[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit  (Read 22874 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Koenig and Tokoto's UNC Visit
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
Why is it that everybody coceded Carolina for these ywo? Why cabn't we land them? Why is this a forgone conclusion? What about Buzz's prowess as a recruiter?

Ever been to UNC? Nuff said.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
At an elite program like say North Carolina or Kansas though, he'd not only be just one of other upper tier recruits on the roster, he won't have tons of their fans expecting him to be fabulous the minute he steps on the court. With as much strength as he needs to put on and a skillset that does need refining, not having to be "the man" on campus could save J.P. some angst is his development isn't immediate.

I can't argue with anyone choosing UNC over Marquette, but I kind of doubt they would choose UNC simply because they would rather be lower on the depth chart.  If you were a top recruit, wouldn't you rather have a better chance of getting on the court?  UNC might have more overall exposure than MU, but in terms of getting more exposure for individual players that are not top 25 recruits, MU is probably better.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Sooo, never. MU will never be UNC. Best MU can do is be a consistent winner in the BEast (expectations for the program to always be in the top echelon of the conference). If they do that, we'll always have a shot of landing a few top players, but we'll never have the name/brand of UNC. No harm in that, just won't ever happen. It's like college football. The big names will always be the big names. Flashes in the pan may come along, but there's usually an 'order' to things.

And I hate to be a pessimist, but if I had to bet on it right now I would say there's a better chance of MU slipping into the bottom half of the Big East than moving into the top 3-4.  Marquette simply doesn't recruit on the level of at least 5-6 teams in the conference and St. John's, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Cincy are getting better.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
I can't argue with anyone choosing UNC over Marquette, but I kind of doubt they would choose UNC simply because they would rather be lower on the depth chart.  If you were a top recruit, wouldn't you rather have a better chance of getting on the court?  UNC might have more overall exposure than MU, but in terms of getting more exposure for individual players that are not top 25 recruits, MU is probably better.

Maybe he wants to win a national title.  That isn't happening at MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
Correct. A national championship isn't likely but progress over time can be made. The goal is that in a decade MU can be in the running for players like this.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
Correct. A national championship isn't likely but progress over time can be made. The goal is that in a decade MU can be in the running for players like this.

A decade?  Thought we were "in the running" for them now?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »
Doesn't  look like we are.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
What about UW in the last few years?  Look at the players coming out or Wisc. HS (not what they did afterwards).  UW is not getting the best in the state anymore.

They did not get JMay (and they would have taken him in a heart beat!), VB, Wilson and apparently Tokoto and Koenig.  

At least we are getting a fair share of the state's top players, they have been getting much less since Buzz arrived on the scene.

So, what's wrong with Madison?  Why are the best going there?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
A decade?  Thought we were "in the running" for them now?

Everyone was excited MU was just a step slow catching their top five prospects last summer. It meant that Buzz was getting closer and closer to landing that elite level of talent, and with the talent on roster, it was only a matter of time until it happened.

Life doesn't always go according to plan.

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Couple things.
That is JP's step dad, not biological father although he has rasied him.

Jmay was not wanted at all by UW (or MU under Crean). Too much baggage for a run of the mill player.  Very little interest in Wilson after his soph year and obviously lots of interest in VB.

News from UNC is that both these guys are locks for the Heels. This state does not product enough players of that skill level for MU or UW  miss out on them but when the big boys come calling there isn't a lot you can do.  The only way MU or UW will ever compte for a title is if they land some rare 4-5 star local talents. Just too difficult to pull kids from far away consistently. There are great schools everywhere.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:23:45 AM by butchbadger »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »
News from UNC is that both these guys are locks for the Heels. This state does not product enough players of that skill level for MU or UW  miss out on them but when the big boys come calling there isn't a lot you can do.  The only way MU or UW will ever compte for a title is if they land some rare 4-5 star local talents. Just too difficult to pull kids from far away consistently. There are great schools everywhere.

Let me interpret what you said ... MU and UW have a permanent disadvantage, it's called the weather.  Of course Koenig and Tokoto want to get out of here, they are shoveling snow whereas UNC kids are looking at pretty girls.

Disagree?

If not, how do we change this so the Koenigs and Tokotos want to come to MU and/or UW?

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
The weather has to be a huge factor along with its Duke, and UNC.

If not, how do we change this so the Koenigs and Tokotos want to come to MU and/or UW?

Not sure. It is a problem unless 1 of the schools stumles into a FF or championship.  It takes some luck. But if you do you can become bigger in the eyes of these kids. 

I don't think anyone thinks realistically that is goin to happen in the near future for either local school unless a player blows up like Wade di or the draw just sets up right.

The idiot Sparky on WSSP 1250 is always spouting off about how either program has low expectations.  The fact is the stat doesn't produce enought players (football too) and you are not going to pull top kids out of Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, or Michigan very often.  They either want to stay and play close to home or go play for Duke, Kansas, UNC or professionally at Kentucky.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »
What about UW in the last few years?  Look at the players coming out or Wisc. HS (not what they did afterwards).  UW is not getting the best in the state anymore.

They did not get JMay (and they would have taken him in a heart beat!), VB, Wilson and apparently Tokoto and Koenig.  

At least we are getting a fair share of the state's top players, they have been getting much less since Buzz arrived on the scene.

So, what's wrong with Madison?  Why are the best going there?

Wait a minute...are you being serious?  Wisconsin wanted NOTHING to do with JMay and would not have taken him in a heart beat.  THEY WANTED NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with JMay for all the reasons we shouldn't have either.

Now, what's odd is that you're saying that MU is getting more of the state's best players, yet Madison keeps beating us and has a better program than us the last decade....hmmm.  So what does that say?  It seems to me you are saying we have the better players but we are losing to them.  Awesome.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
And I hate to be a pessimist, but if I had to bet on it right now I would say there's a better chance of MU slipping into the bottom half of the Big East than moving into the top 3-4.  Marquette simply doesn't recruit on the level of at least 5-6 teams in the conference and St. John's, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Cincy are getting better.
But...but...how can this be...we hear what an excellent recruiter the Coach is. Then he should be landing some of the top 40 types in state. Oh, sorry, he did, he landed Vander.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
Everyone who rips Buzz for landing Vander is a complete moron.  Show me one person who was upset when Vander signed with Marquette.  Who did you want us to take over him?

Second, Vander is still a quality player.  He is struggling his first go around in the Big East but he will improve.  HE IS A FRESHMAN!!!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
I'm not sure how two highly-rated players going to play for a relatively modern (and traditional) basketball powerhouse is so damning to our current staff.

When the whole "It's Indiana" thing came out, I didn't get it, but I've got a lousy memory and really didn't get into college hoops until 99. If I were a highly touted recruit, I'd much more likely want to go to a coach with recent success (history be damned). If that school just happened to also be steeped in basketball tradition, it'd make the decision a no-brainer.

That doesn't make Marquette a poor choice ... it's just not going to win the battle against that top tier of basketball schools very often.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
Wait a minute...are you being serious?  Wisconsin wanted NOTHING to do with JMay and would not have taken him in a heart beat.  THEY WANTED NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with JMay for all the reasons we shouldn't have either.

Now, what's odd is that you're saying that MU is getting more of the state's best players, yet Madison keeps beating us and has a better program than us the last decade....hmmm.  So what does that say?  It seems to me you are saying we have the better players but we are losing to them.  Awesome.

Just because it seems like the top Wisconsin players aren't going to Wisconsin anymore since Buzz has been here doesn't mean our players are a ton better. Hu If you look, UW's two best players are from Minnesota. Nankivil has been good, but as far as I can remember he's been pretty inconsistent. I know he had a good game last night, but I haven't seen too many of their games. Otherwise their guys from Wisconsin like Jarmusz have been role players. Gasser looks to be a nice freshman, but I think Vander has more upside. Vander just needs to put it together and he has plenty of time left in his career to do that.

I will say I have been impressed with Buzz's ability to get good players from Wisconsin. I know that was a big worry when he got hired. Hopefully we can get Tokoto, I don't think we have much chance at Koenig. Although losing Tokoto to UNC isn't anything to be ashamed of, plenty of states lose their top players to UNC or Duke each year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »
Everyone who rips Buzz for landing Vander is a complete moron.  Show me one person who was upset when Vander signed with Marquette.  Who did you want us to take over him?

Second, Vander is still a quality player.  He is struggling his first go around in the Big East but he will improve.  HE IS A FRESHMAN!!!

Agree with this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
I'm not sure how two highly-rated players going to play for a relatively modern (and traditional) basketball powerhouse is so damning to our current staff.

When the whole "It's Indiana" thing came out, I didn't get it, but I've got a lousy memory and really didn't get into college hoops until 99. If I were a highly touted recruit, I'd much more likely want to go to a coach with recent success (history be damned). If that school just happened to also be steeped in basketball tradition, it'd make the decision a no-brainer.

That doesn't make Marquette a poor choice ... it's just not going to win the battle against that top tier of basketball schools very often.

+1   No shame in losing guys to UNC.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

+ every MU fan not caught up in the apocalyptic scoop talk

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »

And who was MU's coach for the better part of the last decade?  There's the oh-so elusive answer to your question. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »
I don't know Roy's approach, but I would have to say playing time is tremendously competitive at UNC.  Hence, does one want to take a big risk at UNC of just being a practice player?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
That's why it doesn't matter if they sign with UNC.  Tokoto will eventually transfer to MU and Koenig will eventually transfer to UW.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
Doubt it. I think these cats can ball.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"