[June 07, 2024, 09:53:13 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya hooie  (Read 11554 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Hoya hooie
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
I've said it before but Chicos and others hinted that he was 'never considered': I think Gregg Marshall would do wonders at MU.  While a complete pretty boy, the dude is an absolute winner and would bring us right back into national relevance IMO.

Have heard from several people that Marshall has a pretty terrible reputation as a human being. He's not still at Wichita State because he loves the view of the cornfields from his window.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:13:36 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
I think the good Dr. makes a great point. Our record right now cannot be that far from any reasonable preseason expectations. The Creighton and Villanova games raised those expectations so the drop seems more precipitous than it actually is compared to preseason expectations. We are tied for fifth in the league and the Big East is going to get at least 5 bids so we still control our own destiny. Of course getting our butts kicked by the Hoyas and the Johnnies was no fun and trending down as the season comes to a close is concerning. But Brew has been persistent about the bubble being soft and from everything I can see he remains correct. It's now up to Wojo and the boys to turn this around in a week. Let's keep it positive and see how they do.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
Woof. Swept in all four factors this game.

eFG%
MU 44.5%
GT 59.3%

TO%
MU 15.8%
GT 13.5%

OR%
MU 16.2%
GT 26.7%

FTR
MU 36.4%
GT 46.3%
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »
Let's take this next week serious. Huge game, hope we can turn the season around

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2017, 05:24:09 AM »
Let's take this next week serious. Huge game, hope we can turn the season around

Pretty sure it's not us that needs to take it serious.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 06:21:06 AM »
So is KenPom an idiot? He has as a top 45 team. Not great but pretty solid.

I see Marquette's RPI is now at 84. It makes me curious if there are other teams with around 40 spot differentials between the two. Interesting nonetheless.

Start Duane over jj.  Duane and hc will be here next year.  JJ will not.

I sure hope so

🏀

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
Pretty sure it's not us that needs to take it serious.

Lock it up brew, need to focus on X or coach is going to take our Samsungs and give us  BlackBerrys.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
VCU is a real mid-major. And Texas "stole" the coach we at Marquette HAD to have.

Said coach has "led" the Longhorns to a 10-14 record. And as I write this, they are about a half-hour from falling to 10-15.

This will be my last comment of the weekend. At least 50% of those posting today were nowhere to be found when we were beating Creighton and Nova. They only like coming to Scoop when they can beyotch and whine and moan. Fire Wojo; Luke sucks; get rid of all the seniors; we're doomed for years; blah blah effen blah.

What a sad way to live.

Have a nice weekend, everybody!

It's not apples to apples.  If he had come to Marquette he would have access to Marquette resources, be at a non-football school, be in Milwaukee (i.e., closer to Chicago) vs Austin, etc.

Maybe Shaka is a terrible coach and he was merely lucky all of those years at VCU.  The fact that he has yet to accomplish anything at Texas is at least some evidence that he is overrated as a coach.  Nevertheless, I don't think his underwhelming performance at Texas is as strong of evidence that he is an overrated coach as you seem to think.

Simply put, you are taking Texas's performance as the counterfactual path that MU would be on.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
It's not apples to apples.  If he had come to Marquette he would have access to Marquette resources, be at a non-football school, be in Milwaukee (i.e., closer to Chicago) vs Austin, etc.

Maybe Shaka is a terrible coach and he was merely lucky all of those years at VCU.  The fact that he has yet to accomplish anything at Texas is at least some evidence that he is overrated as a coach.  Nevertheless, I don't think his underwhelming performance at Texas is as strong of evidence that he is an overrated coach as you seem to think.

Simply put, you are taking Texas's performance as the counterfactual path that MU would be on.

Texas' resources make Marquette's look dinky.  And the state of Texas has plenty of basketball talent. 

I agree with your overall point, but these two issue are simply not factors.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Xavier is down and out. Got blown out at home while Bluiett reinjured his ankle today.  18,000 in the seats.  A week to regroup, some time for the freshmen to scale that wall, and a chance for this coaching staff to test their mettle. I am optimistic.

My expectations are where they were preseason:  9-9 in the Big East and wishing to be on the bubble.  We all knew this team preseason was a bunch of misfit toys.  That rebounding with Henry gone without a replacement would be an issue.  This is an urban league and you need athletes to compete, which are not on this roster. That this team was going to win games by only shooting lights out, which they have, and they have exceeded my expectations. Win by the shot, lose by the shot.

On the down side, I was expecting average defense, not the worst MU defense in my lifetime. My critique preseason still stands: That Wojo has wasted time and resources (with open holes) by not getting his guys in here from the get go.  It shows here deeply as the season plays out. Losing the last two games was not the disappointment, but losing them with that effort was.

One week for the litmus test to prove this team and coaching staff can break through the proverbial wall here.  Xavier is a vulnerable opponent.  I am feeling a victory here to propel MU to the end of the season.  Get the line up on the floor that gives you the best chance to win today. Make a statement to you and your fans.

This pretty much sums it up... Hoping they find something this week. 

Recruiting wise, wouldn't change much, would have been nice to figure out the Cohen and Carter transfers earlier and take some more specialized/defensive projects. Cohen and Carter weren't great offensive players, but you could argue they would have been the 2 best defenders at their positions. Honestly think Carter may have gotten about equal playing time as the season shook out.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
I see Marquette's RPI is now at 84. It makes me curious if there are other teams with around 40 spot differentials between the two. Interesting nonetheless.

I sure hope so

Of course. They are very different measurements. RPI is barbaric and stupid, and attempts to rank based on what has happened, period. KenPom is a predictive ranking system.

I just ran the numbers quickly... of 351 teams, 49 of them have a difference of 40 or more between RPI and KenPom. So, yeah, not unusual.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »

Texas' resources make Marquette's look dinky.  And the state of Texas has plenty of basketball talent. 

If you mean the total resources, then yes of course.  I was referring to the resources available for the basketball program.  A long time ago, I remember that MU was number 2 in the nation (second only to Duke) in spending on basketball (though I don't remember the exact measure). 

In other words, in absolute numbers, I bet MU spends more on its BB program than Texas spends on its bball program.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »

Texas' resources make Marquette's look dinky. And the state of Texas has plenty of basketball talent.

This is true (sup, JFB).  But all else equal I think I'd rather have Milwaukee plus a six-hour radius than Austin plus a six-hour radius with regards to bball recruiting

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
If you mean the total resources, then yes of course.  I was referring to the resources available for the basketball program.  A long time ago, I remember that MU was number 2 in the nation (second only to Duke) in spending on basketball (though I don't remember the exact measure). 

In other words, in absolute numbers, I bet MU spends more on its BB program than Texas spends on its bball program.

Made up numbers with inconsistent allocation methods. In other words, what you read was nonsense.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »

Please stop trotting out the #2 in the nation figure.  Yes Marquette spends money on hoops.  But Jaybee is right.  It isn't an apples to apples comparison. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Made up numbers with inconsistent allocation methods. In other words, what you read was nonsense.

My guess is the reason for those numbers is because of things that we spend money on specifically for basketball that other programs have as by-products of larger athletic programs. So the new state of the art workout facility at Marquette is considered a basketball expenditure, at Texas it's a football expenditure (but still used by the basketball program).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.