Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] John Thompson III named Big East Coach of the Year  (Read 3176 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] John Thompson III named Big East Coach of the Year
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
Ok, when you're constantly drawing in talent like GU is, you're going to lose your top scorers quite a bit.  See also: Kentucky.  When the talent does well together and meets the high expectations, does that warrant a coach like Cal being in the discussion (and ultimately winning) coach of the year?  Absolutely.  Should JT3 have been in the discussion for COTY in the Big East this year?  Absolutely.  Should the fact that GU has more overall talent than MU yet had the same conference record have been a mitigating factor against JT3?  Absolutely.  I'm not saying JT3 is undeserving - I'm leaving that distinction to Bo in the B1G However Many Teams They Have for finishing tied for fourth - but I am saying that Buzz was more deserving.

BTW -you had a really cool avatar when you first started posting.  I wish you'd go back to the old Equalizer one.

Edit: The Kentucky reference is for last season, not this one. I hope it was obvious given how Kentucky may be lucky to make the tourney this year, but you never know.

I'm not sure the "more talent" argument holds, either.  Using RSCI data for each coach's standard rotation:

Georgetown
Porter: 34th
Smith-Rivera: 37th
Lubick: 42nd
Starks: 94th
Hopkins: 98th

Whittington: Unranked
Trawick: Unranked
Ayegba: Unranked
Marquette
Wilson - 40th
Cadougan - 47th
Blue - 48th
Anderson - 80th
Taylor - 82nd

Gardner - Unranked
Mayo - Unranked
Otule - Unranked
Lockett - Unranked
Wison - Unranked

I mean, that seems pretty close. 

I don't know you can make a big deal that Porter ranked six places ahead of Jamil Wilson or Anderson ranked 12 places ahead of Starks.   Overall, talent levels appear pretty close--in fact one could argue that Buzz had a deeper roster.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I'm not sure the "more talent" argument holds, either.  Using RSCI data for each coach's standard rotation:

Georgetown
Porter: 34th
Smith-Rivera: 37th
Lubick: 42nd
Starks: 94th
Hopkins: 98th

Whittington: Unranked
Trawick: Unranked
Ayegba: Unranked
Marquette
Wilson - 40th
Cadougan - 47th
Blue - 48th
Anderson - 80th
Taylor - 82nd

Gardner - Unranked
Mayo - Unranked
Otule - Unranked
Lockett - Unranked
Wison - Unranked

I mean, that seems pretty close. 

I don't know you can make a big deal that Porter ranked six places ahead of Jamil Wilson or Anderson ranked 12 places ahead of Starks.   Overall, talent levels appear pretty close--in fact one could argue that Buzz had a deeper roster.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not let facts get in the way of a good story here.  Everyone who didn't vote Buzz as COY clearly has an anti-Marquette bias and it's not fair.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »
Ok, this constant "woe is me" attitude about how Marquette pulls in one and two star recruits while Georgetown's roster is chock full of top-ranked HS recruits is getting a bit old, not to mention it's inaccurate.

Thank you for saying that...you are correct

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
Thank you for saying that...you are correct

Correct. Too many Marquette people love to wallow in self pity. Fact is, since Buzz took over, we have been getting consistently superior recruiting classes. This fall is simply the best of 5 superior years.

What I appreciate is that Buzz not only gets recognized Top 100 talent but even his unranked and JUCOs turn out to be extremely pleasant surprises. 

Death on call