[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread  (Read 22430 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
Yup, for memory lane and it's fun to see some of the same folks that wanted Buzz fired now want Wojo fired.   I was accused of being one of these people, too bad I never said it and never wanted it, search Scoop is our friend.

Memory lane

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=13376.0
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
Re: Fire Buzz Williams memory lane thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
Yup, for memory lane and it's fun to see some of the same folks that wanted Buzz fired now want Wojo fired.   I was accused of being one of these people, too bad I never said it and never wanted it, search Scoop is our friend.

Memory lane

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=13376.0

You are a piece of work.. never wanted him fired yet all you do is take shot after shot after shot after shot at him now Chico's. You have even said you're glad he's gone. You are such a hypocrite..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Still waiting for all the dirt you got to be revealed too...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:07:28 AM »
Interestingly our season this year mirrored that 09 season pretty well in terms of record, when we started choking, and disappointment
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
A lot of those arguments parallel wojo. To bad its wojos 5th year instead of 1st and he didnt just lose his pg. He just never had one

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:22:34 AM »
Posters were of much higher quality back then.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 05:27:22 AM »
A lot of those arguments parallel wojo. To bad its wojos 5th year instead of 1st and he didnt just lose his pg. He just never had one

So did the season

Peak at 23-4? Check

Lose last four of the regular season? Check

Win a game in the BET before losing again? Check

First weekend exit in the tournament? Check

Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 07:07:09 AM »
Still waiting for all the dirt you got to be revealed too...
Ask Herm...they run in the same circles...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:22:30 AM »
Cheeks, you bumped this thread for the second time?  OK.
Skianth is consistently unhappy.
I still miss BMA.   Damn you ners.
10 years and there are still a bunch of drive by fans who only come here after losses to vent.  And prove the adage about it being  better to remain silent and be thought a fool than opening  your mouth and removing all doubt.

Fans aren't rational after losses.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »
10 years and there are still a bunch of drive by fans who only come here after losses to vent.  And prove the adage about it being  better to remain silent and be thought a fool than opening  your mouth and removing all doubt.

+1

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:06 AM »

Fans aren't rational after losses

Easiest way to solve this?? Lose as little as possible. Novel concept, I know.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
Or grow up.   Novel concept, I know.   

Look, some team (for the sake of argument, UNC) is going to lose the championship game.   And their fan base is going to lose its collective minds about how bad their coach is, all his failings, blah blah blahbity blahbity blah.   If there was an endless pool of great coaches out there, everyone would have one.     Assuming the next coach is going to be better is like the guy afraid of commitment who is always convinced the next woman is going to be better, never recognizing that the problem might be him. 
  None of these blue bloods were created overnight.    And none of them were created by running a coach quickly.     OK, maybe UNC, but they were already a dynasty and ol' Roy was inevitable.      I don't know if Wojo is the answer.    I do know this.   If MU gets the reputation as a school that runs their coach at the first sign of unhappiness, the line of retread coaches fired from their old jobs or assistants looking for their first jobs who want to be the head coach at MU is not going to get longer.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
Or grow up.   Novel concept, I know.   

Look, some team (for the sake of argument, UNC) is going to lose the championship game.   And their fan base is going to lose its collective minds about how bad their coach is, all his failings, blah blah blahbity blahbity blah.   If there was an endless pool of great coaches out there, everyone would have one.     Assuming the next coach is going to be better is like the guy afraid of commitment who is always convinced the next woman is going to be better, never recognizing that the problem might be him. 
  None of these blue bloods were created overnight.    And none of them were created by running a coach quickly.     OK, maybe UNC, but they were already a dynasty and ol' Roy was inevitable.      I don't know if Wojo is the answer.    I do know this.   If MU gets the reputation as a school that runs their coach at the first sign of unhappiness, the line of retread coaches fired from their old jobs or assistants looking for their first jobs who want to be the head coach at MU is not going to get longer.

Tower, come on. If you were half the fan that guru is, you'd realize how BS your whole post is.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »

Do you really want to compare the rosters each inherited in year one?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
Tower, come on. If you were half the fan that guru is, you'd realize how BS your whole post is.
I will have to live with my inadequacies.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
Do you really want to compare the rosters each inherited in year one?

From wojo's 5th year and Buzz's 1st. Sure. But the statement was more based on the arguments in the thread. The coaching error ones. The ones were still bitching about wojo in year 5. Buzz was far from an amazing coach in his 1st year. He learned though. Wojo continues to make the same mistakes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »

Hey, you're the one(of many many many), that's okay with where the program is right now..I for one am not. Let me ask it this way...If Wojo came here and started with all of his own guys from the get go, would you be okay with where the program is currently at??

I think way too many people are giving him a pass for his first year, and blaming Buzz for what he left behind. I realize it almost never happens, but A. MU did NOT have to release the recruits, and more importantly,B. Wojo could have done a quicker fix, had he chose to, at least for the first year or two.

If they do no better next year then this year with what everyone say will be a better team, will you continue to give him a pass?? What will the excuse be?? Someone was hurt, someone left so it wasn't the team you/we thought it was going to be?? 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
From wojo's 5th year and Buzz's 1st. Sure. But the statement was more based on the arguments in the thread. The coaching error ones. The ones were still bitching about wojo in year 5. Buzz was far from an amazing coach in his 1st year. He learned though. Wojo continues to make the same mistakes.

Disagree with the bolded, and I guess that's one of the major divides on the board right now, aina?

To pull in the "system" debate from one of the other threads, Buzz was better at selling his system, or at least in a way the fanbase could understand. Everyone could understand and get on board with paint touches and switchables.  We caught onto some key concepts of his philosophy, and it made it easier to cite to specific growth as a coach.

TAMU's post in that thread about the way Wojo's system mirrors a lot of elements of Duke's, though, was the first time i ever saw a good distillation of what we run. It doesn't mean that to the staff or team its less clear, but its much more difficult for even advanced fans to grasp. Even with that though, I don't think Wojo is just making the same mistakes over and over, or to the extent he is, its more a personnel issue for me. There's only so much you can do schematically with guys like MH, Rowsey, Heldt, Joey Hauser.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »

Having not seen the first bump (yet), I enjoyed this thread. I always get a kick out of seeing some people who claim to know so much being so wrong. Even some of the language was the same, including the always-popular, "I hope he proves me wrong, but ... " line.

And, tower ... some fans aren't even rational after wins! I mean Ners spent a good week calling Wojo an idiot for running the play that worked at Creighton!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »
Waitin' on T-Cube's Memorial Soccer Complex donation.

Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
You are a piece of work.. never wanted him fired yet all you do is take shot after shot after shot after shot at him now Chico's. You have even said you're glad he's gone. You are such a hypocrite..

I took plenty at him, yup....but never said to fire him ( not for his X’s and O’s, and I don’t recall even with the Crapstorm of bad press his program unfurled did I make such a statement....maybe someone can find one). In fact, went out of my way multiple times to say don’t fire him.  That’s the difference.   Yes, glad he’s gone and there were plenty in the administration that felt and still feel that way. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:07:14 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »

That is very unfair. I get super excited when the walk ons play. And when the Badgers lose.

In reality, I vent here when we lose. And I talk about final fours when we're winning. At the end of the day, this is a just message board. It's not real life. When it comes to real life, keeping a level head is important. When it comes to words you type on the internet, in a forum with very narrow appeal, there is no consequence to being an emotional rollercoaster. My deepest apologies if my internet emotions are not consistent and rational enough for your liking.

What I find to actually be a bit concerning is people who spend enough time here to re-hash posts from 10 years ago. How obsessed do you have to be to remember this stuff and bring it back up?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:29:12 AM by skianth16 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »

Uhm yeah, year one roster for Buzz inherited to year one roster Buzz left Wojo..........................

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
That is very unfair. I get super excited when the walk ons play. And when the Badgers lose.

In reality, I vent here when we lose. And I talk about final fours when we're winning. At the end of the day, this is a just message board. It's not real life. When it comes to real life, keeping a level head is important. When it comes to words you type on the internet, in a forum with very narrow appeal, there is no consequence to being an emotional rollercoaster. My deepest apologies if my internet emotions are not consistent and rational enough for your liking.

What I find to actually be a bit concerning is people who spend enough time here to re-hash posts from 10 years ago. How obsessed do you have to be to remember this stuff and bring it back up?

The search takes about three seconds, copy and pasting another 10.  Someone said I wanted Buzz fired, that was flat out wrong and I provided the evidence of it.  Simple as that.

And if it helps to show the reflex craziness of Scoop, which 8ncludes some of my goofy proclamations, then probably a healthy thing. 

Looking forward to development this Summer by the team and coaches, a successful year in 19-20.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:42:35 AM by Cheeks »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »
Uhm yeah, year one roster for Buzz inherited to year one roster Buzz left Wojo..........................

Since there are those with a Marquette education that apparently cannot read context, I highlighted the important areas for you.

feedback