  On the other hand, MU tied for first with one second-team ABE player.  That is COY, my friends. 

All I know is that if you had told me in November that MU would go 14-4 again in the BE, I would have offered you another IPA...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
I don't mind JTIII winning, but the logic doesn't make sense.  When you have the POY, you should be a winner.  On the other hand, MU tied for first with one second-team ABE player.  That is COY, my friends. 

All I know is that if you had told me in November that MU would go 14-4 again in the BE, I would have offered you another IPA...

Also, he lost 2 of the top 3 scorers in the BE from last year and somehow managed to coach up a team to win the league this year (same conference record as last year).

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

And I would have gladly accepted, even though I made no such prediction.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »

Nostalgia win for JT III.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Also, he lost 2 of the top 3 scorers in the BE from last year and somehow managed to coach up a team to win the league this year (same conference record as last year).

Were you aware that Georgetown was coached up from 12-6 last year to 14-4 this year?  And they lost all three of their top 3 scorers (Clark, Thompson & Sims)?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
Were you aware that Georgetown was coached up from 12-6 last year to 14-4 this year?  And they lost all three of their top 3 scorers (Clark, Thompson & Sims)?

Ok, when you're constantly drawing in talent like GU is, you're going to lose your top scorers quite a bit.  See also: Kentucky.  When the talent does well together and meets the high expectations, does that warrant a coach like Cal being in the discussion (and ultimately winning) coach of the year?  Absolutely.  Should JT3 have been in the discussion for COTY in the Big East this year?  Absolutely.  Should the fact that GU has more overall talent than MU yet had the same conference record have been a mitigating factor against JT3?  Absolutely.  I'm not saying JT3 is undeserving - I'm leaving that distinction to Bo in the B1G However Many Teams They Have for finishing tied for fourth - but I am saying that Buzz was more deserving.

BTW -you had a really cool avatar when you first started posting.  I wish you'd go back to the old Equalizer one.

Edit: The Kentucky reference is for last season, not this one. I hope it was obvious given how Kentucky may be lucky to make the tourney this year, but you never know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:33:09 AM by CaptainAwesome »
Relax. Respect the Process.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »
Were you aware that Georgetown was coached up from 12-6 last year to 14-4 this year?  And they lost all three of their top 3 scorers (Clark, Thompson & Sims)?

To be honest, no I didn't realize they lost all three of their top scorers.  But looking at the stats, DJO/Crowder, was a bigger loss than Sims/Clark/Thompson.  GU (last year) was a lot like MU this year.  Balanced scoring and a lot of contributors.  It is easier for a player to step up from that scenario, than it is from a DJO/Crowder scenario where they were the offense.

But good point as to the similarities, another reason why Buzz and JT III are both excellent choices for COY

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »
Both JTIII an Buzz had great years. I imagine the one game suspension did not help Buzz's cause no matter how trivial it was. If the situation was reverse, everyone on this board would use a suspension as prime example why the other coach should not win.  Buzz will have every opportunity to win this award in the future.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
Both JTIII an Buzz had great years. I imagine the one game suspension did not help Buzz's cause no matter how trivial it was. If the situation was reverse, everyone on this board would use a suspension as prime example why the other coach should not win.  Buzz will have every opportunity to win this award in the future.

LW strikes again.(settle down, it's a joke)

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
Does the win over UCONN count as a win for Buzz or the assistant?  Just curious.

kchoya

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Ok, when you're constantly drawing in talent like GU is, you're going to lose your top scorers quite a bit.  See also: Kentucky.  When the talent does well together and meets the high expectations, does that warrant a coach like Cal being in the discussion (and ultimately winning) coach of the year?  Absolutely.  Should JT3 have been in the discussion for COTY in the Big East this year?  Absolutely.  Should the fact that GU has more overall talent than MU yet had the same conference record have been a mitigating factor against JT3?  Absolutely.  I'm not saying JT3 is undeserving - I'm leaving that distinction to Bo in the B1G However Many Teams They Have for finishing tied for fourth - but I am saying that Buzz was more deserving.

Ok, this constant "woe is me" attitude about how Marquette pulls in one and two star recruits while Georgetown's roster is chock full of top-ranked HS recruits is getting a bit old, not to mention it's inaccurate.

The Hoyas have no one who played in the McDonald's game. None of their players were ranked in the top-30. This isn't Kentucky or Duke or UNC or UCLA that we're talking about.

Didn't Marquette just pull in a top-10 recruiting class? I fail to see a reference to that in your post.

JT3 did a hell of a job this year dealing with significant off-season losses and a huge in-season loss (Whittington was the 33rd ranked PF, BTW). Plus he did it with no seniors on the roster and only two juniors. He didn't have tons of upperclassmen like Blue, Cadougan, Gardner, Otule and Wilson.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Ok, this constant "woe is me" attitude about how Marquette pulls in one and two star recruits while Georgetown's roster is chock full of top-ranked HS recruits is getting a bit old, not to mention it's inaccurate.

The Hoyas have no one who played in the McDonald's game. None of their players were ranked in the top-30. This isn't Kentucky or Duke or UNC or UCLA that we're talking about.

Didn't Marquette just pull in a top-10 recruiting class? I fail to see a reference to that in your post.

JT3 did a hell of a job this year dealing with significant off-season losses and a huge in-season loss (Whittington was the 33rd ranked PF, BTW). Plus he did it with no seniors on the roster and only two juniors. He didn't have tons of upperclassmen like Blue, Cadougan, Gardner, Otule and Wilson.

I really don't think anyone is saying JTIII wasn't deserving in his own right of the award, but I am puzzled as why you would expect to come to the Marquette message board and expect a fair and biased opinion of the Marquette basketball coach. Of course we are going to think Buzz was more deserving.

Yes, we do have a top 10 recruiting class for next season, but unfortunately for us none of those players were able to play in the Big East this year.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:05:38 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

Well, why would you expect to see a reference to NEXT year's incoming class in a discussion of this year's team? How is it remotely relevant?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »
Well, why would you expect to see a reference to NEXT year's incoming class in a discussion of this year's team? How is it remotely relevant?

It's not. But let's not let that stop him.

Expectations will now be going up for Buzz, plain and simple, as he gets better and better classes.
Relax. Respect the Process.

kchoya

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
It's not. But let's not let that stop him.

Expectations will now be going up for Buzz, plain and simple, as he gets better and better classes.

It's relevant to the general discussion that Marquette is some woebegone basketball also-ran that can't pull in top recruits. Plus, I didn't search to see what sort of recruits (rankings wise) that MU was pulling in during previous seasons. However, I imagine it's relatively close to what Georgetown pulls in.

I just find it amusing that Marquette fans are putting down their own program and players while over-inflating the talent level of other schools -- all in an effort to make an argument that Buzz was robbed.

Of course, all of this conflicts with the posters on here that claim JT3 shouldn't get COY because he has Otto Porter and a bunch of stiff, and a coach "riding" one stud player shouldn't get COY.

Which is it? Does Georgetown have superior talent or is it Otto and the Miracles?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

Yeah, you are imagining.  It's completely absurd
that the suspension had ANY bearing on the decision.
C'mon. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
Does the win over UCONN count as a win for Buzz or the assistant?  Just curious.

It is Buzz' win for the record

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
It's relevant to the general discussion that Marquette is some woebegone basketball also-ran that can't pull in top recruits. Plus, I didn't search to see what sort of recruits (rankings wise) that MU was pulling in during previous seasons. However, I imagine it's relatively close to what Georgetown pulls in.

I just find it amusing that Marquette fans are putting down their own program and players while over-inflating the talent level of other schools -- all in an effort to make an argument that Buzz was robbed.

Of course, all of this conflicts with the posters on here that claim JT3 shouldn't get COY because he has Otto Porter and a bunch of stiff, and a coach "riding" one stud player shouldn't get COY.

Which is it? Does Georgetown have superior talent or is it Otto and the Miracles?

KC - Used to have a place in Brookside. Bigger question: Gates, Bryant's, Smokestack?

Death on call

kchoya

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
KC - Used to have a place in Brookside. Bigger question: Gates, Bryant's, Smokestack?

Oklahoma Joes.  ;D

But I like the sauce at Gates best (I actually just ordered a couple of bottles last week).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

Oklahoma Joes.  ;D

But I like the sauce at Gates best (I actually just ordered a couple of bottles last week).

I have heard people mention OK Joes. It is after my time. Used to go to Smokestack down at the River Bottoms. Place had flood mark lines on the walls.

There was a place called the Bristol down at the Plaza. Is that still there?

Death on call

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »

BTW -you had a really cool avatar when you first started posting.  I wish you'd go back to the old Equalizer one.

Edit: The Kentucky reference is for last season, not this one. I hope it was obvious given how Kentucky may be lucky to make the tourney this year, but you never know.

I'm not sure the "more talent" argument holds, either.  Using RSCI data for each coach's standard rotation:

Georgetown
Porter: 34th
Smith-Rivera: 37th
Lubick: 42nd
Starks: 94th
Hopkins: 98th

Whittington: Unranked
Trawick: Unranked
Ayegba: Unranked
Marquette
Wilson - 40th
Cadougan - 47th
Blue - 48th
Anderson - 80th
Taylor - 82nd

Gardner - Unranked
Mayo - Unranked
Otule - Unranked
Lockett - Unranked
Wison - Unranked

I mean, that seems pretty close. 

I don't know you can make a big deal that Porter ranked six places ahead of Jamil Wilson or Anderson ranked 12 places ahead of Starks.   Overall, talent levels appear pretty close--in fact one could argue that Buzz had a deeper roster.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I'm not sure the "more talent" argument holds, either.  Using RSCI data for each coach's standard rotation:

Georgetown
Porter: 34th
Smith-Rivera: 37th
Lubick: 42nd
Starks: 94th
Hopkins: 98th

Whittington: Unranked
Trawick: Unranked
Ayegba: Unranked
Marquette
Wilson - 40th
Cadougan - 47th
Blue - 48th
Anderson - 80th
Taylor - 82nd

Gardner - Unranked
Mayo - Unranked
Otule - Unranked
Lockett - Unranked
Wison - Unranked

I mean, that seems pretty close. 

I don't know you can make a big deal that Porter ranked six places ahead of Jamil Wilson or Anderson ranked 12 places ahead of Starks.   Overall, talent levels appear pretty close--in fact one could argue that Buzz had a deeper roster.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not let facts get in the way of a good story here.  Everyone who didn't vote Buzz as COY clearly has an anti-Marquette bias and it's not fair.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »

Thank you for saying that...you are correct

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
Thank you for saying that...you are correct

Correct. Too many Marquette people love to wallow in self pity. Fact is, since Buzz took over, we have been getting consistently superior recruiting classes. This fall is simply the best of 5 superior years.

What I appreciate is that Buzz not only gets recognized Top 100 talent but even his unranked and JUCOs turn out to be extremely pleasant surprises. 

Death on call