[Today at 01:13:53 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 50238 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: UCLA
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »
lol...chalking up UVA's colossal failure last year to bad luck is hilarious.

Who said anything about luck, good or bad variety?  In a one game scenario anything can happen.  Anything.  The best team doesn’t always win, and the best team often doesn’t win the championship.  Wojo is getting a raise for putting us in position to play for runs in the NCAA tournament, but success there requires a lot of things to happen.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

burger

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
WOJO just needs to ask Crean.....

These days .....Crean says.....Should not have left Marquette......Because the grass is not greener on the other side.....

First time he has a team that struggles......He will looking at the Stars on the Hollywood walk of Fame....

Same deal as Indiana.....Just warmer and sunnier......

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
According to thus article. We are a Mid-Major and Cleary Wojo should leave.
https://dailybruin.com/2019/01/25/un-connon-opinions-best-bet-for-mens-basketball-coach-might-be-overlooked-amid-lackluster-prospects/
Why do I do this to myself lol.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
Why is his name even on that list? this stuff is just annoying as it seems to imply Marquette is some mid major stepping stone program that clearly should be left if some power 5 comes calling..Just non-sense. Why are we also thrown into the same pool of lesser programs like Cincy and Houston? With those programs entertaining UCLA would make sense, But not MUs program. Better in every aspect. Wojo to UCLA would be at best a lateral move.

Playing the ignorance card again, I see.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
Playing the ignorance card again, I see.
ok BARELY lesser program Cincy.. you know f you fine. Equal program Cincy.. :)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
WOJO just needs to ask Crean.....

These days .....Crean says.....Should not have left Marquette......Because the grass is not greener on the other side.....

First time he has a team that struggles......He will looking at the Stars on the Hollywood walk of Fame....

Same deal as Indiana.....Just warmer and sunnier......

yeah but, as soon as the rumor goes out that crean is signing, half the team will be running to get their transfer papers.  school better have a lot of patience

hey!  what about La Var "just give me the" ball ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
Lifestyle is totally different in La,La Land, brother lives in a mobile home for 2.6M, Wojo’s House is maybe a 1 million to 1.3M, which is very nice. For that kind of money in LA you now get a dump.  Unless there throwing in a 5M dollar house, not worth the move. Pauley is a dump compared to the Fiserv as well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »
Was talking to a parent of a kid being recruited by MU. The Parent loves MU but  was worried that Wojo would leave for Duke to replace Coack K.  I guess the UCLA rumors will just add fuel to that fire.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:44:50 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Was talking to a parent of a kid being recruited by MU. The Parent loves MU but  was worried that Wojo would leave for Duke to replace Wojo. I guess the UCLA rumors will just add fuel to that fire.
Wojo is going to replace himself at duke. Interesting

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »
Fiscal 2016: $1,740,964 salary, $34,500 bonus/incentive, $51,111 non-taxable benefits (total: $1,826,575)

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/390806251_201706_990_2018072615536984.pdf

However, that's simply his compensation from MU.  It does not include any side deals he negotiates, e.g. endorsements, appearances/speaking engagements, multi-level marketing sales, buying and selling on Poshmark, etc.

Not to mention his Uber driving in the off-season.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 05:40:24 PM »
Lifestyle is totally different in La,La Land, brother lives in a mobile home for 2.6M, Wojo’s House is maybe a 1 million to 1.3M, which is very nice. For that kind of money in LA you now get a dump.  Unless there throwing in a 5M dollar house, not worth the move. Pauley is a dump compared to the Fiserv as well.

1.3M will get you get you something nice if you are willing to drive.  By UCLA’s campus, it will be average at best.  It’s why people are fleeing the state in droves.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
Great to have our coach's name mentioned again!  Means we are doing well!

Other names being considered at UCLA include former Chicago Bulls and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg, Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin, Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski and Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

Oh for Chrissakes man not this!

It took me 5 years to fully warm up to the guy and now this stuff. Why must you torment me coaching carousel, why?

PS- I give Wojo an A so far this yr, and I’m sure I’m not alone. I give Markus major credit for possibly saving his job at MU, as I think he should as well. Yes I know he’s recruited a lot of other good players as well but y’all know what I’m saying.

Besides all that he just seems like a different man this season. There are so many things I find myself liking about him more and more. I guess winning will do that, it cures all angers/stresses. He just seems so much more composed, calm, collected while still showing that fire. I think it resonates with his team, I don’t sense that unhinged stress that I’ve sensed in the past.

He’s got guys that don’t get a single minute of action for a full month going out there and busting their chops for him. Guys that are out for the season completely in the game and appearing to be best friends w the walkons. It’s just great to see.

Stan deserves a big honorable mention here. He brought Markus into the program and the rapport just seems impeccable every step of the way. I’ll never forget the way he hugged Markus after Marquette pulled out a tough one over UL at the Barclays- my wife actually noticed because I pointed out who stan was at the game because his family was on the bus next to us. That embrace seems like it lifted Markus up so much going forward
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:45:24 PM by DoctorV »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Was talking to a parent of a kid being recruited by MU. The Parent loves MU but  was worried that Wojo would leave for Duke to replace Wojo. I guess the UCLA rumors will just add fuel to that fire.

If I were Duke I would go after Brad Stevens or someone with a track record.  Tough to follow a legend unless you are a legend already.  Stew Morrill baby!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Wojo is going to replace himself at duke. Interesting
Good catch Johnny. Correction Noted.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
Oh for Chrissakes man not this!

It took me 5 years to fully warm up to the guy and now this stuff. Why must you torment me coaching carousel, why?

PS- I give Wojo an A so far this yr, and I’m sure I’m not alone. I give Markus major credit for possibly saving his job at MU, as I think he should as well. Yes I know he’s recruited a lot of other good players as well but y’all know what I’m saying.

Besides all that he just seems like a different man this season. There are so many things I find myself liking about him more and more. I guess winning will do that, it cures all angers/stresses. He just seems so much more composed, calm, collected while still showing that fire. I think it resonates with his team, I don’t sense that unhinged stress that I’ve sensed in the past.

He’s got guys that don’t get a single minute of action for a full month going out there and busting their chops for him. Guys that are out for the season completely in the game and appearing to be best friends w the walkons. It’s just great to see.

Stan deserves a big honorable mention here. He brought Markus into the program and the rapport just seems impeccable every step of the way. I’ll never forget the way he hugged Markus after Marquette pulled out a tough one over UL at the Barclays- my wife actually noticed because I pointed out who stan was at the game because his family was on the bus next to us. That embrace seems like it lifted Markus up so much going forward

Mind games

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
I immediately thought of Wojo when the UCLA job opened up. I have no idea, if either side is really interested. However, I think any coach following Coach K at Duke is doomed to failure. Much better to go to a once elite that is currently down, than to replace a legend like K.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
Flying SWA blows donkey balls, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
Mind games

I’d call it motivation to get someone to compete and play up to their potential.

Potatoes potahtoes

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 06:07:39 PM »
This came up in a previous thread, I think based off of the radio show where Coach K called in.  Based on that conversation, I think that there are certainly reasons why Wojo would only seriously consider Duke and a few other programs.

1. He clearly adores Coach K, and I think Coach K has provided a pretty good model of how to be successful--stick with one place and develop excellence there.
2. Coach K clearly admired Marquette, and saw some of the same positives that Duke had at Marquette.  Coach K made some comments that Wojo had received previous HC offers, but that Marquette was the first that he really thought was the right opportunity and fit for Wojo.
3. Look where a lot of Coach K's assistants have taken jobs at--Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, Seton Hall, Harvard.  They are mostly private schools, and most don't have traditionally dominant football programs; not dissimilar to Duke, or Marquette for that matter.
4. Tradition also seems to matter to both Coach K and Wojo, and Marquette was attractive for that reason.
5. Hand-in-hand with #4 is a good track record of fan support--I think with the rebuilding this is something that is still coming back, but the ability to fill at 17,000 person arena counts for something. 
6. Values matter.  Family matters. 

All told, after hearing that interview I felt it is much more likely that as long as things are going well at MU there are only a few programs that Wojo might bolt for, focusing mostly on prestigious private schools with strong basketball traditions and good support from the administration and community.  Beyond Duke, there are only a few places that really tick off those boxes. 

Now, if the situation here sours, or he feels like he has hit a ceiling, then maybe he'll start getting anxious.  But, as long as he feels like he can keep bringing in top talent and has good support to run his program, I think he'll stick around for a while--until Duke (or maybe a handful of other places) calls.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »
You look at all the great coaches, once they left, it is almost impossible to keep those high standards.  Hank, many replacements before Cal, Wooden, Knight all seem to fail. Better to stay put if you have a good thing going. 2020 will tell Wojo if he can recruit a handful of top 100 kids.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »
You look at all the great coaches, once they left, it is almost impossible to keep those high standards.  Hank, many replacements before Cal, Wooden, Knight all seem to fail. Better to stay put if you have a good thing going. 2020 will tell Wojo if he can recruit a handful of top 100 kids.

Harder to land recruits when rumours that the coach could bolt any year a circling around. Just a sheet show

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »

shame he's never shown us a handful of top 100 recruits yet. Sandy, Henry, Haanif, Markus, Sam, Brendan, Joey, Cain ( not unanimous but still according to 247 he was no 100)
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
Hmm....surprised Jay Wright was not on that list with 2 NCs under his belt if UCLA is serious about hiring a top coach. Clickbait article IMHO.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Hmm....surprised Jay Wright was not on that list with 2 NCs under his belt if UCLA is serious about hiring a top coach. Clickbait article IMHO.

They tried last time with Jay and he said no.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
Jay Wright? Cmon