Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?  (Read 32826 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Has anyone heard anything about upcoming interviews?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »
Why not Depaul. He's a Chicago guy, no? Especially if they can outbid us.

As a Chicago guy, he probably knows all the reasons why Marquette is a more attractive gig.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

Because we are a better program in many different ways.  And they won't outbid us.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
I usually check out the board of high major opponents before we play them to see their perspective. Loyola's board actually is better than the vast majority of boards I've seen.

http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Whoa!
http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3103&start=170#p38828
Ben and Marques both on Twitter advocating for Loyola to go to the Big East (or A10) to keep Porter. Love those guys, but also hope that Loyola not moving to a bigger conference isnt the nail in the coffin for PM. Those are hard things to manage, especially with DePaul in the way

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »

As mentioned we simply are the better program and should outbid them.

And the fact he flat out turned down advancing through the process with Minny tells me he has something clearly better in mind, which at this point would be us.

I got no insider knowledge but it just feels like with the way the whole process has went we are his top choice and hes one of ours
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2021, 03:44:09 PM »
Whoa!
http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3103&start=170#p38828

Would Depaul object if they replaced Marquette. Just think about it. A program on the rise replacing a program in decline creating a great inner city rivalry. The Big East would jump at the chance to add another team from one of its largest TV markets and with Gates as Depaul's new coach the excitement in Chicago would be enormous.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »
Would the Big East want two teams from the same city in the conference?

I know Seton Hall isn't in New York but I mean come on, they're like the same distance to St Johns as DePaul's loop campus to Loyola's Rogers Park campus.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
As mentioned we simply are the better program and should outbid them.

And the fact he flat out turned down advancing through the process with Minny tells me he has something clearly better in mind, which at this point would be us.

I got no insider knowledge but it just feels like with the way the whole process has went we are his top choice and hes one of ours

I would feel better if FSU was knocked out and Hamilton announced he was coming back.

My tinfoil hat is Hamilton told Gates he’s retiring so hold off on other jobs. But then he wouldn’t need Goodman leaking his name.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:32 PM »
I would feel better if FSU was knocked out and Hamilton announced he was coming back.

My tinfoil hat is Hamilton told Gates he’s retiring so hold off on other jobs. But then he wouldn’t need Goodman leaking his name.

Didn't Hamilton just recently sign an extension??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
Would Depaul object if they replaced Marquette. Just think about it. A program on the rise replacing a program in decline creating a great inner city rivalry. The Big East would jump at the chance to add another team from one of its largest TV markets and with Gates as Depaul's new coach the excitement in Chicago would be enormous.

1. I'd guess 95 percent of Chicago sports fans have never heard of Dennis Gates, and won't be overcome with excitement by the hiring of some guy from Cleveland State.
2. Whatever tiny gains Loyola would bring would be easily outweighed by the losses of having to share another slice of the revenue pie with a new member.
3. Fox and the Big East likely aren't eager to add another program, but if they did, it would be to bring in a new market (St. Louis, Dayton) not just double down on an existing one.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »
Didn't Hamilton just recently sign an extension??

Looks like he signed a 5 year extension 3 weeks ago. Please excuse my paranoia and return to your discussion.

Thanks for pointing out!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:58 PM »

Because even he knows it's DePaul.

burger

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »
Because even he knows it's DePaul.

Because he is a Chicago guy from the Majerus tree and he knows how utterly incompetent DePaul has been for 30 years.....

That is a huge issue.....

He turned down St. Johns last year because of the NYC location and their long time scaring of the program.....(at almost double the $$)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »
1. I'd guess 95 percent of Chicago sports fans have never heard of Dennis Gates, and won't be overcome with excitement by the hiring of some guy from Cleveland State.
2. Whatever tiny gains Loyola would bring would be easily outweighed by the losses of having to share another slice of the revenue pie with a new member.
3. Fox and the Big East likely aren't eager to add another program, but if they did, it would be to bring in a new market (St. Louis, Dayton) not just double down on an existing one.

The Big East wouldn't be adding a member just replacing an up and coming program with a dynamic coach with one in decline in a marginal TV market.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
I posted this in another one of the five dozen threads on the topic, but here's what I said yesterday about Dennis Gates.  Any of Porter Moser, Shaka Smart, or Dennis Gates I'd be thrilled with, but my Gates interest has increased considerably.

The more you read and hear about Dennis Gates, the harder it is to not be impressed by the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNOVmOCu8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyF7wDPlZVE

https://theundefeated.com/features/dennis-gates-bet-on-himself-and-brought-cleveland-state-back-to-the-ncaa-tournament/

First two are brief videos about his time at Florida State, the third is a recent Undefeated article about his time at Cleveland State.

Telling that Jonathan Isaac, CJ Walker, and other stars at Florida State mention that he's the main reason they committed to FSU: he was "the big brother they didn't have".  Leonard Hamilton said he's the most well-prepared coach he's ever worked with.  I get that these things are meant to be puff pieces, but you listen to the guy and it's hard to argue with it.  His guys genuinely love him, he was one of the heads of the Leadership Committee at Florida State, and he's shown he has legit head coaching chops.  That and the fact he has Chicago/Whitney Young roots, played at Cal so has West Coast ties, and thrived at Florida State so has Southeast ties, it's no surprise he has such a sterling reputation as a dynamite recruiter.

I have had pause on Gates because it seems like quasi-Wojo 2.0 with slightly more experience: a long-time assistant under a phenomenal coach who is regarded as an incredible recruiter.  And I have always preferred Beilein (sounds like that's not happening) or Shaka.  But the more I learn about Dennis Gates the more and more excited I'd be if he got the job here.  Certainly not as flashy as Shaka, who I think I still want as a Plan A, but I think Gates could be an incredible hire for Marquette if that's the route they go.

Whether it's at Marquette, or at the next high major spot he'd end up at, I don't see a scenario where Dennis Gates isn't a really successful head coach.  I'm a huge fan.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2021, 04:08:41 PM »

Fox and the Big East wouldn't really be faulted for thinking that Loyola will bring a new market given that DePaul brings nothing.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2021, 04:12:19 PM »
The Big East wouldn't be adding a member just replacing an up and coming program with a dynamic coach with one in decline in a marginal TV market.

Gotcha.
The Big East is going to kick out a founding member with a storied basketball history, state-of-the-art 19,000-seat arena and rabid fanbase so they can add a second team which draws about 3,330 fans per game, gets little media attention in its home town when it's not on a tourney run, and plays in an existing market.
Makes perfect sense, now that I think about it.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2021, 04:13:34 PM »
And it's already been responded to in a better way than I would've said, but for the "what if he leaves to take Leonard Hamilton's job?" crowd: I had those exact fears about Wojo and Duke, and 7 years and mountains of disappointment later he's gone to unemployment.

If Dennis Gates is so successful here that Leonard Hamilton wants him to be his heir apparent, then we made a terrific hire.  I don't immediately assume he'd jump ship to go back to FSU if he's built something special at Marquette, since his Chicago roots and ties to this area are such a huge part of his life.

If Porter Moser wants to interview at Marquette and Shaka Smart wants to interview at Marquette, with genuine interest and not a leverage play (Moser), then by all means wait for them.  But if that costs us a guy like Dennis Gates, who then goes to a DePaul, that would be a bummer.  Because I think he is going to be a star.

DienerTime34

• All American

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »
Gotcha.
The Big East is going to kick out a founding member with a storied basketball history, state-of-the-art 19,000-seat arena and rabid fanbase so they can add a second team which draws about 3,330 fans per game, gets little media attention in its home town when it's not on a tourney run, and plays in an existing market.

Not sure I would describe DePaul’s fan base as “rabid”. They seem close to non-existent. Not too many people care about DePaul in Chicago. It was great back in the Mark Aguirre days, but that was a long, long time ago

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2021, 04:19:20 PM »
When you compare Gates’s resume to Moser’s it’s not even close.  Gates only has a two year track record.  That said if it’s Gates I’d support him, but he’s a big gamble.

Absolutely a big gamble, but he gives the appearance of having a high upside.

I think TAMU described him best as "high risk, high reward."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2021, 04:21:08 PM »
Not sure I would describe DePaul’s fan base as “rabid”. They seem close to non-existent. Not too many people care about DePaul in Chicago. It was great back in the Mark Aguirre days, but that was a long, long time ago

I think he’s talking about MU.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »
If reports are to be believed Kenny Payne is the front runner for Depaul. 

Indiana is going for a big name with Moser possibly in the mix.

I don't know who or what options Gates has that is a step up other than us at the moment.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2021, 04:24:29 PM »
Gotcha.

Wow! I really got you guys going. Did I really need the teal.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
And it's already been responded to in a better way than I would've said, but for the "what if he leaves to take Leonard Hamilton's job?" crowd: I had those exact fears about Wojo and Duke, and 7 years and mountains of disappointment later he's gone to unemployment.

If Dennis Gates is so successful here that Leonard Hamilton wants him to be his heir apparent, then we made a terrific hire.  I don't immediately assume he'd jump ship to go back to FSU if he's built something special at Marquette, since his Chicago roots and ties to this area are such a huge part of his life.

If Porter Moser wants to interview at Marquette and Shaka Smart wants to interview at Marquette, with genuine interest and not a leverage play (Moser), then by all means wait for them.  But if that costs us a guy like Dennis Gates, who then goes to a DePaul, that would be a bummer.  Because I think he is going to be a star.

This
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback