collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128917 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2475 on: March 27, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »
Boris Johnson tests positive.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2476 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »

Dr. Trump on line one: "One of the reasons the UK, basically, has been: It's got the border; it's got very strong borders. And they're doing a very good job. They don't have very much infection at this point, and hopefully they'll keep it that way."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2477 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »

I apologize if this is too political, but based on all candidates right now being in their 70s, I wonder what happens in the Presidential Election. Unless they campaign via Zoom Meetings, they will probably be more at risk based on the travel and interactions with multiple people. Hopefully, we have a treatment by then, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Biden or Trump get it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2478 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »
I apologize if this is too political, but based on all candidates right now being in their 70s, I wonder what happens in the Presidential Election. Unless they campaign via Zoom Meetings, they will probably be more at risk based on the travel and interactions with multiple people. Hopefully, we have a treatment by then, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Biden or Trump get it.

I've thought the same. Both Trump and Pence have been unbelievably lucky after multiple exposures and I don't know if Biden has confirmed exposure but sounds like Rand Paul made sure every Senator did. Have to imagine the luck would run out as the schedule got more and more intense with meetings and events
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2479 on: March 27, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Mayo Clinic, MIT and others partner with Amazon Web Services and Microsoft to form "COVID-19 Coalition." The goal is for the organizations to being their broad and diverse expertise and resources together to develop and deploy solutions to the crisis. Of note:

*Each organization is contributing its own resources and staff,
*Any solutions will be freely shared and open source, and
*None of the participants will be paid for their work.

Other notable participants include the University of California, Rush University and Intermountain Healthcare.

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2020/for-the-benefit-of-all-mayo-partners-with-amazon-microsoft-and-others-in-fight-against-covid-19

https://c19hcc.org/static/img/insights/COVID19-Healthcare-Coalition-Launch-News-Release.pdf

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2480 on: March 27, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »
94% of covid tests coming back negative in WI according to DHS.

great news.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2481 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:04 AM »

great news.

Any idea if WI has looser guidelines on who can be tested?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2482 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »

great news.

That is great news and with testing, my bet is we can start getting back to normal in more areas. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2483 on: March 27, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »

Don't know what the guidelines are, but this link (https://covidtracking.com/data/) lists total # tested, positive, etc.

FWIW: WI has tested 12,290, with 707 positive results (94.2% negative). By comparison, MN has tested 12,950, with 346 positive results (97.3% negative).

On the flip side, MI has tested only 9,406, but has 2,856 positives (only 69.6% negative), and MO has tested only 871, and has 502 positives (only 42.3% negative).

From the looks of it, the straightforward matter of access to testing seems to be a pretty significant factor in reporting the infection rates. Therefore the actual infection rates may not be known (if ever) until access to testing is near-universal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2484 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
In Pritzker's presser yesterday, the public health doctor (sorry I forget her name) said the state's cases are still growing quickly, as expected, but it is below where they projected.

I think that is also relatively good news.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2486 on: March 27, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2487 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:50 AM »
The mistakes that turned New York into an epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-mistakes-that-turned-new-york-into-an-epicenter-of-the-coronavirus-epidemic-090040375.html

Yeah, I've read a few accounts like this. Disturbing.

Not easy, but De Blasio's response was even worse than Trump's, and he has handled it equally badly (if not worse) since then.

Hopefully, he will get punished at the ballot box and we won't hear from him again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2488 on: March 27, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
The mistakes that turned New York into an epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-mistakes-that-turned-new-york-into-an-epicenter-of-the-coronavirus-epidemic-090040375.html

I think the criticisms of DiBlasio are fair. He has been inconsistent in his messaging, much like POTUS. And like POTUS, he typically deflects blame to others when things aren't going well.

Cuomo, on the other hand, has become a star in how to handle a crisis like this. His responses have generally been consistent with medical recommendations, his demeanor has been calming while still conveying the gravity and uncertainty of the situation, and he has admitted when he may have made mistakes.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #2489 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
Well Governor Cuomo(who just a few days ago was trending on twitter and being lauded by millions for how he has handled this) disagrees. Says the stay at home order and closing businesses in NY was probably not the best public health strategy. Also said there is a NEED for both public health and economic growth and we CAN do both. Yet, the President was absolutely getting blasted for saying this..again, to think people don't have agendas because of their hatred for this president is a flat out lie. Where isr the outrage over these comments from Cuomo?? Who many bow down to?? All I hear is crickets all of a sudden.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closing-all-businesses-keeping-everyone-home-not-best-public-health-strategy

In a time of wild uncertainty and ambiguity, this was the most obvious revelation during this entire pandemic......
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:44:30 AM by onepostdavis »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2490 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

Not easy, but De Blasio's response was even worse than Trump's, and he has handled it equally badly (if not worse) since then.

Hopefully, he will get punished at the ballot box and we won't hear from him again.

I think he's term limited and cannot run again for mayor so when his term is done he's done.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2491 on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:04 AM »
Incompetence doesn't fall on partisan lines. Trump and DeBlasio have been equally terrible.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2492 on: March 27, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »

I don't think so.

My girlfriend's mom is a nurse who is directly treating two COVID-19 patients. She has had a low grade fever for almost a week. She cannot get a test.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:23:29 AM by BM1090 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2493 on: March 27, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
That is great news and with testing, my bet is we can start getting back to normal in more areas.

The bad news is that cases have doubled in the last two days in Wisconsin.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2494 on: March 27, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »

He's been an utter buffoon.  We listened to the De Blasio pressers (normally a few hours after Cuomo) daily.  That stopped after a few days last week.  He had nothing to add, wasn't reassuring, blamed anyone and everyone, and repeated worthless platitudes.  All he was missing was adding a stupid comment about how it didn't matter if people liked what he did or not cause they'd want to live in NYC regardless.  Remember when he wanted to join the Democratic primary? See ya never Bill

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2495 on: March 27, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »

Don't know what the guidelines are, but this link (https://covidtracking.com/data/) lists total # tested, positive, etc.

FWIW: WI has tested 12,290, with 707 positive results (94.2% negative). By comparison, MN has tested 12,950, with 346 positive results (97.3% negative).

On the flip side, MI has tested only 9,406, but has 2,856 positives (only 69.6% negative), and MO has tested only 871, and has 502 positives (only 42.3% negative).

From the looks of it, the straightforward matter of access to testing seems to be a pretty significant factor in reporting the infection rates. Therefore the actual infection rates may not be known (if ever) until access to testing is near-universal.

Had a dr appointment last week for my son (in Sheboygan) they screened us both at the door for symptoms fever, cough, sore throat, traveled recently...I then asked what if we did not pass screening do you test us and they laughed and said no we do not have those here.  They said you get sent home to quarantine for 14 days then if you are not better or much worse at any point call the hotline number and they will direct you to a testing site.
So to see 94% negative tests shocks me as it seems in WI they are testing those with severe symptoms only.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2496 on: March 27, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2497 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:02 PM »
Italy reporting 969 one day deaths.

https://twitter.com/MattMcBradley/status/1243578818876641288?s=19

Awful news, but not terribly surprising.  Those who got sick later and have no place to go with pass without help.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2498 on: March 27, 2020, 12:04:14 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2499 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
The head of a local health system was on television this morning saying that while medical equipment, like ventilators, is a problem.  The lack of qualified health personnel he thinks will end up being the larger one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback