Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Winter Update from Larry Williams  (Read 5838 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Winter Update from Larry Williams
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
From the Blue and Gold Newsletter emailed today.

Parse away, gentlemen:

First, and most importantly, Merry Christmas to you all.  The absolutely tragic events that recently occurred in Newtown, CT is yet another sobering reminder of how precious life is.  My hope is that the Christmas season allows you to take some time with those special to you.

Well I am coming up on my first anniversary with Marquette University, and it has been exciting.  You probably have now seen the official announcement that Marquette and six other like-minded non-FBS schools are separating from the Big East and will form the core of a new league. I have staunchly supported such a move.  In short, it allows us to control our destiny rather than have it dictated to us.  You should know that Father Pilarz has been an active participant in these leadership discussions.  He is keenly motivated to put our student athletes in the best position possible to achieve success, as he places great value in the contribution they make to our community.  It was gratifying to hear many say that finally, among all this uncertainty, some schools are making a move for the right reasons.   I am pleased to report that there is much excitement from media partners and others as to the future of such a league.  I will certainly share details as they become available over the next few months.  Initial feedback from our alumni and fans has been overwhelmingly supportive.

What makes Marquette an attractive partner in the new conference being formed as well as in all of our past associations has been the strength of all of our sports.  This fall very few schools in the country enjoyed the levels of success that we did here at Marquette.

The always-remarkable women's soccer program dominated Big East competition, and the classroom.  On the pitch they showed poise and grit in capturing the regular season and tournament crowns.  Their run to the sweet sixteen in the NCAA Championships was stellar, with only one penalty kick by BYU halting an even deeper run.

Speaking of grit, the men's soccer side was also remarkable.  Coach Louis and, as he calls them, the lads, spent the majority of the year in the conversations about the best squads in the country.  Know that these young men have displayed an uncanny focus on building a successful program.  And they are well on the way.  Achieving a bye in the first round of the NCAA Championships was a great milestone for the program.

And how about the consistent growth of our women's volleyball program.  Again they earned a spot in the NCAA Championships after capturing second place in the Big East regular season and post-season tournament.   We hosted that tournament in the AMC, and I know you would have all been proud when the Academic All-Conference members were introduced at the banquet - let's just say Marquette was really well represented!

Basketball is well underway now and things look promising.  The men's team has played (and thanks to a meteorological phenomenon commonly called evening dew - who knew? - were not been allowed to play) in some marquee games.  I am quite confident both squads will round into shape nicely before conference play starts.

So again, Merry Christmas, and Go Marquette!

Larry Williams
Vice President and Director of Athletics
Marquette University
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Winter Update from Larry Williams
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
As tough a start that he had, he has come into his own on the new conference. He is a deal maker in his background, and really is the right one for the job right now. I know he has worked behind the scenes for months to get this right deal in place. Kudos to LW on a great last six months.

He is not a back slapper type of AD that MU alums, especially the Milwaukee Mafia, are used to....and he did get off to a rocky start...but things are settling in nicely with him and hopefully the basketball team...and many alums are giving him props on the conference deal which is giving him more confidence. Let's face it, he came in at very rocky times. Here is to a great and stable 2013!

leever

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
From the Blue and Gold Newsletter emailed today.

Basketball is well underway now and things look promising.  The men's team has played (and thanks to a meteorological phenomenon commonly called evening dew - who knew? - were not been allowed to play) in some marquee games.  I am quite confident both squads will round into shape nicely before conference play starts.

So again, Merry Christmas, and Go Marquette!

Larry Williams
Vice President and Director of Athletics
Marquette University

Say what?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
I like him.  Straight forward, cuts to the chase, smart.  He said Merry Christmas...twice....extra points for me in a PC world.

JD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
I like him.  Straight forward, cuts to the chase, smart.  He said Merry Christmas...twice....extra points for me in a PC world.

Sending a letter to Alum, students, whatever, cashin' checks from a Jesuit school, i'd hope he'd say "Merry Christmas"
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
As tough a start that he had, he has come into his own on the new conference. He is a deal maker in his background, and really is the right one for the job right now. I know he has worked behind the scenes for months to get this right deal in place. Kudos to LW on a great last six months.

He is not a back slapper type of AD that MU alums, especially the Milwaukee Mafia, are used to....and he did get off to a rocky start...but things are settling in nicely with him and hopefully the basketball team...and many alums are giving him props on the conference deal which is giving him more confidence. Let's face it, he came in at very rocky times. Here is to a great and stable 2013!

Ya, but he's a domer.

Agree with everything  you said.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
I sent him a new golf hat for Xmas.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
That was excellent.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »
I like him.  Straight forward, cuts to the chase, smart.  He said Merry Christmas...twice....extra points for me in a PC world.

So here's a tangential question: I said to someone "Happy Holidays today." Why? Because, I have always just said happy holidays. It is, afterall, the holiday season.

The answer was, "Oh, you can't say 'Merry Christmas?'"

Is it bizarre that those that are so offended by the fact that someone might be offended by the terms "Merry Christmas" are now offended when someone says to them anything other than Merry Christmas?

What a strange world we live in....

PS. Chicos - this isn't really in response to your comment, which I have no problem with. Just something on my three glasses of bourbon mind.

Happy Holidays to all. And, Merry Christmas too.....And drink Blanton's....EDIT:  Oh, and Happy Festivus.

PS. Oh, and I thought it was a nice message from LW. I wonder what kind of hat he was wearing when he wrote it...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:24:33 PM by MUCam »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
i say happy holidays because i don't know if my audience is christian, jewish, etc.  i don't do it to be PC...i just do it to show that i have respect for all religions.  that's what my catholic childhood taught me to do.  i sometimes think that those who are so defensive show an insecurity in their beliefs.  so to all you MU scoopers...happy holidays, however you celebrate them.  

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
It is the thought that counts, because Mr. Williams' grammar is, well, terrible.

It is surprising that a Jesuit school would ever allow such such a poorly crafted letter to be sent to the "Blue and Gold" world, or anyone else, for that matter. It is even more surprising that a person of Mr. Williams education level would sign such a letter.

Nonetheless, as noted, it is the thought and spirit that counts.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Yeah, I find it strange that a generic greeting that has been around for decades, and is even the name of a Christmas song, is all of the sudden considered "politically correct."

But the War on Christmas meme is good for a laugh or two at least....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
So here's a tangential question: I said to someone "Happy Holidays today." Why? Because, I have always just said happy holidays. It is, afterall, the holiday season.

Is it bizarre that those that are so offended by the fact that someone might be offended by the terms "Merry Christmas" are now offended when someone says to them anything other than Merry Christmas?

What a strange world we live in....

PS. Chicos - this isn't really in response to your comment, which I have no problem with. Just something on my three glasses of bourbon mind.

Happy Holidays to all. And, Merry Christmas too.....And drink Blanton's....EDIT:  Oh, and Happy Festivus.

PS. Oh, and I thought it was a nice message from LW. I wonder what kind of hat he was wearing when he wrote it...

eh, I'm more of a Buffalo Trace and Pappy fan, but happy holidays to you as well!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
I say Merry Christmas.  It's one I practice.  My Jewish friends, I hope they say Happy Hanukah, it's what they practice.  When people say Happy Holidays to me, I say "Thank you, we plan on having a very Merry Christmas and I wish you the same".

To each their own.  I mention it only because the copy writer sensors out there that typically proof all this stuff very rarely let that one get through anymore.  Perhaps he just wrote it without any vetting from anyone else.  Things are so sanitized now, I was a little startled to see it, even if it comes from a Catholic university. 

Merry Christmas everyone.  Have a safe holiday.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
I say Merry Christmas.  It's one I practice.  My Jewish friends, I hope they say Happy Hanukah, it's what they practice.  When people say Happy Holidays to me, I say "Thank you, we plan on having a very Merry Christmas and I wish you the same".

To each their own.  I mention it only because the copy writer sensors out there that typically proof all this stuff very rarely let that one get through anymore.  Perhaps he just wrote it without any vetting from anyone else.  Things are so sanitized now, I was a little startled to see it, even if it comes from a Catholic university. 

Right, but do you prefer Blanton's, Buffalo Trace or Pappy? Which is really an unfair question, because Pappy is like the Holy Grail of Bourbons...

Merry Christmas.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

If I'm talking to a group I know doesn't have any of my Jewish friends in it, I'll say Merry Christmas.  If its a mixed group or a work email that I know likely will be a mixed group, I'll say Happy Holidays.  Its not meant to be PC, but rather to be inclusive out of respect for my peers.  I feel like people go overboard in the other direction in response to the PC push for Happy Holidays.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

Given the grammar, maybe LW and his editors are members of the "three glasses of Blantons" club.

Regardless, Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to him and all MU Scoopers!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »
Agreed Lenny!!! Merry Christmas to everyone on the scoop!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »

I think I'd respond to that, "I can, but I don't want you think I want you to have a sh**ty New Year."

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Merry Christmas to all of the Scoopers who get me through the work week, who i sometimes hate, but always love.

JD.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
IMO, Larry started out poorly and I was not a fan.   I have been impressed with him over the last couple of weeks.   If he has really been one of the driving forces behind the C7 going out on their own, then I will tip my sweatstained MU ballcap to him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
IMO, Larry started out poorly and I was not a fan.   I have been impressed with him over the last couple of weeks.   If he has really been one of the driving forces behind the C7 going out on their own, then I will tip my sweatstained MU ballcap to him.   

Agree and in the spirit of the season a hint for LW on how to lose the sweat stains - put the hat in the dish washing machine on normal. Hat will be as good as new and you'll look as good as a guy can look given that the khakis, blazer, baseball cap is your choice of ensembles.

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
Two things:

1) Was listening to the ESPNU College Basketball podcast hosted by Andy Katz & Seth Greenberg.  They had Mike Brey on as a guest and Brey wished them both a Merry Christmas!  Made me laugh.

2) Ran into LW at the UWGB game.  I thanked him for "freeing us from football."  He chuckled, said "You're Welcome!" and shook my hand with a big grin on his face.  I'm 6'3", pushing 240.  He about took me down with his grip.  Remember that the next time you want to rip the guy!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

I thought you couldn't possibly get any lamer, but I stand corrected.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

Agreed.  Hope he concentrates on the new conference stuff (he seems to have a good handle on it) while sitting back and letting Buzz do his thang.