Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 6553 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Jake Thomas
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
Now that we are two under the schollie limit, does he reconsider and stay?

My impression is he is leaving so he does not have to pay.  I understand his parents did not want to shell out 30k so he can ride the bench.  But if Buzz can offer him a schollie, will he stay?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Let's not waste another scholarship year on the great white experiment. Try to grab Black and find a 6'10 body to redshirt.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
Let's not waste another scholarship year on the great white experiment. Try to grab Black and find a 6'10 body to redshirt.

Pun intended?
Have some patience, FFS.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

I'm ok with grabbing a project to redshirt, but I'm thinking we need to worry more about positions 1-3 rather than getting Black who plays the 4-5.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:34:59 AM by g0lden3agle »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
I would like Thomas to return.  Right now our backcourt options are simply based on potential.  No idea if any of the freshman can come in and contribute.  Can they pick up the defense?

I would not mind having a two guard that has spent two years in Buzz's system that can help to mentor the incoming players.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm ok with grabbing a project to redcrap, but I'm thinking we need to worry more about positions 1-3 rather than getting Black who plays the 4-5. 

We just play bigger than we have in the past. Wilson and Taylor are more than capable of playing the 3 and I'm confident the frosh guards we have will be able to produce from day 1.

C: Otule/Gardner
PF: Black/McKay
3: Wilson/Taylor/Burton
2: Mayo/Johnson/Burton
1: Duane/Derrick/Dawson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
We just play bigger than we have in the past. Wilson and Taylor are more than capable of playing the 3 and I'm confident the frosh guards we have will be able to produce from day 1.

C: Otule/Gardner
PF: Black/McKay
3: Wilson/Taylor/Burton
2: Mayo/Johnson/Burton
1: Duane/Derrick/Dawson

"Contribute?"  Definitely.

"Play a leading role on a team that potentially is pre season top 10?"  Not too sure about that.

That being said, I am sure someone will emerge but all we are talking about is potential here.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »

"Contribute?"  Definitely.

"Play a leading role on a team that potentially is pre season top 10?"  Not too sure about that.

That being said, I am sure someone will emerge but all we are talking about is potential here.

They don't have to play a leading role. Gardner, Wilson, McKay, Mayo and potentially Black can handle the majority of the scoring load. The tradeoff isn't really between frosh guards and a stud transfer, but frosh guards and whatever Lockett-type we would be able to find.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »
They don't have to play a leading role. Gardner, Wilson, McKay, Mayo and potentially Black can handle the majority of the scoring load. The tradeoff isn't really between frosh guards and a stud transfer, but frosh guards and whatever Lockett-type we would be able to find.

Black's not coming here and I don't think Mayo can be counted on for much IMO.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
He still rides the bench, not good enough

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
The freshmen will have to make immediate impact and I have no problem with that. Makes no different what year you are if you can play the game. I no longer believe we are top 15 team going into next year, but if young guys play big it could still happen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
Looking at the current transfer list, I'm not sure what the best option would be. I don't think Thomas would get many more minutes next year than he did this past year. Guys like JJJ and Mayo will still be ahead of him. The guy that might be missing the opportunity more is Jamal Ferguson, who probably would have projected to more minutes with both Blue and Juan gone.

I see names out there like Jeremy Adams and Lasan Kromah that do nothing for me. Maybe Jerron Granberry would be a good option to play immediately, but how much could be expected from a guy that averaged 10.6 ppg in 3 years at North Florida?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
Look, here is how I view it.  MU has *two* openings for next year.  I would take a one year player for one of them, but would rather have Jake Thomas than someone like a Granberry.  Then you still have the scholarship for 2014.

I wouldn't mind using the other one on some sort of project big man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
Jake Thomas? Time to move on and replace a potential AA that is leaving. This major college ball and you need to upgrade talent and retaining jake is not getting that done.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
Jake Thomas? Time to move on and replace a potential AA that is leaving. This major college ball and you need to upgrade talent and retaining jake is not getting that done.

With what Goose?  A JUCO transfer who can play immediately?  That is something I would be fine with.

But another 2013 guard?  Eh....I would rather have a guy back with some experience and still use the scholie in 2014.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
Terror

Get another Juco.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
I'd rather get a project who could redshirt a year and contribute for four more down the road. I'm excited about Duane Wilson's potential, but don't see Derrick Wilson as more than a 10-15 minute a game player. Hope Buzz is searching his JC contacts for a point guard who could contribute immediately.

Are we sure Todd Mayo will be back? He had a turbulent and not productive season.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »

Well put, Goose. Thinking Jake Thomas adds anything is ridiculous.

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
How about getting nobody and play with the 11, 11 kids that can play.  Now you will only have one or two upset with no playing time plus you have Swanson a walk-on, give him the
schooly if he is any good.  MU will be fine next year, Duane Wilson will have to grow up quickly.  I see Derrick playing D and Duane playing O, much like this year with Derrick probably
getting some more O opportunites if he improves this summer.   Mayo and Johnson might be better than Blue, and any person taking Juans place will be better.  They will be fine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
IMHO, Jamal Ferguson > Jake Thomas.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
Someone needs to explain the fascination with Jake Thomas.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
Thomas is terrible! I seriously hope people are joking about bringing him back. He was a shooter who was afraid to shoot and couldn't make his own shot.

We might as well bring Roseboro or Mcmorrow!

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
This thread needs to be deleted.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »
How about getting nobody and play with the 11, 11 kids that can play.  

Then you have a mid-season transfer, two injuries, and somebody who struggles and you're down to 7 kids that can play.  I pray we're done with the days of self-imposing scholarship penalties on our program for our own failures to retain and recruit for open spots.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
Then you have a mid-season transfer, two injuries, and somebody who struggles and you're down to 7 kids that can play.  I pray we're done with the days of self-imposing scholarship penalties on our program for our own failures to retain and recruit for open spots.

I think Al only played about 7 players a year.  You do have Swanson so that is 12 on the team.  He probably is a good mid-major player.  If what you says happens, they will be trouble
anyway.  More importantly you need a another good recruiting year with only 8 players back the following year, need to sign at least 4 players, and 2 of them will get solid PT time in
the rotation.  One center and one power forward.