[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread  (Read 22424 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
Cheeks, you're obsessed with obsessing about former coaches.  It truly amazes me how much time you spend discussing former coaches at Marquette.  At least you started a thread for this one, as about 95% of the other threads get derailed into this BS.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
I took plenty at him, yup....but never said to fire him ( not for his X’s and O’s, and I don’t recall even with the Crapstorm of bad press his program unfurled did I make such a statement....maybe someone can find one). In fact, went out of my way multiple times to say don’t fire him.  That’s the difference.   Yes, glad he’s gone and there were plenty in the administration that felt and still feel that way.

You constantly harp on the "bad publicity". In a very localized small area(ie the MU community) they got bad publicity, but you make it sound so bad, that there was bad publicity nationally. Not even close...no one outside of the general area knew, or even cared. It's not like National radio shows were talking about it, it's not like people in Tennessee or Texas knew about it, or much less cared. I mean the only reason people even remember it now, is because you keep bringing it up..It was a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things...I mean the University got worse publicity for firing McAdams for essentially nothing...and that was even talked about nationally at times..The whole Buzz/rape ALLEGATION thing...not even close.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
Since there are those with a Marquette education that apparently cannot read context, I highlighted the important areas for you.

Guilty as charged.  My apologies.

Now, Buzz’s first year gifted roster with four players that would go on to play in the NBA, three of them inherited from the previous coach vs Wojo’s roster this year, yet we had people wanting to fire the coach then, too.

Thus the point.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
Cheeks, you're obsessed with obsessing about former coaches.  It truly amazes me how much time you spend discussing former coaches at Marquette.  At least you started a thread for this one, as about 95% of the other threads get derailed into this BS.

I am often responding to a post that is talking about a former coach.  The simple approach would be to stop bringing up the former coach and then people won’t respond about the former coaches.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »
You constantly harp on the "bad publicity". In a very localized small area(ie the MU community) they got bad publicity, but you make it sound so bad, that there was bad publicity nationally. Not even close...no one outside of the general area knew, or even cared. It's not like National radio shows were talking about it, it's not like people in Tennessee or Texas knew about it, or much less cared. I mean the only reason people even remember it now, is because you keep bringing it up..It was a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things...I mean the University got worse publicity for firing McAdams for essentially nothing...and that was even talked about nationally at times..The whole Buzz/rape ALLEGATION thing...not even close.

False.  ESPN carried the story as did others. 

Secondly, what happens in the local community where the university is...matters.  It also matters when the third largest city in the nation has it splashed on the front pages of the paper multiple times.  This wasn’t something that was just contained to a small town like Blacksburg, VA, Bloomington, IN or Waco, TX.   This happened in a major US city...Milwaukee...and got plenty of coverage in Chicago and was not without mention nationally on some sports outlets.

Again, you are not an alum, your opinion on how this affected alumni I don’t care about because you aren’t one. You have no skin in the game.  I get that many alums don’t care either, and some alums want us to flat out cheat and just win baby...but many alums did care, as did the administration.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »
It was the headline on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.  It was no small story.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
It was the headline on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.  It was no small story.

Right, I said it was a big deal perhaps locally(ie MU's "base"). But it's not like this thing was national news and people in Texas, California, Tennessee, from one coast to the other and all points in between knew about it...nowhere close...and even if some random person/people heard some short "story" about it...you know what their reaction would have been?? Probably first was "Where is Marquette University"?? 2nd..They would have shrugged their shoulders...they had no dog in the hunt. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's what most people do if it doesn't involve someone they know...they may say "oh that's horrible", and then they move on with their day and their lives.

The OJ Simpson/ Aaron Hernandez stories...now THOSE were national news stories.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
Where the Amazing Craptastical Thread?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
The obsession continues.

Is there a reason any of us should care about the guy?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
The obsession continues.

Is there a reason any of us should care about the guy?

An obsession about Ty Outlaw?  I would have posted the articles about any starter for a S16 team getting charged with possession of drugs before their first tournament game.  If Zion, Cassius, or Tremont had done this, would we not all be talking about it?  Yea I took a shot at Buzz, but posting about a college basketball student athlete (even one for another school) is hardly out of left field.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:30:00 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
I do like that the original thread was blaming the HC, after our all time leading scorer:
1. Drove to the basket and tried to lay it in with 11 seconds left in the shot clock and 15 in the game.
2. Got caught ball watching and let his guy go backdoor for a lay up to lose the game.

Pakuni

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
Meh.
Outlaw obviously is an idiot here, but I don't think this reflects poorly on Buzz. This could have happened anywhere.

It was mostly a commentary on the hilarious timing of it all.  The Buzz hype train should be pulling out of Blacksburg heading for College Station right about now, and yet all the top articles about VT are about Outlaw, and the whole situation.  Agree that it doesn't really reflect too poorly on Buzz and it won't stop the Buzz hype train, but it won't be fueling it like any VT articles would be had this not happened. 
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »
I took plenty at him, yup....but never said to fire him ( not for his X’s and O’s, and I don’t recall even with the Crapstorm of bad press his program unfurled did I make such a statement....maybe someone can find one). In fact, went out of my way multiple times to say don’t fire him.  That’s the difference.   Yes, glad he’s gone and there were plenty in the administration that felt and still feel that way.

God are you full of it. You "never said fire him" but were attacking him and his players (personal, ugly stuff that no fan would ever do) from the get go. And this was long before a recruit got a ride home and a t-shirt or anyone was accused (accused, remember, not arrested, indicted or convicted. you claim it makes a difference - unless you play for Buzz Williams) of sexual assault.

You didn't want him fired but attacked him constantly. Hypocrisy.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
God are you full of it. You "never said fire him" but were attacking him and his players (personal, ugly stuff that no fan would ever do) from the get go. And this was long before a recruit got a ride home and a t-shirt or anyone was accused (accused, remember, not arrested, indicted or convicted. you claim it makes a difference - unless you play for Buzz Williams) of sexual assault.

Lenny you just won the internet..well done my friend, well done.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
Right, I said it was a big deal perhaps locally(ie MU's "base"). But it's not like this thing was national news and people in Texas, California, Tennessee, from one coast to the other and all points in between knew about it...nowhere close...and even if some random person/people heard some short "story" about it...you know what their reaction would have been?? Probably first was "Where is Marquette University"?? 2nd..They would have shrugged their shoulders...they had no dog in the hunt. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's what most people do if it doesn't involve someone they know...they may say "oh that's horrible", and then they move on with their day and their lives.

The OJ Simpson/ Aaron Hernandez stories...now THOSE were national news stories.

You are not an alum.  If you were, you would know how critical being in the Chicago Tribune in that prominent location was.  A huge number of our students come from Chicagoland, as well as alumni that reside there.  Critical area for the school.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 05:42:19 PM »

Oh that’s right, I’m not a Marquette fan....classic.  You may want to go back and do a search as your memory seems to be misaligned. 

In terms of hypocrisy, there are people here that attacking Wojo constantly but have said they don’t him fired....in your world I guess that isn’t possible.  Weird.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
Oh that’s right, I’m not a Marquette fan....classic.  You may want to go back and do a search as your memory seems to be misaligned. 

In terms of hypocrisy, there are people here that attacking Wojo constantly but have said they don’t him fired....in your world I guess that isn’t possible.  Weird.

I haven't seen anyone here attack Wojo as viciously as you went after Buzz. That said, his most relentless critics on Scoop are pretty open about wanting him gone. I've seen what I would consider poor judgement from them. Hypocrisy? Not so much.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
I haven't seen anyone here attack Wojo as viciously as you went after Buzz. That said, his most relentless critics on Scoop are pretty open about wanting him gone. I've seen what I would consider poor judgement from them. Hypocrisy? Not so much.

Were you keeping track, did you have a notebook by the bed? 

Some of Wojo’s critics, some have not because they are smart enough to know how dumb it would be right now.

I also defended Buzz, but that never made your notebook apparently.  Very good coach, should have been COY as I said.....also a lot of other stuff.  Glad he is gone. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
You are not an alum.  If you were, you would know how critical being in the Chicago Tribune in that prominent location was.  A huge number of our students come from Chicagoland, as well as alumni that reside there.  Critical area for the school.
I agree Chicago is fertile general student recruiting ground, but I have seen zero--ZERO--evidence that these stories and the allegations they contained had any influence on student recruitment.  I may have missed it though, and since you keep bringing this up I thought you would have the support for your claims handy.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »
I agree Chicago is fertile general student recruiting ground, but I have seen zero--ZERO--evidence that these stories and the allegations they contained had any influence on student recruitment.  I may have missed it though, and since you keep bringing this up I thought you would have the support for your claims handy.

One of the reasons MU made some wholesale changes to Policing at MU was concerns of parents about their daughters attending MU.  Back in the late 90’s I saw on a cross department committee to come up with recommendations for the school to address those concerns.  Years later, in talking to my former colleagues that were still there, having sexual assault concerns splashed all over the media was a heavy concern for the school.  We will never know true impact as kids say no to schools for any number of reasons they do not disclose in specificity.  Several people lost their jobs over what happened, I think that more that illustrates the gravity of the issue.

More importantly, you can’t let a few coaches run the university whether it is Buzz Williams, Urban Meyer, Bob Knight or anyone else.  Those folks work FOR the university, not the other way around.  The administration has to take control and realign some priorities....thankfully.

connie

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
I can agree with everything you said, but that doesn't answer the question.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
If buzz beats Duke, scoop better prepare for the category 5 crap storm

feedback