Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Can Keep Shaka  (Read 7833 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Texas Can Keep Shaka
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 12:41:26 AM »

I'll support whoever we hire, even Shaka. But I have to say that I'm not fond of the idea of firing a guy because he couldn't win an NCAA tournament game in 7 years and turning around and hiring a guy who couldn't win an NCAA tournament game in 8 years - capped by an epic loss to a school that was in D2 just a few years ago. Not to mention he already spurned us once.

I think the last sentence is a bigger obstacle than his tourney record at Texas.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 07:37:24 AM »
Due to the fickle nature of fandom, shouldn't MU try to land the coach of Abilene Christian?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 07:45:08 AM »
It's really spooky how similar Shaka's Texas post-season compares to Wojo.  Shaka is just a touch better.

Wojo, 2 NCAAs, both one and dones.  Shaka, 3 NCAAs, all one and dones.

Wojo, 1 NIT, won a couple games .. Shaka, 1 NIT, won it.

Shaka better .. not by much.  I guess that's what you get for $3.2m?
I think it is easier to recruit talent to a big state school with a football team than it is to recruit to MU.
I think Wojo would do better at Texas.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
If Wojo had Stan at Texas he would of cleaned up pretty well. Hard to compare any of this stuff.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 08:28:38 AM »
Smart can recruit, but so could Tom Herman and the alumni really liked how that worked out.  Talk about a coaches buyout.  I presume Smart is really going to get scrutinized as he exits the plane in Austin and deserving so.  I had not realized he had not won an NCAA game there, which is pretty crazy.  Don't recall the announcing crew ever bringing that up during broadcast.

The recruits on the team include: (Rivals rankings)

Greg Brown #10
Matt Coleman #46
Andrew Jones #22
Courtney Ramey #42
Jericho Sims #59
Kai Jones #59, different class from Sims
Gerald Liddell #63 (transfer portal)

Per NBA Draft Net for the 2021 draft:

Greg Brown   Top 20 pick, he played 6 minutes last night
Kai Jones       Lottery pick
Jericho Sims.   Second Round pick

With a roster like that, losing to AC and you have an interesting week in Austin.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 08:33:17 AM »
Fook it. Let's hire Mark Few, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »
4ever

82 cannot rile up the troops with his Wojo getting canned posts, so this is a new attempt to create some action. If he truly would cross Shaka off the list after last night, I am glad he is not running the program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 09:13:08 AM »
Due to the fickle nature of fandom, shouldn't MU try to land the coach of Abilene Christian?

Only if the Oral Roberts coach turns us down.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »

I know you're being a jerk, but my guess is he's going to be coaching somewhere other than ACU next year. They've made the tourney twice in the 4 years they've been D1, finished second in regular season play the last three years, and now have one more NCAAT win than Wojo will probably ever get. We should do better with our hire, but we certainly could do worse.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
4ever

82 cannot rile up the troops with his Wojo getting canned posts, so this is a new attempt to create some action. If he truly would cross Shaka off the list after last night, I am glad he is not running the program.

Goose, I also am glad I'm not running the program.

I liked your argument for Shaka on the other thread, and I've moved over there, too.

Have a great Sunday.

(You too, Doc.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »

Shaka still has 7 NCAA wins & a NIT Championship. I'm not sure he's the best choice, but he's definitely not the worst. His teams are always strong defensively & he's a great recruiter. Between Jones' cancer, Roach's injury, and Hayes going from sub-100 recruit to one-and-done, he's had some terrible luck too. Maybe that's karma for his Final Four run, but I'd still be excited to get him.

Agree, Brew. Shaka has accomplishments (FF, 7 NCAA wins, an NIT Championship and multiple conference tournament championships - including this year’s Big 12 title) and failures (like yesterday). Whether or not he’s the guy is open to debate. Whether his clunkers are better or worse than Wojo’s is, too. What’s not open to debate? Shaka has successes to mitigate his failures. Wojo doesn’t. Any fair comparison of the two rates Shaka light years ahead.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »
Fook it. Let's hire Mark Few, aina?

Sorry, according to the Texas board, that's who they are targeting. Well, only if Donovan says no. If Few and Donovan say no, apparently they will settle for Stevens or Wright.

Separate thought. I expect Depaul to try to get involved with Shaka. Donovan is with the Bulls now and is a significant mentor to Shaka, might make being in Chicago (or Milwaukee) more enticing as a reboot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:00:00 AM by forgetful »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »
I think the realistic name for Texas is Chris Beard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
I think the realistic name for Texas is Chris Beard.

Possible, but I think Underwood may be more likely.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »

Lots of interesting arguments for and against Coach Smart. A big part of me thinks Marquette will not pursue him, if he is even interested. We really do not know what happened is the prior courtship, but I would not be surprised if MU will not go down that road again.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2021, 06:56:14 PM »
Agree, Brew. Shaka has accomplishments (FF, 7 NCAA wins, an NIT Championship and multiple conference tournament championships - including this year’s Big 12 title) and failures (like yesterday). Whether or not he’s the guy is open to debate. Whether his clunkers are better or worse than Wojo’s is, too. What’s not open to debate? Shaka has successes to mitigate his failures. Wojo doesn’t. Any fair comparison of the two rates Shaka light years ahead.
Spot on Lenny
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.