[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lebron to Miami  (Read 17707 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Lebron to Miami
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
The dream trio scenario in Miami would end up being good for Marquette.  If they win 4 or 5 rings, James and Wade both get into the "greatest ever" conversations.  Wade will always have one more than James, so Wade would end up winning that argument in all likelihood.  Then, Marquette will have produced a player in the conversations with Jordan, Bryant, and Magic.

Which, is a reason for Lebron to take D-Rose as his sidekick guard.  Rose is younger, still improving, and will not put an asterisk on James' legacy. 

Also, I agree that Joe Johnson and Bosh are not max players.  I think if they come with James, though, you just pay it.  You know you are overpaying, but live with it because you are getting James. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Cleveland has also basically said that they will not sign and trade James away.  Toronto and Atlanta are more than willing to do so with Bosh and Johnson.  If I am Chicago or Miami, I don't know how I even feel about a sign and trade with Deng or Beasley to bring in those guys.  First of all, it is an upgrade, but not that much, especially for Chicago.  Is it really worth maxing out the cap for those guys when you already have reasonable alternatives at a cheaper price.  Second of all, that would mean Bosh or Johnson would make more than James.  

A sign and trade involving Deng or Beasley might be the only way to get two all-stars added to these teams, but takes away both teams' 6th man and scorer off the bench on a stacked team.  Those guys would be the Toni Kukoc coming and and scoring on the opponent's second team.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:51:11 AM by HoopsMalone »

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
The dream trio scenario in Miami would end up being good for Marquette.  If they win 4 or 5 rings, James and Wade both get into the "greatest ever" conversations.  Wade will always have one more than James, so Wade would end up winning that argument in all likelihood.  Then, Marquette will have produced a player in the conversations with Jordan, Bryant, and Magic.

Which, is a reason for Lebron to take D-Rose as his sidekick guard.  Rose is younger, still improving, and will not put an asterisk on James' legacy. 

Also, I agree that Joe Johnson and Bosh are not max players.  I think if they come with James, though, you just pay it.  You know you are overpaying, but live with it because you are getting James. 

I'm not sure that the "legacy" thing matters as much to LeBron as it did with, say, Kobe who ran Shaq out of town to try and win one as 'the man'.  If LeBron teams up with Wade and it works, and they dominate the East for the next 5 years, are there really going to be asterisks next to either of their names?  That whole argument is a little over-inflated... when was the last time you heard Magic's career knocked because he won all his championships with Kareem?  We make it a big deal, because the last best player in the league, Kobe, made it a big deal. 

But I do tend to agree... if he goes to Chicago, he steps onto the court immediately as 'the man' on that team.  If he goes to Miami, he presumably does so with Wade, a guy who has already carried that team to a championship.  LeBron wouldn't be second-fiddle, but I just get the feeling that Wade has so much accumulated star-power in Miami that LeBron, all that he is, couldn't just step in and take over that team.  And he's not used to being anything less than THE guy. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
I'm not sure that the "legacy" thing matters as much to LeBron as it did with, say, Kobe who ran Shaq out of town to try and win one as 'the man'.  If LeBron teams up with Wade and it works, and they dominate the East for the next 5 years, are there really going to be asterisks next to either of their names?  That whole argument is a little over-inflated... when was the last time you heard Magic's career knocked because he won all his championships with Kareem?  We make it a big deal, because the last best player in the league, Kobe, made it a big deal. 

But I do tend to agree... if he goes to Chicago, he steps onto the court immediately as 'the man' on that team.  If he goes to Miami, he presumably does so with Wade, a guy who has already carried that team to a championship.  LeBron wouldn't be second-fiddle, but I just get the feeling that Wade has so much accumulated star-power in Miami that LeBron, all that he is, couldn't just step in and take over that team.  And he's not used to being anything less than THE guy. 

Lebron would be second fiddle to Wade.  This is not me just being a homer but a Miami Wade/James/Bosh team... who is shooting the last shot?  Wade... Wade is clutch.  Jordan shot the last shot, Kobe shots the last shot, and Wade would shoot the last shot.  And Wade already owns the town. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

I was saying it more as a good thing for Marquette.  Lebron and Wade would get into the convo for best ever with 2-4 rings in Miami and Wade would win the tie thanks to winning one without James.  Then, Marquette would have produced one of the best players ever.

But though Lebron is less concerned about his legacy than Kobe is for sure, I am sure Lebron does care.  Kobe is kind of the extreme competitor who wants to conquer Magic and Michael's legacy.  Just because Lebron does not share Kobe's attitude does not mean he does not care.  When all the pundits are saying Wade is the man, it will bother Lebron.  

Also, the Laker frontline will destroy the Bosh-led Miami frontline.  As will Orlando's frontline.  Miami won't be able to get a strong defensive front line.  They can get some midlevel guys or a veterans minimum or undrafted guys, but will it ever be enough to stop Gasol and Bynum?  Bosh and James might need Joakim Noah (or someone like him) to win a title.  Chicago is the best spot.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
agree. without a solid big man  LBJ,Wade and Bosh could not handle Gasol & Bynum

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
Bynum is as overrated as they come.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
To think that Bosh and James need Joakim Noah to succeed is beyond ridiculous. IF Bosh, James, and Wade are on the same team next year, regardless of what city it is in, that team dominates. You LITERALLY need nothing from a center other than to CONTAIN (not even stop, just hold to like 15 points and 8 rebounds) the better centers in the league and grab 7 or so rebounds a game. He could score 0 ppg. Literally. Kurt Thomas could get that job done. With those 3 on 1 team they get 75 ppg, 25 rpg, and 18 apg, just from those 3! They don't need an unbelievable pg either. Look at the Lakers. I have all the resect in the world for Derrick Fisher, but he is nowhere near even a top 15 point guard in the NBA. They're doing alright for themselves. If those 3 go to 1 team that team needs about 5 players who between them can average 25 ppg, 12 rpg, and 12 apg and they win multiple championships. There aren't many NBA players who CANNOT average 5 ppg and either 3 rpg or 3 apg if given the chance to play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »
I was saying it more as a good thing for Marquette.  Lebron and Wade would get into the convo for best ever with 2-4 rings in Miami and Wade would win the tie thanks to winning one without James.  Then, Marquette would have produced one of the best players ever.

But though Lebron is less concerned about his legacy than Kobe is for sure, I am sure Lebron does care.  Kobe is kind of the extreme competitor who wants to conquer Magic and Michael's legacy.  Just because Lebron does not share Kobe's attitude does not mean he does not care.  When all the pundits are saying Wade is the man, it will bother Lebron.  

Also, the Laker frontline will destroy the Bosh-led Miami frontline.  As will Orlando's frontline.  Miami won't be able to get a strong defensive front line.  They can get some midlevel guys or a veterans minimum or undrafted guys, but will it ever be enough to stop Gasol and Bynum?  Bosh and James might need Joakim Noah (or someone like him) to win a title.  Chicago is the best spot.

I think I conflated 'legacy' with being 'the man.'  If LeBron wins a bunch of championships in Miami, I doubt he cares what people say about his legacy.  The thing that could bother him in Miami is stepping onto someone else's team, which we agree on.

I seriously doubt Joakim Noah can handle the Laker's or Magic frontline either. Therefore, I don't think that Noah is the magic piece that makes a Bulls team with LeBron better than a Heat team with LeBron, Wade, AND Bosh.   I'm sorry if that wasn't what you were suggesting, but it starts to sound like blatant homer-ism.  

agree. without a solid big man  LBJ,Wade and Bosh could not handle Gasol & Bynum

What do you guys mean by "handle?"  The Celtics "handled" the Lakers frontline for 6 games while they had Perkins... and they DIDN'T have 2 of the 3 best players in the NBA on their team, plus another all-star.  Suggesting that that Heat team would be impotent against the Lakers because of Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum is ludicrous.  

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »
Kurt Thomas could get that job done.

Udonis Haslem could get that job done.  Shaq's dead body could get that done. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »
To think that Bosh and James need Joakim Noah to succeed is beyond ridiculous. IF Bosh, James, and Wade are on the same team next year, regardless of what city it is in, that team dominates. You LITERALLY need nothing from a center other than to CONTAIN (not even stop, just hold to like 15 points and 8 rebounds) the better centers in the league and grab 7 or so rebounds a game. He could score 0 ppg. Literally. Kurt Thomas could get that job done. With those 3 on 1 team they get 75 ppg, 25 rpg, and 18 apg, just from those 3! They don't need an unbelievable pg either. Look at the Lakers. I have all the resect in the world for Derrick Fisher, but he is nowhere near even a top 15 point guard in the NBA. They're doing alright for themselves. If those 3 go to 1 team that team needs about 5 players who between them can average 25 ppg, 12 rpg, and 12 apg and they win multiple championships. There aren't many NBA players who CANNOT average 5 ppg and either 3 rpg or 3 apg if given the chance to play.

You win a lot regular season games with just those three players, but you don't win championships.  Maybe they can find good players to play with them, but front lines of Gasol/Bynum or even Noah/Boozer would have career series against Bosh/undraft free-agent.  Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis would do well too.  Bosh is not a good defender and needs a good defensive player to hide that.  He will easily get into foul trouble too leaving a weak frontline.

It's a great core, but does not have the defense to win multiple titles, in my opinion.  

And on a Marquette board do we really think you can win post season basketball games consistently without big guys who can get stops?  We above all people should know that.  Maybe Haslem or Shaq or Kurt Thomas can be the Dwight Burke of the Heat.  Those three will win games, but they will not play championship defense.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
what difference does it make if you have defensive hacks when three of the best offensive players in the game are flying up and down the floor? with those three, a coach would have to be legally incompetent to allow a game against a gasol or howard-led front line to slow down enough to become a trudging, halfcourt battle.  it just wouldnt happen. bynum, howard, boozer, etc wouldnt be able to keep up with the tempo of play or score enough points to keep up. 
what does noah do that bosh can't hang with?  at the very VERY least those guys at cancel if they matchup.  bosh scores more on noah than the other way around, its not like bosh's D is so bad that noah suddenly turns into wilt chamberlain. boozer couldnt keep up enough to see the court in the olympics, let alone against three of the best offensive players on the planet, so you let him get his 15 and 10 when thins occasionally break down, and you still win by 20.
sure gasol is a major matchup problem, but hes one of the best C's in the league, youre going to have that. i dont think that i spend money on a joackim noah type at the expense of putting together LBJ, Wade, and Bosh to try to mitigate the potential havoc of gasol.  just outscore him, run him up and down the floor, and body him with Udonis Haslem, Big Baby, Dwight Burke, or Robert Traylor. Again, hes a guy who gets his 15-20 pts, but they dont kill you.  He's getting that against anyone outside of Marcus Camby anyway.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

I seriously doubt Joakim Noah can handle the Laker's or Magic frontline either. Therefore, I don't think that Noah is the magic piece that makes a Bulls team with LeBron better than a Heat team with LeBron, Wade, AND Bosh.   I'm sorry if that wasn't what you were suggesting, but it starts to sound like blatant homer-ism.  

What do you guys mean by "handle?"  The Celtics "handled" the Lakers frontline for 6 games while they had Perkins... and they DIDN'T have 2 of the 3 best players in the NBA on their team, plus another all-star.  Suggesting that that Heat team would be impotent against the Lakers because of Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum is ludicrous.  

Perkins and Garnett do play championship level defense.  Plus they had Wallace off the bench.  The Bulls would provide a situation where Bosh could start next to Noah and then would have Taj Gibson to back him up and then would have another minimum player or veteran like Kurt Thomas backing up Noah. That is a strong front line.  Miami, on the other hand, gives you Bosh starting next to a Kurt Thomas-type veterans minimum player with two mininum salary front line players off the bench.  Opposing teams will go right at Bosh and make him guard pick and rolls until he fouls out.  

At least Chicago can come back with Taj Gibson, which is better than Miami will be able to do, especially if as others are saying that all you need to do is stand there under the basket with James and Rose/Wade.  Depth like that is how you win a playoff series and Miami will not have that.  

When the Celtics had to play Sheldon Williams, he did not produce against the Laker front line.  Sheldon Williams will probably be better than the minimum salary players that the Heat will sign.  Big hacks will not be able to the job, unless putting teams in the bonus is a good strategy.

That Heat team would certainly score enough points to win games, but when has that ever won a title in the last 20 years?  They could get lucky and find minimum players who can defend, but you don't win titles out scoring teams.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
what difference does it make if you have defensive hacks when three of the best offensive players in the game are flying up and down the floor? with those three, a coach would have to be legally incompetent to allow a game against a gasol or howard-led front line to slow down enough to become a trudging, halfcourt battle.  it just wouldnt happen. bynum, howard, boozer, etc wouldnt be able to keep up with the tempo of play or score enough points to keep up.  
what does noah do that bosh can't hang with?  at the very VERY least those guys at cancel if they matchup.  bosh scores more on noah than the other way around, its not like bosh's D is so bad that noah suddenly turns into wilt chamberlain. boozer couldnt keep up enough to see the court in the olympics, let alone against three of the best offensive players on the planet, so you let him get his 15 and 10 when thins occasionally break down, and you still win by 20.
sure gasol is a major matchup problem, but hes one of the best C's in the league, youre going to have that. i dont think that i spend money on a joackim noah type at the expense of putting together LBJ, Wade, and Bosh to try to mitigate the potential havoc of gasol.  just outscore him, run him up and down the floor, and body him with Udonis Haslem, Big Baby, Dwight Burke, or Robert Traylor. Again, hes a guy who gets his 15-20 pts, but they dont kill you.  He's getting that against anyone outside of Marcus Camby anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Take off the rose tinted glasses Bulls fans.  If you think that Wade, Bosh, and Lebron can't win championships together, you are nuts.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 12:48:15 PM »
Hoops, that's an apples to oranges comparison. For 1, in a 1 game situation the best teams don't always win. In a best of 7 series, the best team will win. For 2, there's a huge difference between a 6'6" 220 lb true SF Lazar Hayward guarding a 6'10" 300 lb true C  Dexter Pitman than there is a 6'10 Kurt Thomas guarding a 7' Dwight Howard.

For a more apples to apples comparison (but still really not one) it'd be like putting John Wall (best player -LBJ), Evan Turner (2nd best player -Wade), and Derrick Favors (one of the best offensive power forwards -Bosh) on a team with other average roll players and putting them in an open gym (less control/strategy by coaches at the college game) best of 7 series against this year's Duke team. I'd take my chances with the non-Duke team

So yes, with 2 of the 3 best players in the entire NBA, plus a top 15 big, I do think they would win multiple titles with a center who can do absolutely nothing but defend decently and rebound decently. In facet, between Dexter Pittman and Jarvis Vernardo, 2 of the Heats draft picks, I think that'd be just fine at center with those 3. And I think Jermaine O'Neal's still under contract.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Take off the rose tinted glasses Bulls fans.  If you think that Wade, Bosh, and Lebron can't win championships together, you are nuts.

They of course CAN win one or a few, but it is a beatable team for sure.  Very beatable in a 7 game series.  Not a hard game plan.  Bosh is very overrated but will get a max.  Not a good defender down low at all and does not leave much room add defense around that.  You guys can think what you want, but it is a risk they would accept by signing there.  James and Wade can't outscore another team after the first round.  

They will win the Atlantic Division and probably get homecourt in the East.  They can run up and down all regular season.  If you think they are going to roll the ball out there with three all-stars and beat the Lakers without more upgrades, I don't know who the nuts one is.  You must really think that Bosh is a bigger stud than I think I guess.  I have never heard anyone say he is a good defender.  

The Nets may have just cleared enough capspace for two free agents as well.  Interesting move.  Should be a fun week.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Hoops, that's an apples to oranges comparison. For 1, in a 1 game situation the best teams don't always win. In a best of 7 series, the best team will win. For 2, there's a huge difference between a 6'6" 220 lb true SF Lazar Hayward guarding a 6'10" 300 lb true C  Dexter Pitman than there is a 6'10 Kurt Thomas guarding a 7' Dwight Howard.

For a more apples to apples comparison (but still really not one) it'd be like putting John Wall (best player -LBJ), Evan Turner (2nd best player -Wade), and Derrick Favors (one of the best offensive power forwards -Bosh) on a team with other average roll players and putting them in an open gym (less control/strategy by coaches at the college game) best of 7 series against this year's Duke team. I'd take my chances with the non-Duke team

So yes, with 2 of the 3 best players in the entire NBA, plus a top 15 big, I do think they would win multiple titles with a center who can do absolutely nothing but defend decently and rebound decently. In facet, between Dexter Pittman and Jarvis Vernardo, 2 of the Heats draft picks, I think that'd be just fine at center with those 3. And I think Jermaine O'Neal's still under contract.

To your first paragraph, I agree, the best TEAMS win a series.  The whole point of what I have been saying is that Miami might not have the best team overall.

Second paragraph, Kentucky had John Wall and Demarcus Cousins is better than Pittman and did not win it.  So, if you clear the team, add Evan Turner, and two roll players, I would definately take Duke or Kentucky's team.  Even more so in a 7 game series.  I think the whole team matters.

Jermaine O'Neal is off the books.  He was making like $20 million and is a reason they have all this space under the cap.

Hey, the Heat CAN win, but they are beatable for sure with that team.  Unless you think Chris Bosh is better than people are saying. 

groove

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
according to Ian Thomsen at CNNSI it's unlikely that James and Bosh would both end up on the Bulls

"CHRIS BOSH
Max salary for next season: $16.8 million.
Max contract with Toronto (or sign-and-trade): $125.5 million over six years.
Max contract with a rival team: $96.1 million over five years.

For days we've been hearing speculation that James and Bosh will sign with the Bulls. But the numbers don't add up. Assuming that James receives a max salary of $16.8 million -- he should accept nothing less -- that would leave Bosh with a five-year deal worth $76 million. That means Bosh would be giving up $20 million on a max deal over five years and $50 million on a six-year deal via sign-and-trade. Why would he ever leave $50 million on the table?"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/06/28/free.agency.guide/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0sGcINyPL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
They of course CAN win one or a few, but it is a beatable team for sure.  Very beatable in a 7 game series.  Not a hard game plan.  Bosh is very overrated but will get a max.  Not a good defender down low at all and does not leave much room add defense around that.  You guys can think what you want, but it is a risk they would accept by signing there.  James and Wade can't outscore another team after the first round.  

They will win the Atlantic Division and probably get homecourt in the East.  They can run up and down all regular season.  If you think they are going to roll the ball out there with three all-stars and beat the Lakers without more upgrades, I don't know who the nuts one is.  You must really think that Bosh is a bigger stud than I think I guess.  I have never heard anyone say he is a good defender.  

The Nets may have just cleared enough capspace for two free agents as well.  Interesting move.  Should be a fun week.

I'm pretty sure MJ, Scottie, and Rodman won with Luc Longley.

Bosh might not be the BEST defender in the league, but it isn't as if they guy is invisible.  As these guys have all said, the Heat could put out a cheap defensive specialist out there if they are afraid that Pau Gasol et al. are going to shred them.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure MJ, Scottie, and Rodman won with Luc Longley.

Bosh might not be the BEST defender in the league, but it isn't as if they guy is invisible.  As these guys have all said, the Heat could put out a cheap defensive specialist out there if they are afraid that Pau Gasol et al. are going to shred them.

And if the Heat find a compilation of Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, Longley, Wennington, Brian Williams, etc., they they will be the favorites.  Luc and Bill Wennington were skilled shooters who opposing teams big men had to respect from 12-15 feet making it easier to get to the basket too.  Those two also then provided the stand in front of the opposing team's big guy. 

The Bulls role players were not a bunch of stiffs. on either three peat.  They brought important skill sets to the team.  They were set up to beat Orlando defensively on the second three peat and it was a smart move for them.  That is what would worry me about the Heat. 

Maybe Pippen and Jordan gave the same as James and Wade and Rodman gives superior defense but inferior offense compared with Bosh.  It is a good comparison, but there was a lot more to that team than a three man show.  The Bulls did not have to play Dickey Simpkins and the Chief Robert Parrish to win it.  Those are the players the Heat would have to try to win with.  Luc was only a punchline because Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, and Smits always had big advantages over him.  He played a nice role though and it would be hard to find someone like him for the Heat after they spend all their cash.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
It will also be hard to find role players this year as so many teams have cap space, the money has to be spent somewhere.

Defensive centers don't grow on trees for Buzz to recruit to Marquette and they don't grow on trees in the NBA either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
And if the Heat find a compilation of Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, Longley, Wennington, Brian Williams, etc., they they will be the favorites.  Luc and Bill Wennington were skilled shooters who opposing teams big men had to respect from 12-15 feet making it easier to get to the basket too.  Those two also then provided the stand in front of the opposing team's big guy. 

The Bulls role players were not a bunch of stiffs. on either three peat.  They brought important skill sets to the team.  They were set up to beat Orlando defensively on the second three peat and it was a smart move for them.  That is what would worry me about the Heat. 

Maybe Pippen and Jordan gave the same as James and Wade and Rodman gives superior defense but inferior offense compared with Bosh.  It is a good comparison, but there was a lot more to that team than a three man show.  The Bulls did not have to play Dickey Simpkins and the Chief Robert Parrish to win it.  Those are the players the Heat would have to try to win with.  Luc was only a punchline because Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, and Smits always had big advantages over him.  He played a nice role though and it would be hard to find someone like him for the Heat after they spend all their cash.

And that is the part I don't buy.  There are plenty of cheap players out there to be had who can fill roles.  What is often overlooked is the effect that having Lebron, Wade, and Bosh on one team will have on the surrounding players.  The focus will be on the "Big 3" which will naturally open up the role player's games.  You are talking as if the only players that the Heat will be able to afford would be guys from the Rec Center.

If you were a former stud on the tail end of your career without a ring, wouldn't you jump at the chance to play with those 3 guys?  I mean, I would. :)

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
And that is the part I don't buy.  There are plenty of cheap players out there to be had who can fill roles.  What is often overlooked is the effect that having Lebron, Wade, and Bosh on one team will have on the surrounding players.  The focus will be on the "Big 3" which will naturally open up the role player's games.  You are talking as if the only players that the Heat will be able to afford would be guys from the Rec Center.

If you were a former stud on the tail end of your career without a ring, wouldn't you jump at the chance to play with those 3 guys?  I mean, I would. :)

I think people would go there, but players do have the chance to sign with the Lakers for the minimum every year too.  Lebron could sign for the mid-level with LA if he wants a ring for sure.  But maybe this will be such a special spot that people will just do it and sign.  Who knows.

I guess one way to look at it is if Jordan/Pippen/Rodman as a whole give you about what Wade/Bosh/James give you (Im sure you could argue for one or the other, but that is not the point).  I think that Wade/Bosh/James are going to get the equivalent of Dickey Simpkins, John Salley, and the Chief Robert Parrish in their states during the Bulls' second three peat.  The Bulls had a better front line than that.  Would the Bulls have won with the Chief and Salley up front with Dennis?  No idea.  Maybe.  But it would be a way weaker one than Kukoc, Wennington, and Longley.  Those guys were great role players.  They made up for Dennis' weaknesses whereas the Heat may not be able to find people to make up for Bosh's weaknesses.  Those guys were perfect compliments to one of the best rebounders ever and pulled big guys out of the paint for Pippen and Jordan and Kukoc to get to the basket.  That skill might be hard to find.  If it was Dickey and the Chief, it's a different story. 

Kerr and Harper were no slouches on the perimeter either.   Wade will not be able to avoid guarding Kobe and Rose like MJ was able to because of Harper.  Harper complimented Jordan and Pippen perfectly on defense.  There may not be a former all-star out there to do that.  I don't know if those players are out there.  Toni came in and made a HUGE difference off of the bench.  Can Beasley give you that?  Maybe.  Maybe better, who knows. 

Miami can win for sure.  The second three peat was also an old Bulls team whereas James can play 35-40 mins/game probably.  But I guess those examples are what I am trying to say.  I don't think that these free agents are just out there.  If you think they are and will play for under $1 million, then the Heat can pass the Bulls. 

However, I do not think you get three all stars and roll the ball out there with just any stiffs.  Not in the playoffs.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
I think people would go there, but players do have the chance to sign with the Lakers for the minimum every year too.  Lebron could sign for the mid-level with LA if he wants a ring for sure.  But maybe this will be such a special spot that people will just do it and sign.  Who knows.

I guess one way to look at it is if Jordan/Pippen/Rodman as a whole give you about what Wade/Bosh/James give you (Im sure you could argue for one or the other, but that is not the point).  I think that Wade/Bosh/James are going to get the equivalent of Dickey Simpkins, John Salley, and the Chief Robert Parrish in their states during the Bulls' second three peat.  The Bulls had a better front line than that.  Would the Bulls have won with the Chief and Salley up front with Dennis?  No idea.  Maybe.  But it would be a way weaker one than Kukoc, Wennington, and Longley.  Those guys were great role players.  They made up for Dennis' weaknesses whereas the Heat may not be able to find people to make up for Bosh's weaknesses.  Those guys were perfect compliments to one of the best rebounders ever and pulled big guys out of the paint for Pippen and Jordan and Kukoc to get to the basket.  That skill might be hard to find.  If it was Dickey and the Chief, it's a different story. 

Kerr and Harper were no slouches on the perimeter either.   Wade will not be able to avoid guarding Kobe and Rose like MJ was able to because of Harper.  Harper complimented Jordan and Pippen perfectly on defense.  There may not be a former all-star out there to do that.  I don't know if those players are out there.  Toni came in and made a HUGE difference off of the bench.  Can Beasley give you that?  Maybe.  Maybe better, who knows. 

Miami can win for sure.  The second three peat was also an old Bulls team whereas James can play 35-40 mins/game probably.  But I guess those examples are what I am trying to say.  I don't think that these free agents are just out there.  If you think they are and will play for under $1 million, then the Heat can pass the Bulls. 

However, I do not think you get three all stars and roll the ball out there with just any stiffs.  Not in the playoffs.

I agree with you mostly.  I just don't think it will be just 'any stiffs'. 

Just wondering your opinion here... who will stand against the Heat in this situation?  Just the Lakers?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
I agree with you mostly.  I just don't think it will be just 'any stiffs'. 

Just wondering your opinion here... who will stand against the Heat in this situation?  Just the Lakers?

Yeah, pretty much.  Maybe if the Nuggets keep improving...

feedback