[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another shooting  (Read 22649 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Another shooting
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
I think sending thoughts and prayers is perfectly acceptable.

I think only sending thoughts and prayers when you have the power and privilege to help make meaningful change to ensure that less thoughts and prayers are needed in the future is unacceptable.

Check the signature. This is one of those topics where we need a little more courage and wisdom and a little less serenity.

Thanks for the wise words TAMU.

I should have used the word "only" as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Say nothing unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Hiding behind "thoughts and prayers" is cowardly.

This.

Completely agree. "Thought & prayers" is a handy excuse to make it seem like one cares while doing nothing to remedy the problem.

Caring requires action.

And this.

I think sending thoughts and prayers is perfectly acceptable.

I think only sending thoughts and prayers when you have the power and privilege to help make meaningful change to ensure that less thoughts and prayers are needed in the future is unacceptable.

Check the signature. This is one of those topics where we need a little more courage and wisdom and a little less serenity.

But also this. Here's the thing...sending thoughts and prayers is fine. Broadcasting on social media or an internet message board or to the media (for those that have that type of platform) that you are sending thoughts and prayers is unnecessary and meaningless.

If you want to send thoughts, spend time thinking about a solution that can be implemented. If you believe in prayer, then pray for the victims. But don't try to broadcast it to the world. It accomplishes nothing other than to make the thought-and-prayer-sender look like a self-serving asshat, especially in light of years of inaction while we're told to send thoughts and prayers because it's too early to talk about the tragedy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »

Here's the thing...sending thoughts and prayers is fine. Broadcasting on social media or an internet message board or to the media (for those that have that type of platform) that you are sending thoughts and prayers is unnecessary and meaningless.

If you want to send thoughts, spend time thinking about a solution that can be implemented. If you believe in prayer, then pray for the victims. But don't try to broadcast it to the world. It accomplishes nothing other than to make the thought-and-prayer-sender look like a self-serving asshat, especially in light of years of inaction while we're told to send thoughts and prayers because it's too early to talk about the tragedy.

Right on.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »
  "If you want to send thoughts, spend time thinking about a solution that can be implemented. If you believe in prayer, then pray for the victims. But don't try to broadcast it to the world. It accomplishes nothing other than to make the thought-and-prayer-sender look like a self-serving asshat, "

now we're getting somewhere-i like this! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
Takin’ it to da streets, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
This.

And this.

But also this. Here's the thing...sending thoughts and prayers is fine. Broadcasting on social media or an internet message board or to the media (for those that have that type of platform) that you are sending thoughts and prayers is unnecessary and meaningless.

All of this. Well said, brew, TAMU, brand and others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
This.

And this.

https://youtu.be/0ODeKJdhff0

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »
If he was not out on bail this would have never happened.

So what is your solution?  No one gets bail?

Cmon, we are always going to come up with some excuse or extenuating circumstance.  Look, people are going to be let out on bail.  People are going to be mentally ill.  Making it harder for them to act in a destructive manner isn't that much of a limitation.

It is bordering on disgusting that we can see models from around the world where gun violence has been limited.  Let we just sit around and say "welp, what can you do?" 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »

So what is your solution?  No one gets bail?

Cmon, we are always going to come up with some excuse or extenuating circumstance.  Look, people are going to be let out on bail.  People are going to be mentally ill.  Making it harder for them to act in a destructive manner isn't that much of a limitation.

It is bordering on disgusting that we can see models from around the world where gun violence has been limited.  Let we just sit around and say "welp, what can you do?"

Welp, for one thing we can offer thoughts and prayers.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 10:19:55 PM »
This did happen. In the 80s with AIDS. Reagan refused to acknowledge it or even mention the name - until someone he knew died.

It was only when the gay community and Libs got out into the streets that anything was done.

We need mass demonstrations weekly throughout the country. We need Lib candidates making gun control their #1 concern.

Despite the NRAs delight, most people favor something being done.
You're 100% correct and that is a great example of marginalizing a portion of the situation as an excuse to not deal with it.  With AIDS it was the people dying who were marginalized.  With mass shooting it's the people committing the atrocities i.e. they're terrorist/extremists/illegals/criminals/mentally ill/etc.

What's the tipping point to get people in the streets on this?  hopefully it has already happened and the 2018 midterms are where the peoples voice is heard. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »
This did happen. In the 80s with AIDS. Reagan refused to acknowledge it or even mention the name - until someone he knew died.

It was only when the gay community and Libs got out into the streets that anything was done.

We need mass demonstrations weekly throughout the country. We need Lib candidates making gun control their #1 concern.

Despite the NRAs delight, most people favor something being done.

this is absolutely false, and another example of the  some are more equal than others code we have here.  i am going to have to refrain from citing my sources showing why this is false as it will make this an even more political debate, piss people off,  lead to this topic getting locked down and put some at risk for getting the real ban hammer-probably me because even though someone else made it political, i would be blamed for taking the "2nd punch"  it just baffles me how some here can do this over and over without consequence, but the minute someone else(read-the "other side") intimates politics, scream bloody murder

if any of you care to see the real, true and rest of the story, just google it or pm me and i will send you the real link. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »
Oh look. Rockets playing the victim again.

You should probably try to be a little more self reflective.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »
And here we go again, the us vs them mentality you all love to show. Instead of coming together to get a real solution (and maybe some mental healthcare?) yall continue to do nothing but bicker at each other.

Shame on all of you, people are dead and you decide to attack each other. I'm sure thats what they would have all wanted, you guys at each others throats.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
Ders no cummin’ together. Knot wen ya got one side dat insists da light is red, wen clearly its green. And, den can’t get over it, even a year later, hey?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:51:28 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
And here we go again, the us vs them mentality you all love to show. Instead of coming together to get a real solution (and maybe some mental healthcare?) yall continue to do nothing but bicker at each other.

Shame on all of you, people are dead and you decide to attack each other. I'm sure thats what they would have all wanted, you guys at each others throats.

How's the weather up on that high horse?  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »

LOL.  What "real solution" is this group going to "get?" 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:25 AM »

LOL.  What "real solution" is this group going to "get?"

Thoughts and prayers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
Just waiting till thoughts and prayers becomes a cool social media hashtag like #TsNPs then we’ll really know people mean it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Ders no cummin’ together. Knot wen ya got one side dat insists da light is red, wen clearly its green. And, den can’t get over it, even a year later, hey?

Ridiculous.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
Oh look. Rockets playing the victim again.

You should probably try to be a little more self reflective.

projection much?  this seems to be all you ever have.

the truth

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
this is absolutely false, and another example of the  some are more equal than others code we have here.  i am going to have to refrain from citing my sources showing why this is false as it will make this an even more political debate, piss people off,  lead to this topic getting locked down and put some at risk for getting the real ban hammer-probably me because even though someone else made it political, i would be blamed for taking the "2nd punch"  it just baffles me how some here can do this over and over without consequence, but the minute someone else(read-the "other side") intimates politics, scream bloody murder

if any of you care to see the real, true and rest of the story, just google it or pm me and i will send you the real link.

infowars.com!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
Just waiting till thoughts and prayers becomes a cool social media hashtag like #TsNPs then we’ll really know people mean it

Or the message of a Hallmark card.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
it just baffles me how some here can do this over and over without consequence, but the minute someone else(read-the "other side") intimates politics, scream bloody murder

I have been warned, and I was given a "break" over the summer. And deservedly so

I'm an Independent who is not really on a "side" when it comes to Dems and GOP, but I obviously am anti-Orange (who of course is neither GOP nor Dem).

As has been pointed out, you do really play the victim well. I got no problem with that, though ... we all need a skill!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
projection much?  this seems to be all you ever have.

the truth

I don't act like a victim here.  I don't whine about the moderators.  I don't complain about what "side" they take.  I figure if I don't like it, I can leave. 

You choose to whine.

feedback