collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lebron to Miami  (Read 17802 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Lebron to Miami
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
I agree with you mostly.  I just don't think it will be just 'any stiffs'. 

Just wondering your opinion here... who will stand against the Heat in this situation?  Just the Lakers?

Out West, I don't think the Nuggets or Spurs would beat the Heat in the Finals.  I'd have to see how OK City comes out, but I would give them a chance in the next few years.  I'd give them a chance against anyone tho.  I like what OK City is doing.  

But next year, I would put my money on the Lakers in a Lakers/Heat Finals if that played out.  Artest/Odom on Lebron, Kobe on Wade, and Gasol/Odom on Bosh.  Fisher would not even have to worry about being exposed.  The Lakers are far more likely to stop the Heat than the Heat would be stopping them.  Gasol and Bynum would have a field day on offense in my opinion.  If one of the big three gets into foul trouble, they would still be able to score, but I would really, really worry about the Miami defense.

In the East, Boston might be done.  Orlando could give the Heat trouble.  Howard would be a big, big concern for them if he improves like someone in his early 20's would.  Lewis would be tough for Bosh, but he would be tough for Lewis too.  It'd be a tough series for them.  I don't know who I would pick because I don't know how good Howard is going to be.  I'd give the edge to the Heat in 6 right now, because they are pretty weak defensively on the wing. 

Then it depends on the free agents.  If Bosh/James go to the Heat, someone is going to get Joe Johnson and a big guy, either Boozer or Amare.  If it is Chicago, it would be a tough series for Miama to defend Rose/Johnson/Deng/Boozer/Noah.  James and Wade can only guard two of them.  Someone would be in pick and rolls all game with Rose and Boozer and might get worn out over 7 games.  Plus Thibideau has already schemed ways to stop James and Wade.  Itd be another tough series.  If the Nets get two free agents, then look at them too.  I would have to see the teams play together, but it would be pretty high scoring.  It really depends on how good you think Joakim Noah really is.  The Bulls would have a better overall collection of players and would be hard to defend against.

The Heat will be top 5 in the league and probably get the most regular season wins, but Orlando, whoever gets two free agents in the East, OK City, and LA will give them trouble.  I am sure we all imagine Wade and James having great games and beating those teams, but they will have to win against at least 2 of those teams in a seven game series.  It would depend on them getting role players.

That is how I see the league if free agency shakes out with James and Bosh to the Heat.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
This would be awesome but this doesn't mean that Chicago can't get Joe Johnson and Amare or any other allstar free agent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
Out West, I don't think the Nuggets or Spurs would beat the Heat in the Finals.

The Spurs?  Too old and broken down.  They need an infusion of youth on that team if they are going to win anything before the complete post-Duncan rebuild starts.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
This would be awesome but this doesn't mean that Chicago can't get Joe Johnson and Amare or any other allstar free agent.

It's going to be very competitive.  The Bulls can maybe win a title with Johnson and Amare or Boozer too.  That would be a lineup that could score enough points to win it.  They would be really strong up front with Deng/Noah/Free Agent/Gibson/Veteran big man and could defend the Lakers upfront maybe better than any other team in the league.  It really just depends if you think Noah is a borderline all-star or not.  Noah has showed up in the playoffs both years he has been in them.  

If the Nets get Joe Johnson and Amare or Boozer, they would be almost as competitive, but would lack the difference maker at guard in Rose.  

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Take off the rose tinted glasses Bulls fans.  If you think that Wade, Bosh, and Lebron can't win championships together, you are nuts.

Its going to be hard when the Heat will have no money to make a roster.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
Its going to be hard when the Heat will have no money to make a roster.

As others have stated, many old vets will play on a one-year, league minimum salary for a shot at what would seem to be almost guarantee ring. These are guys that would still be able to play and contribute.

No matter if the Miami deal happens or not, if say James & Bosh together go to either NY, NJ or CHI you will see the same thing.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
As others have stated, many old vets will play on a one-year, league minimum salary for a shot at what would seem to be almost guarantee ring. These are guys that would still be able to play and contribute.

No matter if the Miami deal happens or not, if say James & Bosh together go to either NY, NJ or CHI you will see the same thing.

The veteran minimum exception I think is about $1.5 million.  It is the exception that got the Lakers Karl Malone that one year.  And you can only do it every other year as far as I know.  Otherwise the actually veteran minimum is about $1.3 million, which the Heat literally cannot afford if they sign those three.  They can use the mid-level every year if the Heat's owner wants to put up every year.

When has a veteran minimum ever been the difference on a championship team, and a veteran that actually mattered in the starting lineup?  I literally cannot think of one.  

This roster is not going to just fill up like people think.  Taking three max players is a big risk.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
The veteran minimum exception I think is about $1.5 million.  It is the exception that got the Lakers Karl Malone that one year.  And you can only do it every other year as far as I know.  Otherwise the actually veteran minimum is about $1.3 million, which the Heat literally cannot afford if they sign those three.  They can use the mid-level every year if the Heat's owner wants to put up every year.

When has a veteran minimum ever been the difference on a championship team, and a veteran that actually mattered in the starting lineup?  I literally cannot think of one.  

This roster is not going to just fill up like people think.  Taking three max players is a big risk.  

This is a unique situation and should be treated as such.  Veteran minimum exception is also based on number of years in the league.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
Good article on Miami:  http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
This is a unique situation and should be treated as such.  Veteran minimum exception is also based on number of years in the league.

I thought the minimum and the minimum exception is two different things.  The minimum a player can make depends on years in the league and does count towards a salary cap.

When a team is over the cap, they can sign a veteran to the veterans minimum exception and does not count toward the cap.

It is a unique situation, but a veteran taking the minimum has never really made the difference on a title.  Maybe here it would, who knows.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
I thought the minimum and the minimum exception is two different things.  The minimum a player can make depends on years in the league and does count towards a salary cap.

When a team is over the cap, they can sign a veteran to the veterans minimum exception and does not count toward the cap.

It is a unique situation, but a veteran taking the minimum has never really made the difference on a title.  Maybe here it would, who knows.

More likely, they'd sign someone to a mid-level exception, which is the NBA average salary for one year and doesn't count against the cap.  Karl Malone was signed to the minimum level exception when he joined the LA Lakers...Gary Payton signed the mid level exception (I think).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
Here's the update from my NBA front office people (believe what you want):

-Chances are VERY slim LBJ signs in Miami, it's just not happening

-LBJ is either re-signing with the Cavs or coming to Chicago

-Bulls are lukewarm on Bosh. Issue is if they sign LBJ, Bosh, and Noah, it's too many pieces that are the same. Bulls like Joe Johnson more than Bosh, but not at max money. They LOVE Redick, and would love to sign/trade for him, but no way Orlando would take Deng back.

-That said about Bosh, if it means signing Bosh to get LBJ, Bulls will do it.

-Bosh is only going to either Miami, Chicago, or New York. There's no way he goes to Cleveland if LBJ signs there (which could only be via sign/trade).

-If LBJ re-signs with Cleveland, Bulls will look at Amare. If Paul Pierce opts out, they'll go hard after him (if LBJ goes to Cleveland)

There's a lot going on there, but I trust my guys.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »

-Bulls are lukewarm on Bosh. Issue is if they sign LBJ, Bosh, and Noah, it's too many pieces that are the same. Bulls like Joe Johnson more than Bosh, but not at max money. They LOVE Redick, and would love to sign/trade for him, but no way Orlando would take Deng back.

-Bosh is only going to either Miami, Chicago, or New York. There's no way he goes to Cleveland if LBJ signs there (which could only be via sign/trade).

-If LBJ re-signs with Cleveland, Bulls will look at Amare. If Paul Pierce opts out, they'll go hard after him (if LBJ goes to Cleveland)

Hope its true.  But Joe Johnson, whether he deserves it or not, will get a max deal.  Most likely Knicks because they have a terrible front office.  And I don't understand how LBJ, Noah, and Bosh are the same pieces?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »

More likely, they'd sign someone to a mid-level exception, which is the NBA average salary for one year and doesn't count against the cap.  Karl Malone was signed to the minimum level exception when he joined the LA Lakers...Gary Payton signed the mid level exception (I think).

Sorry, but LBJ, Wade, and Bosh is not an automatic championship.  There are great role players on every championship team.  Even with Boston, Rondo became the most important player on the team.  Quality players that have quality years left are not going to sacrifice money for championships.  They are in the business where they need to cash in on one or MAYBE two good contracts. 

I am not saying a Miami team with those three can not win but they need role players too.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
LBJ, Noah, Bosh put the Bulls too forward heavy cash wise going forward. If Noah was more of a true 5, it would be less of an issue.

Rose will get max money in a few years, Noah won't get max money but will get Deng like money in a few years as well.

Bulls preference would be paying a shooter or a taller 2 guard. If Ray Allen were about 4 years younger, Bulls (and many others) would be highly coveted.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »
Quality players that have quality years left are not going to sacrifice money for championships. 

IF this is true (which I am not yet cynical enough to believe) these 15 words are the reason why the NBA sucks. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
LBJ, Noah, Bosh put the Bulls too forward heavy cash wise going forward. If Noah was more of a true 5, it would be less of an issue.

Rose will get max money in a few years, Noah won't get max money but will get Deng like money in a few years as well.

Bulls preference would be paying a shooter or a taller 2 guard. If Ray Allen were about 4 years younger, Bulls (and many others) would be highly coveted.

He is a center.  Not sure what other category he would fall under.  For a PF, he doesn't really have the offensive skill set to fall under a PF.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
IF this is true (which I am not yet cynical enough to believe) these 15 words are the reason why the NBA sucks. 

Its like that for every professional sport.  Why do you think Peppers is on the Bears?  Because they are Super Bowl contenders?  Why are the Blackhawks going to lose a bunch of players?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

Paul Pierce is not a name I had heard.  Interesting option, though he is at the end of his career. 

Reddick would also be an interesting 2 guard with Rose and James as well. 

This week is like Christmas Eve.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
I think I conflated 'legacy' with being 'the man.'  If LeBron wins a bunch of championships in Miami, I doubt he cares what people say about his legacy. The thing that could bother him in Miami is stepping onto someone else's team, which we agree on.

I seriously doubt Joakim Noah can handle the Laker's or Magic frontline either. Noah, put up 11 and 11 n the season and 15 and 13 on 53% shooting in the playoffs. He's only 25, works his ass off and just put up 15 and 13.  He's probably better than you realize, and 10X better than whatever unsigned draft pick Miami would have to start.  You realize that Miami would have to have about 3 2nd round draft picks and unsigned free agendas who need to play significant minutes? They would win a lot of games, but I wouldn't perdict a championship.

What do you guys mean by "handle?"  The Celtics "handled" the Lakers frontline for 6 games while they had Perkins... and they DIDN'T have 2 of the 3 best players in the NBA on their team, plus another all-star. Suggesting that that Heat team would be impotent against the Lakers because of Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum is ludicrous.  I'm not going to suggest anyone is impotent but I think the other thing that isn't being said is that Fisher wouldn't even be able to come close to guarding rose, that match up issue would be the a bigger problem than any imagined liability from Noah.  I honestly feel like 3 guys + nobody will have a hard time with the lakers next year in a 7 game series.  They would be a better team than the Heat team that won a few years back though.  If the bulls have  Noah, LBJ, Bosh, Deng, Gibson and Rose they have a huge advantage in terms of talent at guys 4-7 over what Miami would have. Hell Pargo and Warrick at the tail end of the rotation might be better than players 4 &5  on Miami.

[/quote}

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Paul Pierce is not a name I had heard.  Interesting option, though he is at the end of his career. 

Reddick would also be an interesting 2 guard with Rose and James as well. 

This week is like Christmas Eve.

Pierce will demand way too much for what he's worth.  I think we'd be a contender with Boozer and Johnson so there are plenty of options.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
If a team can get Joe Johnson and Boozer for under the cap, then that would be great.  I am not sure they are worth the max, though.  Rose/Johnson/Deng/Boozer/Noah would be a solid lineup though.  That team could maybe get out of the east and Boozer would at least have Noah next to him to guard Pau. 

If the Bulls strike out, it will be awful.  I'd rather see them add a lot of pieces rather than blow money on someone.  I'd take Boozer for $12 million and then add a bunch of other pieces if that is all they can do.  No need to get crazy.

NY is going to make a big mistake signing Johnson and Amare to max deals.  That is a 45-50 win and second round loss team at best.  And that basically keeps them out of recruiting other max guys as clearing enough space for another max player is not realistic. 

In the end, though, let's get James!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:18 PM »
Good article on Miami:  http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Great article, I just don't see how this could happen.

Wade "wanted to get box seats and I was able to get him seats at the last minute."

Last minute tickets to a sox game, that's unheard of!

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »

NY is going to make a big mistake signing Johnson and Amare to max deals.  That is a 45-50 win and second round loss team at best.  And that basically keeps them out of recruiting other max guys as clearing enough space for another max player is not realistic.  

The news today is that the Hawks are going to offer Johnson the max, something near 6 yrs/120 mil.  Considering he left Phoenix for a crapload of cash once before, I doubt he passes that up.  I think a lot more of these guys, including LeBron, will be staying home than people expected (hoped for).  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:05:47 AM by shiloh26 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
Johnson is not worth that kind of jack!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.