Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 6562 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »
I think Al only played about 7 players a year.  

What Al did isn't relevant to what Buzz is going to do.  Buzz won a number of games because he went deep into his bench last year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

What Al did isn't relevant to what Buzz is going to do.  Buzz won a number of games because he went deep into his bench last year.

He also won a number of games the previous four years when he didn't have anywhere near as much depth, including two Sweet 16 runs with 7-man rotations.

Buzz has become quite adept at working with what he has.

That being said, our depth will be just fine next season -- maybe even excellent -- as long as the newcomers are as good as advertised.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Thinking about the recent "movement", it strikes me that the "loser" (as in lost opportunity) in all this is Jamal Ferguson.

He would now be in a great position to advance himself and his career. He played the right position and he had the speed for offensive transition and defense. In addition, Ferguson seemed to be an instinctive player. Instinctive players are rare and different than physically gifted ones - think Crowder and Gardner as instinctive players.

Anyway, all this is water over the proverbial dam. No doubt Coach Williams will take whatever hand he has been dealt and make it work.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
Thinking about the recent "movement", it strikes me that the "loser" (as in lost opportunity) in all this is Jamal Ferguson.

He would now be in a great position to advance himself and his career. He played the right position and he had the speed for offensive transition and defense. In addition, Ferguson seemed to be an instinctive player. Instinctive players are rare and different than physically gifted ones - think Crowder and Gardner as instinctive players.

Anyway, all this is water over the proverbial dam. No doubt Coach Williams will take whatever hand he has been dealt and make it work.

I would bet that Ferguson knew that this stuff was going to happen.  Presumably, he knew that Thomas and Juan were gone before we all did.  Also, he probably also knew that Van was leaning toward the draft.  Even with all that, he still decided to leave.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
It would be really great if we could bring Jake back to sit on the bench for us. He worked really hard during practice. ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
I would bet that Ferguson knew that this stuff was going to happen.  Presumably, he knew that Thomas and Juan were gone before we all did.  Also, he probably also knew that Van was leaning toward the draft.  Even with all that, he still decided to leave.

I hope it's because he played enough open gym with Du Wilson, JJJ and Deonte Burton to know that all that movement wouldn't help him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
It would be really great if we could bring Jake back to sit on the bench for us. He worked really hard during practice. ::)

You know, I know people love to rip on players here who don't perform or live up to expectations, but having a guard that has gone through two years of Buzz's practices...who is smart...who understands what Buzz wants on the defensive end, etc. can be very valuable with three young guards coming in.

I fully expect that if Jake returns that he won't play much.  However that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring value. 

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »

You know, I know people love to rip on players here who don't perform or live up to expectations, but having a guard that has gone through two years of Buzz's practices...who is smart...who understands what Buzz wants on the defensive end, etc. can be very valuable with three young guards coming in.

I fully expect that if Jake returns that he won't play much.  However that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring value. 

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
No...Rudy was a liar and a fraud.

I have portrayed Thomas as nothing more than he is.  (And I can't believe that *I* am the one who is actually sees some value in him.)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
This was Jake's "freshman" year in high level D1 ball. 

If he returns, he will be better.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »

He is not good. He did not show one game of potential. We are in the Buzz Williams era. Maybe if we were in the Mike Deane era and MU was mediocre I would advocate for this.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
He is not good. He did not show one game of potential. We are in the Buzz Williams era. Maybe if we were in the Mike Deane era and MU was mediocre I would advocate for this.

You may be right.  I will trust Buzz's judgement.  If JT gets offered, good enough for me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »

Is reading something that is foreign to you?  Did you see that I said this:

"I fully expect that if Jake returns that he won't play much.  However that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring value."

The point is that I would rather have Jake there than some no-name project because of the intangibles that he can bring to a team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »

Is reading something that is foreign to you?  Did you see that I said this:

"I fully expect that if Jake returns that he won't play much.  However that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring value."

The point is that I would rather have Jake there than some no-name project because of the intangibles that he can bring to a team.

When you (rightly) predicted that Jake wouldn't do much in 2012-13, you got ripped. Now you (also rightly) point out that he'd be a better bench player next year than just some new guy who's "just a guy" and you get ripped again. Sometimes you just can't win.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »

Whoop there it is!  

I would not be mad if Buzz brought Thomas back.  Not mad at all.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »
Jake was on the wrong team for him to be effective. We do not run screens to get three point shooters open. When we played Notre Dame in the Big East tournament their white guy had 6 or 7 threes against us and he was wide open on every shot. Jake was never that wide open in our offense. Actually, I think that is one of the reasons why we were not a good three point shooting team.  Almost half of the threes we attempted were when the shot clock was running out and someone had to shoot. UW shoots a lot of threes with the clock winding down, but they have a shooter with his feet set ready to catch the ball and shoot. Our players are always looking to pass the ball first and are not set to take threes. Having said that we did not have great outside shooters, but I could see the shooters we had being more effective, if the offense had been designed to shoot threes. Gardner hit a three at the end of the Syracuse game, which I believe made him one out four for the year. Gardner probably would have shot at least 30 threes, if he played for the Badgers and I think he would of shot better than 35% on those threes. Three point shooting teams have an offense designed around the three. Last years offense was not designed to take threes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »

+1.  If Buzz can find serviceable players with good upside, great.  If the 2013-14 team can have Thomas or Mbao 2.0 which it may come down to with two spots to fill, I'll take Thomas.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
This thread should be stopped.  Jake is gone. Period.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

The point is that MU is no longer bringing in "some no-name project" player anymore. Buzz will no do that, nor will he waste a scholly on Jake. Jake can be a walk-on or the team manager.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »

So, So True!!!!!!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »
When you (rightly) predicted that Jake wouldn't do much in 2012-13, you got ripped. Now you (also rightly) point out that he'd be a better bench player next year than just some new guy who's "just a guy" and you get ripped again. Sometimes you just can't win.

That's a bit obtuse, Lenny...Is it not empirically better to have someone who can contribute something on the court than a guy who demonstrated an inability to perform at the level Marquette plays? Not sure what a "bench player" is, frankly 

Death on call

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
That's a bit obtuse, Lenny...Is it not empirically better to have someone who can contribute something on the court than a guy who demonstrated an inability to perform at the level Marquette plays? Not sure what a "bench player" is, frankly 
Bench player= good at practice, makes his teammates better every day at practice. Good off the court guy, motivates his teammates to do better in practice, in the classroom, etc... As a caveat, I have no idea if Jake Thomas fits this role...just doing my dialy job of Providing defintiions. ;D

In terms of it being "empirically better"...not sure...what if a bench/practice player can help improve the other players by X%...which would exceed what another player could actually provide in game situations?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Bench player= good at practice, makes his teammates better every day at practice. Good off the court guy, motivates his teammates to do better in practice, in the classroom, etc... As a caveat, I have no idea if Jake Thomas fits this role...just doing my dialy job of Providing defintiions. ;D

In terms of it being "empirically better"...not sure...what if a bench/practice player can help improve the other players by X%...which would exceed what another player could actually provide in game situations?

I am fairly certain from what we have seen from Buzz that players are good at practice or else...

I would think that a player improves at a greater rate scrimmaging against better rather than lesser players. Butch Lee said he thought he was good until he showed up at Marquette and had to go up against Lloyd Walton in practice every day.

Scholarships should be for players who will make game time contributions. Would you rather fly a brand new MiG 21 or an old, beat up F 16 leaking hydraulic fluid? I would take the Falcon 8 days a week. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
Jake Thomas, with his experience, could very well be better than any project that Buzz brings in next year.  He's smart...been in the system for two years now...and has three total years of D1 ball under his belt.  He clearly is overmatched at this level now, but what project-type player wouldn't be?  Would you rather have the next Mbao here?

I am not expecting anything out of Jake.  I wouldn't expect anything out of another player that is brought here now either.  He can at least bring experience and a knowledge of what Buzz wants to the practice floor, and that does have value.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
The point is that MU is no longer bringing in "some no-name project" player anymore. Buzz will no do that, nor will he waste a scholly on Jake. Jake can be a walk-on or the team manager.

Heh...