[Today at 01:04:50 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zags  (Read 15578 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Zags
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »
He didn’t sustain it based on what is deemed successful on this board.

What the hell are you even talking about?  Few has never missed the tourney.  Hasn't lost in the first round in over a decade.  Has lost in the first round 3 times in 20 years.  This board can be irrational and emotional, but don't be obtuse.  Nobody here has standards that Few and Gonzaga wouldn't meet.  Don't confuse dreams of National Titles and FF runs with what is deemed "successful"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen anyone say it is impossible.  It just doesn't make much sense.  There really is only one reason kind of makes sense:  Gonzaga has a great MBB program and as Big East fans, we'd love to see them play in our conference.  There are many, many reasons it doesn't make sense ranging from logistical, financial, academic, etc.

Hawaii presents a very unique situation because they have no choice if they want to compete at the D1 level.

Whether or not they have a choice they are demonstrating it can be done.

The Big East was founded as a basketball conference and it has always been a basketball conference. If MBB is the only reason it makes sense for Gonzaga to join the Big East, that is reason enough. Like it or not the other sports do not hold a candle to MBB.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2019, 02:08:58 PM »
The only school that would be inconvenienced is Gonzaga, and we could more than make up for it with TV revenue money.

One additional road trip per season for other schools is not a big deal.

I suspect that pretty much every athletic department in the Big East would strongly disagree with you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:01:10 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
I'm talking about budget costs.  But when one is as self-important and bitter as you, I can see how you would so badly misconstrue it.

I like you, Billy.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »
I don't know why people act like this is so impossible. The University of Hawaii literally does this for every sport, including football which has way more athletes than anything Gonzaga fields.

Um...... they don’t have a choice.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
Jockey

It warms my heart that you and Billy have each other. Nobody should ever be alone.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 02:13:22 PM »
Whether or not they have a choice they are demonstrating it can be done.

Well, you go ahead and keep on arguing that point.  I don't recall anyone taking the contrary opinion, but feel free to keep at it.

It's possible for me to fly to Santa Fe for lunch tomorrow.  It can be done.  Doesn't mean I'm going to do it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
I'm talking about budget costs.  But when one is as self-important and bitter as you, I can see how you would so badly misconstrue it.

Bitter?

I am told I am rather sweet. Unless I eat asparagus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
It's too bad that Denver's basketball team hasn't done anything.  Adding both Denver and the Zags would at least make it more of a logical extension.

They are already in the Big East and they win national championships in hockey and lacrosse so maybe a league upgrade would push them for a basketball upgrade.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
Um...... they don’t have a choice.

I think the point is not whether one has a choice, but rather is it even possible.  If it's not possible, there's no choice any way.

That said, I do not know the specifics of Hawaii's situation, specifically whether they subsidize the travel costs of visiting teams to the island.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
Bitter?

I am told I am rather sweet. Unless I eat asparagus.
bahahaha. Damn keefe it's nice to have you posting regularly again. very entertaining.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
I don't know why people act like this is so impossible. The University of Hawaii literally does this for every sport, including football which has way more athletes than anything Gonzaga fields.

It is easier for football, games are on Saturday and you fly out on Friday, missing one day of school.  There are typically 5 road games for football.

Hawaii's entire conference is in the state of California.  They fly to LA, they play Northridge, then 2 days later UC Irvine, etc.  One plane trip in, one out.

From November to January 17th they leave the state one time, and that's at Thanksgiving.  After Jan 17th, a total of four road trips, nothing east of Los Angeles.  Big East, you can bus from NYC to Philly, and Chicago to Milwaukee, but mostly you are going to be in a plane to plane situation.

You are right that it isn't impossible, but it would have to be where each trip is done in doubles, meaning Thursday / Saturday games on the road.  Why would they want to do it?  You're telling your alumni / fans that the games start at 4:00pm or 4:30pm....that isn't going to fly, or you are screwing over the team in NYC, Philly, etc to start their game at 9:00 or 9:30pm...that's not ideal.

But yes, not impossible....just feels highly impractical or financially sound for either party.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
Just move the effin campus to a pot legal state out east. Spokane=Racine with no lake.  Problem solved.

Gonzaga.....our pot smoking Jesuit brothers. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2019, 06:32:39 PM »
Jockey

It warms my heart that you and Billy have each other. Nobody should ever be alone.

Goose,

I have never met Billy and wouldn't know him if I passed him on the street. But, he adds a lot to this board.

I Know that you like neither my politics nor his. I am fine with that, and my guess is that he is as well - although I don't presume to talk for him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »
Goose,

I have never met Billy and wouldn't know him if I passed him on the street. But, he adds a lot to this board.

I Know that you like neither my politics nor his. I am fine with that, and my guess is that he is as well - although I don't presume to talk for him.

I have met Billy, but didn't realize it happened many years ago.  We definitely have had some disagreements, but glad he is on the board.  Good to have multiple people here with college athletics administrative background in my opinion.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
Goose,

Thank you, Jockey.  I appreciate the kind words. I am not here to talk politics, just MU sports and keep things fun but yet accurate.

If your avatar signifies you as a Canadian then you are truly a good dude. I love visiting the Great White North and find the people there among the nicest and most welcoming anywhere. Plus, I love Strange Brew!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:57:08 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
Just move the effin campus to a pot legal state out east. Spokane=Racine with no lake.  Problem solved.

Gonzaga.....our pot smoking Jesuit brothers.

I have been to Spokane. A man cannot get a good kringle there if his life depended on it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »
I have met Billy, but didn't realize it happened many years ago.  We definitely have had some disagreements, but glad he is on the board.  Good to have multiple people here with college athletics administrative background in my opinion.

Backyard Beer Summit II. Billy, how did you enjoy the free Disney tickets?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
Maybe, but there were Gonzaga discussions at the end of the old Big East as the Catholic 7 discussed who else to invite and Gonzaga was amongst the teams.  How real it was, who knows but the discussion was happening that long ago

I know that the Zags to BEAST was looked at hard by both sides. A former neighbor who has done very well at MSFT played baseball at Gonzaga and was part of a Task Force they had to look at the opportunity.

Around that same time I had coffee with Bill Russell who said that Gonzaga, USF, St Mary's, Loyola Marymount, BYU, etc... had been queried about forming a Big West counterpart that would be the AL to the Big East's NL. Russell thought it had merit but this was 5 years ago.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
Backyard Beer Summit II. Billy, how did you enjoy the free Disney tickets?

Cracks me up every time. That’s the phrase, correct?  Wasn’t in California by the way.  It was with me, Cheeks and Billy. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »
Backyard Beer Summit I

One of Scoop's finest moments. You simply cannot make up this sort of sh1t.

The fact that the Bail Bondsman continues to perpetuate the myth of the supposed Beer Summit, vociferously I might add, gives it that added luster worthy of a Scoop Hall of Shame moment.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
Thank you, Jockey.  I appreciate the kind words. I am not here to talk politics, just MU sports and keep things fun but yet accurate.

If your avatar signifies you as a Canadian then you are truly a good dude. I love visiting the Great White North and find the people there among the nicest and most welcoming anywhere. Plus, I love Strange Brew!

Peace, Brother Goose.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
Cracks me up every time. That’s the phrase, correct?  Wasn’t in California by the way.  It was with me, Cheeks and Billy.

You are not helping.  I have offered an easy way to prove this stuff out if needed.  BH doesn't live in Calif, but not for me to say where he does live. That's up to him if he wishes to share, though he kind of alluded to it in the weed comments.  We met long ago, in a bourbon drenched city far far far away.     

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2019, 07:23:47 PM »

You’ve come a long way from ‘what’s a chicos’

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2019, 07:24:43 PM »
One of Scoop's finest moments. You simply cannot make up this sort of sh1t.

The fact that the Bail Bondsman continues to perpetuate the myth of the supposed Beer Summit, vociferously I might add, gives it that added luster worthy of a Scoop Hall of Shame moment.

Excuse me my dear Colonel, please shed additional light.

feedback