Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread  (Read 22591 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
Unpopular opinion but I think Buzz is overrated here. He had two great years, one of which anybody could've won with that team. He had 3/4 of a third great year with Crean's players before an injury.

2009- We were doing great but I feel like a better coach could've overcame a loss of James when you still have Jerel, Matthews and Hayward.

2010- Great coaching job.

2011- It's incredible to me that the sweet 16 overshadows how meh this season was.

2012- Great team but I think anybody could've coached this team to their record. Also they underperformed in March, the argument why? Because Florida was bad matchup and yet under wojo bad matchups are inexcusable.

2013- Great coaching year.

2014- Terrible coaching year and I've even seen posters associate this year as one of Wojo's faults. WTF

Buzz had a great run at MU truly but I think 2010 being a 6 seed and 2013 winning the BE were the only two masterful coaching performances.

Buzz is overrated as a coach and underrated as a talent evaluator.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
Amen, Doc. The "Choking dogs peeing down their legs" blog will always be Chico's "truth", his manifesto. In a difficult moment his true feelings came out and he spoke from the heart. He spoke without filter. Of course he regretted it later because he was exposed by his own words. He was anti Buzz from the jump and when it became clear (very early, to me and others) that Buzz was the real deal it meant that he was going to be exposed as wrong. He was a Marquette fan, sure, but a much bigger fan of himself. So for 6 years he minimized the team's accomplishments (great comebacks were the other teams choking, for example) and made huge deals out of minor internal problems that he ignored in past administrations (not talking about the sexual assault allegations - but a fight, a t-shirt, being in a club under 21, etc.). All because his need to be right, to be a big shot, to be an insider was greater than his love for Marquette. Sad.

Sorry, Lenny, but if it was just "a t-shirt" MU wouldn't have fired an assistant, suspended Buzz, felt obligated to hire a high priced firm to represent them in compliance matters (BSK) and had the NCAA visit campus.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
Sorry, Lenny, but if it was just "a t-shirt" MU wouldn't have fired an assistant, suspended Buzz, felt obligated to hire a high priced firm to represent them in compliance matters (BSK) and had the NCAA visit campus.

Yes...they would have..and they did. Larry Williams wanted to do everything he could to paint Buzz in a bad light.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
Unpopular opinion but I think Buzz is overrated here. He had two great years, one of which anybody could've won with that team. He had 3/4 of a third great year with Crean's players before an injury.

2009- We were doing great but I feel like a better coach could've overcame a loss of James when you still have Jerel, Matthews and Hayward.

2010- Great coaching job.

2011- It's incredible to me that the sweet 16 overshadows how meh this season was.

2012- Great team but I think anybody could've coached this team to their record. Also they underperformed in March, the argument why? Because Florida was bad matchup and yet under wojo bad matchups are inexcusable.

2013- Great coaching year.

2014- Terrible coaching year and I've even seen posters associate this year as one of Wojo's faults. WTF

Buzz had a great run at MU truly but I think 2010 being a 6 seed and 2013 winning the BE were the only two masterful coaching performances.

So let's see Galway, You think Buzz was overrated as a Coach, and yet Love Wojo...Okay, that's your choice, but..The above you posted, I could post EXACTLY the same about Wojo..What you say about 2012 for Buzz, is 100% applicable to Wojo this year..Great team, anybody could have Coached that team to the record they had, and I would argue even better, because a better Coach would NOT have had the 1-6 slide at the end the way Wojo did. And in fact, given the talent they had, I would say they underachieved, because of the late season slide. Prior to that, they were about where the talent dictated they should be.

Wojo also Coached a team with a future NBA lottery pick, and failed to make the tournament...a better Coach gets that team in the tournament.

I'm just saying, if you are going to say Buzz was overrated as a Coach...then how the hell can you love Wojo when he has accomplished a lot less to this point?? And as I said, your criticisms of Buzz as a Coach are also applicable to Wojo thus far..except for the Great Coaching season to this point. I hope he has one, I really do.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:38:21 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/hokies-say-outlaw-to-play-vs-duke-after-marijuana-arrest/2019/03/28/94ca9bc4-5172-11e9-bdb7-44f948cc0605_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e5848ce09769

I don't care about weed and I think that its stupid that we're still suspending and charging guys for something that is legal in half the country, so I'm glad he's playing. But that being said, what the hell difference does a drug test make vis-a-vis what he's charged with?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
Yes...they would have..and they did. Larry Williams wanted to do everything he could to paint Buzz in a bad light.

yeah, keep believing that. LOL.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
yeah, keep believing that. LOL.

I happen to know what went on with all of that, is that okay??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
I don't care about weed and I think that its stupid that we're still suspending and charging guys for something that is legal in half the country, so I'm glad he's playing. But that being said, what the hell difference does a drug test make vis-a-vis what he's charged with?

This is Va Tech trying to say he took a 3rd party test and putting into question the original citation....deflection.  It's like "my client took a lie detector test" from a certified agency....worth nothing but some public opinion PR.  This outcome that he plays is absolutely not surprising at all, Buzz has nothing to lose before heading off to A&M where TAMU awaits.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
So let's see Galway, You think Buzz was overrated as a Coach, and yet Love Wojo...Okay, that's your choice, but..The above you posted, I could post EXACTLY the same about Wojo..What you say about 2012 for Buzz, is 100% applicable to Wojo this year..Great team, anybody could have Coached that team to the record they had, and I would argue even better, because a better Coach would NOT have had the 1-6 slide at the end the way Wojo did. And in fact, given the talent they had, I would say they underachieved, because of the late season slide. Prior to that, they were about where the talent dictated they should be.

Wojo also Coached a team with a future NBA lottery pick, and failed to make the tournament...a better Coach gets that team in the tournament.

I'm just saying, if you are going to say Buzz was overrated as a Coach...then how the hell can you love Wojo when he has accomplished a lot less to this point?? And as I said, your criticisms of Buzz as a Coach are also applicable to Wojo thus far..except for the Great Coaching season to this point. I hope he has one, I really do.

I was glad Buzz left because the program was trending down.  He took a team coming off an Elite 8 and picked to win the league and missed the tournament.  That can’t happen at any elite program
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »

First, I don't love Wojo. I believe I'm on the record about a week ago saying I'm off the Wojo train. I believe he should get to coach next year as he hasn't really had a full class come through his system (Sacar and Heldt are all that's left from Henry's class). But I'm far from in love with Wojo.

I'm not sure anyone could've coached this team, you would need a coach who truly embraces the three ball. I'm sure there's coaches who could've done better but not anyone could've done it. As opposed to 2012 where we had a super efficient centre, a banger of a PF that could hit from outside, a super fast shooting guard that could slash to the rim and hit from outside, a great defending guard good for a decent few point, a good long backup PF(C when Gardner was injured), and a good backup SG as much of a head case as he was. That team was much more complete in my opinion and would've won no matter the coaching philosophy.

Who was the NBA lottery pick? I'm assuming you mean Henry but he was not a lottery pick.

As far as the Henry team goes I agree it was a missed opportunity, could a better coach gotten us there? Maybe, I believe we were that Depaul fantom foul away from being in the Tournament, maybe Belmont as well so yeah maybe they might've made it.

I'm not on here to defend wojo though, I'm merely pointing out that yours and others memories of Buzz are a bit too rosey.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
As far as the Henry team goes I agree it was a missed opportunity, could a better coach gotten us there? Maybe, I believe we were that Depaul fantom foul away from being in the Tournament, maybe Belmont as well so yeah maybe they might've made it.

The Henry team was a win or two away from being a tourney team? They weren't even in the NIT. 3 more wins and they would've been on the bubble, needed at least 4 to be assured a bid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
The Henry team was a win or two away from being a tourney team? They weren't even in the NIT. 3 more wins and they would've been on the bubble, needed at least 4 to be assured a bid.

I sort of view them like SJU this year, where if we'd gotten to 500 in BE play,  that the crap schedule wouldn't have mattered anymore.

I have no bracketology proving this and I know creighton was .500 but it's just my blind opinion that the committee isn't leaving out a 21 or 22 win .500 BE team. But I've been wrong before, I was convinced that the 2018 team had done enough to be in the tournament so what do I know
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:57:51 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:39 PM »
Sort of like Erin Andrews article by you calling her out wasn’t a good look.

This has become an interesting pattern for you, chicos.

Whenever you are desperately struggling to keep pace with me during one of our debates, you bring up Erin Andrews out of the blue, even though my 2008 column about her has nothing to do with whatever topic we are discussing.

It is the goalpost shifting of all goalpost shifting by an expert goalpost shifter and poor debater.

It is a pathetic attempt to gain the upper hand when you are feeling defeated, as you figure that changing the subject will get me to back down because you have "something" on me.

You have nothing on me. That column's not some secret that nobody knows about. It was read by millions of people, it wasn't the least bit hypocritical, and the facts in it were confirmed by everybody who was there. Among those who supported my take were numerous female sports journalists, including Marquette alums Trenni Kusnierek and Nancy Armour.

But nice try. Again.

Lenny has had you pegged from Day 1 and deserves credit for it. You didn't fool anybody a couple of years ago when you returned from one of your many "permanent bans" and begged forgiveness and claimed you'd changed. And you don't fool anybody now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »

100% agreed - weed possession now is basically at (or below) the level of an underage drinking ticket on the "gasp" meter.  But whether he actually smoked the weed doesn't matter when it comes to the charge.  As another poster said, it's just a convenient way for Buzz to have his guy play, and neither Buzz nor Outlaw will be at VT much longer to face any consequences. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
I agree completely. Those of you who think someone should be suspended over weed, do you drink at all?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
I happen to know what went on with all of that, is that okay??

I happened to know too - straight from the mouths of those MU had to hire. Is that ok?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
100% agreed - weed possession now is basically at (or below) the level of an underage drinking ticket on the "gasp" meter.  But whether he actually smoked the weed doesn't matter when it comes to the charge.  As another poster said, it's just a convenient way for Buzz to have his guy play, and neither Buzz nor Outlaw will be at VT much longer to face any consequences. 

It makes a difference because Outlaw is subject to random drug testing at an NCAA tournament game.  He wouldn't be eligible otherwise.  The test wasn't to assert his lack of guilt, because Buzz's statement addresses that he is still subject to VaTech's conduct policy, but to assert his eligibility.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
This is Va Tech trying to say he took a 3rd party test and putting into question the original citation....deflection.  It's like "my client took a lie detector test" from a certified agency....worth nothing but some public opinion PR.  This outcome that he plays is absolutely not surprising at all, Buzz has nothing to lose before heading off to A&M where TAMU awaits.

A weed violation. Who cares.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
We didn't part ways when Buzz inappropriately handled sexual assault allegations
We didn't part ways when Buzz got us on the cover of the Chicago Tribune
We didn't part ways when Buzz's assistant committed an infraction
We didn't part ways when Buzz's subordinate lied

We parted ways when the winning stopped

Buzz chose to leave.  Buzz stopped the winning before he left, his last year picked 1st and we finished 6th...no NIT.  His team, his roster, his decision.  The winning stopped BEFORE he left....and then he left.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
Buzz chose to leave.  Buzz stopped the winning before he left, his last year picked 1st and we finished 6th...no NIT.  His team, his roster, his decision.  The winning stopped BEFORE he left....and then he left.

Thanks for the clarification, while I have you, when does the other shoe drop?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, while I have you, when does the other shoe drop?

Didn’t you hear.....he gone...took a year off and collected millions from MU pretending to be our coach and took his shoes with him to Virginia....soon to be Texas.   Apparently Va Tech is no longer wanting him there...wasn’t that his mantra? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »
Cheeks

You and I are the only two guys that believe Buzz took his final year off at MU. I stopped caring if anyone believed it or not. There is no doubt in mind that character was revealed, again, during his final season at MU. I say it all the time, I am big Buzz guy, but I cannot dispute most claims against him.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
Cheeks

You and I are the only two guys that believe Buzz took his final year off at MU. I stopped caring if anyone believed it or not. There is no doubt in mind that character was revealed, again, during his final season at MU. I say it all the time, I am big Buzz guy, but I cannot dispute most claims against him.

He revealed his character and you agree with the bad things people say about him, yet you’re a “big Buzz guy”?