collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Force Awakens *Possible Spoilers*  (Read 18347 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: The Force Awakens *Possible Spoilers*
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Just saw Hateful Eight.

I won't give any spoilers. All I'll say is that, like Inglorious Basterds, it was better and funnier than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Violent and filled with vulgarity and n-word usage ... so not for the kiddies!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
Just saw Hateful Eight.

I won't give any spoilers. All I'll say is that, like Inglorious Basterds, it was better and funnier than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Violent and filled with vulgarity and n-word usage ... so not for the kiddies!!!

I saw it on Christmas.

I liked it, didn't love it. Not Quentin's strongest, but still good. Too long, no doubt.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
Violent and filled with vulgarity and n-word usage ...

A Tarantino movie that's violent and filled with vulgarity and n-word usage?!!  Unthinkable!  I guess he wanted to try something new.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »
A Tarantino movie that's violent and filled with vulgarity and n-word usage?!!  Unthinkable!  I guess he wanted to try something new.

Ha!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
I saw it on Christmas.

I liked it, didn't love it. Not Quentin's strongest, but still good. Too long, no doubt.

I saw the little bit shorter version, I guess. I never once looked at my watch or wondered when it would end.

I agree it wasn't his strongest, but I nonetheless enjoyed it. I think a big part of it was that I went in with fairly low expectations and it easily exceeded them. Another part was that the audience was really good -- laughed and grimaced at all the right parts.

Hey ... I have a question: Was there a cat in the movie? I stuck around to watch the credits and there was a credit for not one but TWO cat trainers. And neither I nor anybody around me could remember seeing a freakin' cat!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:18:55 PM by MU82 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
I saw the little bit shorter version, I guess. I never once looked at my watch or wondered when it would end.

I agree it wasn't his strongest, but I nonetheless enjoyed it. I think a big part of it was that I went in with fairly low expectations and it easily exceeded them. Another part was that the audience was really good -- laughed and grimaced at all the right parts.

Hey ... I have a question: Was that a cat in the movie? I stuck around to watch the credits and there was a credit for not one but TWO cat trainers. And neither I nor anybody around me could remember seeing a freakin' cat!

Yes. In the before screen. I was wondering what happened to the cat, that's why I remembered.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
Yes. In the before screen. I was wondering what happened to the cat, that's why I remembered.

Thanks. Explains a lot.

OK, I've threadjacked this enough with talk about Tarrantino. Force-Heads can return to the regularly scheduled program.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »
Try this theory.... Rey is Luke's daughter.   When Kylo Ren brought in the knights of Ren and turned on Luke, his wife (Rey's mother) was killed.   Luke knew of the Max Van Sydow character and took Rey there to keep her safe while he went into seclusion.   He gave MVS the final piece of the map to give to Rey when she was old enough.    MVS wasn't much of a surrogate parent and somehow lost track of Rey.   Explains Rey's vision.   Explains how MVS got the map.   Explains how Kylo went into a rage when he learned 'a girl' was involved.  (he knew of Rey earlier, knew she was his young cousin, knew she didn't die)

Is Finn descended from a force family?    Mace Windu?     Taken from a family he never knew.   Kylo Ren was somehow aware of his decision to not shoot.   A stirring of the force?

Mace Windu??!?

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
Seriously, I'm so late to this party that I won't even comment. Thanks to all for sharing some interesting thoughts.

I was hoping that the final battle would be a First Order - Rebellion basketball game.
Clearly, the rebellion would use Admiral Akbar to break the press, so that when he was surrounded at half-court, he could say, "It's a trap!"
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
Try this theory.... Rey is Luke's daughter.   When Kylo Ren brought in the knights of Ren and turned on Luke, his wife (Rey's mother) was killed.   Luke knew of the Max Van Sydow character and took Rey there to keep her safe while he went into seclusion.   He gave MVS the final piece of the map to give to Rey when she was old enough.    MVS wasn't much of a surrogate parent and somehow lost track of Rey.   Explains Rey's vision.   Explains how MVS got the map.   Explains how Kylo went into a rage when he learned 'a girl' was involved.  (he knew of Rey earlier, knew she was his young cousin, knew she didn't die)

Is Finn descended from a force family?    Mace Windu?     Taken from a family he never knew.   Kylo Ren was somehow aware of his decision to not shoot.   A stirring of the force?

And Luke is at his wife's (and Rey's mom's) gravesite at the end of the movie.

I'm on this train.
*Wooohoooo Woooohoooo*
SS Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
It's obvious that Rey is so strong with the Force with no training because she is the child of Luke and Leia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
I like this theory that she is Obi Wan's granddaughter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

I read that theory after seeing the Force Awakens twice.

What if Luke found out about Obi's hidden family and then ended up marrying Obi Wan's daughter leading to Rey which explains why the Force is so strong in her?  (Parents are Skywalkers & Kenobi's.)

When Ben Solo went to the dark side Luke's wife was killed in his transition to Kylo causing Luke to loose it and to just leave and go find the long lost Jedi Temple.  In the process Rey got left on Jakku, in similar fashion and place to Luke being on Tatooine.

Plenty of internet theories on who is Snoke.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
I read that theory after seeing the Force Awakens twice.

What if Luke found out about Obi's hidden family and then ended up marrying Obi Wan's daughter leading to Rey which explains why the Force is so strong in her?  (Parents are Skywalkers & Kenobi's.)

When Ben Solo went to the dark side Luke's wife was killed in his transition to Kylo causing Luke to loose it and to just leave and go find the long lost Jedi Temple.  In the process Rey got left on Jakku, in similar fashion and place to Luke being on Tatooine.

Plenty of internet theories on who is Snoke.

Why does the mom need to be a Kenobi? So everyone in the jedi order was flaunting the rules and having secret families (Anakin, Obi wan, Windu(cause Finn must be his kid))?

I just don't buy it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
Why does the mom need to be a Kenobi? So everyone in the jedi order was flaunting the rules and having secret families (Anakin, Obi wan, Windu(cause Finn must be his kid))?

I just don't buy it.

The Rey theory makes sense in that it's Ben's voice we hear in her vision. That and Abrams saying they specifically left her last name out because it would mean something. I'd much rather everyone not be family, but I definitely think Rey will be related to someone, just not 100% sure if she will end up part Kenobi, Skywalker, or Jinn (or a combination of those).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »
The Rey theory makes sense in that it's Ben's voice we hear in her vision. That and Abrams saying they specifically left her last name out because it would mean something. I'd much rather everyone not be family, but I definitely think Rey will be related to someone, just not 100% sure if she will end up part Kenobi, Skywalker, or Jinn (or a combination of those).

I get it but Skywalker makes the most sense and the least contortion to get there. Introducing a secret family for someone is completely out of left field and not necessary. She's gotta be a Skywalker in my opinion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »

Can't be Jinn.  If she was Qui Gon's family, someone would have really paid when she got captured, I mean, that guy has some skills.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:22 PM »
Can't be Jinn.  If she was Qui Gon's family, someone would have really paid when she got captured, I mean, that guy has some skills.   

A particular set of skills?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
It's obvious that Rey is so strong with the Force with no training because she is the child of Luke and Leia.

Ewwwwww....
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
Just saw Hateful Eight.

I saw it on New Year's Eve....felt it was pretty long.  It was good and our family have been close to the Russell \ Franco family for many years (since I was 5).  I wasn't going to see it due to Tarantino's recent comments, but supporting Kurt made me change my mind.

I'd rate it middle of the pack for Tarantino's flicks.  Definitely not for the kiddies.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »
I saw it on New Year's Eve....felt it was pretty long.  It was good and our family have been close to the Russell \ Franco family for many years (since I was 5).  I wasn't going to see it due to Tarantino's recent comments, but supporting Kurt made me change my mind.

I'd rate it middle of the pack for Tarantino's flicks.  Definitely not for the kiddies.

Since your brought it up and I've been thinking about it:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Ingourious Basterds
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Kill Bill
5. Jackie Brown
6. Django
7. Hateful Eight
8. Death Proof

5-7 are pretty much a toss-up. I'd like to see Hateful Eight again before I really set it there though.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »
Since your brought it up and I've been thinking about it:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Ingourious Basterds
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Kill Bill
5. Jackie Brown
6. Django
7. Hateful Eight
8. Death Proof

5-7 are pretty much a toss-up. I'd like to see Hateful Eight again before I really set it there though.

I will always give Tarantino a look because I loved the first 2 on your list (among my all time favorites by anybody - the scene in the French farmhouse at the beginning of Inglourious Basterds may be my favorite scene ever filmed).  But I detested your numbers 4, 6, & 8.  Based on where you put this one, I probably won't like Hateful 8, but I'll go see it.  Great cast, if nothing else.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Unpopular opinion alert: I'd rather watch Episode 1 on endless loop than watch a Tarantino film....what am I missing?

Also wasn't that vampires in Mexico movie with Clooney, Cheech, and Salma Hayek a Tarantino movie? Is it that bad that it doesn't even get ranked?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2016, 08:20:27 AM »
Unpopular opinion alert: I'd rather watch Episode 1 on endless loop than watch a Tarantino film....what am I missing?

Also wasn't that vampires in Mexico movie with Clooney, Cheech, and Salma Hayek a Tarantino movie? Is it that bad that it doesn't even get ranked?

That was From Dusk Til Dawn. He wrote it, Rodriguez directed it. Similar to Natural Born Killers, True Romance, he wrote the script, but didn't direct.

Tarantino's best talent is the writing, and that's largely the appeal I have. It's great dialogue, violence, humor and wit that you don't get anywhere else. He always has references and callbacks. Pop culture references, historical movie genre references, cool stuff for movie nerds. The callbacks are always great, Red Apple Cigarettes, Big Kahuna, Fruit Brute, Teriyaki Dount, Jack Rabbit Slims,  the trunk POV shots, the long cuts, the dance scenes, Mexican standoffs, Vega Brothers, Donowitz's, etc...

Then you have the music, which is always fantastic and seemingly perfect for the scene. Mix that together with the stunning visual styling and you're appealing to the senses.

I dunno, I just like em.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:35:57 AM by PTM »