[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why all the Dayton hate?  (Read 24869 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Why all the Dayton hate?
« on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
That team has been pretty good and has even beaten us at a neutral site when our team was loaded a few years back.  They have a great fan base, they sell out their gym, and make NCAA's and NIT almost every year.   Is their something I am missing?  Bad Blood? 

Syracuse, Pitt, WVU etc... were probably feeling the same way about us when we joined the big east. 

I guess I dont see the reason for this hate  ?-(

🏀

• All American
Re: Why all the Dayton hate?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
I hate Dayton because of their fans.

They also screwed us out of a game awhile ago.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
I hate Dayton because of their fans.

They also screwed us out of a game awhile ago.

Well I hate Syracuse but I love being in a conference with them.  We have to think of what's best for Marquette and the new conference.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
Mid-major

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
Well I hate Syracuse but I love being in a conference with them.  We have to think of what's best for Marquette and the new conference.

1. Go to UDPride and report back.

2. There are better options than Dayton for the conference for many reasons.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Mid-major

This +1,0000. This HAS to be a league about the best possible Basketball teams you can find. Not about attendance or endowment or anything else. What kind of product do they put on the floor, that's what it's about. Dayton puts a crappy product on the floor. Since 1980 they have only made the NCAAs in consecutive years twice. No consistency...Xavier and Butler...they are consistently good(even though Butler missed last year), Gonzaga is consistently good. Dayton and SLU are not. Not even close.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »
This +1,0000. This HAS to be a league about the best possible Basketball teams you can find. Not about attendance or endowment or anything else. What kind of product do they put on the floor, that's what it's about. Dayton puts a crappy product on the floor. Since 1980 they have only made the NCAAs in consecutive years twice. No consistency...Xavier and Butler...they are consistently good(even though Butler missed last year), Gonzaga is consistently good. Dayton and SLU are not. Not even close.

So if this conference includes Dayton, but not Gonzaga, it is mid-major?  That makes no sense.  No conference is defined by its weakest members.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

So if this conference includes Dayton, but not Gonzaga, it is mid-major?  That makes no sense.  No conference is defined by its weakest members.

+1

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Yes. That will be the national perception. The average college BB fan recognizes the Gonzaga name by filling out tourney pools whatever or seeing their stuff in stores etc. Dayton doesn't register nationally at all. It's about perception. Image is everything with this new conference. It has to be.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
Mid-major

+1

Dayton? Che pecatto! They don't belong in the Outfit. Don 't belong in the outfit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Yes. That will be the national perception. The average college BB fan recognizes the Gonzaga name by filling out tourney pools whatever or seeing their stuff in stores etc. Dayton doesn't register nationally at all. It's about perception. Image is everything with this new conference. It has to be.

I don't give a crap what Joey Brackets thinks.  I care about what television network executives think.

The ACC isn't defined by Wake Forest.  The Big Ten isn't defined by Northwestern.  The Big 12 isn't defned by Iowa State.  The new conference wont be defined by Dayton.

connie

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
Been there--left that--don't want to go back.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
No one cares about what the other people in your office pool think.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »

+1

I put this in the other thread, applies here too ...

In 2012 the mountain west and A-10 both had 4 bids.  The ACC also had four bids while the PAC-12 had 2.

In 2011 the mountain west and A-10 both had 3 bids.  The ACC and PAC-12 both had 4 bids.

So which 2 are mid-majors and which 2 are high- majors?

Mid-major is as much a perception as it is a statistical measure.  If the C7 add mid-majors, the they will be a mid-major conference.

No to SLU and Dayton.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Annoying fans, redundant market, and only "pretty good" by the standard of being an NIT regular.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
+1

I put this in the other thread, applies here too ...

In 2012 the mountain west and A-10 both had 4 bids.  The ACC also had four bids while the PAC-12 had 2.

In 2011 the mountain west and A-10 both had 3 bids.  The ACC and PAC-12 both had 4 bids.

So which 2 are mid-majors and which 2 are high- majors?

Mid-major is as much a perception as it is a statistical measure.  If the C7 add mid-majors, the they will be a mid-major conference.

So what you are saying is that the selection committee doesn't care about these labels.  Then why should we care?

Again, this will be the best basketball conference that doesn't sponsor football. 

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »

I don't give a crap what Joey Brackets thinks.  I care about what television network executives think.

The ACC isn't defined by Wake Forest.  The Big Ten isn't defined by Northwestern.  The Big 12 isn't defned by Iowa State.  The new conference wont be defined by Dayton.

But I care what the 17 year old 4 star thinks about having Dayton and Richmond on the schedule. That kid don't question any established Outfit like da B1G but he will question a new Family like we's settin up and Dayton aint the best lookin broad at da dance. Aint the best lookin broad at da dance.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
But I care what the 17 year old 4 star thinks about having Dayton and Richmond on the schedule. That kid don't question any established Outfit like da B1G but he will question a new Family like we's settin up and Dayton aint the best lookin broad at da dance. Aint the best lookin broad at da dance.

Late push for worst new poster of 2012, I like your drive.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »
Again, this will be the best basketball conference that doesn't sponsor football. 

That is what I'm afraid of!  Who holds this distinction now?  The A-10!!

This says mid-major and adding mid-majors just underscores this idea.

Why not just merge with the A-10?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
I have no hate for Dayton, I have some good friends that went there and it would be fun to have those games.  On the other hand though, I kind of agree with some of the other posts.  Dayton doesn't make a splash.  While they are pretty consistently a decent team, they are rarely a tourney team, and rarely a tourney team while playing lesser competition.  While it is easy for those on UDPride to scoff at teams like DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence, how would Dayton have looked playing against Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, GTown, UConn instead of Fordham, LaSalle, UMass, and the Bonnies?  I doubt they would be much better off, if any, than DePaul.

I think this conference needs to make an impression.  Add the highest profile, best teams possible.  When people talk about Basketball Schools, Dayton doesn't make that list, outside of Ohio anyways.  When people talk about non-football, basketball schools, Dayton doesn't make that list.  When people talk about Catholic Schools that play basketball, Dayton doesn't make that list, not until a ways down anyways.

And while it is very true that no conference is defined by its bottom teams, this conference is a bit of a different animal.  There aren't many high prestige teams here.  There are a few teams with great history that are very good right now.  There are a few with great history that are struggling, and a few with shorter histories that aren't very good.  The teams that are added to the C7 need to add strength to the schedules, prestige to the conference, name recognition to the conference, and passion.  Dayton only meets one of those.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing if they are in, they just don't add the weight that some of the other teams could.  

To me, I would love to add, X, Butler, Gonzaga, (if 10), and SMC and VCU (if 12).  I would say Dayton would be the next team on the list for me.  I also understand the logistic problems with the Zags and SMC.  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
That is what I'm afraid of!  Who holds this distinction now?  The A-10!!

This says mid-major and adding mid-majors just underscores this idea.

Why not just merge with the A-10?

Why merge when you can control everything, steal their top teams and get a TV contract that's 10 times better?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »

PTM is wrong, this makes a lot of sense.

Go over to any recruiting site and the top players will often say the are "B1G players" or "Big East players."

Who says they are a-10 players?  And how does adding Dayton get a four star player to say I'm a C7 (or whatever it is called) player?  Answer, it does not.

Add Dayton ... We would have been better to stay in a dysfunctional BE.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »
PTM is wrong, this makes a lot of sense.

Go over to any recruiting site and the top players will often say the are "B1G players" or "Big East players."

Who says they are a-10 players?  And how does adding Dayton get a four star player to say I'm a C7 (or whatever it is called) player?  Answer, it does not.

Those 'B1G Players' are really worried about Iowa or Penn State? Don't be dumb.

I don't even want Dayton, but your rational is terrible. Dayton is the LAST team I want.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:21:45 PM by PTM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
That is what I'm afraid of!  Who holds this distinction now?  The A-10!!

OK maybe we *are* mid major then.  Ever think of it that way???

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 07:39:28 PM »

False.