* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:23:28 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya hooie  (Read 11411 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Hoya hooie
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »

Some college basketball writer posted something yesterday saying that only 8 of the head coaches in the "Power 6" basketball conferences got their current job directly from being an assistant.

The only two that did not have a prior connection to their program were Chris Collins and Wojo.  Everyone else was either promoted (Gard, Boeheim, Mack, Holtmann, Izzo) or a rehire (Leitao).

Not to be a dick, but if you're promoted aren't you getting a job as a result of being an assistant?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Class71

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
I blame MU administration. They pay big bucks for untested nobody coaches aka Cream, Buzzard and now Wojo. It is amazing we have done as well as we have given our guess, hope and praying concept to hiring head coaches. How about we hire someone with head coaching experience with a proven record? We were lucky 2 out of 3 times which is very fortunate. No corporation would put an untested manager in to fill a CEO position but MU does.  Time they are held accountable.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
Second time around the league and MU has been scouted.  When JTIII out game preps you, you have significant work to do

A week off to self-scout  How well does the coaching staff and team respond?  Two sleepwalkers in a row...a third would be telling as to the state of the program.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
This is a fun team to watch when they feel like playing. Just don't understand why we can't bring it every time we take the court. Maddening.

The blame is on the coach not the players.  It is the coach's responsibility for his team to be prepared and to bring it every time.  That Wojo struggles with in-game adjustments makes it that much tougher for this team to perform consistently.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »
Not to be a dick, but if you're promoted aren't you getting a job as a result of being an assistant?

You're right there. But the point is that the vast majority of head coaches in power conferences have head coaching experience. That only 6 got the job as a promotion shows you how rare it is to even get promoted to HC within your own program. I'm still confused as to why MU thought it made sense to buck the trend.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
The scout is out on this team. Wojo has  No idea what adjustments need to be made.
Fify
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
What adjustments do you see?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Yeah but my point is that 5 of the 8 were simply promoted from within.  They were known quantities and knew the program.

To be fair, the three most successful post-Al coaches were assistants before getting the MU job.  (Buzz, Crean, O'Neill).  Two of them didn't have any connection to the program before being hired.  It is a formula that has worked for them in the past.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
Looks like Cheatham has hit the sophisticated wall.

Yes indeed.  In last 6 games, he only had one good one and the others have been just terrible.  If you look at his BE game stats, they are on the verge of a Sandy Cohen collapse, this from a kid who had a sensational freshman season. Very surprising, but like others have stated, maybe he is one dimensional and teams are on to him, but his turnovers have been just brutal.   
Let the recruiting over him conversation commence...........

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
I'm still confused as to why MU thought it made sense to buck the trend.

Because it has worked for them before.  Hiring mid major coaches hasn't.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
The blame is on the coach not the players.  It is the coach's responsibility for his team to be prepared and to bring it every time.  That Wojo struggles with in-game adjustments makes it that much tougher for this team to perform consistently.

You just have do wonder if Wojo didn't also start thinking about his name on K's chair after beating 'Nova. The lack of preparation over these past 5 is astounding. What's so concerning is that after we drop close games at home, we go on the road and get blown out against bottom half competition. Brutal.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
What adjustments do you see?
I'll admit I don't know, but I'm also not the head MU basketball coach. I can definitively say this team isn't playing to its potential though. And I think we can all definitively say that coaching plays a big role in that. I've not seen anything from Wojo's teams that have inspired hope in me that he's a long term solution. This year is more of the same. This goes so beyond simple talent deficiencies. His teams aren't tough. His teams aren't aggressive. His teams don't fight. His teams are the antithesis of the MU brand
No Finish Line

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
I'll admit I don't know, but I'm also not the head MU basketball coach. I can definitively say this team isn't playing to its potential though. And I think we can all definitively say that coaching plays a big role in that. I've not seen anything from Wojo's teams that have inspired hope in me that he's a long term solution. This year is more of the same. This goes so beyond simple talent deficiencies. His teams aren't tough. His teams aren't aggressive. His teams don't fight. His teams are the antithesis of the MU brand
It's right there for everybody to see if they choose to see it, the program is a train wreck.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
This goes so beyond simple talent deficiencies. His teams aren't tough. His teams aren't aggressive. His teams don't fight. His teams are the antithesis of the MU brand

Preach.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »

The strange thing is that in following Wojo the player, this team is the complete opposite of what you would expect.  Fiery, gritty, all out hustle, determination, great defender.  You don't see any of that out of them. 

When you watch successful programs and coaches, the players take on the coaches philosophy and personality.  I really don't see anything out of this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
The strange thing is that in following Wojo the player, this team is the complete opposite of what you would expect.  Fiery, gritty, all out hustle, determination, great defender.  You don't see any of that out of them. 

I don't think it's that strange.  Coaches who have a natural innate ability may not understand how to coach that ability.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
He, like the rest of the team, is completely one-dimensional. While Howard and Hauser can't create their own shot, play zero defense and can only hit a wide-open 3, Haanif can only drive to his left and cannot shoot from outside two feet.

Time to shake it up. DW deserves a start over HC.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »
Staying positive, still a shot. I'll be happy if we can squeak in and call it a successful season. GTown just out muscled us and played with purpose. The team just doesn't have the necessary DNA to compete as a small lineup defensively. It can be done (2009 and lots of other years), just don't think it's in these guys. Offense is clicking or it's lights out. Per the comment above, I think it takes a special coach and players with the right chips on their shoulders to get that Wojo the player tenacity. Creating it for an entire team is even more of a task.

A week to figure it out. Big week for Wojo.  Going to be 18k+ on Saturday night. They better bring it or else more important people will be complaining.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »

Because it has worked for them before.  Hiring mid major coaches hasn't.

I don't think Dukiet (St. Peter's) and Deane (Sienna) were from what would even be considered  mid-majors. More like small-time colleges in low-level conferences. Instead of settling for a rookie head coach and hoping to get lucky, I'd like to see us recruit a successful coach from a real mid-major.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »
I don't think Dukiet (St. Peter's) and Deane (Sienna) were from what would even be considered  mid-majors. More like small-time colleges in low-level conferences. Instead of settling for a rookie head coach and hoping to get lucky, I'd like to see us recruit a successful coach from a real mid-major.

That's fair. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
This is a shoot first, defensively soft team.  It is easy to be critical, particularly after a game like today, but I do not see any options. 
Luke is not getting quicker.
JjJ is not getting smarter.
Markus and Andrew aren't growing.
Sam isn't getting stronger until the off-season.
The only two things that can realistically change is for Duane to play every minute like he did in the second half today and for HC to find his confidence.

This year, the only hope is to outshoot the opponent.  And the other coaches know it and are staying put on the arc.

I'm not pleased, but I don't see options
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:25:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
What's a real mid-major?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
Start Duane over jj.  Duane and hc will be here next year.  JJ will not.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
This is a shoot first, defensively soft team.  It is easy to be critical, particularly after a game like today, but I do not see any options. 
Luke is not getting quicker.
JjJ is not getting smarter.
Markus and Andrew aren't growing.
Sam isn't getting stronger until the off-season.
The only two things that can realistically change is for Duane to play every minute like he did in the second half today and for HC to find his confidence.

This year, the only hope is to outshoot the opponent.  And the other coaches know it and are staying put on the arc.

I'm not pleased, but I don't see options
I agree it's easy to point to the glaring deficiencies and conclude there's nothing a coach can do, but do you believe coaching doesn't contribute to this product? I just don't believe that. Why is the team defensively soft for example?

I honestly believe there are other coaches that given this same roster would have this team playing much better
No Finish Line

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »

feedback