collapse

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90884 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
That was a great game and congrats to the Cubs.  Not to take anything away from last night but i'll also say that the Jack Morris '91 game 7 was up there.

1960 game 7 is still the gold standard.  Look it up sometime.  Pirates 10, Yankees 9, walk off home run to win World Series.  Big comebacks, bad hops, the game had everything.

1975 game 6 is the best World Series game I can remember.  Last night may have it beat, since it was similar in excitement and was a winner-take-all.

A game that people have forgotten (probably because they didn't watch it) from just a few years ago was game 6 of the 2011 World Series.  Rangers were up 3 games to 2 and scored 2 in the top of the 10th to take a 9-7 lead, but the Cards tied it in the bottom of the 10th and won 10-9 in the 11th.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:40:33 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #601 on: November 03, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »
One side note, but a small thing last night that was a huge key to the game for the Cubs.

In the bottom of the 8th, after the Davis home run and Crisp's single, Chapman was reeling.  The next batter was Yan Gomes, who is a terrible hitter and was in the game because Francona pinch ran for the starting catcher.   Gomes hit .167 in about half a seasons worth of at-bats.  Chapman missed badly for ball 1 and ball 2, making the count 2-0 with the top of the order coming up.  Gomes then proceeded to swing at two balls in the dirt and a 2-2 pitch a foot outside.  Just an atrocious, atrocious AB.  I can't believe he didn't get the take sign.  If he took the walk like he should have, there is a good chance the Indians would have taken the lead with Santana coming up.  After the inning, Chapman settled down, realized he didn't have his best fastball and worked the Indians with breaking stuff in the 9th to great effect.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #602 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
One side note, but a small thing last night that was a huge key to the game for the Cubs.

In the bottom of the 8th, after the Davis home run and Crisp's single, Chapman was reeling.  The next batter was Yan Gomes, who is a terrible hitter and was in the game because Francona pinch ran for the starting catcher.   Gomes hit .167 in about half a seasons worth of at-bats.  Chapman missed badly for ball 1 and ball 2, making the count 2-0 with the top of the order coming up.  Gomes then proceeded to swing at two balls in the dirt and a 2-2 pitch a foot outside.  Just an atrocious, atrocious AB.  I can't believe he didn't get the take sign.  If he took the walk like he should have, there is a good chance the Indians would have taken the lead with Santana coming up.  After the inning, Chapman settled down, realized he didn't have his best fastball and worked the Indians with breaking stuff in the 9th to great effect.

Interesting.... I do recall a certain All-Star catcher who nixed a trade to the Indians a little over 90 days ago.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #603 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
Interesting.... I do recall a certain All-Star catcher who nixed a trade to the Indians a little over 90 days ago.

While that is true, they got Andrew Miller after losing out on Lucroy.  I doubt they would have traded for both.  I suspect the Indians are happy with the way it worked out.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #604 on: November 03, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
Go Cubs!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #605 on: November 03, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »
It is surreal around Wrigley right now. I'm an emotional mess. It's wonderful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #606 on: November 03, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I'm with you. Blubbering like a little girl on occasion. Didn't cry when kids born, etc. Hard to explain.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #607 on: November 03, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
I remember crying when MU beat Kentucky to go the final 4.     I totally get it. 

In 2006, when the Tigers went to the world series..... in the clincher against Oakland, I almost missed the game because my wife was having issues with her pregnancy for our son.   I spent most of that afternoon and early evening in the emergency room with a crap-ton of monitors hooked up to my wife, not really caring what was going on in the ALCS game.   The only reason I knew anything is because she kept nagging me to get the score.   That year, because she was so sick with this pregnancy, she started watching baseball for the first time and became a Tiger junkie as they made their Cinderella run that year.   So, scared spitless, at her request, I kept going to get updates.   
   They finally allowed us to go home.   She didn't lose the baby.   Stopped on the way home to pick up dinner and my 11 year old daughter and got home in time for the 9th inning.    Ordonez makes contact and I am up out of my seat instantly, calling it before the announcers do.     And then bawling.     

So I can imagine how surreal and emotional it must be around Wrigley today.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:49:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #608 on: November 03, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »

This is 100000% dead on. This was where the Tribe lost the game. That was their best opportunity to win. With all that was happening, I'd have sent Crisp on the first pitch, and infinity percent had Gomes on take until you get one, probably two. No way Gomes should swing on his own there.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #609 on: November 03, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »
Had lots of Cleveland kids with us as Warriors back in the day.  Van de Motter, Prosser, Finnegan, Winings (sp), etc.  St Ed's and St. Ignatius if I recall.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #610 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
This is 100000% dead on. This was where the Tribe lost the game. That was their best opportunity to win. With all that was happening, I'd have sent Crisp on the first pitch, and infinity percent had Gomes on take until you get one, probably two. No way Gomes should swing on his own there.

If Gomes had left his bat on the bench, I'm not sure that Chapman could have thrown 3 strikes in 6 pitches at that point.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #611 on: November 03, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #612 on: November 03, 2016, 03:38:35 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
This is brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApTGkLd2hs

It didn't hit me until I saw this a couple hours ago. Harry broke me.

Wrigleyville was AMAZING last night.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #614 on: November 03, 2016, 04:48:25 PM »
Heres another one that got me. Honestly, its been just a constant day of tearing up when I see something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB0UMVTlj8

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
Heres another one that got me. Honestly, its been just a constant day of tearing up when I see something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB0UMVTlj8

Sometimes it's more than it's just a game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:11:13 PM by muwarrior69 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #616 on: November 03, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #617 on: November 03, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »
As a Yankee fan the game last night has to be one of the best, but the game the Mets played against Houston is hard to beat.

http://sabr.org/research/greatest-game-ever-played-october-15-1986

Congratulations to all the Cub fans, a really fun season.

I was at that 1986 game...best Astros game I ever saw in person.

Astros have a pretty neat footnote in 1986. In the last three regular season wins to clinch the west division (only 2 divisions back then East/West...no wild card) ....Astros got a :

1)4-0 two hitter (by Jim Deshaies- yes ...the Cubs announcer), then ...

2)6-0 one hitter (by Nolan Ryan-HOF), followed by

3) a 1-0 no hitter (by Mike Scott-1986 Cy Young)...to clinch ....clinching with a no hitter only happened this one time,ever.

....coolest three consecutive big game pitching performances I will ever see.

BTW my heartiest congrats to Cubs and the fans...this was a fun series to watch, and long suffering fans deserve the elation of this moment

ENJOY
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #619 on: November 04, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
I think the chalk writings on the outside of the Wrigley walls is one of the cooler things about this.

http://deadspin.com/this-ones-for-all-the-cubs-fans-who-didnt-live-long-eno-1788530112

My professional teams have either been good enough for most of my adult life (Packers), or just blah enough that I don't care all that much (Brewers and Bucks), so this is hard to relate to.  But I know enough Cub fans to know this is very meaningful for them. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #620 on: November 04, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
I think the chalk writings on the outside of the Wrigley walls is one of the cooler things about this.

http://deadspin.com/this-ones-for-all-the-cubs-fans-who-didnt-live-long-eno-1788530112

My professional teams have either been good enough for most of my adult life (Packers), or just blah enough that I don't care all that much (Brewers and Bucks), so this is hard to relate to.  But I know enough Cub fans to know this is very meaningful for them.

I live a block away from Wrigley and stopped to write something for my grandpa on my way to watch game 7.

Both OF walls are completely covered. It really is something special to see in person.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #621 on: November 04, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »
Lineup for Grant Park started before 4:30 this morning.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #622 on: November 04, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
I live a block away from Wrigley and stopped to write something for my grandpa on my way to watch game 7.

Both OF walls are completely covered. It really is something special to see in person.

I'm still alive but my sister put my initials up there for me. Wish I could have been there to witness the celebration firsthand.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

brandx

« Reply #623 on: November 04, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm still alive but my sister put my initials up there for me.

Check your pulse every day just to be sure.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #624 on: November 04, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
I'm still alive but my sister put my initials up there for me. Wish I could have been there to witness the celebration firsthand.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback