[Today at 01:13:53 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops / SJU  (Read 39759 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Oops / SJU
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »
I'm glad a loss is funny to you...My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

My day sucked because I worked from 8 til now. But alright. 
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2019, 02:07:05 AM »
I'm glad a loss is funny to you...My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

Even the players in the actual game generally have a midnight rule. I'm upset after losses and they've ruined my dinner or made a drink taste bad but after midnight it's a new day and it's on to the next game
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
Even the players in the actual game generally have a midnight rule.

Clearly, they don't care enough.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »
Clearly, they don't care enough.
Not sure about college athletes, but I think fans care more than players at the professional level.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
Let me clear up some obvious misconception...first of all, losses do NOT effect me to the extent that I would kill myself or cause harm in anyway. Second of all..perhaps the biggest misconception here is that I think I'm a bigger fan than anyone else..That is simply NOT true. (Though I would argue just based on posts on this board I AM much more competitive than a vast majority here). I am just incredibly passionate about MU hoops, anyone close to me understands that, and that's the way I have always been. I just find it a little baffling that if ANYONE has ever played sports at any level from HS on, that even now in their later years and even as a fan that they could just "lose" that competitive gene. I have always had it..I absolutely ABHOR losing...I don't care if it's MU basketball or anything else in life. Show me a former athlete that isn't uber competitive even long after he has stopped playing. If you can, I would simply say then that winning or losing wasn't all that important to them.

So because of my competitive nature, I will ALWAYS take losing harder then some. Especially with MU basketball. I will not apologize to anyone for it being such a high priority for me, I'm in a position where it can be, where I don't have to miss games for other things etc. I understand that most of you aren't in that position, and that's okay too.

I'm happy with my life where it currently is, and anyone that knows me will  tell any of you I am a great guy..I'd do anything for anyone, and have in the past. I'm not some crazed lunatic some of you seem to think that I am. I take offense to those that think I handle "losing" wrong, or that I should "seek help". That's as condescending as anything I have ever heard. Leave me alone and let me do my thing..It's not hurting anyone or anything..as I said in a previous post...show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser. I would tell those that if losing doesn't bother them..then don't have favorite teams etc. Losing at ANYTHING should bother EVERYONE. We all show it in different ways, but I just get the impression from some here that they really don't care if MU wins or loses. How can you be a fan of any team like that??

P.S. I have forgotten more about basketball then most here will ever know, which means..I have been around long enough, and I'm guessing, I am at least double the age of the average age'd user here. So for those of you "youngins" with your holier than thou attitudes, have some damn respect for your elders!!

I don't like being told what should or should NOT be important to me..What's important to you is great! That however does NOT mean different things can't be important to me...Marquette basketball is INCREDIBLY important to me...What the hell is wrong with that, if I am not "sacrificing" anything or putting other things aside because of it??
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:09:21 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2019, 08:05:22 AM »
Wait, what? MU82 might kill his wife and guru, great guy and all, will give me his tickets to Nova?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
guru, my friend, you aren't double my age because that would make you one of the oldest humans alive. So let's start there. Second, I'm glad to hear you believe your mental health is good, that you're not a lunatic, you don't get suicidal after a basketball game, etc. Also happy to hear you are an altruistic gentleman who would give others the shirt off your ancient back.

As to whether you "have forgotten more about basketball then most here will ever know" ... well, it's ironic that you call others condescending in the same post where you make this unproveable, Ners-level claim.

Finally, we get to this: perhaps the biggest misconception here is that I think I'm a bigger fan than anyone else..That is simply NOT true.

Many of us arrive at this by statements like those you made in this very thread, such as ...

Unfortunately, most of you wake up today and just carry on with that "oh well" attitude.

... and ...

My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

If you don't read those as, "I'm a better fan than you. I care about the Warriors more than you do. Why do the rest of you losers even bother rooting for them if you aren't gonna feel miserable after a loss?" I guess it simply means you haven't forgotten more about using the English language than most here will ever know.

Carry on, my friend, and try to enjoy what has been an entertaining, successful season.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
guru, my friend, you aren't double my age because that would make you one of the oldest humans alive. So let's start there. Second, I'm glad to hear you believe your mental health is good, that you're not a lunatic, you don't get suicidal after a basketball game, etc. Also happy to hear you are an altruistic gentleman who would give others the shirt off your ancient back.

As to whether you "have forgotten more about basketball then most here will ever know" ... well, it's ironic that you call others condescending in the same post where you make this unproveable, Ners-level claim.

Finally, we get to this: perhaps the biggest misconception here is that I think I'm a bigger fan than anyone else..That is simply NOT true.

Many of us arrive at this by statements like those you made in this very thread, such as ...

Unfortunately, most of you wake up today and just carry on with that "oh well" attitude.

... and ...

My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

If you don't read those as, "I'm a better fan than you. I care about the Warriors more than you do. Why do the rest of you losers even bother rooting for them if you aren't gonna feel miserable after a loss?" I guess it simply means you haven't forgotten more about using the English language than most here will ever know.

Carry on, my friend, and try to enjoy what has been an entertaining, successful season.

I etited to add, that I do believe I am simply more competitive than most here, just based on posts. Although, if we are going to judge "best fan" by how much MU apparel they have...I am 99% certain there that I have EVERYONE here beat on that. It's a disgusting amount really.  ;D

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
You be you, guru.   Be happy, brood, be you.   I just ask one thing.    Remember that, aside from a couple of obvious trolls, nobody would be on this site if they weren't already a committed MU fan.    Everyone wants Marquette to be great in basketball.    Some just manage their emotions differently after a loss.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
I etited to add, that I do believe I am simply more competitive than most here, just based on posts.

Another claim that is impossible to either prove or disprove.  If you measure competitiveness by kicking and screaming on an anonymous message board then sure, you're more "competitive".  You could also say that means that you really lack any composure whatsoever.

Although, if we are going to judge "best fan" by how much MU apparel they have...I am 99% certain there that I have EVERYONE here beat on that. It's a disgusting amount really.  ;D

Weird flex but okay.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2019, 08:31:24 AM »
Another claim that is impossible to either prove or disprove.  If you measure competitiveness by kicking and screaming on an anonymous message board then sure, you're more "competitive".  You could also say that means that you really lack any composure whatsoever.

Weird flex but okay.

According to the most recent rankings I am the 11th best Marquette fan.  However, should we lose Saturday, I have a glorious hissy fit planned that will move me into the top 10.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
According to the most recent rankings I am the 11th best Marquette fan.  However, should we lose Saturday, I have a glorious hissy fit planned that will move me into the top 10.

This is awesome!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
I etited to add, that I do believe I am simply more competitive than most here, just based on posts. Although, if we are going to judge "best fan" by how much MU apparel they have...I am 99% certain there that I have EVERYONE here beat on that. It's a disgusting amount really.  ;D

5 years ago I would've taken you on in this argument but before I moved to ireland I got rid of something like 20-25 MU shirts, a few jackets, socks, hats, sweat bands, and workout gear.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
I've asked this before, but how does rooting for a particular team make you, or anyone, competitive?  Unless you are the coach, a player, or one of the administrators, YOU aren't competing anymore than you'd be competing by picking a turtle in the race at the local fair.  You have absolutely no impact on the outcome, no matter how hard you take a loss, so in what way are you competing?

Looking down on people because they don't freak out like you do after a loss, or even a few bad sequences, and then justifying your behavior by claiming it's because you are so competitive doesn't even make sense.  You've chosen to pin yourself with a badge of honor in order to convince yourself that your reaction is somehow a positive attribute while disparaging those that realize it is a game in which they have absolutely no control over the outcome.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »
I had a brother in law (passed away in August, 2017), an MU undergrad and law school grad, who used to say if the Packers lost and the Bears won on the same weekend, that the rest of the week sucked.  But he didn't carry it over into his everyday thoughts after saying it.......even though what he said is true.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »

I like the sense of humor in your clothing statement, guru.

But again, as others have said, the fact that you throw things, scream, pout and let yourself be miserable for days after a loss doesn't make you more "competitive" than anybody else, either. It again is you trying to claim superiority on something that can't be proven. The fact that you take to a fan site to rip or mock others who aren't as over-the-top angry as you, that's just kinda sad.

But sure, maybe you are only one glorious hissy fit from joining Irwin in the top 10!

Keep on keepin' on, my friend. Perspective is highly overrated.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
I don’t understand the “I’m more competitive than you” thing at all as it relates to being a sports fan.

Watching MU games isn’t engaging in competition. You’re not on the team, you have no control over the outcome. You’re watching others compete.

There is a distinct difference between having an emotional investment in the outcome of a sporting event as a fan and engaging in competition.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »
5 years ago I would've taken you on in this argument but before I moved to ireland I got rid of something like 20-25 MU shirts, a few jackets, socks, hats, sweat bands, and workout gear.

Really...20-25, last time I emptied out the MU gear locker(who else has one of those, Mr. Competitive?) I got rid of 26-31 MU shirts, many not few jackets and literally a metric ton of other gear. When I had my appendix removed I had "Warriors" laser etched on my pancreas.

I am 250 years old been and MU hoops fan for 250+ and have forgotten more while writing this post than of you will EVER know about basketball

I am such a competitive fan(is there really such a thing?) that if we lose to VU I will make myself spontaneously combust!

Anybody???......Yeah, that's what I thought. I will sit here the rest of the day stewing in my competitive juices....

By the way, you all are collectively the best....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
Really...20-25, last time I emptied out the MU gear locker(who else has one of those, Mr. Competitive?) I got rid of 26-31 MU shirts, many not few jackets and literally a metric ton of other gear. When I had my appendix removed I had "Warriors" laser etched on my pancreas.

I am 250 years old been and MU hoops fan for 250+ and have forgotten more while writing this post than of you will EVER know about basketball

I am such a competitive fan(is there really such a thing?) that if we lose to VU I will make myself spontaneously combust!

Anybody???......Yeah, that's what I thought. I will sit here the rest of the day stewing in my competitive juices....

I honestly assumed this was a real guru post until I accidentally glanced at the poster name after I finished reading.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »

Yeah but did Father Marquette come down from on high, in full MU regalia, and bless you on your baptism?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
I've asked this before, but how does rooting for a particular team make you, or anyone, competitive?  Unless you are the coach, a player, or one of the administrators, YOU aren't competing anymore than you'd be competing by picking a turtle in the race at the local fair.  You have absolutely no impact on the outcome, no matter how hard you take a loss, so in what way are you competing?

Looking down on people because they don't freak out like you do after a loss, or even a few bad sequences, and then justifying your behavior by claiming it's because you are so competitive doesn't even make sense.  You've chosen to pin yourself with a badge of honor in order to convince yourself that your reaction is somehow a positive attribute while disparaging those that realize it is a game in which they have absolutely no control over the outcome.

You(I) compete against badger fans...That's who I compete against. I absolutely LOATHE them, and want to stick it up their asses every single day. the better MU is, the more they HATE it, the more glorious it is. I want another National Championship not only because of how much I would be in the happiest place in the world, but because every single Badger fan would be absolutely MISERABLE and that my friend, is how I "compete".

muguru

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »
Wait, what? MU82 might kill his wife and guru, great guy and all, will give me his tickets to Nova?

If I had extras, I most certainly would...I do this for the Badger game every year they play at home.  :)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
I had a brother in law (passed away in August, 2017), an MU undergrad and law school grad, who used to say if the Packers lost and the Bears won on the same weekend, that the rest of the week sucked.  But he didn't carry it over into his everyday thoughts after saying it.......even though what he said is true.

This 1000% this...for example, you think MU losing to SJU made me salty?? I am even now more so because UW beat Minnesota last night. had they lost, that admittedly would have HELPED ease the sting from the SJU loss...It's a COMPETITION folks. If MU loses Saturday to Nova and UW goes into Michigan and wins...Well..no one would want to be around me...however, should MU lose to Nova and UW lose to Michigan...I won't like it, but it will sting just a bit less. If MU wins, and UW loses...I'm elated for weeks.  :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »
I absolutely LOATHE them, and want to stick it up their asses every single day.

whatever tickles your pickle just get consent
Maigh Eo for Sam

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
Yeah but did Father Marquette come down from on high, in full MU regalia, and bless you on your baptism?

Pere, as I like to call him, administered all 12 sacraments to me.....Like I said.....