[Today at 10:35:30 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Avenue Commons
[Today at 10:20:33 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41390 times)

warriorfred

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »
I dunno if you are/were a buzz guy, but I'd say wojo has about the same track record with high school kids as he did.

Not a Buzz guy, but I cannot deny his success.  I am more of KO guy, 5 years, Sweet 16, win over Kentucky, and a talent pipeline . . .

I'm not seeing it with Wojo, which is disappointing.  I wanted him to succeed.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »
The more I read, the more this feels like Tim and Jeronne Mammon.
Agree.
One kid, that kid wants a change and can believe a new system will further their development. Both, someone is in their ear.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
Not a Buzz guy, but I cannot deny his success.  I am more of KO guy, 5 years, Sweet 16, win over Kentucky, and a talent pipeline . . .

I'm not seeing it with Wojo, which is disappointing.  I wanted him to succeed.

Ok.

I thought we were comparing their ability to develop high school talent

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
Ok.

I thought we were comparing their ability to develop high school talent

Buzz did not demonstrate the ability to develop high school recruit, but JUCOs are another matter.  Wojo has not shown the ability to develop high school talent and get them to the next level.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »
Buzz did not demonstrate the ability to develop high school recruit, but JUCOs are another matter.  Wojo has not shown the ability to develop high school talent and get them to the next level.

Agreed.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2019, 09:27:27 PM »
Sam Hauser has a legit NBA chance?  That's news to me.

You are correct - I love them both and very sorry they are.leaving, but they are not in the top 200 prospects for the NBA if you look through the master at nbadraft.net.

However, in Value Add by the end of the year I had Sam close to Markus in overall value - but I believe with Markus not having to bring it up the court he won't wear down next year and he was a true all American until the last couple of weeks.

Let's face it, Joey was a terrible turnover machine and huge drag on the team the last 2 months. He shouldn't have been on the court.

If Chartouney replaced Markus as starting PG last year this team would not have gone .500.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:06 PM »
Why can’t the questions begin with the players?

Why is it Wojos fault immediately?

Did Henry thrive with the Pistons?
Not wojos fault Joey couldn’t hold onto the ball in crunch time.

As of now Jamal Cain has stuck it out being reduced in his role
Matt Heldt was praised all year
Markus wanted to come back for a senior year

Spot on! Joey was awful the last several weeks. Him getting postered by Ja Morant was just bad luck, but it summed up him handing the ball to opponents game after game.

The only game I fault Markus for is the last shot against Seton Hall when he was 1.of 15 and didn't pass to an open Sam.

Only thing I fault Wojo for is not benching Joey with 2 better options behind him the last several weeks, but of course he couldn't do that or it would have been the reason for the transelfee.

I honestly believe this team would have gone 14-17 with Joseph playing pg is Markus was not her.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2019, 10:02:35 PM »
Who knows if it could be top 5.

But Purdue was a miracle away from a final four and Carsen Edwards chucks even more than Markus and his supporting players were Cline(far less talented all around player than Sam), a starter that legit walked on and a 7 foot 125 lb center.

It can work. Purdue’s players bought in.

Agreed. The official ncaa.com stat is that 40% of players transfer either there freshman sophomore year - sometimes I honestly think our complainers don't follow the other 352 teams but instead are living in the last century when every coach didn't live in fear of ever offending a player knowing they could transfer.

The good news is I am now reassured Markus does not read the scoop - because if I had "fans" saying the team would have done better without me as an All-American I'd shake my head and walk off.

Get a clue - you would have watched a 14-17 season if Joseph we're playing pg instead of Markus this year.

Yes, I'm very sad Sam is gone. If you'd told me this in early January I'd say you are crazy, but I wish Joey had transferred with 6 weeks left in the season because Bailey and Cain were both better than him.

If you want to know why Markus didn't throw the ball to Joey more often it was because Joey typically threw soft, perfect bounce passes to the other team once he had the ball.

As I've said before, I'm convinced all the people who lived around me in Auburn 2 years ago and lectured us in how Pearl had to be fired for starting 44-54 in his first three years are now in hiding posting here as MU fans.

Thanks for the great 3 years Sam, and would have loved to see a 4th, and hope you can find your little bro a good setting to forget his miserable last 2 months for Marquette and have a great future.

cloudpiercer

• Walk-On
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
I don't see how it could be anything else.

It's personal.  They hate Wojo and Markus messed with the wrong girlfriend.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
Agreed. The official ncaa.com stat is that 40% of players transfer either there freshman sophomore year - sometimes I honestly think our complainers don't follow the other 352 teams but instead are living in the last century when every coach didn't live in fear of ever offending a player knowing they could transfer.

The good news is I am now reassured Markus does not read the scoop - because if I had "fans" saying the team would have done better without me as an All-American I'd shake my head and walk off.

Get a clue - you would have watched a 14-17 season if Joseph we're playing pg instead of Markus this year.

Yes, I'm very sad Sam is gone. If you'd told me this in early January I'd say you are crazy, but I wish Joey had transferred with 6 weeks left in the season because Bailey and Cain were both better than him.

If you want to know why Markus didn't throw the ball to Joey more often it was because Joey typically threw soft, perfect bounce passes to the other team once he had the ball.

As I've said before, I'm convinced all the people who lived around me in Auburn 2 years ago and lectured us in how Pearl had to be fired for starting 44-54 in his first three years are now in hiding posting here as MU fans.

Thanks for the great 3 years Sam, and would have loved to see a 4th, and hope you can find your little bro a good setting to forget his miserable last 2 months for Marquette and have a great future.

Most logical thing I've read all day.  Sam took one for the Hauser team.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Agreed.

Both clueless.

Markus was rivals 73rd best prospect in his class, which would project him outside the top 200 players from among 4 classes playing college ball at a time.

All-American voters picked him as either a top 5 or top 10 talent. I calculate him as top 10 until he wore down the last couple of weeks when he wore down.

A.coach who gets a player from outside the top 200 to top 10 can develop talent.

Watching Bailey go from really bad to quite good within a season is quite good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
We lost 2 of our top 4 players. That sucks, and we all know why it happened.

That's funny. I think I've seen 48+ theories at this point. If we all know why, why are there so many?

I think many are seeing what they want to see. My guess is that there is no smoking gun. No one reason. There rarely is in these situations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »

Well this is sure something.

Hated wojo so much that Sam played here 3 years and got his brother to come here too?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Most logical thing I've read all day.  Sam took one for the Hauser team.

Wrong brother.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:15 PM »

So, Markus is JFB and Sam is KAT.
Yeah that sounds about right.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2019, 11:20:43 PM »
Next man up and all that, this is a ridiculous blow for MU for next year. To me, Sam has been the player MU could least afforded to have lost over the last two seasons, and now he's gone from a top 5/top 10 team with gigantic hopes for next year. I was ready for Joey to make the leap like Sam did going from frosh to soph. Can't be overstated, this is a massive, massive blow to MU.

Serious questions need to be asked.

-WTF happened? Three of the biggest recruits that Woj landed have left on bad terms. Henry was going pro no matter what, but I don't think the Ellenson's are sending Christmas cards to Woj.

-The body language police certainly noticed something looked wrong at points during the BE season, from Joey "hitting the wall" to Sam not looking happy or as interested at points. What was going on behind the scenes?

-The disaster that was the end of season, is what was going on behind the scenes explain what happened?

-How does Woj recover from this? We joke on here that "this will help recruiting", but this will be a significant strike against Woj on the recruiting trail. Losing two of your core players going into a season as a projected top ten team? That doesn't just happen, something smells really rotten here.

No matter how it's spun, this is a brutal day for MU basketball.

First, your whole post is spin - which seems to be partly based on your psychic readings of what players were thinking.

So you are upset we didn't get to watch Wally play another year? That was a blow? Are you just a big track fan?

Since 40% of all players now transfer out by their sophomore year, can you please go post on about 340 or the other 352 teams fan sites about the massive blows their programs have faced in recent years?

One of the only teams that wasn't deal a massive blow by your criteria is Nevada who most - including me - thought was a national contender when everyone stays last year and it just didn't pan out.

There has been talk from people who cover the sport for a living that every coach is now scared to even correct players for fear they will transfer. Your "disaster" for the program is only par in modern basketball. Probably why Wojo didn't get Joey off the court when he hit the wall with Bailey as most improved player and Cain and great option.

Losing Markus would have been a disaster. One I didn't think would happen, but glad it didn't.

Playing a whole season without a point guard can certainly lead to over used players hitting the wall. It seemed obvious to me that Markus going down on his wrist at the end of February coupled with needing to bring the ball all the way down the court wore him down. With Elliott and McEwen dealing with the draining part.of getting the ball over half court and perhaps a.few.minutes more rest each game I believe Markus will be the All-American he was in until that point for a whole year.

Hate.to see Sam go. Mu was the rare team with 2 players I calculated were in the top 30 in the country and sometimes a truly great player like him wants to be the go-to guy on a team and as for Joey, sometimes a player with potential who plays poorly needs a.change in scenery.

Not quite clear what new coach would be worth another disasterous transition -;we tried for Bennet and he wasn't interested, and loved buzz but he didn't think he could win there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:17 PM »
First, your whole post is spin - which seems to be partly based on your psychic readings of what players were thinking.

So you are upset we didn't get to watch Wally play another year? That was a blow? Are you just a big track fan?

Since 40% of all players now transfer out by their sophomore year, can you please go post on about 340 or the other 352 teams fan sites about the massive blows their programs have faced in recent years?

One of the only teams that wasn't deal a massive blow by your criteria is Nevada who most - including me - thought was a national contender when everyone stays last year and it just didn't pan out.

There has been talk from people who cover the sport for a living that every coach is now scared to even correct players for fear they will transfer. Your "disaster" for the program is only par in modern basketball. Probably why Wojo didn't get Joey off the court when he hit the wall with Bailey as most improved player and Cain and great option.

Losing Markus would have been a disaster. One I didn't think would happen, but glad it didn't.

Playing a whole season without a point guard can certainly lead to over used players hitting the wall. It seemed obvious to me that Markus going down on his wrist at the end of February coupled with needing to bring the ball all the way down the court wore him down. With Elliott and McEwen dealing with the draining part.of getting the ball over half court and perhaps a.few.minutes more rest each game I believe Markus will be the All-American he was in until that point for a whole year.

Hate.to see Sam go. Mu was the rare team with 2 players I calculated were in the top 30 in the country and sometimes a truly great player like him wants to be the go-to guy on a team and as for Joey, sometimes a player with potential who plays poorly needs a.change in scenery.

Not quite clear what new coach would be worth another disasterous transition -;we tried for Bennet and he wasn't interested, and loved buzz but he didn't think he could win there.

Umm...cool?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »

What’s our team value add without Markus? Without the Hausers?  All three are huge losses and drops MU back into mediocrity. The rest of your post is just smoke until Wojo regroups. These next couple of weeks are make or break.

cloudpiercer

• Walk-On
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:20 AM »
Well this is sure something
Hated wojo so much that Sam played here 3 years and got his brother to come here too?

Things changed.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2019, 02:14:51 AM »
If my hypothesis is right, what should Wojo have done?     Featured Joey?     Featured Sam?    Promised that Joey would again play at least 29 mpg?     In all seriousness, what if the cause of all of this is that Wojo told Joey that he was not going to be featured and would be competing for minutes and a starting position?    Is it Wojo's fault then?     And if so, how?    If this stems from Joey not being featured and Markus returning, please explain what Wojo should have done or what you would have done or said if you were the coach.

Now those are some tough questions.    What if it all boils down to a young man wanting to be featured  (Odartey Blankston, Jeronne Maymon) and being told it wasn't going to happen the next year?     That the BEPOY and second team all American was still going to be the alpha?     And, oh, by the way,  Bailey plays better defense than you.

Jaysus Tower, the heart and soul of a top 10 team transfers out and you’re still making excuses for Wojo. Give it a rest.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:29:50 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2019, 03:42:41 AM »

By looking at your face it looks like Wojo had some corn on the cob for dinner...

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 06:21:09 AM »
Anybody else starting to have worries about Scholls ability? Last 4 years of men’s program, then Kreiger leaving, now this

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2019, 06:25:12 AM »
Anybody else starting to have worries about Scholls ability? Last 4 years of men’s program, then Kreiger leaving, now this

Who's this Krieger person everyone keeps going on about?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
Who's this Krieger person everyone keeps going on about?

Ali? The USWNT player? Didn’t know she had an MU connection

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »

Scholl’s been just fine. Let’s see what happens over the next 12 months.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback