[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129069 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7750 on: July 30, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »
Elections have consequences. Herman earned his spot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:24:03 AM by GB Warrior »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7751 on: July 30, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
Likely caught Covid going to the Trump rally in Tulsa. Didn’t wear a mask.

Another completely avoidable death Trump bears responsibility for and will not care about.
IIRC, he was actually not feeling a few days before the rally, but chose to show up anyway...unmasked...not social distancing. Let's hope he didn't take down others with him.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7752 on: July 30, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
I suspect Herman hasn't been running his own twitter account in recent days, if ever.
Though I suppose there is some irony in the fact that the people he entrusted to run his social media played down the disease as he laid in a hospital dying from it.

Let's just say, "He's not the only one."

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7753 on: July 30, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
As I predicted a week or two ago, deaths are now skyrocketing. It’s gonna get worse. And then schools will open.

As I said yesterday, buckle up.

Deaths are up but to explain it as skyrocketing is a bit extreme.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7754 on: July 30, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
As I predicted a week or two ago, deaths are now skyrocketing. It’s gonna get worse. And then schools will open.

As I said yesterday, buckle up.

Skyrocketing? According to what? The trend isn’t going down and that’s concerning. And it’s definitely rising in some places, but I don’t see the need for hyperbole here. Things are concerning and caution worthy enough without that sort of exaggeration.

If the death counts spiked over 2000 per day, I could see that label, but it’s not as of yet. With Arizona and Texas on new case downtrends, let’s hope it doesn’t get there.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7755 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
Skyrocketing? According to what? The trend isn’t going down and that’s concerning. And it’s definitely rising in some places, but I don’t see the need for hyperbole here. Things are concerning and caution worthy enough without that sort of exaggeration.

If the death counts spiked over 2000 per day, I could see that label, but it’s not as of yet. With Arizona and Texas on new case downtrends, let’s hope it doesn’t get there.

👏👏👏👏👏 hyperbole helps nothing. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7756 on: July 30, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »

There is an ~ 28 day lag between cases and deaths. IMO, just project the cases out 4 weeks and you should be able to predict the trend, if not the absolute magnitude (thanks to improving treatments).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:43:45 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7757 on: July 30, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
There is an ~ 28 day lag between cases and deaths. IMO, just project the cases out 4 weeks and you should be able to predict the trend, if not the absolute magnitude (thanks to improving treatments).

I understand. But that’s not what a was responding to. I’ve looked at various trend lines and haven’t seen anything to suggest a “skyrocketing” now or in the near term. I’m not denying an uptrend, let’s make that clear, was purely responding to hyperbole.  Rolling 7 day hospitalization trends falling in Arizona for the last 2-3 weeks, Texas for the last week plus, make me think that daily totals may continue to rise for another week or so, but I don’t expect “skyrocketing” numbers over 2000 a day like I mentioned.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7758 on: July 30, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »
I understand. But that’s not what a was responding to. I’ve looked at various trend lines and haven’t seen anything to suggest a “skyrocketing” now or in the near term. I’m not denying an uptrend, let’s make that clear, was purely responding to hyperbole.  Rolling 7 day hospitalization trends falling in Arizona for the last 2-3 weeks, Texas for the last week plus, make me think that daily totals may continue to rise for another week or so, but I don’t expect “skyrocketing” numbers over 2000 a day like I mentioned.

I mean it's all relative.  On July 6 the 7 day avg US deaths was 520, as of yesterday that number is 1022.  Doubling in 23 days is really bad.  Not far from skyrocketing...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7759 on: July 30, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
You guys discussing 'skyrocketing' reminds me of the circular, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7760 on: July 30, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
You guys discussing 'skyrocketing' reminds me of the circular, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Exactly

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7761 on: July 30, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
I mean it's all relative.  On July 6 the 7 day avg US deaths was 520, as of yesterday that number is 1022.  Doubling in 23 days is really bad.  Not far from skyrocketing...

Going from 520 to 1022 in less than a month is skyrocketing in my book, especially since we could have prevented the increase if we had actually followed the initial CDC guidelines on reopening. Not every death is preventable - other countries have proven that - but the rapid doubling caused by an impatient reopening and a petulant populace most certainly was preventable.

And let's all remember - the summer was supposed to be relatively calm before schools (maybe) opened up, flu season starts again, etc. Buckle up, folks.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7762 on: July 30, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »

Going from 520 to 1022 in less than a month is skyrocketing in my book, especially since we could have prevented the increase if we had actually followed the initial CDC guidelines on reopening. Not every death is preventable - other countries have proven that - but the rapid doubling caused by an impatient reopening and a petulant populace most certainly was preventable.

And let's all remember - the summer was supposed to be relatively calm before schools (maybe) opened up, flu season starts again, etc. Buckle up, folks.

This is still the scary part. We had hospital inundated right now. And honestly, the COVID case load wasn't that extreme. If things ramp up in winter, and we have even a mild flu season, our hospital systems will be well beyond capacity.

That is why schools being open is particularly troublesome, especially higher ed. Although those under 25 do tend to survive, they still do require hospitalization and stress resources. A rise in cases due to schools, could break the system on its own.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7763 on: July 30, 2020, 03:58:59 PM »
EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET A FLU SHOT THIS YEAR

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7764 on: July 30, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET A FLU SHOT THIS YEAR
Yeah, I normally don't get one, never had the flu. I am getting one this year!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7765 on: July 30, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
This is still the scary part. We had hospital inundated right now. And honestly, the COVID case load wasn't that extreme. If things ramp up in winter, and we have even a mild flu season, our hospital systems will be well beyond capacity.

That is why schools being open is particularly troublesome, especially higher ed. Although those under 25 do tend to survive, they still do require hospitalization and stress resources. A rise in cases due to schools, could break the system on its own.

Yep, and the early research returns are that younger people spreading is hitting multigenerational homes hard, which preminently impacts PoC. In other words, music to GOP ears.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7766 on: July 30, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
Yep, and the early research returns are that younger people spreading is hitting multigenerational homes hard, which preminently impacts PoC. In other words, music to GOP ears.

So I guess this means that you and the Dems are positively giddy about all the old white people who are dying.

C’mon, man.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7767 on: July 30, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »

I’m not here to argue about hyperbole or ‘I called that’ stuff. 

I would say though a month+ ago there was a debate whether more cases mattered.  More testing, Better treatments, younger cases, earlier interventions, etc.   Watch the hospitalizations.

The reality is it was bad then and bad now.  This is a result of out of control spread which led to more cases which led to more hospitalizations which now is leading to more deaths.

Let’s learn something instead of dismissing the data and looking for the silver lining.  We need to accept that uncontrolled spread is bad for health, economy, education and all of us getting through this. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7768 on: July 30, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
[quote author=Frenns Liquor Depot

Let’s learn something instead of dismissing the data and looking for the silver lining.  We need to accept that uncontrolled spread is bad for health, economy, education and all of us getting through this.
[/quote]

While you are 100% correct, what I think we really need to learn is that everybody needs to wear a mask. That is my takeaway from the numbers.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7771 on: July 30, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #7772 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:35 AM »

sky·rock·et
/ˈskīˌräkət/
Learn to pronounce
verbinformal
gerund or present participle: skyrocketing

(of a price, rate, or amount) increase very steeply or rapidly.
    "the cost of housing has skyrocketed"

From 520-1,022 nationally in a couple of weeks? "Skyrocketing " seems to fit.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7773 on: July 31, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »
sky·rock·et
/ˈskīˌräkət/
Learn to pronounce
verbinformal
gerund or present participle: skyrocketing

(of a price, rate, or amount) increase very steeply or rapidly.
    "the cost of housing has skyrocketed"

From 520-1,022 nationally in a couple of weeks? "Skyrocketing " seems to fit.

I guess it depends on the denominator. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7774 on: July 31, 2020, 09:49:22 AM »
I didn’t mean to start a huge discussion when I said deaths were going to skyrocket. Based on what I read, I felt we were approaching a time when deaths were going to go up dramatically - doubling or more from the level it was at when I wrote the post.

Maybe a bit too much “drama queen” to my post, but with 153,000+ deaths and a Fed that doesn’t want to be bothered anymore, someone (or millions of someones) needs to be screaming from the rooftops.

I relish the opportunity to do it.

feedback