[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit  (Read 22713 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Nice stats, all irrelevant

Roy gets to cherry pick the very best.  That is why he is successful.

Koenig is not consider among the best of the 2013 class (do I have to wrote #73 again???).  Roy is saying he found a diamond in the rough.

What's Roy record picking relatively unknown kids and turning them into stars?  I don't think he has one as he doesn't have to do this.

Alright, I'll say it ... is Roy using Koenig to sign Tokoto?  Once Tokoto is signed, will Koenig quietly fall away?  Roy has two years to make him go away.

Your reasoning is absolutely terrible.  "Kroenig and Tokoto aren't good enough to go to UNC."  Then "Roy cherry picks from the best."  Then "Roy doesn't have a track record with unknown guys because he doesn't have to sign them."  Use some common sense and you will come to the realization that Roy recruits the best players in the nation and that he is recruiting Kroenig and Tokoto.  Clearly he thinks that those 2 guys are 2 of the best guys in their classes in the entire nation.  He doesn't need to find the diamond in the rough.  He needs to find the best players, and he considers Kroenig and Tokoto the best players in the nation.  You really are going to take the opinion of some recruiting service over the opinion of Roy Williams to decide where Kroenig stands compared to the other guards in his class?  More power to you, then, I guess...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
Nice stats, all irrelevant

Roy gets to cherry pick the very best.  That is why he is successful.

Koenig is not consider among the best of the 2013 class (do I have to wrote #73 again???).  Roy is saying he found a diamond in the rough.

What's Roy record picking relatively unknown kids and turning them into stars?  I don't think he has one as he doesn't have to do this.

Alright, I'll say it ... is Roy using Koenig to sign Tokoto?  Once Tokoto is signed, will Koenig quietly fall away?  Roy has two years to make him go away.

Early in Roy's career, he most certainly had to have an eye for talent and didn't just cherry pick. To suggest he doesn't now, well that's pretty insulting to him and his staff as well.

I love your optimism but it seems you are trying to say Roy isn't a very good coach and merely has these players gift wrapped to him.  Doesn't quite work that way in reality.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »
I love your optimism but it seems you are trying to say Roy isn't a very good coach and merely has these players gift wrapped to him.  Doesn't quite work that way in reality.

Well with his talent, he has certainly sucked the last two seasons.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:57 AM »
Well with his talent, he has certainly sucked the last two seasons.

This season isn't over yet.  If we don't make the NCAA this year, are you going to have similar opinions of our own coach considering all the talent we have....the most top 100 RSCU guys on our squad...

Eye

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
No Coach K, but someone from MU was there (not sure if it was Buzz or one of the assistants, I was not at the game, softball practice, but had someone who's involved in three other varsity programs in Onalaska pass that along). Aquinas clobbered Onalaska in the game 56-43 BTW, with Koenig leading the way with 23 points, 9-16 FG, 4-7 3's, including 8 points in the first 4 minutes as Aquinas opened the game on a 12-3 run, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and guarded Thomas, holding him to 13 points on 4-12 shooting. Also a bucket, a 3 and an assist in a 15-4 run that pushed the Aquinas lead to 34-14 late in the first half. About a 60 percent chance I'll be calling the Aquinas game on radio Friday (about a 40 percent chance I'll be doing a hockey sectional final that night), so if I do, would be happy to pass along a report on Koenig's game.
GO WARRIORS!

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »
"Trust Roy?  He has 7 McDonald's AA and 5 other top 50 guys.  And what has he done with this?  NIT and #19.  Anybody else would be run out of town wasting this much talent."

UNC's problems last year and early this year were caused by two people, Ed Davis and Larry Drew II...both were cancers to the program....neither would  listen to Roy (you could see it during timeouts), and were virtually uncoachable......both were the kids of former NBA players and in Drew's case...he NEVER bought in....went home for summers so his dad could "coach" him instead of staying in Chapel Hill for summer pick up games so he was always behind the curve in team chemistry. Just look at how different (and better) they look now that Drew is gone....addition by subtraction...even Roy looks like he's having more fun.

By the way, the summer pick up games at UNC are legendary....guys like Rasheed Wallace, Ed Cota , Vince Carter, Sean May, Ty Lawson, Raymond Felton, Jerry Stackhouse and many others (including a few former Duke/NBA players) are there playing as well....the level of competition is unreal and lots of "coaching up" goes on. Harrison Barnes has talked about a few things he learned over the summer on more than one occasion.

From what I've heard, the intensity is palpable and most people would be willing to pay big money just to watch the scrimmages. What kid, (interested in really developing his game), would not want to be part of that?

As much as I love MU, we can't even get DWade to stop his silent "recruiting" for Crean by being photographed in IU gear etc....what does THAT say about our history and pedigree?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:42:50 AM by texaswarrior74 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
Odd, since you're such an RSCI kind of guy.  Frasor was ranked 31st overall.  McNeal 57th.  Frasor would have been the highest MU recruit in two decades, but I'm sure you knew that already.  Also, we don't know what he would have done at MU...different environment, different opportunities...but I'm sure you knew that already.

But hey, good thing he lucked into going to UNC instead.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm

WTF are you talking about?
First, you know I often rip the RSCI and am anything but "an RSCI guy."
Second, are you disputing whether Jerel was a better college player than Bobby Frasor? Or whether Wade was better than Desmon Farmer? (Farmer also would have been MU's highest rated recruit in a long time .. perhaps he would have been better than Wade in a different environment) Or that the fact Farmer and Frasor chose to go elsewhere turned out to be fortuitous decisions for Marquette?
Really, do you have a point here?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
WTF are you talking about?
First, you know I often rip the RSCI and am anything but "an RSCI guy."
Second, are you disputing whether Jerel was a better college player than Bobby Frasor? Or whether Wade was better than Desmon Farmer? (Farmer also would have been MU's highest rated recruit in a long time .. perhaps he would have been better than Wade in a different environment) Or that the fact Farmer and Frasor chose to go elsewhere turned out to be fortuitous decisions for Marquette?
Really, do you have a point here?

I figured after your post in the Wisconsin thread about all the great talent that Wisconsin was bringing in, and using RSCI as your source.......I guess we agree then, these rankings are jack squat but you know as well as I do that a good chunk of people here would be massaging erogenous zones if we landed a top 40 player like Frasor and would blister McNeal for only being near 60 on signing day if it came down to those two.  There are people here that are absolutely in love with player rankings and preseason polling, for what reason I'll never know.

I didn't dispute Wade or Farmer at all, did I?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Win.

DING DING DING!! We have the correct answer. Wining attracts players.

leever

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
Or, if you happen to be discussing Syracuse basketball, whining attracts players

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
Niv... never say never.  People used to say such things about UW football, now look at how successful they are.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
I thought UNC was suppose to have a comittment from these guys before they left on Tuesday?

Don't believe everything you hear.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
Tokoto extended his stay until Tuesday and then announced that he was moving up the time line of his announcement to about 30 days from now...and he was going to visit Maryland last night (which didn't happen) and Bucky one last time before announcing. His recruitment is playing out very much like that of Harrison Barnes...in fact, JPs' parents spent a good deal of time visiting with Shirley Barnes over the weekend as well.

People still believe it's UNC....even moreso than before....believe it was a silent verbal to Roy over the weekend. Like others, I'll believe it when it's official.

As far as Koenig, he says that UNC is his leader and he wants to watch what happens with who else they recruit for 2012/2013 before making a move....Roy then offered Julius Randle the #1 player in the 2013 class on Monday....I know Julius and his mother who I used to work with....he's a great kid and absolute stud on the court....in his case I think its a two team race...KU or UNC with UNC having the edge right now.

Also looks like things with Shabazz Mohammed are heating up for the Heels....Roy could be in the process of putting together a couple of very special back to back classes.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Hmmmm....Don't see Buzz in picture here. Oh well, it's UNC, who we cannot touch, and Buzz did invest plenty of time in Tokoto.

I secretly do have my fingers crossed that both dis Ol' Roy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
^ And go to Bucky?...since both appear to have Bucky as #2 right now....?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
^ And go to Bucky?...since both appear to have Bucky as #2 right now....?
I guess I'll cross more fingers then and hope Bucky gets rejected also.
The real question is why we are not in this mix--unless you call being 4 or 5 in the mix.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
Come on Billy, Roy vs. Buzz? You're kiddin', right?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback