Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zags  (Read 15618 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Zags
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:19 PM »
Watching the Zags today was a pure joy. The quality of play is humbling. Refreshing.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: Zags
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 12:22:49 AM »
We really do need to figure out how to make them being in the BE work. We need an injection after this past season.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 01:29:54 AM »
If they dont mind flying all over the place sure why not.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 01:50:49 AM »
We really do need to figure out how to make them being in the BE work. We need an injection after this past season.
They don't need us. They cut a deal to get a disproportionate share of their NCAA units.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/26/gonzaga-strikes-a-deal-to-get-more-out-of-ncaa-tou/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »
Superbar.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:40:34 AM »

If they could work out a MBB only deal, I agree that this would be fantastic. Otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
Watching the Zags today was a pure joy. The quality of play is humbling. Refreshing.

I mean, they were OK.  Could have just been an off night, or maybe it was FSU's defense, but that's not going to get it done this weekend. 

It's gotta be hard for Few to keep their edge since they rarely play many quality teams after the calendar turns.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »
Work on a teleportation device. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:10 AM »
I've always been a low-level Gonzaga fan because my brother went there.  I'm amazed how frequently I'll be talking with someone about college basketball and Gonzaga comes up and the response from them is how often Gonzaga chokes.  It absolutely amazes me.  This is a little school in the middle of nowhere that has made itself a national power.  The overwhelming majority of programs in the country would sell their souls to sniff the success that Gonzaga has had for the last couple decades.  I'm obviously aware that they haven't won the big one (and only made on FF), but come on...their record is the envy of most majors, much less mid-majors.

I would really love to seem the break through and win a championship.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
Hachimura and Brandon Clarke are great players

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
If they could work out a MBB only deal, I agree that this would be fantastic. Otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense.

My understanding is that this violates NCAA rules. I believe the only reason you are allowed to split your sports into different conferences is if your main conference doesn't offer the sport. So if we want Gonzaga, all the non-revenue sports come with them.

I would love to see them in the Big East. If there is a way the money makes sense, I hope they go for it. Not sure if that way exists.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
I've always been a low-level Gonzaga fan because my brother went there.  I'm amazed how frequently I'll be talking with someone about college basketball and Gonzaga comes up and the response from them is how often Gonzaga chokes.  It absolutely amazes me.  This is a little school in the middle of nowhere that has made itself a national power.  The overwhelming majority of programs in the country would sell their souls to sniff the success that Gonzaga has had for the last couple decades.  I'm obviously aware that they haven't won the big one (and only made on FF), but come on...their record is the envy of most majors, much less mid-majors.

Substitute “1967-1977” for now and you could substitute “Marquette” for “Gonzaga.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »
My understanding is that this violates NCAA rules. I believe the only reason you are allowed to split your sports into different conferences is if your main conference doesn't offer the sport. So if we want Gonzaga, all the non-revenue sports come with them.

I would love to see them in the Big East. If there is a way the money makes sense, I hope they go for it. Not sure if that way exists.

Viewing it through the non-rev sports perspective, I just don't see it.  I know that my daughter even dreads the Creighton trip.  It certainly doesn't help that the Big East has paired Creighton and Providence for travel purposes (at least for VB).  The weekend Omaha-Providence trip is a real grind.  I can't imagine them having to go all the way to Spokane.  I'd think that if they did end up bringing Gonzaga in, they'd either pick up another school out west to pair them with for travel purposes, or they would pair them with Creighton.  Then they'd pick up another school to pair with Providence (or shuffle someone else around).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »

Please stop, not happening and they would be stupid to do it, just as we would.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »

Stability.  They had many years of not going far but because their conference is so bad they would always get in. They could sell to recruits you will always make the tournament, and then it is a crapshoot where anything can happen.  Little by little they got better and better.  It helps that their history was marginal and didn’t have fans going crazy if they got knocked out early like we do.  Of course now they have a monster and will be interesting to see when Few retires what happens to them.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Substitute “1967-1977” for now and you could substitute “Marquette” for “Gonzaga.”

I agree that it is equally amazing -- probably more so -- what Marquette accomplished during the late 60s and 70s.  Most obviously, because they picked up a championship.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »
Amazing what can happen when a coach is given 20 years at one job instead of being fired by impatient fans after 5.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »
More importantly, wee kneed to find a wey to becum watt da Zags consistently have becum as a basketball power, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
Amazing what can happen when a coach is given 20 years at one job instead of being fired by impatient fans after 5.

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbingo

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »

It amazes me how coach Few recruits foreign athletes and how he gets his team to play at the "elite" level when they must. That being said, I wonder how many would want Gonzaga in the Beast if Few was no longer at Gonzaga.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
A friend in the college coaching ranks (Low D-1 assistant) tells me a lot of folks in CBB believe Gonzaga to actually be one of the more corrupt programs. The story is: getting money to players/families is much easier when doing it for international players, of which they've had plenty (Hachimura, Tillie and others this year).

Never pegged Few for this kind of a coach, but found it interesting to hear from someone in the biz.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
Work on a teleportation device.

Teleportation, at least the initial technology, requires that the subject be destroyed - atom by atom - at the departure and then reassembled at the destination.  This is going to give the road team a huge advantage, with essentially having a completely refreshed body and all every time they teleport.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 09:12:11 AM »
Teleportation, at least the initial technology, requires that the subject be destroyed - atom by atom - at the departure and then reassembled at the destination.  This is going to give the road team a huge advantage, with essentially having a completely refreshed body and all every time they teleport.
I know.  But it is still preferable to a half dozen more cross country flights a year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
A friend in the college coaching ranks (Low D-1 assistant) tells me a lot of folks in CBB believe Gonzaga to actually be one of the more corrupt programs. The story is: getting money to players/families is much easier when doing it for international players, of which they've had plenty (Hachimura, Tillie and others this year).

Never pegged Few for this kind of a coach, but found it interesting to hear from someone in the biz.

I have no idea if Gonzaga is cheating, and I've been around long enough to know that anything is possible.  That said, this sounds like something that people tell their boss when asked, "why can't we have the success Gonzaga is having?"  When someone is kicking your ass, it's often preferable to accuse them of cheating than to just admit you're getting beat.

Honest question for those who follow recruiting much more closely than I:  are these over-seas kids that Few is bringing in heavily recruited by other programs?  Is Few winning recruiting battles with other high profile programs, or is he finding/developing hidden gems?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »
Donny Daniels spent a decade recruiting for Rick Majerus at Utah. He recruited many of UCLA’s recent 3 Final Four teams. And he has spent many years since at Gonzaga under Few.

feedback