'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Saddest day of the year  (Read 27138 times)

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Saddest day of the year
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »
Selection Sunday when you have no shot of getting asked to the dance.....  Hopeful for next year.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Saddest day of the year
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
True, but we've had since December to prepare.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »
Most frustrating season in.....ever???
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:29:25 AM »
Most frustrating season in.....ever???

Last year was far more frustrating. That team should have been a Final Four contender, instead Blue goes pro, Jamil and Davante never embrace playing like senior leaders, Mayo is wildly inconsistent, and Derrick & Jake form an offensively stunted backcourt. That should have been Buzz's best team, and instead it was his worst.

This year we could see it coming. Most people's preseason best case scenario involved the NIT. I get far less frustrated when there are no expectations.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Last year was far more frustrating. That team should have been a Final Four contender, instead Blue goes pro, Jamil and Davante never embrace playing like senior leaders, Mayo is wildly inconsistent, and Derrick & Jake form an offensively stunted backcourt. That should have been Buzz's best team, and instead it was his worst.

This year we could see it coming. Most people's preseason best case scenario involved the NIT. I get far less frustrated when there are no expectations.

Yep.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:41:41 AM »

Ok-- a matter of degrees. I was frustrated last year also. Interesting you blame Wilson and Gardner for not being leaders--what about Otule? A 6th year senior by the way. I blame last year not so much on those guys, but on the country bumpkin called Buzzard. What a ding dong--and he was the guy to instill the leadership--which he did not---too busy looking for his golden parachute. Mr. classless and a big phony!!!! And yet we still have the In Buzz we trust crowd piping up the hossanas.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »

Final Four contender??? Wow, I'll have what you're smoking.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »
Final Four contender??? Wow, I'll have what you're smoking.

We were an Elite 8 team with 75% of our scoring returning and a top-10 recruiting class. Of course we were a Final Four contender.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
We were an Elite 8 team with 75% of our scoring returning and a top-10 recruiting class. Of course we were a Final Four contender.

That's insane. No serious expert was picking MU for the Final Four.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
That's insane. No serious expert was picking MU for the Final Four.

When 2012 ended, before Blue declared? You don't think we were a Final Four contender? Are you smoking crack? Or just a Badger fan in disguise?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
When 2012 ended, before Blue declared? You don't think we were a Final Four contender? Are you smoking crack? Or just a Badger fan in disguise?

Show me one credible expert who was saying MU was a Final Four contender. Otherwise, shut up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
Agree with Groiner.   I don't recall serious commentary that MU was in the hunt for the Final Four, prior to Blue leaving. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Show me one credible expert who was saying MU was a Final Four contender. Otherwise, shut up.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38054.msg483142#msg483142

ESPN article had us "trending up."

Reading Scoop from that time, many people suggested that we could build on the E8 appearance.  Three top returning scorers.  Big time recruiting class coming in.  Only real issue was at point guard.

Now "final four contender" means a lot of things.  Does that mean top 5...top 10...top 15 preseason?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »

Okay.

Preseason top-10: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/22036310
Preseason top-10: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball
Top-10 ranking, possibly best team since Wade: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/way-too-early-look-college-basketball-best-teams-084159671--ncaab.html
Top-10 ranking, best since Wade: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/09/the-way-too-early-preseason-top-25/

Listen...I get that after two sub-par seasons, it's kind of "cool to be negative". But it doesn't make you right. Less than 2 years ago, we were an Elite 8 team that was returning its top three scorers. We had a top-10 recruiting class that included the top JUCO player in the country. I don't know what your definition of "Final Four contender" is, but if EVERY site I'm looking at says we were a top-10 team, I'm pretty sure that covers it.

Even after Blue and Jameel left, we were still ranked in the top-20 and favored to win our conference. Lunardi had us as a 4-seed in his first bracketology. And now that I've disproven your inane comments, you can shut up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 08:40:34 AM »
Okay.

Preseason top-10: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/22036310
Preseason top-10: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball
Top-10 ranking, possibly best team since Wade: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/way-too-early-look-college-basketball-best-teams-084159671--ncaab.html
Top-10 ranking, best since Wade: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/09/the-way-too-early-preseason-top-25/

Listen...I get that after two sub-par seasons, it's kind of "cool to be negative". But it doesn't make you right. Less than 2 years ago, we were an Elite 8 team that was returning its top three scorers. We had a top-10 recruiting class that included the top JUCO player in the country. I don't know what your definition of "Final Four contender" is, but if EVERY site I'm looking at says we were a top-10 team, I'm pretty sure that covers it.

Even after Blue and Jameel left, we were still ranked in the top-20 and favored to win our conference. Lunardi had us as a 4-seed in his first bracketology. And now that I've disproven your inane comments, you can shut up.

Boom.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
It's sad, but not nearly is sad as when you think you have a shot at the Tournament, but don't make it.

And then, you don't even make the NIT.

I laughed as hard as anyone at the famous Tom Crean face, but his expression perfectly expressed how I was feeling after tourney selections last year.

Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »
That's my expression too when I've disappointed chick in some way and I hear 'Get your own damn supper!'  Love ya honey.   :-*

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »

Ding ding ding
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
Dukiet history, very little to be hopeful for, unlike today.  Lowest of lows.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
With Blue in the mix, Final Four contender is a fair assessment. Final Four favorite, that's a different story.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

We were 1 second away from being 1 and done as well and Davidson crapped the bed.  Crapshoot.  It is a very thin line.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
Sorry but with Blue that was not Buzz best team.

It was evident right away that Derrick was not a good enough PG. The loss of Junior was huge.

Of course Blue staying mean Jake leaves so that's a huge positive.

The Jae/DJO team was far more talented though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
We were 1 second away from being 1 and done as well and Davidson crapped the bed.  Crapshoot.  It is a very thin line.

Changes none of what I said. We did make the Elite 8, virtually every pundit had is as a top 10 team -- I looked at another 6-7 rankings, all but one had us top 10. We were absolutely a Final Four contender in the eyes of most every national outlet and expert.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »
Sorry but with Blue that was not Buzz best team.

It was evident right away that Derrick was not a good enough PG. The loss of Junior was huge.

Of course Blue staying mean Jake leaves so that's a huge positive.

The Jae/DJO team was far more talented though.

Blue would have started at PG and Derrick would have been a backup. I really think that would have been Buzz' best team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
Blue would have started at PG and Derrick would have been a backup. I really think that would have been Buzz' best team.

Yup. Blue would have slid to the 1 like Buycks did when Junior wasn't ready. Jake would have transferred, giving us a primary backcourt of Van and Mayo. In a perfect world, Jamil, Otule, and McKay start with Davante, Duane, and Derrick off the bench.

It all ended up a disaster, but on March 30, 2012, we had the look of a contender.

feedback