2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 50559 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: UCLA
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »
Obnoxious we were called mid major. Twitter army attack!
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »
Correct, regardless of how we got here or the process.....the fact that the top of the org chart is a relatively well oiled machine as opposed to the raging $hit$how it's been in the past has to people with confidence and we are starting to see that manifest itself on the court.

Have to say, I haven't been this confident in the direction of the program in like 10 years.

Only 10?  Try much longer than that.  You and I both know the difference of opinion Williams had with essentially all his superiors, almost from day 1.  They bit their tongue because of the success.  Some will argue they sold their soul.  Ultimately, there was a threshold and fortunately we didn't pay a buyout.  Crean's relationship was 'different' but also somewhat challenged.  And before him, Deane simply didn't understand that he was expected to actually win.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »
Nope, they just got beat.  Just like DePaul beat Buzz’s team, just like Crean’s teams lost to some opponents they shouldn’t have.  It happens in 1 game and advance situations. This isn’t best of 7, or even best of 3.  Mercer beating Duke....could play 100 times and Duke wins 97 of them, but all it takes is one.

Not sure why this is hard for you to this day to process.  Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament...anything...the best team doesn’t always win.  You think if UVA played UMBC 10 times they wouldn’t win 9 of them?  Your gambling friends will say that. KenPom will say that, every expert will say that, but it doesn’t prevent it from still being a possibility.

Nothing to do with bad luck, bad matchup...sometimes a team doesn’t play well.  Pretty simple.

Tony Bennett has been an excellent regular season coach at UVA - and a disaster in the tournament. As a #1 seed he's lost to a #4, a #10 and a #16. He's also lost as a #2 to a #7, a #5 to a #4 and a #10 to a #7. His teams have averaged 52 points in these games and have lost by an average margin of more than 14 points. "Sometimes a team doesn't play well"? LOL. You think it's a coincidence that some teams/coaches play their best basketball in March and others underperform - and that it's all one big crapshoot (which is a synonym for luck). Nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:11:37 AM by Lennys Tap »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »

You must be hard headed. As I stated it’s happened one time in history in a 1v16 situation. So yea anything could happen in a 1 game situation, 1 time in over 100 tries.

You’ve had a relentless day, it’s almost impressive

Yes, and it happened recently....less than a year ago.  Point remains anything can happen, especially since we aren’t going to be a 1 seed and the rate of upset goes up.

Furthermore, go back to prior to seeding and our own Warriors lost to Miami (OH) in the first round that some will say was equivalent of that upset.  Less teams back then, but a major upset.  There have also been close calls with Georgetown and Oklahoma each winning by 1, and others winning barely in that top seeded position ( MSU needing OT). 

20% of the time a 4 knocks off a 13, over 15% of the time a 3 beats a 14.  People act as if the top seeds are preordained and best teams always win...they don’t.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
Tony Bennett has been an excellent regular season coach at UVA - and a disaster in the tournament. As a #1 seed he's lost to a #4, a #10 and a #16. He's also lost as a #2 to a #7, a #5 to a #4 and a #10 to a #7. His teams have averaged 52 points in these games and have lost by an average margin of more than 14 points. "Sometimes a team doesn't play well"? LOL. You think it's a coincidence that some teams/coaches play their best basketball in March and others underperform - and that it's all one big crapshoot (which is a synonym for luck). Nonsense.

I go on what experts say, which excludes you.  Even Hall of Fame coaches like Bob Knigh, Coach K, Boeheim, Lute Olson, Izzo, etc have lost in the first round to very low seeds....did they forget to coach that day?  Nonsense.  Of course they didn’t.  Coach K forgot how to beat Lehigh or Mercer?  Lol.  Yes, even the all time greats in this format get bit early by teams they shouldn’t lose to.  Crapshoot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:41:50 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
I am to lazy to look. what is tony bennett's overall record in tourney games.  What is his record in regular season? What is his record in these to areas as a favorite, as an underdog?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
I am to lazy to look. what is tony bennett's overall record in tourney games.  What is his record in regular season? What is his record in these to areas as a favorite, as an underdog?

He is 10-8 in NCAA games.  Don’t have the other info.

He is three time Henry Iba winner, two time national coach of the year, 3 time ACC coach of year, one time PAC 12 coach of year. The man can coach and didn’t forget how in March, which is why it is ludicrous for some people to deny the reality of the NCAA tournament and the carnage it creates on even the best.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
I think Bennett is a very good coach. But will his slow pace play well in "Showtime" LA?

Howland turned Pitt from a nothing to a legit power in the BE. But at UCLA, he ultimately got run out of town because his gritty D-first style didn't play well in LA, so he caved to demands of wealthy donors to recruit kids he didn't really want. The result was a train wreck.

I could see the same thing happening to Bennett....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »
UCLA got rid of Howland in part because some people, such as Bill Walton, criticized his deliberate style of play.  And now they want to hire Tony Bennett?

I think he would be an odd fit. He is a good coach and has Pac 12 experience however. And my understanding is that he's not very happy in Charlottesville.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
Only 10?  Try much longer than that.  You and I both know the difference of opinion Williams had with essentially all his superiors, almost from day 1.  They bit their tongue because of the success.  Some will argue they sold their soul.  Ultimately, there was a threshold and fortunately we didn't pay a buyout.  Crean's relationship was 'different' but also somewhat challenged.  And before him, Deane simply didn't understand that he was expected to actually win.

I only care about dysfunction if it's resulting in bad results per se. I've been parts of lots of orgs that had dysfunctional management but it worked because of or in spite of it.

Even with the early dysfunction of the Williams era, the on the court performance and the fact that nothing seemed glaring long term as a negative I thought we were in for a fun, long ride. Obviously that all changed when some glaringly ugly dysfunctional stuff happened but I couldn't see that coming.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
Dysfunctional organizations can only succeed in the short-term. Eventually it falls apart. It was a fun ride, but I can see why it wasn't long in retrospect.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:45 AM »
UCLA got rid of Howland in part because some people, such as Bill Walton, criticized his deliberate style of play.  And now they want to hire Tony Bennett?

I think he would be an odd fit. He is a good coach and has Pac 12 experience however. And my understanding is that he's not very happy in Charlottesville.

That was part of it, but they also got splashed with some very unbecoming press in SI and the LA Times that roiled many alumni.  That didn’t bode well when the Final Fours stopped.  Star players like Westbrook complained that they were being held in check to not showcase their talents....individuals over team.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
Dysfunctional organizations can only succeed in the short-term. Eventually it falls apart. It was a fun ride, but I can see why it wasn't long in retrospect.

Don't disagree....but there is dysfunctional and then there is what turns out to be Buzz, Larry, Pilarz dysfunction. That turned out to be a stupefying level of dysfunction that took a couple of years to reveal itself.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
Considering how long Wojo waited for his first HC gig, I'd think him leaving for UCLA would be an embarrassment at this point. Maybe more so than Va Tech was. Their league is trash, their facilities aren't great, their flight situation is bad, and what they pay compared to cost of living isn't good either.

Honestly, I think we have the better job and it's not really close. I do think they'll get a recognizable name, but have a hard time believing anyone will leave anywhere considered to be a good job for UCLA. I think the biggest sitting coach they'll have a real shot at is Musselman. No chance Bennett goes there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
Has Pitino's name been thrown in yet?  I imagine he would take it in a heartbeat, and UCLA seems like the kind of program that would overlook past indiscretions.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »
Considering how long Wojo waited for his first HC gig, I'd think him leaving for UCLA would be an embarrassment at this point. Maybe more so than Va Tech was. Their league is trash, their facilities aren't great, their flight situation is bad, and what they pay compared to cost of living isn't good either.

Honestly, I think we have the better job and it's not really close. I do think they'll get a recognizable name, but have a hard time believing anyone will leave anywhere considered to be a good job for UCLA. I think the biggest sitting coach they'll have a real shot at is Musselman. No chance Bennett goes there.

UCLA opened a brand new basketball practice facility last year that is excellent, cost about $50M.  Pauley Pavillion was renovated a few years ago, is central to campus.  Certainly not a NBA arena, but the pros practice pickup games often in the offseason.

The league is definitely trash.  Brand is a problem, network a bigger problem.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »

You must be hard headed.

From where I'm sitting, you seem to be the hard headed one this time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »
However, I think any coach following Coach K at Duke is doomed to failure. Much better to go to a once elite that is currently down, than to replace a legend like K.

It's better to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the legend.

Someone (presumably from the Coach K tree) will take the Duke job after Coach K and there will be an inevitable drop off and failure to live up to the prior standard.  Then someone else from the Coach K tree will come in restore the program to its former glory.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
Don't disagree....but there is dysfunctional and then there is what turns out to be Buzz, Larry, Pilarz dysfunction. That turned out to be a stupefying level of dysfunction that took a couple of years to reveal itself.

Of course the worst dysfunction was Fr. Pilarz, but I'm way off topic.  Nothing else was even close.  Da*n the Board for holding to their 'Jesuit only' rule one iteration too long.  BTW, Owen Sullivan is a rock star.  We are in very capable hands these days.  IDK if any of you have interacted with him but what a pro.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »
It's better to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the legend.

Someone (presumably from the Coach K tree) will take the Duke job after Coach K and there will be an inevitable drop off and failure to live up to the prior standard.  Then someone else from the Coach K tree will come in restore the program to its former glory.

Totally agree with StillA.  And if I'm Duke, I absolutely try to go outside the family tree to at least give the new guy a fighting chance to succeed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:36 AM »
Totally agree with StillA.  And if I'm Duke, I absolutely try to go outside the family tree to at least give the new guy a fighting chance to succeed.

Brad Stevens

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
Brad Stevens

Certainly worth a look. I still don't think he comes back to college coaching, though.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Any shots Cheeks we'll ever see the Pac 10 Network on DirecTV?
GO WARRIORS!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
UCLA can't afford Brad Stevens. The Celtics extended his six-year, $22 million contract after just three seasons. Terms weren't disclosed. But based on other NBA coaching deals signed at the time, chances are Stevens earns somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 to $10 million a year.

Steve Alford was in his sixth year at UCLA with a seven-year, $18.2 million contract ($2.6 million per year). Plus, he's due $3.6 million as a buyout.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
UCLA can't afford Brad Stevens. The Celtics extended his six-year, $22 million contract after just three seasons. Terms weren't disclosed. But based on other NBA coaching deals signed at the time, chances are Stevens earns somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 to $10 million a year.

Steve Alford was in his sixth year at UCLA with a seven-year, $18.2 million contract ($2.6 million per year). Plus, he's due $3.6 million as a buyout.

UCLA can’t afford someone? You’re joking, right?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire