'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nerds @ MU partying like 1988!  (Read 5990 times)

muhoosier260

• All American
Re: Nerds @ MU partying like 1988!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 03:23:44 AM »
Are we all assuming that moron who wrote/made up that article about drunk people in the MU Tribune was one of the Deutsche Banks out there with the dance team last night?
In 1988, 1978...probably even 1998, no self respecting male student would have been caught dead out there.
no. i think you are assuming this though. i was sitting right behind the group that went out there and he wasn't. i know that might disappoint you.
The 78s, 88s, 98s were too good to take part in this kind of buffoonery. Recent posts say that MU students of today are too lame to have this kind of fun.

garekis

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
How about theo's on wisconsin ave? That place had cheap drinks...

Theo's was awesome.  My buddoes and I lived in the old YMCA building (before it was converted into the nice res hall it is today).  Theo's had a rear deck for sipping your drinks in warmer weather. 

The jukebox had great music.  I remember one night a foreign exchange student from Japan with limited English skills singing "Bad to the Bone" into the wee hours of the night.  Hilarious.  Great memories. 

Indeed, Theo's was a super bar.  I miss it dearly.
-Garekis

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »
Lenny's

18th & State, right?

My intention isn't to make you feel old, but Lenny's was sort of a second home for my dad.  Probably still his all time favorite bar.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »
How about theo's on wisconsin ave? That place had cheap drinks...

Theo's was awesome.  My buddoes and I lived in the old YMCA building (before it was converted into the nice res hall it is today).  Theo's had a rear deck for sipping your drinks in warmer weather. 

The jukebox had great music.  I remember one night a foreign exchange student from Japan with limited English skills singing "Bad to the Bone" into the wee hours of the night.  Hilarious.  Great memories. 

Indeed, Theo's was a super bar.  I miss it dearly.
-Garekis

But John, you started looking a lot better after you stopped spending so much time in that place.

I miss Theos too
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 09:20:36 AM »
I will always have a soft spot for Hegarty's.   Living in Tower for 2 years might have something to do with it.   Closing it every Sunday night first semester junior year, dashing over there from Johnston hall for a quick game of pool and a pint when a prof was late for a final, getting a visiting poli-sci prof drunk on Guinness (thanks, Mr. Copa for picking up the tab) as we had a review session there.    Yup, Hegs.   Though I loved the Gym, Murphs, OD's, the Ardmore, O'Paget's too.   Never that fond of the 'lanche.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »
Lenny's

18th & State, right?

Wait, there was once a bar on 18th and State?  When did it close?

I have to hear more about this place and the opportunities I missed due to enrolling at MU in 2002 (and living like a half-block away from that tavern junior and senior year).

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
Lenny's

18th & State, right?

My intention isn't to make you feel old, but Lenny's was sort of a second home for my dad.  Probably still his all time favorite bar.

Super, super sketchy place. Closed in the late 90's, if I'm thinking of the right place. There was a sawed-off shotgun propped up behind the bar to ward off potential robberies.
We Are Marquette

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
Lenny's

18th & State, right?

Super, super sketchy place. Closed in the late 90's, if I'm thinking of the right place. There was a sawed-off shotgun propped up behind the bar to ward off potential robberies.

My dad graduated in '72 and it was sketchy back then, but still drew a pretty sizable Marquette crowd.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
Do Marquette students still go to Conway's on West Wells? That place was kind of funky, but fun.
We Are Marquette

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
I graduated in may of '07, i might be biased, but my class was the last true drinking class Marquette will see. Everyone before us knew how to drink and they past it on to us. Not to say that the senior class now is without its partiers but its not the same. Murphys would be full of people by 9:30 last year. Now... people wont come in until 11:30-12 oclock. they arent at cafferies either. you could put blame on the new enrollment standards, but i just think that current students cant drink worth a lick. Marquette is slowly (tempted to say quickly) losing its prominence as a drinking school. I guess we need go back to school and teach those kids how to drink.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
but my class was the last true drinking class Marquette will see. Everyone before us knew how to drink and they past it on to us.

So...uh...YOU are to blame for failing to teach the youngins how to drink????

Thanks for ruining the parties :P

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
I graduated in may of '07, i might be biased, but my class was the last true drinking class Marquette will see. Everyone before us knew how to drink and they past it on to us. Not to say that the senior class now is without its partiers but its not the same. Murphys would be full of people by 9:30 last year. Now... people wont come in until 11:30-12 oclock. they arent at cafferies either. you could put blame on the new enrollment standards, but i just think that current students cant drink worth a lick. Marquette is slowly (tempted to say quickly) losing its prominence as a drinking school. I guess we need go back to school and teach those kids how to drink.

This argument has been going on for two decades now. Marquette hit its peak as a party school in the 1980s and into the early 1990's before Marquette started buying up all of the bars to build Campus Town. The other factor was that in the 1980s there was a time when 18 or 19 year olds could legally drink. When that changed and then MU tore down all the bars, it was only a matter of time before drinking had less prominence at Marquette.
We Are Marquette

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
Lenny's

18th & State, right?

My dad graduated in '72 and it was sketchy back then, but still drew a pretty sizable Marquette crowd.

My brother graduated in 75 and he used to talk about Lenny's. The one story I remember was about a guy stumbling in the front door and the owner telling people people to get him outside. It turns out the guy had been stabbed and the owner didn't want the cops in the place. My brother tells the story that they sat at the bar and drank beers while the cops chalked out the poor fellow.
I don't remember the place in the 80's but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. The Greentree was at 19th and Stae I tHink. That place was scary sometimes.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
The Greentree.  Early '80's.  $2 all-you-can-drink beer until the keg was gone.   20 guys huddled with their little plastic cup slamming beer as fast as they can, trying to get that $2 buzz so we could move on to a bar that had girls in it. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.