'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oops / SJU  (Read 39710 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: Oops / SJU
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Yes, Joey is going to be great long term. Bad match up last night. Minutes might be wearing on him a bit. He is the youngest player on the team too, so he has to get used to the college grind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
You're right...and they should leave EVERYONE salty...Unfortunately, most of you wake up today and just carry on with that "oh well" attitude.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Hide the gun. Hide the rope. Hide the pills. Guru ain’t havin this loss business!!
No Finish Line

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »
I think we're in for another rough one on Saturday as Nova plays a lot like the Johnnies and perhaps just as athletic. Hope we have an answer... like hitting our open shots.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
Can't play so poorly for an entire half -- giving up 40 points and shooting around 30% -- THEN let your opponent run the lead up to 15 before finally getting serious about the game.

Yes, Marquette has come back from similar deficits this season. Yes, there will be nights that the shooting just isn't there. But the defense wasn't there, either. The team hurt its chances to win right out of the gate. And you can't count on a big comeback every time.

Great teams don't just play 15 minutes of good basketball. Gotta do a lot better against Nova.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »

hitting our open shots

This. So much this.

If we had simply done that at anything close to our normal rate, we would have won by 15. We didn't need to shoot lights out or hit highly contested shots, just the stuff we normally hit.

Sometimes shooters just have off nights. The rest of the game analysis is just noise.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
I think we're in for another rough one on Saturday as Nova plays a lot like the Johnnies and perhaps just as athletic. Hope we have an answer... like hitting our open shots.

I don't think comparing St. John's and Villanova is correct. VERY different teams.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
I don't think comparing St. John's and Villanova is correct. VERY different teams.

Yeah. They both play small at times but Nova plays with a true big in DCR about 50% of the time. Nova is capable of shooting the lights out but they aren't very good defensively. Nova plays VERY slow. 340th in offensive possession length. SJU is 17th.

I think we match up pretty well with Nova this year and expect a win Saturday.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
muwarrior69

I think we are in for a tough one as well. IMO, aside from SJU, MU has had a nice run against average to slightly above average teams and that run ends on Saturday. If they shoot well, they can win, if they don't shoot well, it might be a double digit defeat.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
gotta have at least two of our guys splashing threes to beat nova. 

Im a little worried that we now have at least two "hack a shaq" players on the floor that basically turn the ball over. 

No excuses for sacar at the line,  he should be doing nothing but shooting free throws in practice, at least theo has finish flush potential at the rim, the missed layups / finishes by sacar are becoming the standard. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
So were you that cat in 225 that audibly called our guys "F*CKING CLOWNS" after the buzzer last night?
Absolutely NOT...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Hide the gun. Hide the rope. Hide the pills. Guru ain’t havin this loss business!!

I'm glad a loss is funny to you...My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
I'm glad a loss is funny to you...My day has literally sucked today because of that loss last night...it will suck for the next couple as well..how many others can say the same??

Let me guess, the last acceptable season by any school was Indiana in 1976?  Every other school has been massive disappointments every season since then.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »

Are you saying that’s a good thing?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
Oh you thought I was laughing about the loss? Nah man, I’m laughing at you
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Oh you thought I was laughing about the loss? Nah man, I’m laughing at you

Right...you are laughing at me because of how hard I take losses...which says all that needs to be said..It implies they don't matter much to you.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Right...you are laughing at me because of how hard I take losses...which says all that needs to be said..It implies they don't matter much to you.
I’ve seen my kids handle adversity better. And they’re all under 10
No Finish Line

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Agreed we can win Saturday if we shoot well but one of those players shooting well has to be Joey.  He is the difference,in my opinion, of this team being truly elite offensively.   If we want to beat teams like Villanova, have a chance at winning the Bigeast regular season or tournament and make a sweet sixteen run THIS year he needs to get over the “wall” quickly.   No one else on this team has the ability to accelerate our progress to elite status more than him.  We all know next year will be great.  This year being great depends on him performing better than should be expected of a freshman.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
I haven't read any Scoop since the loss...I am in pout mode. I hate losing. I hate losing to St. Johns.

hopefully its a sunny day on Saturday.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »

Guru, I truly hope that someday you are able to evaluate your self worth by something other than Marquette wins and losses.

If you ever need to talk, holla at me in PM, honestly.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
LOL.  "I'm emotionally immature, how many of you can proudly say the same??"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
Now now,   I think everyone should lay off Guru.  I get what he is trying to say.  I personally used to scream at the tv, and make an ass of myself when MU would do anything other then score points.  Turnovers, missing free throws, etc...

I really think I was taking it to an unhealthy level.   I still probably do when we play uw-madison.

I guess as I age I try to keep things in perspective. not being home for a family members birthday, or something like that now tears me up a lot more then MU basketball.  And I still care as much as I used to Guru, I guess with age, Id like to think I understand life is short and precious.

It’s not healthy to get so bent out of shape over an MU loss.  I hope you find a better way to cope with the losses then I was.  If venting on here is your way of escape, please keep it up.  We’re all brothers and sisters on here

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
Now now,   I think everyone should lay off Guru.  I get what he is trying to say.  I personally used to scream at the tv, and make an ass of myself when MU would do anything other then score points.  Turnovers, missing free throws, etc...

I really think I was taking it to an unhealthy level.   I still probably do when we play uw-madison.

I guess as I age I try to keep things in perspective. not being home for a family members birthday, or something like that now tears me up a lot more then MU basketball.  And I still care as much as I used to Guru, I guess with age, Id like to think I understand life is short and precious.

It’s not healthy to get so bent out of shape over an MU loss.  I hope you find a better way to cope with the losses then I was.  If venting on here is your way of escape, please keep it up.  We’re all brothers and sisters on here

I agree with everything you say here, pilot, even the part about it being OK for guru to vent here.

The only part that I and some others object to is guru's repeated suggestions that his agonizing over every MU mistake, every miss, every change of possession and especially every loss somehow makes him more of a fan than the rest of us. He is not.

It would be like me responding to an argument with my wife by killing her. While on trial, I'd say, "Yeah, I killed her. That's because I loved my wife more than any other man loves his wife. If the rest of you are OK with your wife arguing with you, that's up to you. But I'm not OK with it, and I took care of it the way I did."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »

Seek help, dude.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »
Seek help, dude.

I agree, there is something wrong if a loss in sports affects someone negatively for days. How is one’s life that empty of anything else that could cause joy? It’s sad if you think about. Hang in there Guru

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Oops
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2019, 09:25:07 PM »
Eh....I went back and looked at that 3 point foul. Anim got him on the body. I think that's closer to a 50/50 call then 95% don't call it. Absolutely agree on the continuation.

While the refs did us no favors in the final 3 minutes, I would say overall we got more calls than SJU. We don't get back in the game without some of the help we got from the stripes.

For sure. Wasn’t saying that we got screwed by the refs last night. I thought we played pretty awful for the majority of the game. But I do think that Joey was pretty clearly fouled on his attempted rebound after Markus’ failed hero ball attempt.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback