[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next on Mythbusters: The Baby Blue Uniforms are Bad Luck  (Read 5710 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Next on Mythbusters: The Baby Blue Uniforms are Bad Luck
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:17:37 AM »
Looks like it's actually the Navies.

Interesting Infographic:

https://twitter.com/MarquetteUnis

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Next on Mythbusters: The Baby Blue Uniforms are Bad Luck
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
Probably should have gone with the baby blues against Murray State....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Probably should have gone with the baby blues against Murray State....

That Joey poster would have looked a lot better

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
That Joey poster would have looked a lot better

Who?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 12:52:40 AM »
Yeah maybe, but they look great...

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
I don't know why people hate on the baby/championship/valor blues. I thought they looked great when they were first brought back:

I thought they looked good with the redesign:

and I thought they looked even better this year, with the addition of the subtle yellow stripes:

They're a unique look compared to the navy or white, which a lot of other schools already use.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
I don't know why people hate on the baby/championship/valor blues. I thought they looked great when they were first brought back:

and I thought they looked even better this year, with the addition of the subtle yellow stripes:

They're a unique look compared to the navy or white, which a lot of other schools already use.

I love em. Agree about the stripes though arent they white? Either way I'd snag a striped one in a heartbeat if they're on sale.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
I love em. Agree about the stripes though arent they white? Either way I'd snag a striped one in a heartbeat if they're on sale.

I thought they looked yellow on tv but now that you say that, I think they are white. Either way, a good look.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »
I think the first times baby blues were worn, people didn't like them, but eventually they've been accepted.

IIRC, in years past at least, one player gets to choose each game's color.  I'm surprised they picked white so often, it's the blandest of the bunch.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
I think the first times baby blues were worn, people didn't like them, but eventually they've been accepted.

IIRC, in years past at least, one player gets to choose each game's color.  I'm surprised they picked white so often, it's the blandest of the bunch.

I agree.  It looks like underwear.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 12:48:07 PM »
The golds have long been my favorites, but this year's striped baby blues were nice.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
ND sucks

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
The golds have long been my favorites, but this year's striped baby blues were nice.

I also like the gold. I wouldn't mind seeing them go gold/light blue as the predominant colors with the white and navy becoming the "alternates." Navy and white are way more common as uniform colors, and plus I enjoy a good color-on-color matchup -- the way USC and UCLA do in football every year.
Signature:

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
The whites are just hideous. A white uniform with black text on it. No interesting design at all. So bland and boring. Not to mention the uniform looks like a track uni. Idk why they wore it so much

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »

It almost looks yellow on the sides of the jerseys, but white on the shorts.

Funny thing about the first Valor Blue picture, that was the one they sold at the Spirit Shop but the one on the court always had block "Marquette" letters across the front. Will have to try and find a picture.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
One year is a small sample size. Would be curious to see this going back 10+ years.

Also it is skewed because the Navy is the only jersey they solely wore on the road.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »

Found it, was always strange that the other three had the rounded Marquette.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »

You're right, good catch. I actually like this one better.
Signature:

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »

Were these introduced for the 40th anniversary in 2007? Thus, the straight “Marquette” like the tuck outs? DB was after that but they stuck around for a bit. Although the women have the rounded baby blue design.

For the 100th uniforms they moved Marquette to below the number like the tuck outs.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
Were these introduced for the 40th anniversary in 2007? Thus, the straight “Marquette” like the tuck outs? DB was after that but they stuck around for a bit. Although the women have the rounded baby blue design.

For the 100th uniforms they moved Marquette to below the number like the tuck outs.

These were first introduced for the 07-08 season, along with the blue, white, and gold. And then slightly redesigned in 2011 with the elimination of the shoulder patch. I cannot find a single game photo of a baby blue with the curved logo from that time period 2007-16. Even though what you could buy had the curved logo.

I found another photo of Wesley in this design which would of had to of been 2007-08 or 08-09. Always been curious as to why one was different so if anyone has any info. If it was for any anniversary I don't remember them making a big deal out of it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 10:14:56 AM »
Here is the women's jersey

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
Why didn't we wear the grey unis this year?  I kind of like those.  All time worst was the pink ones we had for a Villanova game a few years ago.

This would be a lot more meaningful if you had a larger sample size and looked at the score variation against the KenPom projected outcome.  Just looking at wins and losses doesn't say much.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
It almost looks yellow on the sides of the jerseys, but white on the shorts.

Funny thing about the first Valor Blue picture, that was the one they sold at the Spirit Shop but the one on the court always had block "Marquette" letters across the front. Will have to try and find a picture.

They sold the block letter baby blue when they switched to Jordan from converse.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
This would be a lot more meaningful if you had a larger sample size and looked at the score variation against the KenPom projected outcome.  Just looking at wins and losses doesn't say much.

I'm going to guess the laundry color has very little tangible impact on game outcomes or player production. It's only meaningful as a fan talking point.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
I would wear a wicking polo in any of those themes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
I'm going to guess the laundry color has very little tangible impact on game outcomes or player production. It's only meaningful as a fan talking point.

We should start wearing IU shorts to truly gain an advantage: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404878
Hill and Barton (2005) showed that fighters in tae kwon do, boxing, and wrestling who wore red jerseys during the 2004 Olympic Games won more often than those wearing blue jerseys. Regarding these results, this study investigated the effects of jersey color during a combat situation on fighters' physical parameters of strength and heart rate. An artificial, experimental combat situation was created in which the color of sport attire was assigned randomly. Fourteen pairs of male athletes matched for weight, height, and age had to fight each other: once in a red jersey and once in a blue. Heart rate (before, during, and after the fight) and strength (before the fight) were tested wearing the blue and the red jerseys. Participants wearing red jerseys had significantly higher heart rates and significantly higher pre-contest values on the strength test. Results showed that participants' body functions are influenced by wearing red equipment.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
We should start wearing IU shorts to truly gain an advantage: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404878

Must be why the Hausers are transferring.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »
The proven advantage of red uniforms obviously explains all the national titles won by Coach K at Duke, John Wooden at UCLA, Jay Wright and Rollie Massimino at Nova, Roy Williams and Dean Smith at UNC, Jim Calhoun at UConn, Tom Izzo at MSU, John Calipari, Tubby Smith, Rick Pitino and Adolph Rupp at Kentucky...
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback